Subject: Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #58
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Voting Digest)
To: acka-voting-digest

Ackanomic Voting Digest     Thursday, May 15 1997     Volume 02 : Number 058

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 11:51:27 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1998

Proposal 1998
Twice In Two Days???
Alfvaen

This is a Modest proposal.

In Rule 903 ("Gumball"), amend the paragraph

   For the purposes of this rule, alternate Wednesdays and Thursdays are
   defined as the second and fourth Wednesdays and the first and third
   Thursdays of each calendar month.

to read

   For the purposes of this rule, alternate Wednesdays and Thursdays
   are defined as the second and fourth Wednesdays and the first and
   third Thursdays of each calendar month, except in the case where the
   first day of the month is a Thursday(when otherwise this would mean
   that the Gumball was chewable on consecutive days); in such months
   alternate Wednesdays and Thursdays will be the first and third
   Wednesdays and Thursdays of the month, i.e. the 1st, 7th, 15th, and
   21st of the month.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 11:54:33 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2000

Proposal 2000
Never Narf Alone
Alfvaen

{{[The current rules for the Narfalone Family seem a bit silly, since you
can do almost anything you want as a public member of the Family without
publicly admitting your membership.  This should have most of the same
effect, and be a bit more in the spirit of the thing.]}}

Amend Rule 1060("Organized Crime") to add the following clause:

   11. When a player joins the Narfalone Family(or if at any time a
   Family member does not have a Narfalone Family name)he must choose a
   Narfalone Family name.  The Godfather must approve of any name
   before the player can use it.  The name must be a legal Ackanomic
   name in all respects, and cannot conflict with any other entity
   name.  (If, at a later time, the name is used for something else, it
   is the Godfather's responsibility to inform the new user of the name
   that it's already taken.)

   From then on, any Narfalone Family business that requires a public
   message should be done using the player's Narfalone Family name.
   Otherwise, the public message is tantamount to an admission of
   membership, which is still a Crime.  Use of the names in private
   Narfalone email is at the discretion of the individual players.

   The title of The Godfather is considered a Narfalone Family name for
   the purposes of this clause.

   [So if /dev/joe were to take the name Joey Narfalone for Family
   business, any public messages posted as Joey Narfalone would be safe
   from reprisal, but if /dev/joe were to acknowledge the Godfather
   under his own name, he'd get the law on his case.]

Also, delete the following sentences from existing clauses {{[since they
are no longer needed ]}}

Clause 3: Delete the sentence "Public admittance of bein the Godfather does
not entail admittance of belonging to the Narfalone Family."  {{[And it
should have been "admission" anyway...:-)]}}

Clause 5: Delete the sentence "This does not constitude an admittance
of membership in the Narfalone Family" and the sentence "Publicly
acknowledging the challenger does not entail admittance of membership
in the Narfalone Family."

Clause 7: Delete the sentence "This also does not constitute an admittance
of membership in the Narfalone Family."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 11:54:33 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1999

Proposal 1999
Why Do You Think I Have This Outrageous Accent?
Alfvaen

Append the following paragraphs to Rule 500.1, "Entity Names":

   An alphabetic character can be "accented".  If this is the case, then it
   has two equivalent representations, one with the non-accented alphabetic
   character, and one with an accented representation of the same character.
   The accented representation will be in accord with the HTML standard, so
   that, for instance, an o with an umlaut will be represented as &ouml; .
   (This is the only circumstance under which a semicolon can be part of a
   name.)  The accented representation is intended mainly for use on the
   Ackanomic web pages, where it will show up[in most browsers, at least]as
   the accented character in question.  A character cannot be accented in a
   way that cannot be represented in the HTML standard.  In any context where
   characters are being counted, the accented representation of a character
   counts as a single character.

   [So, for example a character named "those pesky aliens" might have an
   accented representation of eir name as "th&ouml;se p&eacute;sky
   &acirc;liens".]

   {{[I am assuming, here, that Rule 251 defers to this one on the question
    of legal names for players, since players are also entities.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 18:22:31 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 2001

Proposal 2001
The Flat Earth Preservation Society
Red Barn

  I was young and foolish then, I feel old and foolish now.

  Create a rule that reads:

  The Flat Earth Preservation Society exists. Its goal to prevent the Round
Earth Restoration Society from restoring a round shape to the Earth by
building enormous scissor-like machines to cut the tethers of the Earth's
two dangling fragments. Unfortunately, the cost of such machines is very
high -- 15,000 A$.
 At any time, a player may make a contribution to the Flat Earth
Preservation Society by posting a public message containing a non-negative
amount of A$ less than that player's current balance that they wish to
transfer to the Treasury on behalf of the Flat Earth Preservation Society.
If taxes should ever exist in Acka, such contributions are tax-deductible.
 The first player to make such a contribution becomes Chairman of the Flat
Earth Preservation Society, and it is his duty to keep track of how much
money has been transferred to the Treasury on the Society's behalf. Should
this player ever go on vacation or leave the game, the next player to
contribute shall take over this title and duty.
 Once the Round Earth Restoration Society has raised 15,000 A$, a large
machine shall be built, and the southern fragment severed from the earth,
and causing the text in R1319 which reads "Once an additional 15,000 A$ has
been raised, the southern fragment will be likewise joined, restoring a
spherical shape to the Earth" to be removed. Once an additional 15,000 A$
has been raised, the southern fragment will be likewise severed,
maintaining a flat shape to the Earth. When that happens, the text reading
"Once the Round Earth Restoration Society has raised 15,000 A$, a large
machine shall be built, and the northern fragment joined to the earth,
giving it a roughly hemispherical shape." shall be removed from R1319.
 {{[This leaves the Round Earth Restoration Society in existence, since it
may well wish to undertake new, prohibitively expensive, lifting-machines
to recover the fragments (or even to become an organization), but revokes
its power.]}}

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #58
*************************************