Subject: Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #81
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Voting Digest)
To: acka-voting-digest

Ackanomic Voting Digest      Monday, June 9 1997      Volume 02 : Number 081

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 03:00:11 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2054

Proposal 2054
Stop Malenkai Before He Kills Again!
Alfvaen

Amend Rule 597, "The Frankenstein Monster" as follows:

Replace the sentence

Any voting player(including the Mad Scientist)has the option of digging
up and delivering a Frankenstein Part to the Mad Scientist, provided that
Players has not already done so since the prior Thursday.

with

Any voting player, including the Mad Scientist but excluding other
Scientists(who would never grant any credence to the Mad Scientist's
plans) has the option of digging up and delivering a Frankenstein Part
to the Mad Scientist, provided that Players has not already done so
since the prior Thursday.

{{[ What this really is intended to do is keep Scientists from authoring
Blueprints for the express purpose of providing Frankenstein Parts.  And
the reason for this will become clear soon enough.  ]}}

Amend Rule 1060, "Organized Crime", as follows:

Replace the sentence

Any member of the Narfalone Family may bet by publicly stating which event
they are wagering on and the $A they are wagering.

with

Any member of the Narfalone Family except the Godfather may bet by
publicly stating which event they are wagering on and the $A they are
wagering.

{{[ Setting one's own odds on an event and then being able to bet on it is,
as Malenkai recently demonstrated, a bit too much power for one person. ]}}

{{[ Finally, it seems that Victory Eggplants only inhibit attempts to win
by points.  I think they should do a bit more than that, if other ways of
winning are to continue to exist...  Also, I think it would be a good idea
if sometime all the Victory Eggplant rules were collected in once place. ]}}

Create a new rule, called "Victory Eggplants", numbered 621, with the
following text(delimited by EGGPLANT):

EGGPLANT

Victory Eggplants are nonunique, nontradeable entities.  Other rules may
define ways in which Victory Eggplants are destroyed and created in the
possession of a given player; this rule defers to such rules in these
matters.  A player with a Victory Eggplant cannot win the Cycle; this takes
precedence over all other rules which may specify circumstances in which
players are determined to be the winners of Cycles.

EGGPLANT

{{[ So a Victory Eggplant holder has to first get enough points to offset
their Eggplant Weight, since the VE disappears when their score is
positive, before winning the cycle by other means. ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 03:00:16 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2055

Proposal 2055
Auction Action
Alfvaen

This is a Modest proposal.

Amend Rule 516, "Auction", as follows:

In section 1, add a clause f), as follows:

f) If the answer to b) is "no", and the items being auctioned are not
all identical(in the sense of their being nonunique, non-named entities
which do not have different values assigned to them), then a
method(from among those described below)to determine how the items are
assigned to each bidder.  Otherwise, this need not be specified.  (In
this case, the Auction may be referred to as a Jumble Sale.)

{{[End of Clause f]}}

{{[This will hopefully clear up the question of what happens when you
auction a number of disparate items separately in the same Auction.]}}

Replace the current contents of section 5

{{[

5) The Auction shall last for 3 days, or 3 hours past the auction's most
recent bid(in public auctions), whichever is longer, after which time the
Auctioneer shall announce the results, and all A$ and items shall be
transferred to their new owners.  If the Auction was private, the
Auctioneer shall keep a 10% commission of all monies transferred to the
Treasury as compensation for performing the work and not being permitted to
bid.

]}}

with the following text(delineated by GARPLY):

GARPLY

5) The Auction shall last for 3 days, or 3 hours past the auction's most
recent bid(in public auctions), whichever is longer, after which time the
Auctioneer shall announce the results.  The items will then be
distributed to bidders as specified in section 6 below.  The money bid by
those players receiving items shall go to the player who called the
Auction, or the Treasury if the Auction was not called by a player.
If the Auction was private, and not called by a player, the
Auctioneer shall keep a 10% commission of all monies transferred to the
Treasury as compensation for performing the work and not being permitted to
bid.

