Subject: Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #103
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Voting Digest)
To: acka-voting-digest

Ackanomic Voting Digest     Sunday, June 29 1997     Volume 02 : Number 103

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 00:11:34 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2183

Proposal 2183
Generic Proposal Title #2183
Vynd

Create a new Rule numbered 860 with the name "I claim this planet in the
name of Mars!" and the following text:

In addition to his other duties, it is a privilige of the Ambassador to
choose the official name for any new Nomic which he discovers.  The
Ambassador may, as a public action, declare that he has discovered a new
Nomic, and it's name is "X", where X is the name which he has chosen.
This name may not be the same as that of any entity in Ackanomic, or of
any other Nomic.  It is also the Ambassador's duty to accurately include
the name of the Nomic in it's native tongue (the name used by the Nomic's
players to refer to it) in any such declaration.  This name, while not
official, may be used in place of the official name in all cases where it
is not specificly forbidden.  It is possible for a Nomic's native name to
be the same as it's official name.

Once such a declaration has been made, a 7 day waiting period begins.
Durring this waiting period,the President or the Speaker may publicly
object to the official name of the new Nomic.

If the 7 day waiting period ends without objection, then the newly
discovered Nomic's official and native names are added to the lsit of
known Nomics below.  If an objection is made by the President or Speaker,
then the names of the Nomic are not added to the list below, and the
Ambassador may not make another official name declaration about the newly
discovered nomic in question for at least 14 days, and may never again
suggest using the objectionable name as an official name for a Nomic.

It is the duty and privilige of the Ambassador to keep the native names of
other Nomic's current with the name it's natives (players) are currently
using.  The Ambassador may change the native name of any Nomic on the
known Nomics list by publicly announcing the change.  it is a Crime to
change the nativ name of a Nomic to anything other than the name that the
players (or members, or natives) of that Nomic use to describe it.

The list of known Nomics (note that this list is not necessarily
inclusive, in that other rules may describe non-Acka Nomics not found
here):

"Thatcher Farms"  - known to it's natives as Thring

"Hot Banana Roofing"  - known in it's native language as Rishonomic

"Wibble Hawks Roam Free"  - known as Micronomic II to it's inhabitants

"Thoth Army Refugees"  - known to it's citizines as Agora

"Hardly any Strafing"  - called Pumpkin Patch Nomic by natives

"Charter to Freedom"  - called InterNomic by its (few) natives

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 09:59:44 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2184

Proposal 2184
I said what?
Vynd

This is a Modest Proposal

{{[Some minor fixes to dumb things I've said in my proposals.]}}

Ammend Rule 910 The Ackanomicon by removing the sentence "Reading this
page is considered a use of a Paranormal Power by the reading Player."
from the the end of the paragraph begining "Mutation".

{{[The whole point of the page is to give the player a psi power, but
scold and Mold would then immediately use alien sedatives to take it away
again.]}}

Further ammend Rule 910 The Ackanomicon by adding the following to the end
of the rule:

Not so Forbidden Fruit (4 pages): The player has an out of body experience
in which he is transported to an primordial jungle where he is worshiped
as a god by the natives.  Upon waking up, he will find that all he has
left to remember it by is an Amber Banana.

Ancient One (1 page):  The player warps time and space with a terrifying
incantation of power, summoning the Ancient Powers into his presence.  The
Chartruse Goose is immediately transfered into his possesion, and it's not
happy.  If the reading player was already in possesion of the Chartruse
Goose, then it goes Somewhere Else (and is REALLY not happy).

{{[Sorry, had to do it.]}}

Ammend Rule 1320 This is the way the world ends by adding the following as
a seperate paragraph at the end of the Rule:

This Rule takes precedence over any other Rule discussing the End of the
World, or the singing of the Fat Lady.

{{[Otherwise, she wouldn't be singing R.E.M. like she's supposed to.  =(
And now one I didn't write.]}}

Ammend Rule 1319 Round Earth Restoration Society by deleting the following
text from the second paragraph:

The first player to make such a contribution becomes Chairman of the
Round Earth Restoration Society, and it is his duty to keep track of how
much money has been transfered to the Treasury on the Society's behalf.
Should the player ever go on vacation or leave the game, the next player
to contribute shall take over the title and duty.

And replace it with the following:

It is a duty of the Financier to keep track of how much money has been
donated to the Treasury on behalf of the Society, and by whom.

