Subject: Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #62
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Voting Digest)
To: acka-voting-digest

Ackanomic Voting Digest      Monday, May 19 1997      Volume 02 : Number 062

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 15:51:22 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2010

Proposal 2010
Literature
Vynd

This is a Modest proposal.

Create a new rule with the following text:

{{[This is an idea I've been toying with for quite some time, and I think
I've finally managed to come up with a reasonable way of implementing it.
I had originaly hoped to assemble a list of websites with online
books and the like, but this proved more than a little bit
unfeasible.  So I decided that, Ackanomic being the proposal
writting, ammendment making place that it is, why not just make a
list that people can try to get their favorite authors and tapes
and whatever onto themselves. If this passes, it should not only lead to
more interesting proposals, but actually directly stimulate a number of
proposals ammedning and building off of it.]}}

I.  Some special proposals are literature.  These are, of course, the
proposals in which actual literature is quoted.  To be considered a piece
of literature, a proposal must meet the following requirements:

A)  The proposal must contain in it's body [as opposed to title] one or
more quotations from sources listed on the Literature list found below in
section IV.  This quotation must be an exact copy of words found in,
written, uttered or otherwise communicated by the source, enclosed in
quotation marks.  It must be either a complete sentence of 7 words or
more, or a contiguous phrase of at least 14 words in length. [This last
bit is to try and stop people from trying to pass off "to be" as a quote
from Hamlet, and the like.]

B)  The source of the quotation must be cited in brackets [like this] 
immediately following the quotation itself.  This citation should include
the author or orator of the quotation, and also the work and page
number(s) [or scene, act, lines, stanzas, etc] where it can be found, if
applicable.  [Note that I am deliberately not making any penalty for
failing to cite a quotation, beyond the fact that it won't let your
proposal qualify as literature.  I considered including a "plagarism"
penalty here, but I think it's better to have the quote uncited than to
not have them at all because so and so couldn't remember the page
number for the line he's thinking of].

II.  Whenever a proposal that is literature passes, it's author gains X
points.  X is either the number of sentences quoted according to
section I of this rule, or the number the total number of words quoted
according to section I divided by 14, whichever is smaller.

III.  If a proposal consisting entirely of quotations and citations as
described in section I passes, and was not a Modest proposal, then that
proposal is known as a Great Work.  In adition to the point gain described
in section II, the author of the proposal shall recieve A$200 in
royalties.  Any player who voted against a Great Work will lose 7 points
for their bad taste.

IV.  The Literature list is the list of all sources that can be
cited according to section 1 of this rule to cause a proposal to become
literature.  There are two forms of entries on the Literature list,
Artists and Works.  Artists can be any individual or, any group of people 
that collaborated to produce quotable material [for example, The Beatles].
The format for an Artist entry on the Literature list is "Artist: name(s)
of artist(s)."  Works are some type of recording of words.  The format
for a Works entry on the Literature list is "Work: name of work."
Collections of connected works [for example, The Star Wars trilogy] are
permissible as a single entry, but not collections of unconnected works
[such as an anthology of poetry by multiple authors].  The Literature list
can be changed through the normal method of submitting proposals, but
anything on the list which is not in the proper format is not considered a
source and cannot be quoted according to section I.

The Literature list:

Artist: William Shakespeare
Work: The Bible, Old and New Testaments
Artist: The Beatles
Artist: They Might Be Giants
Artist: J.R.R. Tolkein
Artist: Confucious
Work: The Constitution of the United States of America

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #62
*************************************