GARPLY

{{[ Hopefully this will help clarify the question of where the money that is
bid goes.  See below also.  ]}}

Add a clause 6f) immediately after 6e), to read as follows(delinated by
SHUBIK):

SHUBIK

6f) If a Jumble Sale is being held, one of several methods must have
been specified to determine which bidder receives which item.  The valid
methods are listed below:

Random--The Auctioneer will assign the N items for auction to the N bidders
in some random way.

Bidders' Choice--The highest bidder will choose one of the N items, then
the second highest bidder will choose one of the remaining N-1 items, and
so on until the Nth highest bidder must take the only item remaining.  If
at any point there are K players tied for a bid, all players with higher
bids have already received items, and less than K items remain, then players
from out of those K that have not yet selected items shall be chosen
randomly until all items are gone.

Auctioneers' Choice--The Auctioneer will assign items to the bidders based
on eir own personal choice.

Value--If the items have differing values, then the bidders, ranked in
order of the size of their bid, will receive the items correspondingly
ranked in order of their values.  (That is, the highest bidder will
receive the item with the highest value, the lowest bidder the item
with the lowest value, etc.)  For the purposes of this clause, the
"value" of an item shall only be nonzero if the item is a trinket or
other item with an intrinsically defined value.  One of the preceding
methods should also be specified as a secondary method, for the case
where one or more bids or values are identical.

SHUBIK

{{[ 6d) might take effect in this case, but I think it would be better if
the Auctioneer had some control over how items were to be distributed.
Also, 6d) only refers to a case where bids are tied, and says nothing about
deciding which item to give to which bidder when no bids happen to be tied,
but the items are all different.  ]}}

Finally, replace the current contents of section 7

{{[

7) When a player acting on their own calls a private auction in which
exactly one item is being auctioned, that player may declare that auction
to be a "Shubik Auction" when it is initiated.  An auction may not be so
declared under any other circumstances.  At the conclusion of a Shubik
Auction, the player who made the second highest bid, if such a player
exists, forfeits his bid to the treasury as well, and receives no
compensation.

]}}

with the following(delimited by GRAULT):

GRAULT

7) When a player acting on their own calls a public auction in which
exactly one item is being auctioned, that player may declare that
auction to be a "Shubik Auction" when it is initiated.  An auction may
not be so declared under any other circumstances.  At the conclusion of
a Shubik Auction, the player who made the second highest bid, if such a
player exists, forfeits his bid to the treasury, and receives no
compensation.  The highest bid is transferred to the player who called
the Auction, as normal.

GRAULT

{{[ There's a world of confusion in that "as well" in the original text of
section 7, and this should clear it up. ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 03:00:18 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2057

Proposal 2057
Null Organizations
Malenkai

This is a Modest proposal.
- -----------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 1003, "Organizations", to add the following text to the
end of the paragragh that constitutes the body of section 2, 
"Organization Disbandment":

"
A Player-sanctioned Organization is disbanded upon it having no members.

{{
   1) All Organizations with no members are disbanded. [at least "The Band"]
   2) If proposal 2052 was accepted, the Narfalone Family is disbanded,
if such an Organization exists. [I believe it will still exist, as neither
a rule or player-sanctioned org.]
}}
"

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 03:00:20 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2058

Proposal 2058
Constants of the Universe
CV1701

Title: Constants of the Universe
Body: 
      This is an Immutible Rule     

     1) This proposal creats a new rule entitled "Constants of the Universe"
     
     2) A new term "Universal Constant" Shall be created. A Universal
Constant is a definition of a word or term that comes from a specified source
from the outside word that cannot be changed except by a player who has a
God-like status ( as defined in "Amung Gods".     
If a player adds a universal constant to a proposal and said proposal passes
the Constant can be used in any other proposal.

     3) To add a constant to the text of a proposal enclose the word in
quoutes and all caps it, as such, bla bla bla lba "SPIDER BROOMS".

     4) In order for a constant to have meaning the Constant must be defined
and the end of the proposal in this fassion:
              
          Name of Constant: ___________________
          Definition: ______________________
          Reference: _____________________

         a) The Name of the Constant is the proper name of the constant that
is to be used. 
         b) Definition is the definition of the constant as taken directly
from the text of the reference.
         c) Reference is the source of the definition. A reference must be
able to be checked by other players by either reading the reference or
picking up a copy or reading it on-line.
        
