Subject: Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #98
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Voting Digest)
To: acka-voting-digest

Ackanomic Voting Digest     Monday, June 23 1997     Volume 02 : Number 098

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 03:00:10 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2156

Proposal 2156
gravity
two-star

The Universe is a self-modifying game of rules. The Name of the Universe 
is "hunt a resonant fungus". All players must always abide by all the 
rules then in effect, in the form in which they are then in effect, and 
interpreted in accordance with current game custom. 

     The rules and the state of the Universe may only be changed as 
described in the rules. Actions described in the rules may only be 
performed, and shall only have those effects, as specified by the rules. 
Whatever is not explicitly prohibited or regulated by the rules, 
however, is permitted and unregulated.

     Game custom, spirit of the game, and linguistic interpretation are 
external concepts and are not regulated or part of the game state. 

A player may not win the Universe. A player always has the option to 
leave the Universe. The Universe recognizes the existance of Ackanomic, 
and all of its constituent entities, although they may only have an 
effect in the Universe as specified by the rules of the Universe. The 
only player in the Universe is the player known as two-star in 
Ackanomic. This player may change the rules of the Universe at his 
discretion.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 03:00:11 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2157

Proposal 2157
Summer Holidays
Alfvaen

This is a Modest proposal.

Amend Rule 255, "Vacationing", by replacing all occurrences of "30 days"
with "60 days".

{{ Recalculate, using the modified rule, the expected return date of
any players who are currently on vacation and either specified a return
date of longer than 30 days or "the maximum".  [This is probably only
Bascule and Red Barn.] }}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 03:00:14 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2158

Proposal 2158
The Dark Side of the Moon
/dev/joe

Amend Rule 905, "The Blue Cross", by replacing the text:

   A player with at least two Ruby Slippers may wear them on his feet and
   may click them together to transport himself to Kansas, by publicly
   announcing the action, but only if he is not wearing any other form of
   footwear, and only if Kansas is a place defined in the rules, and
   only once per calendar month.  Ruby Slippers are magical, so they adjust
   to fit left and right feet, and any size feet, as needed.

with:

   A player with two Ruby Slippers may wear them on his feet; any two Ruby
   Slippers so worn are considered to be a spaceship.  A player wearing a
   spaceship may click the two Ruby Slippers together to launch himself to
   Kansas, provided he obeys any other restrictions in the rules on
   spaceship launches.
   Kansas is a moon of Acka; it is a location not in Acka, nor on either
   side of Acka.  Ruby Slippers magically adjust to fit any feet as needed.

{{[ Has anybody out there tried this Dark Side of the Moon + Wizard of Oz
thing yet? ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 03:00:15 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2159

Proposal 2159
Start the Conquest on Familiar Ground
/dev/joe

{{[The United States of America and South Africa are two nomics that
contain the letters h, a, r, and f.  I wish the ambassador the best of
luck in capturing them.  In the meantime, we should set simpler goals.]}}

Amend rule 101, by inserting at the beginning:

  The name of this game is "The Horror of Ackanomic", but "Ackanomic" shall
  be considered a valid synonym for this name.

Amend rule 414, "President", by relabeling privilege b) as c) and
inserting before it the following text:

  b) The President is the almighty Harf god, the supreme deity.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 03:00:22 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P2114 accepted (Harfer-Harfer (Office Re-standardization))

Proposal 2114
Harfer-Harfer (Office Re-standardization)
Malenkai

Votes cast by active players:  20 / 19 = 105.263158%
Yes:  18    No:  0     Present:  3   ...Proposal accepted.

#award Malenkai: 2 A$ : elec. potato P2114, June 23

YES votes:
	You can call me Al
	Atilla the Pun
	Niccolo Flychuck
	Robert Sevin
	breadbox
	Calvin N Hobbes
	Alfvaen
	Rex Mundi
	fnord
	Vynd
	/dev/joe
	Malenkai
	ThinMan
	Techno
	Mohammed
	Guy Fawkes
	Mr. Lunatic Fringe
	Vulcan Unity vote

NO votes:

PRESENT votes:
	two-star
	Karma
	Antimatter was here

Active players who did not vote:
	CarsesraC

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 2114
Harfer-Harfer (Office Re-standardization)
Malenkai
Distributed at 16:58:30 on Sunday, 15 June 1997

{{[No more long justification about the benefits of officer 
standardization, like that "Work" thing (sorry 'bout that :)).
Please vote yes unless there are some glaring defects in this
proposal.]}}