{{[The old system takes something that is really quite easy to keep track
of, and brings in the possibilities of all kinds of problems when the
Chairman-ship changes hands, much like the now corrected problem of the
Mad Scientist having to track all parts ever submited for a Monster,
accepted or not...]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 13:31:58 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P2151 accepted (Advanced Topics in Literature)

Proposal 2151
Advanced Topics in Literature
Vynd

Votes cast by active players:  15 / 20 = 75.000000%
Yes:  9    No:  6     Present:  1   ...Proposal accepted.

YES votes:
	Atilla the Pun
	/dev/joe
	Calvin N Hobbes
	Alfvaen
	ThinMan
	Karma
	Malenkai
	Vynd
	Vulcan Unity vote

NO votes:
	Antimatter
	Niccolo Flychuck
	Rex Mundi
	Techno
	Mohammed
	Guy Fawkes

PRESENT votes:
	two-star

Active players who did not vote:
	breadbox
	Mr. Lunatic Fringe
	You can call me Al
	mr cwm
	Robert Sevin
	CarsesraC
	fnord

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 2151
Advanced Topics in Literature
Vynd
Distributed at 02:43:55 on Sunday, 22 June 1997

Ammend Rule 210 Literature in the following manner.

Delete the following phrase, enclosed in quotation marks, from the first
sentence of section A). "found below in section IV"

Add the following text, contained within the $$$ signs, between part B)
and part II.

$$$

C) Even if the quotation meets the above requirements, it is invalid if it
is does not actually become part of a Rule, or a Rule in and of itself.
Quotations are invalid if they are contained within double curly braces as
described in Rule 346, unless the entire text of the proposal is in double
curly braces.  [In other words, the quote has to actually go into the
ruleset, as opposed to being Self Deleting text.]

$$$

Delete section III and replace it with the following text, enclosed within
the !!! signs.

!!!

III.  A proposal is a Great Work if it meets the following requirements:

a)  All of the text that is ammended to a Rule, or becomes part of a new
rule, consists entirely of quotations and citations as described in
section I.

b) It creates at least one new rule, or makes at least one ammendment to
existing rules, and these ammendments and new rules must include a total 
of at least 42 words quoted as described in section I.

c) It is not Modest.

If a proposal that is a Great Work passes, then the player who authored
the Great Work will gain A$200 in royalties, in addition to any other
bonus or penalties caused by the passage of the proposal.  All players who
voted against a Great Work that was accepted will lose 7 points, for their
poor taste, in addition to any other bonuses or penalties caused by the
passage of the proposal.  Great Works that do not pass have no special
effects.

!!!

Delete section IV and replace it with the text enclosed within %%% below.

%%%

IV.  The Literature list is not a Rule, nor part of a Rule, but rather
a document on which is kept the list of sources that can be quoted as
Literature by following the procedures described in this rule.  Entries on
the Literature list can be either Artists of Works.  They must follow the
format of: Artist (or Work): name of Artist ; descriptive information.
Artists can be any individual, or any group of people who collaborated to
produce quotable material [For example, The Police].  Works are some type
of recording of words.  Collections of connected works [such as the Star
Wars trilogy] are permissible as a single entry, but not collections of
unconnected works [such as an anthology of work by several authors].
Descriptive information is information that helps to clarify exactly who
or what a given entry on the list refers to [Artist: The Police ; band
with Sting as lead singer.  ;  or Artist: George Washington ; First
President of the USA].  Any entries on the Literature list which do not
abide by this rule, and follow the format described above, are invalid and
cannot be quoted from.  Inclusion of descriptive information is, however,
optional.  The Literature list may only be altered through the use of
Proposals or the Spelling Bee.

It is a duty of the Web-Harfer to maintain a publicly available copy of
the Literature list, and to link it with this Rule.  He is encouraged, but
by no means required, to maintain links to sites about the various sources
on the list.

%%%

When this proposal passes, the text of the Literature list will contain
all of the sources listed in Rule 210.  These sources, as well as the line
"The Literature list:" immediately preceeding them, will then be deleted
from Rule 210.

Place the following paragrpah at the end of the Rule (after all other
paragraphs).

This Rule takes precedence over all other Rules dealing with Literature,
the Literature list, and Great Works.