      5) This Rule takes precidence over all others.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 03:00:21 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2059

Proposal 2059
Amung Gods
CV1701

Title: Amung Gods
Body:   
       1) A "GOD"  has the power to change universal constants and other
fudimental aspects of the universe.

       2) A person has "GOD" status when they have been deemed enlightened,
hold a  public office, have donated to any organization in Ackanomic and must
have created at least one trinket or gaget. They must be a voting player, who
has lost no CFJs in the current cycle.

       3) To become a "GOD"  a player must meet the requirements above and be
abel to provide documentation of the trinket or gadget, that they were deemed
enlightened, and that they hold a public office. They must then submit a
statement, along with the approiate documentation, to the speaker requesting
the rank of "GOD". The speaker then must destribute a notice of this. If
anyone has an objection to this player becoming a "GOD" they may publicly say
so and the matter will be brought to a CFJ. All objections must be processed
with in 5 days of the decloration of "GOD" request. If they are not,  all are
rendered null and void.

       4) When someone passes the scrutiny described above they are given
"GOD" status with all the rights and privliges there of.

       5) "GOD" hood lasts for the duration of the current cycle.

       6) A "GOD" has the ablilty to change a universal constant. If a GOD
submits a proposal  they have the advantage of only needing 3/8 of the vote
to pass a proposal as opposed to the standard 1/2.

       7) "GOD" Status wears off if a person passes 2 proposals with only 3/8
as defined in section 6.

       8) A person cannot become a God twice in one cycle.

       9) Only a "GOD" Can change this rule.

       10) Title of Constant: "GOD"
           Definition: one controlling a particular aspect of part of
reality.
           Resource: Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 03:00:17 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2056

Proposal 2056
Scary Monsters
Malenkai

This is a Modest proposal

{{[Malenkai wonders if /dev/joe is still harfing that music allusion
list we worked on?]}}

- -------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 597, "The Frankenstein Monster(s)", to replace

"
A complete sentence of no more than thirty words is copied from either
some current Rule, or some past version of a Rule, or the text of a
Blueprint for something other than a Frankenstein Monster.
"

with:

"
A complete sentence of no more than thirty words is copied from either
some current Rule or some past version of a Rule, such that the rule in
question was initially created by a Proposal.
"

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 03:00:22 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2060

Proposal 2060
Frivolous E-mail
CV1701

Title: Frivolous E-Mail
Body: 
     1) "FRIVOLOUS" E-Mail is no longer legal. If a person is caught sending
"FRIVOLOUS" e-mail they shall have 25 points deducted from their scores.

     2)"FRIVOLOUS" e-mail, in addition to the definition of the constant,
shall be also mail that is sent for the sole purpose of agreeing or
dissagreeing, unless asked for by the person who wrote the mail that is being
responded to.

     3) Title of Constant: "FRIVOLOUS"
         Definition: Of little weight or improtance
         Resource: Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 04:30:33 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P2032 rejected (Senate Stuff Again I)

Proposal 2032
Senate Stuff Again I
Niccolo Flychuck

Votes cast by active players:  19 / 21 = 90.476190%
Yes:  6    No:  12     Present:  1   ...Proposal rejected.

YES votes:
	Atilla the Pun
	/dev/joe
	Niccolo Flychuck
	Robert Sevin
	You can call me Al
	Calvin N Hobbes

NO votes:
	Bascule
	breadbox
	mr cwm
	Alfvaen
	two-star
	fnord
	Vynd
	ThinMan
	Techno
	Mohammed
	Antimatter was here
	Malenkai

PRESENT votes:
	Red Barn

Active players who did not vote:
	Mr. Nacho
	CarsesraC
	Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 04:30:34 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P2034 rejected (ParlePlace)

Proposal 2034
ParlePlace
Niccolo Flychuck

Votes cast by active players:  19 / 21 = 90.476190%
Yes:  6    No:  12     Present:  1   ...Proposal rejected.