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 403, "Functional Offices, Commonalities", to replace:

"
      (iv)   Whenever a Functional Office has a vacant Seat, and there
             is no Acting Officer for that Seat, the President is
             to be the Acting Officer for that Seat.
"

with:

"
      (iv)   Whenever a Functional Office has a vacant Seat, and there
             is no Acting Officer for that Seat, the President is
             to be the Acting Officer for that Seat, unless the rules
             define another officer to be an Acting Officer for that
             particular office.
"

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 412, "Financier and Free Market", to read:

"
     The Office of the Financier (OotF), or Financier, is
     a Functional Office.  This rule defers to other Officer
     rules that define another officer to perform a subset of
     the duties described here.

     The Duties of the Financier are:

     a)  To maintain accurate records of the who owns each ownable
     entity, what each Player owns, and what each named non-Player
     entity [such as the Treasury or the Chartreuse Goose] owns.

     b)  To log (or collate logs made by other officers) all
     transfers of entity ownership and the creation and 
     destruction of entities, and to verify that these events
     happen only in accordance with the Rules.

     c)  To make the records and logs available to any Player
     upon request.

     d)  To maintain the Free Market (FM), and to verify any
     transaction made there was made in accordance with the rules.

     The Priveleges of the Financier are:

     a) To receive the usual salary for a Functional Officer.
"

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 426, "Undead-Harfer", to read:

"
The Office of the Undead-Harfer is a Functional Office.  When vacant,
it is filled by the Financier in an acting capacity. 

      The Duties are: 

      a) To maintain a list of all Undead, the entities they own, and
any other pertinent details of the Undead.
      b) To make this list available to any player upon request. 
"

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

{{[its been commented that the Bond-Harfer isn't even responsible for
bond dividend calculations.  Lets put it back the way I had it :)]}}

Amend rule 427, "Bond-Harfer", to read:

The Office of the Bond-Harfer is a Functional Office.  When vacant,
it is filled by the Financier in an acting capacity. 

     The Duties are: 

     (a) to calculate and publically report the yields on PFBonds, per
PFBond, when they occur.
     (b) to calculate and report PFBond yields per player based on
the PFBond yields per bond and players' PFBond portfolios.

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------

{{[for Trinket-Harfer, the creation, destruction, ownership, and
value debit/credit aspects are already covered by the Financier.  If
we want a Trinket-Harfer, let them harf descriptions.  If we don't,
we can repeal this piece, or change the duties, as a seperate action.
In either case, it will be standardized.  I don't love doing it this
way, but the standardization is important to me now.]}}

Amend Rule 428, "Trinket-Harfer", to read:

     The Trinket-Harfer is an Optional Functional Office.

     The Duties are:

     a) To keep an acccurate record of all Trinket names, values,
and descriptions, and to make that record available to any player on
request.
 
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repeal rule 429, "Entity-Harfer" {{[a mirror image of the Financier]}}

Repeal rule 400, "Overseers are Volunteers" {{[all my brain can harf is
two levels of offices, functional and political, and that standardization
took almost a year to obtain in our ruleset.  IMO, someone has to make
a compelling case for making it more complex.]}}

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Create a new rule called "Smooth Transition", numbered 400, with the
following text:

"
{{
This rule has precedence over all rules.

The last player to hold the title of Bond-Harfer is appointed to
the functional office of Bond-Harfer, if said player is eligible for
the office.

The last player to hold the title of Undead-Harfer is appointed to
the functional office of Undead-Harfer, if said player is eligible for
the office.

The player that held the name "Malenkai" when the proposal that created
this rule was submitted is appointed to the functional office of
Trinket-Harfer, if said player is eligible for the office.
}}
"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 03:30:32 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P2115 accepted (I Knew The Earth Was Round All The Time)

Proposal 2115
I Knew The Earth Was Round All The Time
Alfvaen

Votes cast by active players:  19 / 19 = 100.000000%
Yes:  12    No:  5     Present:  2   ...Proposal accepted.

YES votes:
	You can call me Al
	Atilla the Pun
	Niccolo Flychuck
	Robert Sevin
	Calvin N Hobbes
	Rex Mundi
	Antimatter was here
	/dev/joe
	Karma
	Vynd
	Techno
	Alfvaen

NO votes:
	Mr. Lunatic Fringe
	breadbox
	Malenkai
	Guy Fawkes
	Mohammed

PRESENT votes:
	two-star
	ThinMan

Active players who did not vote:
	CarsesraC
	fnord

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 2115
I Knew The Earth Was Round All The Time
Alfvaen
Distributed at 20:49:44 on Sunday, 15 June 1997

This is a Modest proposal.

