Subject: Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #79
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Voting Digest)
To: acka-voting-digest

Ackanomic Voting Digest     Saturday, June 7 1997     Volume 02 : Number 079

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 06:57:15 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2048

Proposal 2048
Phoebe Post Legalization
Malenkai

{{[This is a Modest proposal.  Removing the potential
for nit-picking]}}

- --------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 909, "The Steel Flea", to replace

"
, by publically posting a message headed "Acka: Misc: What Phoebe Says",
"

with:

"
in a public message,
"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 06:57:17 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P2029 accepted (Last Wills)

Proposal 2029
Last Wills
Mohammed

Votes cast by active players:  18 / 21 = 85.714286%
Yes:  14    No:  2     Present:  2   ...Proposal accepted.

YES votes:
	Atilla the Pun
	Bascule
	/dev/joe
	Niccolo Flychuck
	Red Barn
	You can call me Al
	Calvin N Hobbes
	mr cwm
	Alfvaen
	two-star
	fnord
	Antimatter was here
	ThinMan
	Mohammed

NO votes:
	Techno
	Malenkai

PRESENT votes:
	Robert Sevin
	Vynd

Active players who did not vote:
	breadbox
	Mr. Nacho
	CarsesraC
	Guy Fawkes

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 2029
Last Wills
Mohammed
Distributed at 03:00:08 on Friday, 30 May 1997

[This makes it so a player can make a bunch of trade offers and
leave the game, and then the player's undead will carry out the
transactions.  We've had several players try to do this in the
past (last wills) and it's time the rules actually allowed it.

I know, anybody else but me would have done this in ten lines but
I'm not comfortable with any proposal shorter than 5 pages.]

. Rule 515 (Trading and Gifts) is amended by changing the word "player"
in the following sentence to "entity":

    An offer made in this way stands until it is legally retracted or
    accepted, or the player who offered it no longer owns the entities
    offered, or the offer has been standing for at least three days,
    whichever comes first.

. Rule 252 (Joining the Game) is amended by replacing the following
paragraph:

    For the purposes of this rule, a player whose most recent departure
    from Ackanomic prompted the creation of a still-extant Undead is
    considered a Returning player. All other players are considered New.

with this:

    For the purposes of this rule, a player whose most recent departure
    from Ackanomic caused him or her to become an Undead that still exists
    is considered a Returning player.  All other players are considered
    New.

and by replacing this:

    Upon the registration of a Returning player, the following
    procedure takes place:

    1) The Undead created in response to their most recent departure
    from Acka, who bears the Ackanomic name that player had
    immediately prior to his most recent departure from Acka,
    transfers all entities it is haunting to the Returning
    player. These entities are now no longer haunted.

    2) That Undead is destroyed.

with this:

    Upon the registration of a Returning player, the following
    procedure takes place:

    1) The Undead with that player's Ackanomic name changes from an
    Undead to a player.

and by renumbering the paragraphs that follow that from 3) and 4)
to 2) and 3).

. Rule 256 (Leaving the Game) is amended by deleting "every
rented entity in his possession reverts to its owner," from
section 3; and by deleting sections 7 and 8; and by changing
section 6 to read:

    6) The player ceases to be a player and becomes an Undead.

[--current text:
Upon a player leaving, the following procedure takes place, in the
order shown.
	(snip)
6) An Undead is created; its name is that of the player.
7) All entities in the player's possession are taken away,
considered unowned, haunted by the just-created Undead, and in the
Treasury.
8) The player is deregistered.]

[The thing about rented entities is old stuff; we don't have
rental anymore.]

. Rule 258 (Undead) is amended to read, in full, as these two
paragraphs (not including the note that follows):

    There exists the class of named, unownable entities known as the
    Undead.

    Entities that are owned by Undead cannot be manipulated in any
    way except by an action of the Undead.  This rule takes
    precedence over all other rules except those pertaining to the
    transferrence of the Chartreuse Goose and Rule 666.
    This rule defers to Rule 666 (End of Cycle).