{{[OK.  Here is the much hyped additions to the list that I offered to
lump together.  As before, I urge you not to vote this proposal down just
because you don't like one or two of the people on this list, or because I
didn't include your suggestions.  Plenty of time for that after the other
stuff gets fixed.  Of course, if you don't like my fixes, that's a whole
other problem.  I, of course, urge you to vote for it anyway.]}}

Add the following sources to the Literature list:

Artist: Monty Python's Flying Circus
Artist: Dr. Seuss ; children's author
Artist: Douglas Adams
Artist: Terry Pratchett
Artist: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Artist: Albert Camus
Artist: Leo Tolstoy
Artist: Descartes
Artist: Chaucer
Artist: Charles Dickens
Artist: Plato
Artist: Aristotle
Artist: Sophocles
Artist: Ayn Rand
Artist: Jean-Paul Sartre
Artist: Hermann Hesse
Artist: T.S. Elliot
Artist: William Butler Yeats
Artist: Paul Simon ; with or without Garfunkel
Artist: Friedrich Nietzsche
Work: The Prince ; by Machiavelli
Work: The Decameron ; by Boccacio
Artist: George Orwell
Artist: Aldous Huxley
Artist: Oscar Wilde
Artist: Winston Churchill
Work: The Art of War ; by Sun-Tzu
Work: the Star Wars trilogy ; original three films
Artist: Dante Alighieri ; you know, The Inferno guy
Work: The Aeneid
Artist: W.H. Auden
Work: It's a Wonderful Life ; film
Work: the Magna Carta

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 13:31:57 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P2150 accepted (Good thing Malenkai didn't pick Spades)

Proposal 2150
Good thing Malenkai didn't pick Spades
/dev/joe

Votes cast by active players:  16 / 20 = 80.000000%
Yes:  13    No:  3     Present:  1   ...Proposal accepted.

#award /dev/joe: 2 A$ : elec. potato P2150, June 29

YES votes:
	Atilla the Pun
	/dev/joe
	two-star
	Calvin N Hobbes
	Alfvaen
	Rex Mundi
	breadbox
	ThinMan
	Malenkai
	Mohammed
	Vynd
	Guy Fawkes
	Vulcan Unity vote

NO votes:
	Antimatter
	Niccolo Flychuck
	Techno

PRESENT votes:
	Karma

Active players who did not vote:
	Mr. Lunatic Fringe
	You can call me Al
	mr cwm
	Robert Sevin
	CarsesraC
	fnord

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 2150
Good thing Malenkai didn't pick Spades
/dev/joe
Distributed at 02:43:54 on Sunday, 22 June 1997

This is a modest proposal.

Amend rule 1215, "Duels", as follows:

In the fourth paragraph of section 2, change the first occurrence of
"a player" to "another player".

Add the following to the end of the fifth paragraph of section 2:

  If the Challenging player, the Challenged player, and the two Seconds
  are not four different players, then the team option is not available
  and the contest chosen must be playable by exactly two players.

{{[ For those who failed to notice, Alfvaen is the second for both sides
of a current duel.  This proposal does not prevent this relationship, nor
does it prevent one player from being the other player's second, but it
ensures you can't be your own second, and disallows team games if the
duelists and seconds are not all different.

The rule already ensures that a player can't challenge himself to a duel,
or be both the challenging player and his own second.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 13:31:58 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P2152 accepted (Orgs want dividends too)

Proposal 2152
Orgs want dividends too
Niccolo Flychuck

Votes cast by active players:  15 / 20 = 75.000000%
Yes:  11    No:  2     Present:  2   ...Proposal accepted.

#award Niccolo Flychuck: 2 A$ : elec. potato P2152, June 29

YES votes:
	Atilla the Pun
	Antimatter
	/dev/joe
	Niccolo Flychuck
	two-star
	Calvin N Hobbes
	Alfvaen
	ThinMan
	Mohammed
	Vynd
	Guy Fawkes

NO votes:
	Rex Mundi
	Techno

PRESENT votes:
	Karma
	Malenkai

Active players who did not vote:
	breadbox
	Mr. Lunatic Fringe
	You can call me Al
	mr cwm
	Robert Sevin
	CarsesraC
	fnord

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 2152
Orgs want dividends too
Niccolo Flychuck
Distributed at 09:36:18 on Sunday, 22 June 1997

This is a Modest proposal.
In R508 "Bond Yields" 
a. Replace the string "paid to the player" with the
string "paid to the entity"
b. Replace the string "transferred from the player" with the string
"transferred from the entity"

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 13:31:57 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P2149 accepted (Atheism)

Proposal 2149
Atheism
Malenkai

Votes cast by active players:  16 / 20 = 80.000000%
Yes:  14    No:  2     Present:  1   ...Proposal accepted.