In Rule 1307, "Ackanomic Middle Ages", replace the text(delinated by
ROUND):

ROUND

Any player who has been burned as a heretic exactly once is considered
Enlightened.  Any player burned more than once, however, is beyond hope and
may never become Enlightened.  Any player who is Enlightened is free to say
what they wish, and may never have a Witchhunt called against them, or be
burned as a heretic.  This paragraph has precedence over all others in this
rule.

ROUND

with the following text(delineated by BURN):

BURN

Any player who has ever been burned as a heretic is considered
Enlightened.  Any player who is Enlightened is free to say what they
wish, and may never have a Witchhunt called against them, or be burned
as a heretic.  This paragraph has precedence over all others in this
rule.

BURN

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 03:30:32 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P2116 accepted (Revamping Godhood)

Proposal 2116
Revamping Godhood
Robert Sevin

Votes cast by active players:  20 / 19 = 105.263158%
Yes:  11    No:  7     Present:  2   ...Proposal accepted.

YES votes:
	You can call me Al
	Atilla the Pun
	Robert Sevin
	Calvin N Hobbes
	Alfvaen
	fnord
	/dev/joe
	Techno
	Mohammed
	Vynd
	Mr. Lunatic Fringe

NO votes:
	Niccolo Flychuck
	two-star
	breadbox
	Antimatter was here
	Malenkai
	ThinMan
	Guy Fawkes

PRESENT votes:
	Rex Mundi
	Karma

Active players who did not vote:
	CarsesraC

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 2116
Revamping Godhood
Robert Sevin
Distributed at 23:07:54 on Sunday, 15 June 1997

If Proposal 2112 (Renumbering Harfer) passed [which renumbers Rule 2059 to
1143], then repeal Rule 1143, and create a new Rule, whose number is 1143,
whose title (delimited by ") is "Among Gods", and whose text is listed below
(delimited by FRANCHISE).

If Proposal 2112 (Renumbering Harfer) failed, then repeal Rule 2059, and
create a new Rule, whose number is 1143, whose title (delimited by ") is
"Among Gods", and whose text is listed below (delimited by FRANCHISE).

FRANCHISE
1) A God has the power to change universal constants and other fundamental
aspects of the universe. 

2) A person has God status when they have been deemed enlightened, have held
a public office, have donated to any organization in Ackanomic and must have
created at least one trinket or gadget. They must be a voting player, who
has not initiated a CFJ and had it judged FALSE during the current cycle.

3) To become a God a player must meet the requirements above and be abel to
provide documentation of
the trinket or gadget, that they were deemed enlightened, and that they have
held a public office. They must then submit a statement, along with the
appropriate documentation, to the Speaker requesting the rank of God. The
Speaker then must distribute a notice of this. If anyone has an objection to
this player becoming a God they may call a hearing on the matter within 5
days of the Speaker's announcement. The valid responses to the hearing are
"Yes, e is godlike and wondrous" and "I'd sooner worship a toad!". If the
result of the hearing is "I'd sooner worship a toad!", or if no hearing is
called within the 5 day limit, then the player becomes a God. Otherwise, the
player's request to become a God has been denied.

4) Gods cease to be Gods at the end of every cycle.

5) A God has the ability to change a universal constant. If a GOD submits a
proposal they have the advantage
of only needing 3/8 of the vote to pass a proposal as opposed to the
standard 1/2. 

6) God status wears off if a person passes 2 proposals with only 3/8 as
defined in section 6. 

7) A person cannot become a God twice in one cycle. 

8) Only a God can author a proposal that effects this rule in any way. This
rule has precedence over any other rules that refer explicitly to Gods.
FRANCHISE

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 03:30:32 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P2117 rejected (Mathematical Oddities)

Proposal 2117
Mathematical Oddities
Robert Sevin

Votes cast by active players:  20 / 19 = 105.263158%
Yes:  8    No:  10     Present:  2   ...Proposal rejected.