    The location of an Undead is known as its "haunt".

[-- current text

There exists the class of named, unownable entities known as the
Undead.
a) Each Undead can act to "haunt" some number of entities.
b) The Undead only act as specified in the Rules.
c) Entities that are haunted by Undead cannot be manipulated in any
way except by an action of the Undead. This clause takes precedence
over any Rule that would otherwise allow haunted entities to be
manipulated, except that it defers to rules pertaining to the
transferrence of the Chartreuse Goose.
[The Undead _haunt_ rather than possess entities.]

. Rule 426 (Undead-Harfer) is amended by changing "the entities
they are haunting" to "the entities they own".

. Rule 500.3 (Entity Uniqueness) is amended by changing "haunted"
to "owned" in the note.  [It reads:  {Mimsy entities cannot be
haunted by Undead. See Rule 962.2 .} ]

. Rule 505/12 (Treasury and AckaDollars) is amended by changing
"being haunted by" to "owned by" in part V. and by replacing this:

    b) Each Undead stops haunting 10% (round up) of the A$ it is
    haunting.

with this:

    b) Each Undead transfers 10% (round up) of its A$ to the
    Treasury.

. Rule 666 (End of Cycle) is amended by replacing this:

    b) All Undead stop haunting all Chartreuse Goose Eggs,
    Right-Handed Grapefruit, and Victory Eggplants. Then, all
    Chartreuse Goose Eggs, Right-Handed Grapefruit, and Victory
    Eggplants are destroyed.

with this:

    b) All Chartreuse Goose Eggs, Right-Handed Grapefruit, and
    Victory Eggplants are destroyed.

and by changing the last sentence of section e) to read:  "20%
(round down) or each Undead's A$ balance is transferred to the
Treasury."

. Rule 670 (Commission d'Arts) is amended by changing "their
Undead begin haunting said entities" to "their Undead is awarded
said entities" in section 6.

. Rule 841 (Towers) is amended by changing "owned by no player,
and is not haunted by an Undead" to "owned by no player or
Undead".

. Rule 1313 (Tornado) is amended by changing "possession or
haunt" to "possession".

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 16:00:32 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2049

Proposal 2049
The Player Who Submitted This Proposal Is Azpiazu
Alfvaen

This is a Modest proposal.

Amend Rule 597, "The Frankenstein Monster(s)", as follows:

Replace the following text(bounded by "STINKY")

STINKY

ii) A single noun is selected from this sentence.

iii) All instances of the selected noun is replaced by <name> (in whatever
grammatical form is appropriate.)

iv) The modified sentence, if it fulfills all the above conditions,
is a valid Frankenstein Part.

STINKY

with the following(bounded by "AZPIAZU")

AZPIAZU

ii) A single noun phrase is selected from this sentence.

{{[ "Noun phrase" is a well-established grammatical term, so I don't feel
the need to describe it for the purposes of the game.  But just to give you
a general idea, noun phrases would be things like "The Godfather", "This
rule", "the player who last submitted a proposal that was declared harfy",
"Calling an auction", etc. ]}}

iii) All instances of the selected noun is replaced by <name> (in
whatever grammatical form is appropriate.)  Any verbs, pronouns, or
other nouns that corresponded in number with the original noun phrase
are modified if necessary to correspond in number with <name>.  Any
pronouns for which the original noun phrase was an antecedent should
also be modified to a neuter or otherwise gender-nonspecific form.

{{[ So if the sentence was "All players who vote YES on a proposal have
their scores increased by ten points", "All players who vote YES on a
proposal" was the noun phrase selected, and <name> was to be replaced by
"Stinky", the sentence would become "Stinky has its score increased by
ten points". ]}}

iv) The modified sentence, if it fulfills all the above conditions,
is a valid Frankenstein Part.