#award Malenkai: 2 A$ : elec. potato P2149, June 29

YES votes:
	Atilla the Pun
	Antimatter
	/dev/joe
	Niccolo Flychuck
	two-star
	Calvin N Hobbes
	Alfvaen
	Rex Mundi
	breadbox
	ThinMan
	Malenkai
	Mohammed
	Guy Fawkes
	Vulcan Unity vote

NO votes:
	Techno
	Vynd

PRESENT votes:
	Karma

Active players who did not vote:
	Mr. Lunatic Fringe
	You can call me Al
	mr cwm
	Robert Sevin
	CarsesraC
	fnord

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 2149
Atheism
Malenkai
Distributed at 02:43:54 on Sunday, 22 June 1997

This is a Modest proposal.

Repeal the rule created by proposal 2059, (called "Amung Gods" at the time
this was submitted).

Create this rule: "{{All players with title of GOD lose that title}}".

[I think the implementation is unsalvageable, and I do not want any
tomotoes thrown at me for scamming it ;-).  If we want to do something
like this, we should probably start from scratch.]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 13:31:57 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P2148 accepted (A random walk through the rules.)

Proposal 2148
A random walk through the rules.
Malenkai

Votes cast by active players:  15 / 20 = 75.000000%
Yes:  12    No:  3     Present:  1   ...Proposal accepted.

#award Malenkai: 2 A$ : elec. potato P2148, June 29

YES votes:
	Atilla the Pun
	/dev/joe
	Niccolo Flychuck
	two-star
	Calvin N Hobbes
	Alfvaen
	Rex Mundi
	breadbox
	ThinMan
	Mohammed
	Malenkai
	Vulcan Unity vote

NO votes:
	Karma
	Techno
	Vynd

PRESENT votes:
	Antimatter

Active players who did not vote:
	Mr. Lunatic Fringe
	You can call me Al
	mr cwm
	Robert Sevin
	CarsesraC
	Guy Fawkes
	fnord

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 2148
A random walk through the rules.
Malenkai
Distributed at 02:43:53 on Sunday, 22 June 1997

This is a Long proposal.
This is a Modest proposal.

{{[just some minor loophole repair, bugfixes, and standardizations.
Sorry Alfvaen ;-), but at least they are all in one proposal.]}}

- --------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 254, "Player States", as follows:

I. Replace "two days of having" with "three days of having" where it
appears [standardize most everything on 3 days].

II. Append the following to the end of the rule:

"
{{Amend the Blueprint for the "Whamiol" to add the following sentence
at the end of the Blueprint:

"'Active', for the purposes of the above, only applies to the first 
time a particular player became active."

[admittedly an "argument loophole", but there nonetheless.]
}}
"

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 255, "Vacationing", as follows:

I. Replace "609" with "401" where it appears [bad pointer reference].

II.  Replace

"
The only thing a player on vacation may legally do is take himself
off vacation.
"

with:

"
The only thing a player on vacation may legally do is take himself
off vacation and send public messages.
"

[CFJ 336 probably makes sending messages while on vacation illegal, but
we do it anyway.]

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 256, "Leaving the Game" to replace

"Active" with "Active or Non-Voting" all places that it appears.

[This is a tough one.  I think if a player is aware enough to join as
a Non-Voting player, they seem less likely to be a "Tim" situation.
Also, you can build up a pretty decent character as an NVP.  I'd rather
handle the "Tim" situation on a case by case basis then when someone
loses their character.]

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 257, "No Dead Players Allowed" to replace:

"communicate publicly with all of the voting players"

with

"send a public message"

[voting players on vacation are permitted to not be on the mailing list,
and functionally, we look for 'send a public message' anyway.]

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Renumber rule 260, "Public Actions", to 373 

[the 300s is more geared towards public messages, etc.]

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amend rule 330, "Retractions", to replace "1201" with "1250.1".

[bad pointer]

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 342, "Spelling Bee", to replace

"
      6) Once the flight has been announced, it has been considered to
be made, and the changes may be physically made by the officer. If a
player objects to a stinging or stinging(s), they must Call for Judgement
on the matter that the change violated this, or other rules. If the CFJ
finds for the player's position, the change(s) must be undone. (Note
that the officer will be liable for CFCJ as well, for initiating an
illegal flight of the Spelling Bee). If the CFJ does not find for the
player, their only recourse is a Proposal to change the language back. 
"

with

"
       6) Upon the flight being announced, the legal changes are applied
to the rules.
"

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 370, "No E-mail, No Game", to add the following sentence
after the first sentence of the third paragraph:

"This applies to players on non-voluntary activated vacation".