YES votes:
	You can call me Al
	Atilla the Pun
	Robert Sevin
	Calvin N Hobbes
	Techno
	Mohammed
	Guy Fawkes
	Mr. Lunatic Fringe

NO votes:
	Niccolo Flychuck
	two-star
	breadbox
	Alfvaen
	fnord
	Antimatter was here
	/dev/joe
	Karma
	Malenkai
	ThinMan

PRESENT votes:
	Rex Mundi
	Vynd

Active players who did not vote:
	CarsesraC

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 18:42:56 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2160

Proposal 2160
Less Wok = More Fun
Calvin N Hobbes

{{This is a Modest proposal

[ This proposes to repeal a few of the new rules who are just hanging in the
rule set and cause work. I would consider a number of them fun, interesting,
but fun is good in moderation, like everything else. I'd rather see 10 new
concepts that do real wonder for the game rather than have the same game
bogged down in paper work and details. I have NOT included in this hit list
rules that do nothing but waste space. Sure they waste space but they don't
cause any real harm ]

Repeal R2094

[ It doesn't really create any work right now, but if we are going to use
this, then it should be part of a better system. This could be more work
than anything else and cause legal problems for our scientist ]

Repeal R2096

[ I believe most of our proposals are harfy enough. As Harfmeister recently,
my proposals contained plenty of obscure references, but I would never do it
if it was forced on me. It isn't fun when it's forced labor ]

Repeal R2099

[ It's not a 25 line max, or min, it's a 25 lines exactly requirement. It
also forces new players to have one more thing to do on top of trying to
understand the game. A waste of time and effort. If people really want hats,
make it like the optional foreheads, that was a good implementation ]

Repeal R2101

[ Too much work and it simply isn't fair (I'm poor and that's fine). Plus
there are blatantly easy way to get around it, given more paper work, so
it's just useless ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 18:42:58 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P2118 accepted (Foolish is as Foolish Does)

Proposal 2118
Foolish is as Foolish Does
You can call me Al

Votes cast by active players:  20 / 19 = 105.263158%
Yes:  11    No:  7     Present:  2   ...Proposal accepted.

YES votes:
	You can call me Al
	Atilla the Pun
	Niccolo Flychuck
	Robert Sevin
	two-star
	Calvin N Hobbes
	Alfvaen
	Techno
	Guy Fawkes
	Antimatter was here
	Malenkai

NO votes:
	fnord
	breadbox
	Vynd
	/dev/joe
	ThinMan
	Mohammed
	Mr. Lunatic Fringe

PRESENT votes:
	Rex Mundi
	Karma

Active players who did not vote:
	CarsesraC

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 2118
Foolish is as Foolish Does
You can call me Al
Distributed at 09:03:09 on Monday, 16 June 1997

Amend Rule 207.3, replacing the following text:

"
c) The previously submitted and rejected proposal was authored by the player
resubmitting it.
"

with

"
c) Either the player submitting the proposal was the author of the previous
proposal, or the player submitting the proposal gives proper credit to the
original author. If the original author is still a registered player of
Ackanomic, it is considered good form to transfer some of the points gained
through the resubmitted proposal's Foolishness to em.
"

{{[It seemed to me that I'd gone a long time without actually doing
anything, and the recent spate of props resubmitted by Robert Sevin got me
thinking anyway.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 19:40:04 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2161

Proposal 2161
Less Paper Work = More Fun (part 1)
Calvin N Hobbes

{{This is a Modest proposal

[ This proposal will not alter any rule(s) significantly. However, it will
reorganize a number of them. It will also save on useless work, things that
can be done in multiple ways ]

Repeal R1305
Repeal R1306
Repeal R1315

Amend R1307 to read:

"The Earth is flat. The Earth is flat. Contradiction of this fact is Heresy. 

If a Player publicly refers to the Earth being round any other Player may
start a Witchhunt by sending a public message that names the alleged witch,
quotes his or her allegedly heretical message, and calls for a Witchhunt,
provided a Witchhunt is not already in progress against that player, and
provided there are less than 5 Witchhunts in progress. 

A Witchhunt is a Hearing. It is also a Very Grave Matter. The valid
responses to a Witchhunt are 'No! E said the Earth is flat' and 'BURN THE
WITCH!' The Player who tabulates the responses to a Witchhunt shall be
called Witchfinder General while it is in session. 

If the verdict is 'BURN THE WITCH!' the alleged witch shall be branded a
witch and heretic. E shall then be incinerated atop a bonfire large enough
that it not only reduces the witch to eir component atoms but also inspires
righteous terror in all who see it. When a witch is burned, e shall enter
the Ackanomic Afterlife, and shall lose 10 points. Any player who has ever
been burned as a heretic is considered Enlightened. An Enlightened player
may never have a Witchhunt called against them, or be burned as a heretic.

