Subject: Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #68
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Voting Digest)
To: acka-voting-digest

Ackanomic Voting Digest     Tuesday, May 27 1997     Volume 02 : Number 068

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 00:33:44 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P2010 accepted (Literature)

Proposal 2010
Literature
Vynd

Votes cast by active players:  15 / 21 = 71.428571%
Yes:  12    No:  2     Present:  1   ...Proposal accepted.

YES votes:
	IdiotBoy
	Atilla the Pun
	Niccolo Flychuck
	Bascule
	two-star
	Calvin N Hobbes
	mr cwm
	Alfvaen
	/dev/joe
	Techno
	Vynd
	Guy Fawkes

NO votes:
	You can call me Al
	Antimatter

PRESENT votes:
	Robert Sevin

Active players who did not vote:
	breadbox
	Mohammed
	snowgod
	Red Barn
	fnord
	ThinMan

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 2010
Literature
Vynd
Distributed at 15:51:21 on Sunday, 18 May 1997

This is a Modest proposal.

Create a new rule with the following text:

{{[This is an idea I've been toying with for quite some time, and I think
I've finally managed to come up with a reasonable way of implementing it.
I had originaly hoped to assemble a list of websites with online
books and the like, but this proved more than a little bit
unfeasible.  So I decided that, Ackanomic being the proposal
writting, ammendment making place that it is, why not just make a
list that people can try to get their favorite authors and tapes
and whatever onto themselves. If this passes, it should not only lead to
more interesting proposals, but actually directly stimulate a number of
proposals ammedning and building off of it.]}}

I.  Some special proposals are literature.  These are, of course, the
proposals in which actual literature is quoted.  To be considered a piece
of literature, a proposal must meet the following requirements:

A)  The proposal must contain in it's body [as opposed to title] one or
more quotations from sources listed on the Literature list found below in
section IV.  This quotation must be an exact copy of words found in,
written, uttered or otherwise communicated by the source, enclosed in
quotation marks.  It must be either a complete sentence of 7 words or
more, or a contiguous phrase of at least 14 words in length. [This last
bit is to try and stop people from trying to pass off "to be" as a quote
from Hamlet, and the like.]

B)  The source of the quotation must be cited in brackets [like this] 
immediately following the quotation itself.  This citation should include
the author or orator of the quotation, and also the work and page
number(s) [or scene, act, lines, stanzas, etc] where it can be found, if
applicable.  [Note that I am deliberately not making any penalty for
failing to cite a quotation, beyond the fact that it won't let your
proposal qualify as literature.  I considered including a "plagarism"
penalty here, but I think it's better to have the quote uncited than to
not have them at all because so and so couldn't remember the page
number for the line he's thinking of].

II.  Whenever a proposal that is literature passes, it's author gains X
points.  X is either the number of sentences quoted according to
section I of this rule, or the number the total number of words quoted
according to section I divided by 14, whichever is smaller.

III.  If a proposal consisting entirely of quotations and citations as
described in section I passes, and was not a Modest proposal, then that
proposal is known as a Great Work.  In adition to the point gain described
in section II, the author of the proposal shall recieve A$200 in
royalties.  Any player who voted against a Great Work will lose 7 points
for their bad taste.

IV.  The Literature list is the list of all sources that can be
cited according to section 1 of this rule to cause a proposal to become
literature.  There are two forms of entries on the Literature list,
Artists and Works.  Artists can be any individual or, any group of people 
that collaborated to produce quotable material [for example, The Beatles].
The format for an Artist entry on the Literature list is "Artist: name(s)
of artist(s)."  Works are some type of recording of words.  The format
for a Works entry on the Literature list is "Work: name of work."
Collections of connected works [for example, The Star Wars trilogy] are
permissible as a single entry, but not collections of unconnected works
[such as an anthology of poetry by multiple authors].  The Literature list
can be changed through the normal method of submitting proposals, but
anything on the list which is not in the proper format is not considered a
source and cannot be quoted according to section I.

The Literature list:

Artist: William Shakespeare
Work: The Bible, Old and New Testaments
Artist: The Beatles
Artist: They Might Be Giants
Artist: J.R.R. Tolkein
Artist: Confucious
Work: The Constitution of the United States of America

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 00:33:42 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2017

Proposal 2017
More Harfy Aliens
/dev/joe

{{[Having seen that there is not nearly the level of xenophobia in Acka
that I believed, I'm going to try something different.]}}

{{[Gist: The aliens have improved their technique.  While it is still
possible for them to take any rule, rules that form the basic structure
of Ackanomic make poor abductees, and abducting them may undermine future
abduction attempts, while harfy rules taste the best to the aliens.
Their new technique results in more frequent abductions overall, and
more frequent abductions of harfy rules, but less frequent abductions
that kill the game for a week.]}}

Amend rule 1131, The Sinister Alien Abduction Act, by changing the
second paragraph of section I to read:

  The selection of the Rule to be abducted by Sinister Aliens occurs
  as follows:  as soon as possible after the distribution of the
  magic potato, the Officer in Charge of Random Things shall select
  a random integer in the range [1100,1199].  This number is called the
  Alien Target Designation Number, or ATDN.  If the ATDN selected is
  the number of a rule, then that rule is abducted as described below,
  and no further ATDNs are selected that week.  If the ATDN is not the
  number of a rule, a new ATDN is selected as above, except that the
  second ATDN chosen in a week is taken from the range [1300,1399],
  the third ATDN chosen in a week is taken from the range [M,N] where
  M and N are respectively the lowest and highest numbers of rules in
  the present rule set, and no more than 3 ATDNs will be chosen in a week.
  If 3 ATDNs are chosen in a week and the Aliens fail to abduct a rule,
  the aliens are deemed incompetent, and no rule can be abducted until
  the next Magic Potato distribution.

Delete the sentence "This Rule defers to all other Rules which do not
contain this sentence." from Rule 106.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 12:39:18 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2018

Proposal 2018
vote for me or I'll break your knee caps
snowgod

{{Upon the aceptance of this rule, Mr. Nacho's score shall be increased by
whatever sum nessacary to make in one less than the magic number.  Mr.
Nacho will than be magically transformed into a pumpkin.}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 13:27:30 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2019

Proposal 2019
The Aliens Are Very Sorry Now
Alfvaen

Amend Rule 1131, "The Sinister Alien Abduction Act", as follows:

Replace the sentence "Any deadlines that would be violated because of the
abduction shall be extended one week." with the sentence "Any deadlines
that had been specified by the abducted rule that would otherwise fall
within the week of the rule's absence shall be extended one week."
Immediately after that sentence, insert the sentence "This deadline
extension takes precedence over all other rules."

Also, in all Rules, replace all instances of the sentence "This rule
defers to all other Rules which do not contain this sentence." with
"This rule defers to all other Rules which do not contain this sentence
outside of quotation marks."

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #68
*************************************