Subject: Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #56
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Voting Digest)
To: acka-voting-digest

Ackanomic Voting Digest     Tuesday, May 13 1997     Volume 02 : Number 056

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 01:58:29 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1978

Proposal 1978
How Drab A Home, Otherwise
Alfvaen

This is a Modest Proposal.

In the Rule 846, "Constructions And Architectual Aesthetic", replace the
paragraph

   The player may post a description of a building they own. After paying 
   A$2 per word for the description (to the Treasury) the building is made 
   exactly as their description of it, provided that description follows 
   the rules. It is a crime to give a description of the house which is not 
   in accord with the rules. 

with

   The player may post a description of a building they own at any
   time.  The building is thereby made exactly as eir description of
   it, provided that description follows the rules.  It is a crime to
   give a description of the house which is not in accord with the
   rules.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 01:58:29 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1977

Proposal 1977
How Drab A Home, Otherwise
Alfvaen

This is a Modest Proposal.

In the Rule 846, "Constructions And Architectual Aesthetic", replace the
paragraph

   The player may post a description of a building they own. After paying 
   A$2 per word for the description (to the Treasury) the building is made 
   exactly as their description of it, provided that description follows 
   the rules. It is a crime to give a description of the house which is not 
   in accord with the rules. 

with

   The player may post a description of a building they own at any
   time.  The building is thereby made exactly as eir description of
   it, provided that description follows the rules.  It is a crime to
   give a description of the house which is not in accord with the
   rules.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 09:04:17 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1979

Proposal 1979
Mild Exorcism
Niccolo Flychuck

     Ammend R1230.18 "Creation of a PartyChessPiece Demon in the following
	ways: 

     Delete section 3.
     Renumber section 4 to 3. 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 09:05:22 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1980

Proposal 1980
Polytheism
Niccolo Flychuck

This is a Modest Proposal. 

     In R1301 "Church" delete section 6 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 09:05:23 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1981

Proposal 1981
Trinity
Niccolo Flychuck

This is a Modest Proposal. 

     Append section 6 of R1301 "Church" to read in full:
     "A player may not be a member of more three Churches at the same
	time." 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 09:06:29 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1982

Proposal 1982
Sensible Senate
Niccolo Flychuck

Appen R411 "Senate inf the following ways:

Replace the text "four seats" with the text "six seats"
     " A Senator's term in Office is 12 weeks." 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 09:15:37 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1983

Proposal 1983
Swing High
Niccolo Flychuck

This is a Modest proposal
In R1044 "Swingpoints" delete subsection a of section 2. 
subsection b of section  2 is relabeled a, subsection c of
section 2 is reabled  b.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 09:46:42 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1984

Proposal 1984
Rules of Engagement
Niccolo Flychuck

A proposal that has the following effects:

I. Create a new rule entitled "Rules of Engagement Rule Suite" which
contains the following text:
"
[ Rules of Engagement are a set of rules specific to Organizations,
they are contained in their own Rule Suite, and can be chagned by joint
assembly of Orgnizational Institutions]

[Rules of Engagement]

1.RoE is synonymous to the term 'Rules of Engagment'
2.There exists a class of rules known as Rules of Engagement. A rule
  belongs to this calss if and only if it is a member of the Rules of
  Engagement Rule Suite.
3. The Office of Director is a Political Office. Other rules, including
   RoE, may specify the duties and privileges of Office. 
 {{Renumber this Rule 1260}}

"

II. Create a new rule entitled "Follow the Rules of Engagement" which
contains the following text
"All Organization must abide by the Rules of Engagement at all times
{{renumber this rule 1260.1}}
"

III.Create a new rule entitled "Changing the Rules of Engagement" which
contains the following text:
"In additions to procedures described elsewhere in the rules, RoE may be
be created ammended or repealed by the following procedure:
a. Any member of one of the following Institutions : Synod, Party Hall,
may submit an RoE Motion to the Director.
b. It is the Director's duty to  number the Motion and initiate a vote
in Joint Assembly in the Institutions named in section a.
c. If an RoE Motion is supposred by said Joint Assembly, then the Rule
Changes specified in the RoE motion take effect.
d. An RoE Motion is invalid and has no effect if it contains invaid rule
changes. In additions to restirctions elswhere in the rules, rule changes
in RoE Motions are invalid if they attempt to directly manipulate rules
which are not Rules of Engagement.