[I don't think rule 370 can do what it claims, due to rule 255's godlike
precedence]

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 407, "Web-Harfer", to remove its last sentence.

[By the time this rule change is applied, the aliens will have added
that sentence to the end of the rule.  See my comments on the alien rule
itself about this.]

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amend rule 409, "Registrar", to replace

"
      (e) asking new players how they found out about the game, and
making this information public. if the player provides the information.
"

with:

"
      (e) asking new players how they found out about the game, and
making any answer they provide public.
"

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 413, "Clerk of the Court", to read:

"
      The Office of the Clerk of the Court is a Functional Office. 
The Duties of the Clerk of the Court are: 

            (a) to receive Calls for Judgement (CFJs),
            (b) to select Judges for CFJs, distribute them publically,
and to otherwise administer CFJs as necessary
            (c) to receive verdicts from Judges and other judicial
entities, and to distribute the verdicts publically, at which time they
become official.
            (d) maintaining and making public upon request the CFJ
Ineligibility List. 

     The Clerk of the Court shall be Acting Speaker when there is no 
Speaker, and is the default Acting Speaker when the Speaker is on vacation.
"

- --

[Current text:

      The Office of the Clerk of the Court is a Functional Office. 
The Duties of the Clerk of the Court are: 

            (a) receiving a request for judgement on a statement and
making it an official Call for Judgement (hereafter referred to as CFJ),
in accordance with the rules.
            (b) selecting judges for CFJs in accordance with the rules.
            (c) reporting the results of CFJs publicly, and making
certain that the Web-Harfer has up-to-date information concerning CFJs.
            (d) any administration of CFJs as defined by the rules.
            (e) the Duties of the Speaker when there is no Speaker or
the Speaker is on vacation.
            (f) maintaining and making public upon request the CFJ
Ineligibility List. 

]

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

[format harfing of the Internomic interface rule, making consistent
use of the term Liaison, and providing more of a format to add new
sections as new things go on in Internomic.  We also know our name
is "Ackamomic", at least for now :)]

Amend rule 419.2, "Ackanomic/Internomic Interface" so that its title
is "Internomic Interface", and so that its text is:

"
      I. Liaison

      The Ambassador (or, in the absence of an Ambassador, the Speaker)
is Ackanomic's Liaison to InterNomic. The Liaison shall keep the Players
of Ackanomic apprised in a timely fashion of events in InterNomic of
interest to Ackanomic. 

      II. InterNomic Proposals

      Any Voting Player may request the Liaison to make an InterNomic
Proposal by sending the Proposal to the Liaison. If said Proposal is
adopted by InterNomic, the player who requested it receives 7 points
upon the Liaison reporting the fact of its adoption to Ackanomic. 

      III. InterNomic Voting

      Whenever Ackanomic is permitted to vote upon any matter in
Internomic, the Liaison shall initiate a binding vote in the Senate to
determine how e should cast Ackanomic's vote in Internomic. 

      In the event that the Senate does not reach a decision, the
President shall determine how e casts Ackanomic's vote.

      IV. InterNomic Judgements (ISFJs)

      Whenever Ackanomic is required to serve as a judge in Internomic,
the Liaison shall publically post the statement for judgement along with
the initiator's reasoning, if any. During the three days following this
post, players may respond to the statement for judgment with whatever
comments and reasoning they may have on the judgement. Three days after
the Liaison's posting of the statement for judgement, a Hearing will
commence. The valid responses for this Hearing will be the allowed 
verdicts Ackanomic may deliver in response to the ISFJ. For the 
purposes of determining a verdict in this Hearing, each response from
a Bronze Torch holder counts as two player responses, and non-player
responses do not count. The verdict of this hearing shall be the
verdict delivered on the statement for judgement. In the event of a tie
or a verdict of "Never Mind", the Liaison shall determine which verdict
to deliver. This section has precedence over rules governing Hearings.
When reporting the verdict to Internomic, the Liaison shall use
whatever player comments he feels are appropriate, including dissenting
ones, and shall annote these comments with their author's Ackanomic name. 