A member of a Church may save any player from being burned as a witch, or as
a heretic, provided e posts a public message (before a Witchhunt called on
that player is resolved) saying 'I am running to the Church', then the name
of the Church of which e is a member, then 'and I hold the Altar by the
Horns for' followed by the player's name. This is called granting Sanctuary
Of Salvation."

[ This cuts down on the paperwork, on the various methods and the
multi-steps procedures down to a leaner solution. It retains however, all
the textures of the various rules ]

Repeal R1112.2
Repeal R1112.3
Renumber R1112.1 to R1112

Amend Rule 1112 to read:

"At any given time, there will be, at most, a single player with the title
of Harfmeister. The title of Harfmeister cannot be transferred or awarded
except as described in the rules. If, at any time, no one has the title of
Harfmeister, or the player with the title is 'on ice', the title is given
(or transferred) to the Speaker. 

The Harfmeister may designate proposals currently under consideration (in
the voting queue) as Harfy, by publically announcing that he or she is doing
so. No more than three proposals may be designated as Harfy at the same
time. Once so designated, a proposal may never lose its Harfy status, until
it is accepted, rejected, or otherwise removed from voting consideration.
The Harfmeister may not designate his or her own proposals as Harfy,
however. Proposals may only be designated as Harfy by methods explicitly
defined in the rules.

If a Harfy proposal passes, its author gains 5 points (a score change based
on proposal content) and the title of Harfmeister passes from the current
Harfmeister to the author of the Harfy proposal. If two or more Harfy
proposals are accepted simultaneously, the title of Harfmeister shall go to
the author of the highest numbered one.

The Harfmeister may use his or her discretion in determining what is to be
considered Harfy for the purposes of this rule, but it is considered bad
form to designate a proposal as Harfy that is not really Harfy, and other
players are permitted to sneer. 

If any voting player feels the Harfmeister is hogging the Harf [that is,
sitting on the title of Harfmeister with no intent to designate any
proposals as Harfy], they may start an Inquisition by publically calling for
one. An Inquisition is a Hearing. It is also Strange. The valid responses to
an Inquisition are 'No! He's going to share the Harf!', or 'Yes! He is
Hogging the Harf!' If the verdict is the latter, the Harfmeister is guilty
of hogging the Harf and must immediately go to his or her home if he or she
may legally do so. The person who called for the Inquisition then becomes
the Harfmeister."

[ This also cuts down on paperwork, mergest two solutions while keeping all
the variations, I think. It also saves on space in the rule set. It also
means less work in both the SOS and Altar situations. Scapegoats is also
useless since everyone who has been burned is now Enlightened ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 19:40:08 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P2119 accepted (Whammy Oil)

Proposal 2119
Whammy Oil
Alfvaen

Votes cast by active players:  20 / 19 = 105.263158%
Yes:  12    No:  7     Present:  1   ...Proposal accepted.

YES votes:
	You can call me Al
	Niccolo Flychuck
	Robert Sevin
	two-star
	Calvin N Hobbes
	Rex Mundi
	fnord
	/dev/joe
	Karma
	Malenkai
	Guy Fawkes
	Alfvaen

NO votes:
	Atilla the Pun
	Mr. Lunatic Fringe
	Antimatter was here
	ThinMan
	Mohammed
	Vynd
	Techno

PRESENT votes:
	breadbox

Active players who did not vote:
	CarsesraC

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 2119
Whammy Oil
Alfvaen
Distributed at 12:12:18 on Monday, 16 June 1997

This is a Modest proposal

{{

[This may just be because I've never seen anxious Whamiols since I joined,
but seem a wee bit unbalancing to me...since I don't have one.  :-)]

Modify the Blueprint for the Whamiol as follows:

Change the sentence

"Whenever a new Player enters the game and becomes an active player,
the Whamiol will increase the score of it's owner by fifteen
points(effective the time it is publically knowable the new player is
an active player)."

to

"Whenever a new Player enters the game and becomes an active player,
the Whamiol will increase the score of its owner by a number of points
equal to the lesser of fifteen and the number of days since the Whamiol
last awarded points to its owner(effective the time it is publicly
knowable the new player is an active player)."

}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 20:28:15 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2162

Proposal 2162
Don't exclude the Archaeologist from selection
/dev/joe

This is a modest proposal.