{{renumber this rule 1260.2}}
"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 10:04:54 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1985

Proposal 1985
Cross Unions
Niccolo Flychuck

Create a new rule entitled "Cross Unions" which  contains the following
text:
"

1. A Cross Union is a type of Organization.
2.Any member of a Nomic which a member of Internomic may be a member of a
  Cross Union.
3.The members of a Cross Union which are also members of Ackanomic are
  collectively known as the Acka Branch of that Cross Union
4. A member of Ackanomic may join a Cross Union which has an Acka 
   Branch according to the rules for joining Organizations.
5. A member of Ackanomic may join a Cross Union which doesn't have an Acka
   Branch when both the Cross Union and the member in question have posted
   a message to that effect.
6. Should there any question as to whether an Extra Ackanomic Entity is a
   Cross Union, then an Ad Hoc Comittee on the matter of Cross Union may 
   be called.
"
{{Renumber this rule to 1015}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 10:07:09 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1986

Proposal 1986
Ad Hoc Comitte on the matter of Cross Unions
Niccolo Flychuck

Create a new rule entitled "Ad Hoc Comitte on the matter of Cross Unions"
which contains the following text:

"
An Ad Hoc Committee on the matter of Cross Unions is empowered to
determine whether an Extra Ackanomic Entity is a Cross Union.
One of the members of the Committee shall be the Ambassador or a player
appointed by the Ambassador.
The Committee may contact representatives of other nomics to obtain that
may be relevant to its decision.
Once a Commitee has made its decision, another Committee on the matter of
Cross Unions on the same Extra Ackanomic Entity may not be called within
the same calendar month.
For any given Extra Nomic Entity, the decision  of the most recent Ad Hoc
Committe on the matter of Cross Unions over-rides thje decision of all
previous  Committees.
"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 10:16:43 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1987

Proposal 1987
Bigger Than A Breadbox
Alfvaen

Amend Rule 1307, "Ackanomic Middle Ages", to replace the paragraph:

     Any Player who has been burned as a heretic exactly once is
     considered Enlightened.  Any Player burned more than once, however,
     is beyond hope and may never become Enlightened. Any Player who
     is Enlightened is free to say what they wish, and may never have
     a Witchhunt called against them, or be burned as a heretic. This
     paragraph has precedence over all others in this rule.

with

     Any Player who has been burned as a heretic exactly once is
     considered Well-Rounded.  Any Player burned more than once, however,
     is beyond hope and may never become Well-Rounded(or Enlightened). Any
     Player who is Well-Rounded or Enlightened is free to say what
     they wish, and may never have a Witchhunt called against them,
     or be burned as a heretic. This paragraph has precedence over all
     others in this rule.

Also, amend Rule 1320, "This is the way the world ends", to replace all
occurrences of the word "Enlightened" with the phrase "Enlightened or
Well-Rounded".

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 10:19:00 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1988

Proposal 1988
A new light
Niccolo Flychuck

This is a Modest Proposal.
Repeal R1307 "The Middle Ages"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 10:33:16 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1989

Proposal 1989
Info Treasures
Niccolo Flychuck

In R1217 "Buried Treasure!" Append the following text to the third
paragraph:
"A map may contain one or more Info section. Any text contained in
brackets is considered to be an Info section. Info section are not
conditions to find the Treasure.
"

{{[I was looking for a way to conceal information such that it can only be
found if some conditions are met, R1217 provided part of that
functionality, and may arguably provide all of it, but I wanted it
explicit anyway. This tool would allow the creation of Mysteries where  it
would be necessary to collect clues in order to solve the Mystery. I may a
couple of more tools. We could employ the W-File pair as part of this]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 11:05:29 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1990

Proposal 1990
Substitute Players (Let there be Quorum!)
Guy Fawkes

This is a Modest proposal.