      V.  Internomic Attitude

      In order to change the Attitude of Ackanomic toward any other
member nomic of InterNomic, a vote must be held.  Each Senator has one
vote, and the Liaison has one vote (if the Liaison is also a 
Senator, e only gets one vote total).  These votes are duties of the
respective offices.  If 60% or more of these eligible voters vote in 
favor of changing the Attitude of Ackanomic, then the Liaison shall
take whatever steps are necessary and possible to carry out this 
decision in InterNomic.

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 421, "Office of Common Sense, Redundancy, and Redundancy"
to replace:

"
      (c) A privilege of the CSRR is publishing Common Sense Reports.
A common sense report (CSR) is a suggested change to the rules. A CSR
is not a proposal. The changes suggested in a CSR may only consist of
amending, renumbering and repealing rules. 
"

with:

"
      (c) A privilege of the CSRR is to issue Common Sense Reports (CSRs).
A CSR is a list of suggested changes to the rules, but it is not a proposal.
"

[This gets rid of that annoying provision that CSRs cannot create new
rules, leading to appending self-deleting fragments to the end of 
other rules to achieve the same effect]

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 424, "Poet Laureate", to remove the following text:

"(any of the Public Gatherings listed in Rule 1115 are appropriate)"

[rule 1115 is long gone]

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 500.3, "Entity Uniqueness", to remove the following text:

"
[Mimsy entities cannot be owned by Undead. See Rule 962.2 .]
"

[rule 962.2 is long gone, or at least rearranged, and mimsy is
defined elsewhere]

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 505, "Treasury and AckaDollars", to replace

"combined value of all extant Trinkets (including those Trinkets"

with:

"combined value of all extant Trinkets and Majiks (including those
Trinkets and Majiks"

[it should balance if we are going to cling to this hard currency
thing that has been around since the beginning of time in this game.]

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 506, "Trinkets", to replace "discovered" with "publically
knowable".  [This will only take effect if proposal 2147 is accepted.]

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 511, "Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die" to replace

"
      Once a Majik becomes a trinket again, it is automatically
destroyed, following the rules for trinkets.
"

with:

"
      Once a Majik becomes a trinket again, it is transformed into its
value in A$.
"

[The statement is ambiguous.  Is it transformed or donated (the only two
primitive actions really available to the trinket subclass).  In the
latter, case, the owner loses the A$ value.  I do not know what was
intended, but I figured the less harsh interpretation was preferrable]

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 517 so that its title is "Contracts";
replace "restrictions" with "provisions" where it appears in the 3rd
  paragraph;
replace "recognized" with "knowable" where it appears in the paragraph
labelled as "2)"

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Amend rule 594, "Blueprints" to replace "260" with "373".  [Bad
pointer caused by this proposal.] 

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 595, "Gadgets" to remove section (i), then reletter all
sections with the corresponding lowercase roman numeral one lower
than its current label; then change "Gadgets, Creatures, and Artifacts"
to "Gadgets" in section (iv).

[For Mohammed :)]

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 597, "The Frankenstein Monster(s)", to replace:

"
provided that Player has not already done so since the prior Thursday.
"

with

"
once per calendar week.
"

[more standardization]

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 666, "End of Cycle", to replace "extant Trinkets" in section
e) with "extant Trinkets and Majiks". [tax section]

[When I wrote the Trinkets rule, I had a pile of money, and specifically
left that tax loophole in.  I'll leave it to someone else to fix it if
they want, but we should be consistent with Trinkets/Majiks.  There
really should be a class above Trinkets and Majiks, or better yet,
Majiks are Trinkets in all ways except ... I will leave that to someone
else too]

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 710, "Criminal Justice", to replace "artifacts" with
"tinkets" where it appears in the suggested penalty section.

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 844, "Land Baroncy", to replace:

"
      Any active player may purchase a kaa of empty, common land by
paying the current Price of Land (rounded down to the nearest whole 
number of A$) to the treasury.
"

with:

"
      A player may purchase a kaa of empty, common land for A$50.
"

and also remove:

"
      At the time officer's salaries are paid, the Officer in Charge
of Random Things shall choose one of the following five possible events 
to occur at random, with equal probabilities: 

            A. The Price of Land increases by five percent (5%)
            B. The Price of Land increases by 1%
            C. The Price of Land does not change
            D. The Price of Land decreases by 1%
            E. The Price of Land decreases by 5%

      If this results in the Price of Land having more than 3 digits to the 
right of the decimal point, those beyond the third are truncated. 
"

[Its just one more thing for me to forget, and the price flucuations are
so trivial anyway.  Also lets NVPs own land]

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 1040, "Party Hall" to replace "more than 6 days" with
"more than 7 days".

