Subject: Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #71
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Voting Digest)
To: acka-voting-digest

Ackanomic Voting Digest      Friday, May 30 1997      Volume 02 : Number 071

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 03:00:08 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2025

Proposal 2025
Sender-ship is in the eye of the recipient
Mohammed

[As many of you know, I'm the tabulator.  The system I currently use
for finding out who is the sender of a message has a few problems.
First of all, if you're sending mail from a computer other than the
one the acrobot recognizes, the bot will not recognize your
new/temporary/unusual address and your votes or whatever will not be
counted.  Second, it's a little fishy from a security standpoint.
Thus far the first problem has been much, much more difficult than the
second...

The way the rules are now I have to make a good-faith effort to match
unknown e-mail addresses to player names and it's becoming more and
more annoying to have to do so.  I'd rather set up a little password
system so that players can send bot mail from any address in the
world.  The bot would recognize players not by their email addresses,
but rather by their name and password.

Passwords would not be mandatory for mail sent from your normal
address, for the convenience of the non-paranoid.  I think this
solution is reasonable on all sides.  This proposal's effects would
facilitate all that.

This proposal leaves open the question of validation of *public*
messages.  We can burn that bridge when we come to it.
]

The following paragraph is added into rule 422 (Postmaster),
immediately after the paragraph that begins "A message is a public
message if":

A private message qualifies as being "from" a certain Player if and
only if the recipient is satisfied that the sender of the message was
in fact the Player in question.  An officer who receives private
messages in the course of his Duties may set a reasonable protocol in
place for verifying the authorship of such messages.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 03:00:10 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2026

Proposal 2026
Renaissance, Rebirth, Phoenix... You Get The Picture
Calvin N Hobbes

{{ This is a modest proposal 

Renumber this rule to 150}}

AckaEnfants (hereafter called AEs for short) are part of the Game of
Ackanomic (hereafter called Acka for short). They are self-modifying games
of rules which claim Acka as its parent and considers themselves an AE. All
players in an AE must always abide by all the rules then in effect in that
AE, in the form in which they are then in effect, and interpreted in accord
with current game custom in that AE.

The rules and the game state of an AE may only be changed as described in
the rules of that AE. Actions described in the rules may only be performed,
and shall only have those effects, as specified by the rules of that AE.
Whatever is not explicitly prohibited or regulated by the rules of an AE,
however, is permitted and unregulated. Game custom, spirit of the game, and
linguistic interpretation are external concepts to AEs and are not regulated
or part of the game state of an AE.

An AE may be created by any voting player of Acka, by that player sending a
message in Acka starting with "Rejoice for an AckaEnfant is born!" and
making public the entire original rule set of that AE in the same message.
That player is considered the Founding Player of that AE. The initial rule
set of a new AE cannot be the same as that of the current or initial rule
set of either Acka or any another AE, nor can it have the same name.  Any
player of Acka is free to join an AE provided they follow the rules of that
AE to join it. If so allowed by the rules of the AE, persons not players in
the game of Ackanomic may also join the AE; this does not make them players
of Acka.

Rules of the Game of Ackanomic which claim legal scope in an AE only have
that legal scope if accepted, word-for-word, in an AE according to the
procedure set down in that AE. Rules of an AE cannot have legal scope in
Ackanomic unless the same holds true. The only exception is for this rule
which always has legal scope over all AEs. Should the wording of a rule no
longer be the same in both an AE and Acka then those two are considered
different and neither can have legal scope in Acka if in the AE, or the AE
if in Acka.

An AE is no longer a recognized AE if it no longer describes itself as an
AE, thereby losing all privileges and responsibilities associated with being
an AE. In such an event the ex-AE is now considered an AckaColony by Acka.
No rule in Acka may affect the rules of an AckaColony. No rule of an
AckaColony may affect the rules of the Game of Ackanomic. AckaColonies are
considered completely distinct nomics (but with a common heritage) and
relations with them should be established as such.

All AEs must have the following rule as their first rule, replacing <AE's
name> with the actual AE's name:
"<AE's name> is an autonomous self-modifying game of rules that claims the
Game of Ackanomic as its parent and as such describes itself as an
AckaEnfant (AE). The rules of this game will be the rule set of this nomic
and those of the Game of Ackanomic which have legal scope over AEs. The rule
set of <AE's name> may only affect its own game state and rules unless rules
in Ackanomic which have legal scope of this AE grant them a greater scope.