YES votes:
	Niccolo Flychuck
	Red Barn
	Robert Sevin
	Calvin N Hobbes
	two-star
	Vynd

NO votes:
	Atilla the Pun
	Bascule
	/dev/joe
	You can call me Al
	mr cwm
	Alfvaen
	fnord
	ThinMan
	Techno
	Mohammed
	Antimatter was here
	Malenkai

PRESENT votes:
	breadbox

Active players who did not vote:
	Mr. Nacho
	CarsesraC
	Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 04:30:33 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P2033 rejected (Senate Stuff Again II)

Proposal 2033
Senate Stuff Again II
Niccolo Flychuck

Votes cast by active players:  19 / 21 = 90.476190%
Yes:  7    No:  10     Present:  2   ...Proposal rejected.

YES votes:
	Atilla the Pun
	Niccolo Flychuck
	Robert Sevin
	You can call me Al
	Calvin N Hobbes
	mr cwm
	two-star

NO votes:
	Bascule
	/dev/joe
	breadbox
	Alfvaen
	fnord
	Vynd
	Techno
	Mohammed
	Antimatter was here
	Malenkai

PRESENT votes:
	Red Barn
	ThinMan

Active players who did not vote:
	Mr. Nacho
	CarsesraC
	Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 12:39:44 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2061

Proposal 2061
The Whistle Recedes In The Distance
Alfvaen

This is a Modest proposal.

Amend the text of Rule 1250.1, "Games & Contests", as follows:

In clause VI, add a section d), as follows(delimited by EEYORE):

EEYORE

d) If a game has a Referee, a player in a particular instance of that
game may, if the Referee of that instance has not responded in more than a
week, point out this fact in a public message.  The Speaker shall then
send email to the Referee in question asking em if e wishes to continue as
Referee, or resign.  If no response is received within three days, it shall
be assumed that the Referee has resigned.

EEYORE

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 13:09:51 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2062

Proposal 2062
I'm Late, I'm Late, For A Very Important Date
Alfvaen

Create a new rule, numbered 381, named "Procrastination", whose text is as
follows(delineated by LONGINES):

This rule takes precedence over all rules that specify what will happen
when a player violates a deadline for performing a public action.

If a player is required to perform a certain public action[for instance, a
Phoebe post]before a certain time, and fails to do so, then e may do so
within three hours after the deadline in the following manner:

The player must perform the public action, and include in the text of
the message the following sentence: "I will never say the word
procrastinate again; I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes
closed." [They Might Be Giants, "Dead", _Flood_, verse N, line N]

Then the player's action will count as if it had been performed before the
deadline, with the following differences:

1) Anyplace where the public action is recorded [e.g. on a web page],
it must be marked by the word "LATE".

2) If there is an award in points or Ackadollars for performing the
action on time, then the player shall receive only half that award.  If
there is a penalty in points or Ackadollars for failing to perform the
action on time, then the player shall be penalized half that amount.  [So,
in essence, the player shall receive (bonus/2)-(penalty/2).  Which will, in
most cases, be better than just -(penalty).]

Any public action for which there is no bonus for prompt performance
nor a penalty for tardy performance cannot be performed "late" by this
means.  [So auction bids, CFJ appeals, etc. will still have firm
deadlines.]

LONGINES

{{[This proposal is, of course, Literature.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 22:04:11 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P2035 rejected (Otzma Card Impeach Officer)

Proposal 2035
Otzma Card Impeach Officer
Niccolo Flychuck

Votes cast by active players:  19 / 21 = 90.476190%
Yes:  6    No:  11     Present:  2   ...Proposal rejected.

Malenkai bribed Tammany A$ 5 to vote NO.

YES votes:
	Red Barn
	You can call me Al
	Calvin N Hobbes
	Alfvaen
	Mohammed
	Antimatter was here

NO votes:
	Atilla the Pun
	Bascule
	two-star
	Tammany
	mr cwm
	fnord
	Vynd
	/dev/joe
	ThinMan
	Techno
	Malenkai

PRESENT votes:
	Robert Sevin
	breadbox

Active players who did not vote:
	Mr. Nacho
	CarsesraC
	Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #81
*************************************