Subject: Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #69
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Voting Digest)
To: acka-voting-digest

Ackanomic Voting Digest    Wednesday, May 28 1997    Volume 02 : Number 069

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 01:03:59 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2020

Proposal 2020
No pay for declining to mentor
/dev/joe

This is a modest proposal.

{{[The whole purpose of CFJ 380 was to determine whether this amendment
was necessary.  The judge's reasoning is entirely unconvincing :-), but
we have a judgement now so I'm going to make the proposal and get it over
with.  The problem, for those who have forgotten, is that when a mentor
is selected, he gets A$25 even if one had to be chosen from the general
populace due to lack of volunteers, and the chosen mentor does not
accept.]}}

Amend rule 252, "Joining the Game", as follows:

1. In the first section 4, change the sentence:

  The Mentor receives A$25 from the Treasury.

to:

  If the Mentor was chosen from the volunteer pool, e receives A$25
  from the Treasury immediately; otherwise, e receives A$25 if and
  when e accepts the mentorship.

{{[ While we're here, make it easier to refer to the parts of this rule. ]}}

2. Insert headers reading "I.", "II.", "III.", "IV.", "V.", and "VI."
respectively, at the beginning of the following paragraphs:

  I. the first one
  II. the second one
  III. the third one
  IV. the one beginning with "A person", just after the first section 4
  V. the one beginning with "Upon", just before the second section 1
  VI. the last one

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 11:30:22 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2021

Proposal 2021
Level Playing Field
ThinMan

Create a new rule with the following text (delimited by double percent
signs):

%%
{{[ In carrying out my duties as acting Officer in Charge of Random
Things, I have discovered a relatively minor loophole which this
proposal is intended to plug.  I have not made use of it, nor do I
currently intend to do so.  Among the things which I could do but won't
is to cause the Sinister Aliens to be repealed.  Indeed, I could set
weights for any "random" determination I have to make in such a way
that I the outcome is virtually guaranteed to be whatever I choose for
it to be.  This appears to be an unsatisfactory state of affairs. ]}}

Whenever the rules call for a random determination to be made, each
of the alternatives shall be assigned the same probability.  [I.e. use
uniform weights.]  This rule defers to any rule that specifies an
alternative weighting scheme.

{{ Renumber this rule to 230. [I wasn't sure exactly where to put this,
but I decided that it was appropriate to put it in the relatively low
numbers.  It didn't seem to quite fit with anything else, and it didn't
seem sufficiently fundamental to go into the 100's, so 230 is what I
chose.] }}
%%

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 14:30:05 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2022

Proposal 2022
It's Too Easy To Be Short If You're Modest
Alfvaen

This is a Modest proposal.

Amend the text of Rule 209 in the following way:

Replace the paragraph

Whenever a Modest proposal is adopted, its author shall receive half the
number of points that rule 207 would have directed that they receive if the
proposal had not been Modest(rounded down).

with

Whenever a Modest proposal is adopted, its author shall receive half the
number of points that rule 207 would have directed that they receive if the
proposal had not been Modest(rounded down), with the exception that no
"Short Proposal Bonus" shall be counted.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 17:48:48 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2023

Proposal 2023
More Nasty Aliens
Antimatter

Amend rule 1131 [The Sinister Alien Abduction Act] by replacing the first 
occurence of the word "three" with "ten" and the first occurence of "all three" 
with "any three".
- -------------------------------
Antimatter * [email-masked]
You have the power of negation.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #69
*************************************