All players must always abide by all the rules then in effect, in the form
in which they are then in effect, and interpreted in accord with current
game custom.

The rules and the game state may only be changed as described in the rules.
Actions described in the rules may only be performed, and shall only have
those effects, as specified by the rules. Whatever is not explicitly
prohibited or regulated by the rules, however, is permitted and unregulated.
Game custom, spirit of the game, and linguistic interpretation are external
concepts and are not regulated or part of the game state.

This rule cannot be modified unless 90% of all players in <AE's name> vote
in favor of such a change, irrespective of how other rule changes are made
in <AE's name>. This rule has precedence over all other rules in <AE's name>."

This rule takes precedence over all other rules that deal with AEs or
AckaColonies.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 17:09:59 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2027

Proposal 2027
Whole-Day Deadlines
Alfvaen

{{[ 'Cause I get tired of people getting penalized for being late by only
an hour or two ]}}

Create a new rule, numbered 381, named "Deadlines", whose text is the
following:

This rule takes precedence over all other rules that specify deadlines,
except for rules that specify that they take precedence over this
rule.

{{[Definition of terms]}}

Whenever a rule specifies a maximum time that can elapse between one
event occurring(here called a "trigger") and another event
occurring(here called the "result"), possibly with some penalty
accruing to players involved in the result, the "deadline" for the
result is the latest time that event can occur without penalty.

{{[The real meat]}}

When a deadline is specified to occur N days after the trigger, then
the actual deadline will be 11:59 P.M. AckaTime on the Nth day after
the trigger.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 17:10:15 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P2011 rejected (Anti-Penicillin)

Proposal 2011
Anti-Penicillin
Alfvaen

Votes cast by active players:  13 / 21 = 61.904762%
Yes:  4    No:  7     Present:  2   ...Proposal rejected.

YES votes:
	Atilla the Pun
	Calvin N Hobbes
	Alfvaen
	Mohammed

NO votes:
	two-star
	You can call me Al
	mr cwm
	Antimatter
	/dev/joe
	ThinMan
	Techno

PRESENT votes:
	Bascule
	Robert Sevin

Active players who did not vote:
	breadbox
	CarsesraC
	Guy Fawkes
	Vynd
	snowgod
	Niccolo Flychuck
	Red Barn
	fnord

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 19:05:09 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P2013 accepted (Contracted Expanding Contracts)

Proposal 2013
Contracted Expanding Contracts
Alfvaen

Votes cast by active players:  16 / 21 = 76.190476%
Yes:  12    No:  4     Present:  0   ...Proposal accepted.

YES votes:
	two-star
	Bascule
	Atilla the Pun
	Robert Sevin
	You can call me Al
	Calvin N Hobbes
	mr cwm
	Alfvaen
	Antimatter
	breadbox
	/dev/joe
	Vynd

NO votes:
	ThinMan
	Techno
	Mohammed
	Guy Fawkes

PRESENT votes:

Active players who did not vote:
	CarsesraC
	snowgod
	Niccolo Flychuck
	Red Barn
	fnord

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 2013
Contracted Expanding Contracts
Alfvaen
Distributed at 15:51:33 on Thursday, 22 May 1997

Amend the text of Rule 1995, "Contracts(Or, How To Play Lawyer)" as
follows:

Replace the sentence "Contracts are entities." with "Contracts are named,
tradeable entities."  {{[Suitable for auctioning and burying...]}}

Append the following(delineated by BAZ):

BAZ
   Contracts may be destroyed under the following circumstances:

      1) If the signers of the contract all publicly agree to destroy it,
         it will be destroyed.

      2) If there is a clause in the contract specifically dealing with
         its destruction, and the conditions in that clause are met, then
         it will be destroyed as soon as this fact is publicly recognized.
BAZ

{{[ Not sure about that last clause, but it seems reasonable that a
one-time contract be destructible... ]}}

Finally, renumber the rule to 517.  {{[ Seems the most reasonable place to
put it, to me... ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 19:35:52 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2028

Proposal 2028
Leaping! Leaping! Leaping!
two-star

The length of an Ackanomic day is 23 hours and 30 minutes.
Every 47 days, starting with the day following June 17 1996, is a leap
day.
The date of a leap day is .5 plus the date of the previous day. [for
example, the first leap day is June 17.5] The date of the day following
a leap day is the date that would otherwise be used for the day
following the day preceding the leap day. All dates following are
numbered in the normal succession.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #71
*************************************