Amend Rule 1250.1 in the manner described by proposal 1974.

{{[Allows players to manage another's subgame positions in the event of 
vacation, quitting, etc.  This is already in place in a few subgames, but 
this should handle the general case for all.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 11:20:48 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1991

Proposal 1991
Zzimsy Restoration
Guy Fawkes

This is a Modest proposal.

{{[ Restore the lost lands ]

A small building called "Xanadu", with a 145m tower called the 
"Monument to Futility" is created on 1 kaa of vacant land.  Guy Fawkes owns it.

A small building called "AirHead's House" is created on 1 kaa of vacant land.
The Undead AirHead begins haunting it.

A small building called "Aubergine Hall" is created on 1 kaa of vacant 
land.  The Undead Brinjal begins haunting it.

A small building called "fon's House" is created on 1 kaa of vacant 
land.  The Undead fon begins haunting it.

A small building called "G. Peefalt's House" is created on 1 kaa of 
vacant land.  The Undead G. Peefalt begins haunting it.

A small building called "Habeous Corpus' House" is created on 1 kaa of 
vacant land.  Habeous Corpus owns it.  

A small building called "Bibliophilia" is created on 1 kaa of vacant land.  
The Undead Pascal begins haunting it.

A small building called "this is not a name's House" is created on 1 kaa 
of vacant land.  The Undead this is not a name begins haunting it.

A small building called "Uncle Sam's House" is created on 1 kaa of vacant 
land.  The Undead Uncle Same begins haunting it.

A small building called "Wayne's House" is created on 1 kaa of vacant 
land.  The Undead Wayne begins haunting it. 

[ Assorted other entities ]

Two Otzma Cards of type Go Fish are created.  Guy Fawkes owns them.

A Blue Cross and a Blue Cross Bonus are created.  The Undead this is not 
a name begins haunting them.

A Blue Cross Bonus is created.  The Undead Wayne begins haunting it.

}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 12:42:54 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1992

Proposal 1992
Few Good Things Begin With the Letter Q
Guy Fawkes

This is a Modest proposal.  

{{[ As far as I know, the quorum rule has so far caused one crisis (The 
Quorum Crisis)  nearly caused another (Frebruary's mass forced vacation) and 
created at least one severe nuissance.  (The recent mass forced 
non-voting period).  It does not even meet its intended purpose -- to 
prevent a proposal from passing when almost no one has voted -- as seen 
in the recent quorum hassle, each successive quorum-failure dramatically 
reduces the number of active players; by the time the end of the docket 
is reached, quorum causes the 3-2 votes it is trying to prevent.  
IMO, history has shown this rule to be far more of a nuissance than it is 
worth. ]}}

In Rule 104, change

As soon as possible after a proposal's prescribed voting period ends, the 
votes on that proposal shall be posted publicly. The proposal is then 
accepted if a quorum has been achieved and the required number of YES 
votes were cast on the proposal. 

to 

As soon as possible after a proposal's prescribed voting period ends, the 
votes on that proposal shall be posted publically.  The proposal is then 
accepted if the required number of YES votes were cast on the proposal.

%%

In rule 207, change

If a proposal is rejected, but meets quorum, the player who proposed it 
loses 7 points and every player who voted YES on it receives 3 points. 

to 

If a proposal is rejected, the player who proposed it loses 7 points and 
every player who voted YES on it receives 3 points.

%%

Repeal Rule 107 [Quorum and Active Players]

Repeal Rule 207, Section V [Effect of Proposals which do not meet Quorum]

Repeal Rule 709, paragraph 4.  [Players in Gaol and Quorum]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 12:42:56 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1994

Proposal 1994
A Kindler, Gentler *ping*
Guy Fawkes

{[[ Gist: The last five Truths have suffered prematrue deaths.  Let's fix 
this. ]}}

Replace sections IV and V of rule 1209 [The Machine That Goes *ping*] 
with the following text, delimited by =) symbols:

=)