AZPIAZU

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 16:00:34 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P2030 accepted (A Good Source of Phosphorus)

Proposal 2030
A Good Source of Phosphorus
Alfvaen

Votes cast by active players:  18 / 21 = 85.714286%
Yes:  12    No:  4     Present:  2   ...Proposal accepted.

YES votes:
	Atilla the Pun
	Bascule
	You can call me Al
	Calvin N Hobbes
	Alfvaen
	two-star
	fnord
	Vynd
	ThinMan
	Mohammed
	Antimatter was here
	Malenkai

NO votes:
	/dev/joe
	Niccolo Flychuck
	mr cwm
	Techno

PRESENT votes:
	Red Barn
	Robert Sevin

Active players who did not vote:
	breadbox
	Mr. Nacho
	CarsesraC
	Guy Fawkes

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 2030
A Good Source of Phosphorus
Alfvaen
Distributed at 10:30:20 on Friday, 30 May 1997

Amend the text of Rule 923, "The Amber Banana", to read as follows:

   The Amber Banana Tree(which, in this rule, shall also be referred to
   as the Tree) is a unique, mimsy, nontradeable entity.  Whenever the
   player who last performed the Acid Rain Dance is in the game(and not
   undead), the Amber Banana Tree shall be in their possession.  It
   shall go Somewhere Else if that players leaves the game.

   Any player who has a proposal in the queue whose number, when having
   its digits added together, equals exactly 21 [ex. prop 777], shall
   have the right to purchase one Amber Banana from the owner of the
   Tree, if it is not Somewhere Else.  The price for one Amber Banana
   shall be A$10, payable to the owner of the Tree.  Amber Bananas are
   tradeable entities.

   A player who owns an Amber Banana may publicly announce that e is
   eating the Amber Banana as "cows eat grass".  Upon eating the Amber
   Banana(which destroys it), said player may inform the owner of the
   Tree how e should vote on a single proposal, which must be in the
   current queue and whose digits must also sum to 21.  (It may be the
   same proposal as allowed em to buy the Amber Banana in the first
   place, but it need not be.)  This effect takes precedence over any
   other Rules which may specify how the Tree's owner shall vote on that
   proposal.  A player may only eat one Amber Banana per week.

   If the Amber Banana Tree is Somewhere Else, then a player who would
   otherwise be eligible to purchase an Amber Banana may instead
   purchase an Amber Banana Tree Seed(also referred to in this rule as
   the Seed)by paying A$50 to the Ackanomic Institute of Genetic
   Replication(which had the foresight to preserve one so that the
   species would not die out), unless such a seed already exists.  The
   Amber Banana Tree Seed is a unique, tradeable entity.  At any time,
   the owner of the Seed may publicly declare that e is planting it.
   At that point, the Seed is destroyed, and in two weeks time, the
   Amber Banana Tree will appear in eir possession.

Also, amend the text of Rule 921, "Acid Rain Dance", to read as follows:

   The player who most recently submitted a proposal whose number, when
   having its digits added together, equals exactly 28, may perform the
   Acid Rain Dance.  The player performing the Acid Rain Dance shall
   post a public description of the dance.  Immediately after the public
   description of the Acid Rain Dance, the Acid Rain shall fall,
   destroying the Amber Banana Tree(so that it goes Somewhere Else),
   unless the Amber Banana Tree is protected by the Bronze Umbrella.
   If the Amber Banana Tree was destroyed, the player who performed the
   Acid Rain Dance receives the Amber Banana Tree Seed.

   Only the Amber Banana Tree can be destroyed by Acid Rain unless
   permitted by other rules.

{{ Finally, create the Amber Banana Tree Seed in the possession of the
player Alfvaen. }}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 22:06:46 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2050

Proposal 2050
Its all in the details
Malenkai

This is a Modest proposal

Amend rule 211, "Invoking Judgement", to replace "current ruleset"
with "game state" where it appears in the second paragraph.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 22:06:48 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P2031 accepted (Changing Resolving Conflicts)

Proposal 2031
Changing Resolving Conflicts
Mohammed

Votes cast by active players:  18 / 21 = 85.714286%
Yes:  12    No:  3     Present:  3   ...Proposal accepted.

