Subject: acka-voting-digest V2 #143
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest    Wednesday, September 3 1997    Volume 02 : Number 143

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 14:52:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2290

Proposal 2290
The Flat Earth Preservation Society
Red Barn (Dan Knapp)

     I was young and foolish then, I feel old and foolish now. 

     Create a rule that reads: 

     The Flat Earth Preservation Society exists. Its goal to prevent the
Round Earth Restoration
     Society from restoring a round shape to the Earth by building
enormous scissor-like
     machines to cut the tethers of the Earth's two dangling fragments. 
Unfortunately, the cost
     of such machines is very high -- 15,000 A$. 
     At any time, a player may make a contribution to the Flat Earth
Preservation Society by
     posting a public message containing a non-negative amount of A$ less
than that player's
     current balance that they wish to transfer to the Treasury on behalf
of the Flat Earth
     Preservation Society. If taxes should ever exist in Acka, such
contributions are
     tax-deductible. 
     The first player to make such a contribution becomes Chairman of the
Flat Earth
     Preservation Society, and it is his duty to keep track of how much
money has been
     transferred to the Treasury on the Society's behalf. Should this
player ever go on vacation
     or leave the game, the next player to contribute shall take over this
title and duty. 
     Once the Round Earth Restoration Society has raised 15,000 A$, a
large machine shall be
     built, and the southern fragment severed from the earth, and causing
the text in R1319
     which reads "Once an additional 15,000 A$ has been raised, the
southern fragment will be
     likewise joined, restoring a spherical shape to the Earth" to be
removed. Once an additional
     15,000 A$ has been raised, the southern fragment will be likewise
severed, maintaining a
     flat shape to the Earth. When that happens, the text reading "Once
the Round Earth
     Restoration Society has raised 15,000 A$, a large machine shall be
built, and the northern
     fragment joined to the earth, giving it a roughly hemispherical
shape." shall be removed
     from R1319. 
     {{[This leaves the Round Earth Restoration Society in existence,
since it may well wish to
     undertake new, prohibitively expensive, lifting-machines to recover
the fragments (or even
     to become an organization), but revokes its power.]}} 

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V2 #143
*********************************