Amend rule 593, "Ackanomic Research Guild", in section C, by changing
"who is not already a Scientist" to "who is not already a Scientist
other than the Archaeologist."

{{[ If it hadn't been for a score correction for the Whamiols, in the
Azpiazu thread I would have missed getting the Archaeologist assignment
at the end of cycle 14 due to already being the Archaeologist, which
doesn't seem exactly fair. ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 21:13:39 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2163

Proposal 2163
Less Paper Work = More Fun (part 2)
Calvin N Hobbes

{{This is a Modest proposal

Award 6 points to Niccolo Flychuck, substract 6 points from Calvin N Hobbes.

[ This is all NF's work. I apologize for messing with it at all. It's just
that a few things were redundant. Plus I wanted to make procedures simpler.
It's a great setup that's fun and doesn't require to be too complex. I did
not change anything beyond those simplifications, hence the lack of RFC and
demand for points ]

Amend R1003 to read:

"Organizations are unownable, named entities. 

1. Forming an Organization 
Any Player may form a new Organization by announcing a name that is legal
publicly. That Player becomes the Founder of the new Organization and its
only member. Organizations formed in this way are Player-sanctioned
Organizations. 

An Organization may be created and defined by other Rules. Such
Organizations are Rule-sanctioned Organizations and need not have a Founder.

Any player may request membership in an Organization. The Organization may
then grant the request as a public action. When a request for membership is
granted, the player becomes a member of the Organization. 

A player-sanctioned Organization may, as a public action, give a particular
member the ability to grant any request for membership in that Organization,
without waiting around for the consent of the rest of the members. A
player-sanctioned Organization may also, as a public action, establish an
open admissions policy, which means that anyone can join that Organization
at any time. 

2. Organization Disbandment 
An Organization is disbanded when a rule calls for the disbandment or when
an organization has no members. When an Organization is disbanded,
everything owned by the Organization is transferred to the Treasury, and the
Organization is then no more.

3. Organization Size 
The Size of an Organization is the number of members it has. Terms such as
'larger' and 'smallest', when applied to Organizations, refer to the Sizes
of the Organizations being compared. [ For example, to say that one
organization is larger than another is to say that it has more members ] 

The Active Size of an Organization is the number of Players who are members
of that Organization and are not on vacation. 

4. Organization Similarity 
For any two Organizations X and Y, orgsim(X, Y) is defined as the percentage
of members of X who are also members of Y. The H Similarity between two
Organizations, A and B, is the greater of orgsim(A, B) and orgsim(B, A). The
L Similarity between two Organizations, A and B, is the lesser of orgsim(A,
B) and orgsim(B, A). The M Similarity between two Organizations, A and B, is
the average of orgsim(A, B) and orgsim(B, A). 

5. Player Liberty Clause 
No player may become a member of an Organization without first expressing
their consent to joining it. A player may leave any Organization of which he
or she is a member at any time.

6. Assets
An Organization may own and trade currency and assets. The Founder manages
the Organization's Currency and Assets."

Amend R1301 to read:

"1. Churches are Organizations. Church, Church membership, Foundership,
Priesthood, and Church Dogma are Protected.

2. Any may Player may declare eir intent to found a Church. A Church
officially exists when the player has three Followers in addition to
eirself, and publically announces all of the following details of the Church: 

          a) the name of the Church 
          b) the name of the Founder (who must be a church member) 
          c) the names of all the members 

3. Church Policy
Each church may have a Church Policy and a church Dogma. The first is a
private document, the second is a public one available on request.

A Player who disobeys the Church Policy of a Church of which he or she is a
member is guilty of Iconoclasm, which is a Crime. It is impermissible for a
Player to take a game action which constitutes Iconoclasm if he or she has
any legal alternative which would not constitute Iconoclasm. [That is,
Iconoclasm normally doesn't happen unless there is no alternative. It is
possible for a player to commit Iconoclasm by inaction, though ] 

The initial Church Policy will be set by the Founder. Church Policy may only
change according to Church Policy. Church Policy has no effect over the
power to ordain Priests. It cannot take this power away from the Founder,
neither can it give this power to anyone else.

4. Priests
The Church Founder has the power to ordain Priests. Only members of the
chuch can be priests in that church. In the absence of the Founder, the most
senior Priest will perform the duties, and have the authority of the
Founder, except for the power to ordain Priests. If seniority is not defined
in Church Policy, then the seniority of a Priest will be defined as the
length of time that has passed since that Player has been ordained as a
Priest in that Church, most senior being oldest.