YES votes:
	Atilla the Pun
	Bascule
	/dev/joe
	Niccolo Flychuck
	You can call me Al
	Calvin N Hobbes
	Alfvaen
	two-star
	fnord
	ThinMan
	Mohammed
	Antimatter was here

NO votes:
	mr cwm
	Techno
	Malenkai

PRESENT votes:
	Red Barn
	Robert Sevin
	Vynd

Active players who did not vote:
	breadbox
	Mr. Nacho
	CarsesraC
	Guy Fawkes

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 2031
Changing Resolving Conflicts
Mohammed
Distributed at 16:45:31 on Friday, 30 May 1997

This is a Modest Proposal.  [It will change our conflict resolution
from the original Suber to a scheme like Kelly Martin's.  This
shouldn't change the interpretation of our rules as they are.  But, it
solves the deference-loop problem!  Cool, huh?  This also changes
"effective ordinal number" to "rule number".]

. Rule 102 (Resolving Conflicts) is amended to read:

- ---

Two or more rules may conflict with one another.  When this occurs, if
the conflicting rules themselves specify a single, coherent,
unambiguous method for resolving the conflict, then that method is
applied to determine which rule or rules take precedence.  Otherwise,
the rule with the lowest rule number takes precedence.

If two statements in the same rule conflict with each other, and the
rule doesn't define a way to resolve the conflict, then the statement
which appears later in the rule takes precedence.

If two rules have different base numbers, use the base number to
determine which is lowest. Among rules with the same base number,
use the sub rule numbers to determine which rule has the lowest
number, treating a rule without a sub rule number as if the sub rule
number was zero.

- ---

[-- current text

Rule 102/5
Resolving Conflicts

If two or more rules conflict with one another, then the rule with
the lowest effective ordinal number takes precedence. If at least
one of the rules in conflict explicitly says of itself that it
defers to another rule (or type of rule) or takes precedence over
another rule (or type of rule), then such provisions shall supercede
the numerical method for determining precedence. If two or more
rules claim to take precedence over one another, or to defer to one
another, then the numerical method must again govern. If two
statements in the same rule conflict with each other, and the rule
doesn't define a way to resolve the conflict, then the statement
which appears later in the rule takes precedence.

If two rules have different base numbers, use the base number to
determine which is lowest. Among rules with the same base number,
use the sub rule numbers to determine which rule has the lowest
number, treating a rule without a sub rule number as if the sub rule
number was zero.
]

. Rule 307 (Revision Numbers) is amended by changing "effective
ordinal number" to "rule number" wherever it appears.

. Rule 303 (Proposal and Rule Numbering) is amended by changing "Each
rule has an effective ordinal number, hereafter referred to simply as
the rule's number." to "Each rule has a rule number."

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 23:24:53 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2051

Proposal 2051
Cleaning up those ugly craters made by the landing gear
Malenkai

{{[This is a Modest proposal, which removes some of the gizz added by
those pesky aliens, which can only clutter and confuse the rules]}}

Amend rule 106, "Voting on Proposals", to remove the following
sentence:

"
This rule defers to all other Rules which do not contain this
sentence outside of quotation marks.
"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 23:57:59 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2052

Proposal 2052
This name has been changed to protect the innocent
Vynd

This is a Modest proposal.

Repeal Rule 1060 Organized Crime

Ammend Rule 315 Tammany in the following manner:

Delete the paragraph begining "Each player who submitted a Tammany
Bribe..." and replace it with the following paragraph:

"each Player who submitted a Tammany Bribe on a Proposal which is about to
be resolved shall have the designated amount of currency deducted from his
account and placed in the Treasury.  If this would result in a negative
curreny balance for the player, his entire Bribe is disregarded and no
currency is deducted.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #79
*************************************