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 1044, "Swingpoints", to replace "Tuesday" with 
"Monday {{the Chess Umpire will use his descretion to declare which
upcoming monday is the appropriate one to make this transition on.}}";

and also replace "2a" with "4a" where it appears in section 5d.

[more standardization.  Everything is moving to mondays]

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 1131, "The Sinister Alien Abduction Act" to remove:

"
      When returned, the rule is amended in the following way: 

      A) If the Rule does not already contain the sentence "This rule
defers to all other Rules which do not contain this sentence outside
of quotation marks.", then that sentence is appended to the Rule. 

      B)If the Rule already contains the sentence, then the sentence
is deleted from the Rule. 

      [Popular Theory maintains that the Sinister Aliens are are 
amending our rules as some sort of sick practical joke.] 
"

[I do not think the virus is incredibly harfy or fun, it can only serve
to make the game more confusing for newbies, more of a hassle for the
officers, and more points for Malenkai to write proposals to remove it.
It is also a bit of a clutter in the rules.  While I have nothing
phisosophical against rule viruses, the fun and creativity of the virus
should exceed the work and hassle, as is true for all things.]

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 1215, "Duels", to replace:

"
accepted for listing (or listed) on the Games & Contests web page
"

with:

"
in the Games and Contests Rule Suite
"

[I thought I fixed this.  Did you guys vote it down?  In any case, its
sort of difficult to do duels now]

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 1301, "Church", to remove:

"
      This rule defers to all other Rules which do not contain this
sentence outside of quotation marks.
"

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Create a new rule entitled "Definitely Finno-Uralic", numbered 17, with
the following text:

"
{{
	This rule has precedence over all rules.

	First, take all Runestone of Jukkasjarvi Fragments that are not
owned by currently active players or vacationing players, and disperse
them randomly amongst the currently active non-vacationing players.

        Then transfer the trinkets that were transferred by rule 2079
to Niccolo Flychuck, if there is such a player, and there are such
trinkets.

         [this seems to be what was intended by rule 2079]
}}
"

[end]
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 15:06:14 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2185

Proposal 2185
Repeal Default Votes
Mohammed

[I read something a while back that noted that certain UNIX commands,
such as fsck, have options -y and -n that supposedly allow them to run
without a human actually there reading each question and answering
'yes' or 'no' intelligently.  "fsck -y" is the same as invoking fsck
normally and answering 'yes' to all the questions without reading
them.  Likewise, -n indicates 'no to all'.

The point was, that answering YES to all questions is too dangerous to
be of any use ("Reformatting operator's brain.  Continue?"); and
answering NO to all questions is almost always far too paranoid.
There's no substitute (yet) for human judgement.

I think this applies to proposals and voting as well.  Voting YES or
NO by default is foolish or cynical at best, and voting PRESENT by
default is unlikely ever to have any effect at all, except to dodge
quorum.  (We might as well just repeal quorum.)

This kills default votes but not proxy votes.  Only one player has a
default vote (it is PRESENT).]

1.  All players who have default votes are stripped of their default
votes.

2.  The following shall be removed from Rule 106 (Voting on Proposals):

```

A Voting Player may specify a default vote, provided that they have no
Proxy. To do this, a Voting Player must send a message to the
Tabulator stating what their default vote will be. Their options are
YES, NO, and PRESENT. A Voting Player may cease to have a default vote
by sending a message to the Tabulator stating that they no longer want
a default vote.
'''

3.  In Rule 106 (Voting on Proposals), this:

```
At the instant before the end of the voting period of a proposal
(hereafter referred to as Proposal A), if any Voting Player has
specified a default vote, or if any Voting Player has a Proxy, then
the following sequence of events takes place in the instant prior to
the end of the voting period of Proposal A(delimited by ~):

~
1. All Voting Players that have specified default votes, AND have
not already cast a vote on Proposal A, will cast a vote on Proposal A
corresponding to the default vote they have specified. (ie if a
player's default vote is PRESENT, and they haven't already voted on
the proposal, they will cast a present vote on it)