If a decision is to be made by the Priesthood, and no method for making such
decisions is defined in Church Policy, then the decision will be made by a
simple majority rule. If there is still a tie after this, then the Founder
will break the tie.

5. Terminology
A Church may define its own alternative terminology for the Church specific
terms defined in this rule. Any terms that the Church intends to use in a
public forum, must be defined in Church Dogma. If undefined terminology is
used by Church members in a public forum, any player may publically request
the Church to provide an explanation of that term. Members of the Church may
respond to this however they like, and any such response has the official
Ackanomic Seal of Politeness, regardless of how brain-stoppingly offensive
it is. A Church mailing list is not considered a public forum. 

6. Membership
A player may not be a member of more than three Churches at the same time.
Any player may petition the Founder of a Church for membership in that
Church. If Church Policy has nothing to say on accepting new members, then
Church membership will be up to the Founder. However, a Player cannot become
a member of a Church until the Founder of the Church sends a public
announcement to that effect.

7. Disbanding
If a Church ever has no Priests or (Heaven forbid) has fewer than zero
Priests, or it has less than 4 members, that Church is disbanded. For
purposes of membership, the Church Founder is considered a Priest. Any
function that can be performed by a Priest, can also be performed by the
Church Founder. If a Priest refuses to recognize that his Church has been
disbanded, then the remaining Church members may be known as a Cult. A Cult
has no official status whatsoever. 

This rule defers to all other Rules which do not contain this sentence
outside of quotation marks."

Amend R1001 to read:

"1. Institutions
There exists a class of entities called Institutions. Institutions are
Protected. An Institution is in session when it has more than 2 member.

2. Votes
This part defers to rules governing decision making in Institutions. An
Institution votes 'in favor' of something, or 'in support of an action' when
a simple majority of its members vote 'in favor' or 'in support'. An
Institution votes against something, or opposes an action when a simple
majority of its members do not vote 'in favor', or 'in support'.

If a vote or action has more than two possible outcomes (excluding
abstaining), then a simple plurality of its members determines which of the
options the Institution supports. If the members of an Institution are tied
with respect to a specific action or vote, and there is no provision for
breaking ties in that Institution (or the application of such provisions
does not result in the tie being broken), then that Institution neither
supports, nor opposes that action, nor votes in any way on the matter.

3. Voting Period
When an Institution is called on to vote, the voting period ends after 7
days. A public report of the results of the vote, and how each member voted
should be made. Any member who did not vote, and was an active player at any
time during the alloted time, is placed in Contempt and considered to have
abstained. If the Institution fails to report a vote result (or lack of) in
accordance with the above, all its members are placed in Contempt. 

The composition of a Institution is taken to be its composition at the end
of any voting or decision period. Acting members are considered to be
members in place of the members they are acting for, except that acting
members may never be placed in Contempt under any provision of this rule. 

4. Joint Assembly
When two or more Institutions are called to vote on a matter in Joint
Assembly, then all the members of all the Institutions in the specific Joint
Assembly vote on the matter as if they were all members of one Institution,
with the exception that each player votes once for each Institution in the
Joint Assembly that he is a member or an acting member of. If two or more
Institutions are called to vote on a matter and a Joint Assembly is not
explicitly specified, then each Institution votes seperately.

5. Assets
An Institution may own and trade currency and assets. The Institution
representative manages the Institution's Currency and Assets. Institutions
not in session may only accept fees from new members."

Amend R1303 to read:

"1. There exists an Institution called Synod.

2. Each Church or Organization with a Trade License (TLO) may have at most 1
seat in the Synod. No other entity may have a Seat in the Synod.

3. Seats
A Church or TLO which does not have a seat in the Synod can purchase one for
an Entry Fee of A$100. If A Church or TLO withdraws from the Synod within 14
days, it is refunded the entire Entry Fee. If a Church or TLO withdraws at
any time after that, it is refunded half of its Entry Fee. Entry fees are
transferred from the Church or TLO to the Synod. Refunds, when paid, are
transferred from the Synod to the Organization receiving the refund.

A Church or TLO may leave its Seat unoccupied. No Seat may be bought by a
TLO until at least one church owns a Seat. When a Seat has been left
unoccupied for a period of four weeks then that Organization is considered
to have withdrawn from the Synod. If a Organization which owns a Seat is
dissolved, then its Seat is destroyed. 

