Subject: Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #124
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Voting Digest)
To: acka-voting-digest

Ackanomic Voting Digest    Wednesday, July 23 1997    Volume 02 : Number 124

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 00:34:56 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2258

Proposal 2258
Capital Offices
Malenkai

{{[gist - create a 3rd class of offices called capital offices, which 
are basically tradeable offices.  The current tradeable offices are
hopelessly broken, this fixup will lay the groundwork for 2 new
independent ideas:

1) orgs owning offices
2) the office of sorceror as a tradeable office, expensive so that
orgs would generally own one.

The groundwork here would also make it easier to create other cool
tradeable offices (we could dump entities and gadgets, every empowered
thing could be an office ;-) ]}}

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------

I.  Amend rule 401, "Offices, Commonalities", in the following ways:

1) replace [at the top of the rule]

"
Offices are named, unownable entities, unless the rules specify otherwise
for a particular office.
"

with:

"
Offices are named, unownable entities, except for Capital Offices, which
are Tradeable entities.
" 

- ---------

1a) Add the following to the end of the text of section (i):

"
Players are the only entities eligible to serve as officers.
"

[This is a bug now with tradebable offices and entities that may hold
tradeable entities.  The next proposal will allow orgs to hold capital
offices, but I want to decouple this groundwork from that proposal,
because we may not want orgs to hold offices -- seperate vote.]

- ---------

2) replace [in section (iv)]

"
For any given Seat, there can be an "Acting" Officer only if the Seat
is vacant.
"

with:

"
A Capital Office is never filled in an Acting capacity, except as described
in rule 404.
";

and add the following to the end of section (iv):

"
An entity never holds a particular seat in both an Acting capacity and
a "normal" capacity.  If this ever appears to be the case, it is assumed
that they are holding the office in an Acting capacity only.
"
 
{{[rule 404 is impeachment.  The clause being replaced is wrong, we don't
play that way, so either the game is broken, or something else neuters
that clause (actually its the vacation rule with its godlike precedence,
and the impeachment rule, which impeaches the officer before the IP is
resolved).  IAC, we don't need it.  We need the gizz added to the end,
unfortunately, for a couple of loopholes]}}

- --------

3) Add "(except for Capital offices)" before the final period of section
(vi), clause b) [this is the bit where terms will allow the officer to 
act in an acting capacity until it is filled again.  We do *not* want
this for capital offices, but it will win by intra-rule precedence]

- ---------

4) Replace: 

"All offices are either Functional or Political." with:
"All offices are either Functional, Political or Capital." 

[in section (x).  The default will remain political (I want to change
that to a different word someday, like "fun" or something, but not here)];

and append the following to section (x):

"
Capital Offices are filled by the owner of the Office, when the owner
is an enitity eligible to hold Offices, otherwise such an Office remains
vacant.
"

- ----------

5) Append the following to the end of the text of section (ii):

"It is possible that an office has no duties.";

and append the following to the end of the text of sectionb (iii):

"It is possible than an office has no privileges."

{{[this is brought about by CFJ 439.  While I think that CFJ should be
judged FALSE, it raises an interesting point that this fixes]}}

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

II.  Amend rule 404, "Offices, Impeachment", as follows [Impeachment
of tradeable offices is horribly broken, IMO]:

1) replace

"
(iii) Upon submission of the IP, the Player in question shall no longer
be considered to hold the Seat, instead filling an "Acting" role for the
Office. There shall be no action taken to fill that Seat until the IP is
resolved.
"

with:

"
(iii) Upon submission of the IP, and while it remains unresolved, the
entity holding the Office shall be said to be holding it in an Acting
capacity.
"

2) Append the following text to the end of section (v):

"
If the office was a Capital Office, it is transferred Somewhere Else,
and becomes unowned.
"
 
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

III.  Amend rule 593, "Ackanomic Research Guild", to replace:

"
The Office of Wizard has one seat. This office is Tradeable, and is held 
by the player who possesses the seat, if any. When this seat is vacant
(and not buried), it is auctioned in a public Auction, with a minimum bid
of A$100.
"

with:

"
The Office of Wizard is a Capital Office with one seat.  When the office
is in the Treasury or Somewhere Else, it is auctioned in a public 
Auction, with a minimum bid of A$100.
"
 
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 1040, "Party Hall" as follows [this thing has been amended 20
times already :-)]:

1) replace [at the top of the rule]:

"
I. Party Hall is an Institution. Party Hall is in session when there are
three or more Swingers.
"

with:

"
I. Party Hall is an Institution.  Party Hall is in session when at least
3 Swinger Offices are filled.
"

{{[this wording change is important, because capital offices always
exist in the treasury]}}

- -------

2) Replace:

"
      II. The number of members of Party Hall is equal to the number of 
Parties plus the number of Capital Swingers plus one. Each member is a
Political Officer known as a Swinger. The Office of Swinger is an Optional
Political Office.
"

with:

"
      II. The number of members of Party Hall is equal to the number of 
Parties plus the number of Capital Swinger offices filled plus one. 
Each member is an Officer known as a Swinger.  Capital Swingers are
Capital Offices; otherwise the Office of Swinger is an Optional Political
Office.
" 

3) Replace section III, subsection B with:

"
B. Capital Swingers - 

Capital Swinger Offices are Capital Offices.  Whenever an enity that
is any type of Swinger acquires a Capital Swimger's office, the newly
acquired office is transferred to the Treasury.

The number of Capital Swinger offices that exist in the Treasury at
any one time is 7 less the number of non-Warm Swinger Offices in
Party Hall.  If there is ever a different amount in the Treasury,
Capital Swinger offices are created or destroyed in the Treasury so
that the proper number exist there.

If a Capital Swinger Office exists in the Treasury, then:

1. Any player who is not currently a Swinger may announce eir desire
to purchase an Office of Capital Swinger from the Treasury.

2. An amount of A$ equal (100 + (Number of Swingers in Party Hall
multiplied by 50)) is transferred from that player's account to the
Treasury.

3. The player names the Office a legal Ackanomic name; upon doing so,
it is transferred from the Treasury to the player.

4. A Capital Swinger may resign at any time. In such a case, the Office of 
Swinger e resigned from is transferred to the Treasury.  All of the Party
Chess pieces associated with it are destroyed.
"

4) Append the following to section V.:

"
At the completion of this process, the Capital Swinger office in question
is transferred to the Treasury.
"

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 255, "Vacationing", to replace:

"
(including possible non-assignment) of these duties.
"

with:

"
(including possible non-assignment) of these duties (or the office).
"

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #124
**************************************