2. All Voting Players that have not cast a vote on Proposal A, and
have a Proxy, will cast a vote identical to the vote cast by their
Proxy (if their Proxy cast a vote) on Proposal A. If a player's Proxy
has abstained, than that player will cast a PRESENT vote on Proposal
A.
~
'''

shall be replaced with this:

```
At the instant before the end of the voting period of a proposal, all
Voting Players that have not cast a vote on the proposal, and have a
Proxy, will cast a vote identical to the vote cast by their Proxy (if
their Proxy cast a vote) on the proposal.  If a player's Proxy has
abstained, then that player will cast a PRESENT vote on the proposal.

'''

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 15:10:08 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P2153 accepted (Junque)

Proposal 2153
Junque
Malenkai

Votes cast by active players:  13 / 20 = 65.000000%
Yes:  11    No:  1     Present:  2   ...Proposal accepted.

#award Malenkai: 2 A$ : elec. potato P2153, June 29

YES votes:
	Atilla the Pun
	/dev/joe
	two-star
	Calvin N Hobbes
	Alfvaen
	Rex Mundi
	ThinMan
	Malenkai
	Mohammed
	Guy Fawkes
	Vulcan Unity vote

NO votes:
	Techno

PRESENT votes:
	Karma
	Vynd

Active players who did not vote:
	breadbox
	Mr. Lunatic Fringe
	You can call me Al
	mr cwm
	Robert Sevin
	CarsesraC
	Niccolo Flychuck
	fnord
	Antimatter

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 2153
Junque
Malenkai
Distributed at 13:27:42 on Sunday, 22 June 1997

This is a Modest proposal.

{{[The nameless horror rule is absorbed into the entity naming rule,
attempting to preserve some subject organization of the rules]}}

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 500.1, "Entity Names" to add the following paragraph 
directly before the one starting with 'An alphabetic character can be 
"accented".':

"
      If a named entity at any time ever does not have a name, it
shall immediately take the name "Nameless Thing #X", where X is the
lowest positive integer creating a legal name for the entity.  If this
would result in multiple entities having the same name, one of them is 
chosen at random.  If this method does not produce a legal name, the
entity remains unnamed. 
"

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Repleal rule 2064, "The Nameless Horror".

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 15:10:09 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P2154 accepted (I don't try to surf *all* the loopholes :))

Proposal 2154
I don't try to surf *all* the loopholes :)
Malenkai

Votes cast by active players:  13 / 20 = 65.000000%
Yes:  12    No:  1     Present:  1   ...Proposal accepted.

#award Malenkai: 2 A$ : elec. potato P2154, June 29

YES votes:
	Atilla the Pun
	/dev/joe
	two-star
	Calvin N Hobbes
	Alfvaen
	Rex Mundi
	ThinMan
	Malenkai
	Guy Fawkes
	Mohammed
	Vynd
	Vulcan Unity vote

NO votes:
	Techno

PRESENT votes:
	Karma

Active players who did not vote:
	breadbox
	Mr. Lunatic Fringe
	You can call me Al
	mr cwm
	Robert Sevin
	CarsesraC
	Niccolo Flychuck
	fnord
	Antimatter

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 2154
I don't try to surf *all* the loopholes :)
Malenkai
Distributed at 14:03:48 on Sunday, 22 June 1997

This is a Modest proposal.

{{[back when the machine rule was originally proposed, this was a
hot topic and loophole.  It was reintroduced in "The Ackanomian",
although it takes a bit of luck to exploit it.  Lets make a general
fix]}}

- -------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 595, "Gadgets", to append the following new section to
the end of the rule:

"
(vii) A Gadget is a Qualified Gadget if and only if its Blueprint has
existed for at least a fortnight.
"

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 910, "The Ackanomicon", to replace:

"
Ancient artifact (1 page): A page describing the workings of a powerful
ancient device.  The reader loses A$50, and gains a Gadget (choosen at
random with equal probability), which is broken when the reader recieves
it. This page has no effect on a player without sufficient A$.
"

with:

"
Ancient artifact (1 page): A page describing the workings of a powerful
ancient device.  The reader loses A$50, and receives a newly created 
random Qualifed Gadget, which, if its a mechanical Gadget, breaks when
the reader receives it. This page has no effect on a player without
sufficient A$.
"

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 1211, "Boons of the Ancients", to replace:

"
A random Gadget from the pool of Blueprints which have existed for at
least 14 days
"

with:

"A random Qualified Gadget"

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #103
**************************************