4. Sitting Members
A Church which has a Seat in the Synod may appoint a Priest of that Church
to occupy that Seat. The Priest is known as the Church Delegate, and the
Seat is known by the name of the Church, or an abbreviation approved by the
Church. A Delegate may resign or be replaced by the Church at any time.

A TLO which has a Seat in the Synod may appoint a member of that TLO to
occupy that Seat. The appointed member is known as the Trade Delegate, and
the Seat is known by the name of the TLO, or an abbreviation approved by the
TLO. A Delegate may resign or be replaced by the TLO at any time.

5. Yor-Delegate
One of the Church Delegates is given the title of Yor-Delegate. The
Yor-Delegate is always the Delegate of the largest Church in the Synod. In
case of a tie then the Delegate representing the church who has owned a seat
longest and with no church larger than it, shall be the Yor-Delegate.

The Yor-Delegate has the duty of representing the Synod. The Yor-Delegate
may have other duties defined by other sections of this rule, or by other rules.

6. Synod Actions
All actions carried out by the Synod or in its name must be approved by the
Delegates. Each Delegate's vote is multiplied by the number of
non-vacationing members of eir Organization.

7. Profit Sharing Day
Whenever the Synod has been in session for at least 14 consecutive days and
there was no Profit Sharing Day for at least 14 consecutive days. An
Organization is eligible for getting a share of the profits if it has a
Delegate in the Synod.

Profits are defined as the amount A$ currently owned by the Synod. Each
member receives an amount of A$ equal to profits divided by number of Seats
in the Synod, rounded down to the nearest integer. It is the duty of the
Yor-Delegate to track and declare Profit Sharing days, calculate the amount
of A$ each Organization receives, report it to the Financier, and record the
amount of A$ at the end of the Profit Sharing day. 

8. Membership
A Church is not eligible for a Seat in the Synod if there is at least one
Church which already owns a Seat in the Synod whose M Similarity with the
former Church is equal to or greater than 30. A TLO is not eligible for a
Seat in the Synod if there is at least one Organization which owns a Seat in
the Synod whose M Similarity with the former Organization is equal to or
greater than 60. When ever a Church acquires a Seat in the Synod, any TLO
which becomes ineligible for a Seat loses its Seat in the Synod and receives
its full entry fee as a refund, regardless of the time that passed since it
joined the Synod.

For the purposes of this rule, and for the purposes of all Synod actions,
TLOs are considered to have an active size of 1 regardless of eir actual
size."}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 22:25:48 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2164

Proposal 2164
Apollo 19-21
two-star

{{[I like the idea of off-world travel in Acka, but R 2094 is rather 
vague on the specifics.]}}

Repeal Rule 2094 Destination Moon.

Create a rule entitled Locations in Ackacosmology, numbered 1312, {{[not 
sure if it should fit here or in the 800's]}} with text delimited by 
GANYMEDE below:

GANYMEDE
Spaceships are a class of entities, to be used for offworld travel as 
described below. Spaceships may not be created, destroyed, ridden, or 
launched except as permitted by the rules. If a player launches a 
spaceship, e must post a public message including the words: "COMMENCE 
OFFICIAL INTERPLANETARY EXPLORATION. DESTINATION: <name>", where <name> 
is the name of the a location that can legally be visited by a player 
riding a spaceship. If the rules describing a type of spaceship do not 
specify otherwise, a spaceship is ridden by the player who launches it, 
and no other player. When a spaceship is launched, it becomes a location 
floating off-world, and all players riding the spaceship are moved to 
that location. Three days after a spaceship is launched, all players 
riding the spaceship are transfered to the destination location, and 
then cease to be riding the spaceship.

All Locations are either on this side of the Earth, on the other side of 
the Earth, floating off-world, or attached to the aluminum and stainless 
steel sphere surrounding the world. If no rule specifies which state a 
location is in, it is on this side of the Earth.

No player may move to or from a location floating off-world without a 
spaceship. (This does not preclude players with wings from visiting 
floating buildings, since they really aren't that floating that far 
away.) No player may move from a location on the aluminum and stainless 
steel sphere surrounding the world to a location that is not on this 
sphere, or vice versa, without a spaceship. 

Moons are a class of locations floating off-world. A location is not a 
Moon unless the rules specify that it is. 
GANYMEDE

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #98
*************************************