IV.  Beginning on the calendar day after the Scholar announces the 
Machine's truth, the Machine shall go *ping* exactly once on any calendar 
day the statement described by "today {if clause}" is at any time true. 
The Machine shall not otherwise go *ping*. It is the duty of the Scholar 
to inform the rest of Acka of this occurrence. He must do so by posting
a public message with the form, "Today is Someday, the xth day of 
Month, in the Year of Our Lord YYYY, and the Machine That Goes *ping* Has 
Gone *ping* today. Since I have been scholar, the Machine has gone *ping* 
n times." In the actual message, Someday, xth, Month, and YYYY shall be 
replaced by the appropriate elements of the date of the *ping* which is 
being announced, and n shall be replaced by the number of times that the 
Machine has gone *ping* during the current Scholar's term. 

V. {{[The kindler, gentler part]}}
The Scholar must announce each *ping* as described above either in the 
day in which it occurred or during the next two days.  It is expected, 
however, that each *ping* be announced during the day in which occurs -- 
tardy (although legal) announcments are subject to reprisals as described 
below.  Announcements of *ping*'s not made on the day in which the *ping* 
occurred must be prefaced by an apology from the Scholar for his tardiness. 
"Days" and "dates" as used in this rule are said to begin and end when the 
Acka Day begins and ends.

The Scholar must make exactly one announcement as described above each 
time the Machine goes *ping*.  He may not announce that the Machine went 
*ping* for occasions on which it did not actually go *ping*.  Although he 
is permitted to announce a *ping* on a day after the *ping* occurred, he 
is not permitted to indicate by any means, that the Machine shall go 
*ping* or not go *ping* on any future date, nor may he use any means 
whatsoever not described in the rules to communicate any information 
regarding the Truth to any player, so long as the undisguised Truth is 
not publically knowable.
  
=)

Replace the second paragraph of Rule 1209, section IX, with the 
following, delimited by ;p symbols:

;p

{{[ If no one objects to Scholar error, let it stand ]}}
Should it ever be publically knowable that the current Scholar has 
violated any part of this rule during the current Scholar's term, or if 
the Scholar announces a *ping* after the day in which it occurred, any 
player who feels the Scholar's error or tardiness has compromised the 
game may post a public message calling for the Scholar's removal.  Upon 
the posting of such a message, the Machine immediately teleports itself 
to the home of the Player calling for the Scholar's removal.

;p

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 12:42:55 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1993

Proposal 1993
Because Lightning Sometimes Strikes Twice
Guy Fawkes

This is a Modest proposal.
Insert the following paragraph immediately after the first paragraph of Rule 
1131, Section II.

Any Rule previously abducted by Sinister Aliens is protected by Earth 
Defense Missiles.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 12:56:46 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1995

Proposal 1995
Contracts (Or, How to play lawyer)
Red Barn

  Contracts are entities.  Any player may create a contract by publicly
announcing that e is doing so and providing the text of the contract.
  {{[Hmm, perhaps we need a "document" or something, and contracts and
maps are documents, or a player could write one not functioning as
anything, for, for example, the purpose of burying it.]}}
  A contract has space at the bottom for signatures; a player may sign any
contract by announcing that e is doing so, and signing the contract adds
the signing player's signature at the bottom of the contract.  [Of course,
the wording of the contract might specify a player.]
  Once a player has signed a contract, that player must obey any
restrictions that that contract places on em; to do otherwise is a crime.

  {{[This is *not* so that players will have some way of enforcing
agreements, but rather, for example, so that they will be able to create
their own sub-games or whatever.  It also has uses in conjunction with
treasure maps (if you'll recall, it was decided that maps can't specify 
future conditions).]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 14:35:45 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1996

Proposal 1996
Xenophobia
/dev/joe

This is a modest proposal.

1. Repeal Rule 1131 (The Sinister Alien Abduction Act).

2. Amend Rule 106 by deleting the sentence
  "This Rule defers to all other Rules which do not contain this sentence."

3. All rules currently abducted by aliens are returned to the ruleset in the
  form they had just before being abducted.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #56
*************************************