Subject: Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #52
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Voting Digest)
To: acka-voting-digest

Ackanomic Voting Digest     Monday, April 28 1997     Volume 02 : Number 052

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 09:21:16 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1973

Proposal 1973
Something about the Senate
Niccolo Flychuck

Replace the text "four seats" with the text "six seats"
Append the following text to R411 "Senate" :
" A Senator's term in Office is 12 weeks."

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 09:23:23 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1938 rejected (Here There Be Monsters)

Proposal 1938
Here There Be Monsters
Mohammed

Votes cast by active players:  14 / 17 = 82.352941%
Yes:  7    No:  7     Present:  4   ...Proposal rejected.

YES votes:
	CarsesraC
	Techno
	snowgod
	Mohammed
	Guy Fawkes
	Bascule
	Malenkai

NO votes:
	two-star
	IdiotBoy
	Niccolo Flychuck
	Narf
	breadbox
	/dev/joe
	ThinMan

PRESENT votes:
	Robert Sevin
	You can call me Al
	mr cwm
	Antimatter

Active players who did not vote:
	Calvin N Hobbes
	Vynd
	fnord

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 09:23:24 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1939 accepted (Loosening the Rule Change Necktie)

Proposal 1939
Loosening the Rule Change Necktie
Mohammed

Votes cast by active players:  14 / 17 = 82.352941%
Yes:  12    No:  2     Present:  5   ...Proposal accepted.

YES votes:
	two-star
	Niccolo Flychuck
	You can call me Al
	Mohammed
	Techno
	breadbox
	/dev/joe
	ThinMan
	snowgod
	Guy Fawkes
	Malenkai
	Vulcan Unity vote

NO votes:
	IdiotBoy
	mr cwm

PRESENT votes:
	CarsesraC
	Robert Sevin
	Narf
	Antimatter
	Bascule

Active players who did not vote:
	Calvin N Hobbes
	Vynd
	fnord

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 1939
Loosening the Rule Change Necktie
Mohammed
Distributed at 22:09:31 on Saturday, 19 April 1997

[it isn't a noose, but all the same it's a little restrictive and we
can make the rules less complicated by doing this...]

1.  Amend Rule 103 ("Proposals and Rule Changes") by renaming it to
"Retroactive Effects" and changing its text to read:

No rule may generate any effect that applies retroactively to a time
before the generation of the effect.

2.  Amend Rule 104 ("Adopting Proposals") by renaming it to
"Proposals" and changing its text to read:

- ---
A Voting player may submit a proposal by sending its text to the
Promoter, who shall then post it publicly to be voted on.

All proposals shall be voted on, unless they are retracted or deemed
invalid in accordance with the Rules.  In these cases, they are
removed from consideration, and are considered to be neither accepted
or rejected.

As soon as possible after a proposal's prescribed voting period ends,
the votes on that proposal shall be posted publicly.  The proposal is
then accepted if a quorum has been achieved and the required number of
YES votes were cast on the proposal.

If a proposal is accepted, one of two things happen.  If the proposal
consisted of a list of one-time effects, such as changes to the rules,
then those effects shall be applied, one at a time, in the order in
which they appear in the proposal.  (Ambiguous, conditional,
retroactive, and/or meaningless effects are ignored.)

Otherwise, the proposal itself changes from a proposal to a rule.  [It
is assigned a title and number as described in Rules 301 and 303.]
- ---

[--replaced text:

Rule 103/10
Proposals and Rule Changes

A proposal is any collection of text designated as a proposal,
submitted and distributed as described in Rule 104. If a proposal is
accepted, any valid rule changes in the proposal are applied, one at a
time, in the order in which they appear, starting at the time its
tabulated voting results are officially reported. This is considered
the "time of application", or "when the rule changes are applied".

A rule change is a description of a game effect. A rule change is
valid if it describes the creation of a new rule, the amendment of an
existing rule, the repeal of an existing rule, or the renumbering of
an existing rule.  If an accepted proposal does not refer to amending,
repealing, renumbering, or creating rules, then it is treated as a
valid rule change to create a new rule with the entire body of the
proposal as its text; this implicit creation of a new rule is only
applied in the case defined in this sentence.

If an amendment to a rule does not unambiguously describe the
amendment to take place, it is not a valid rule change.  Rule changes
not defined as valid by the rules are invalid.  A renumbering rule
change is not valid if it attempts to assign a rule a number which is
already the number of some other rule, or if it attempts to assign a
rule number that is not valid.

When a valid rule change takes effect, at its time of application, the
effect described by the rule change happens. The adoption of an
invalid rule change has no effect.

No rule may generate any effect that applies retroactively to a time
before the generation of the effect. A rule change that would have
effects retroactive to before the time of its application is invalid.

Rule 104/5
Adopting Proposals

Voting players may make proposals by e-mailing them to the Promoter,
who shall post them publically to be voted on. Accepted proposals must
guide play in the form in which they were distributed to the players.

All such proposals shall be voted on, unless they are retracted,
nullified, or deemed invalid in accordance with the Rules. In these
cases, they are removed from consideration, and are considered to be
neither accepted or rejected.

When a proposal's prescribed voting period ends, or all voting players
have cast a vote on a proposal, then that proposal is accepted if a
quorum has been achieved and the required number of YES votes were
cast on the proposal.

]

3.  Rule 205 ("When Score Changes Take Effect") is amended by changing
section 4.a), replacing "a rule change created by that proposal" with
"an effect generated from that proposal".

[ --current text
a) If a Score change is called for based on the content of a Proposal,
or a rule change created by that proposal, it is deemed to have
occurred simultaneously with any score changes mandated by R 207. It
is the duty of the Scorekeeper to announce such score changes.
]

[Section 5 also mentions "rule changes" but that uses it in a looser,
more unofficial meaning, so it's probably okay.]

4.  Rule 207 ("Scoring When A Proposal's Voting Results are Reported")
is amended in the following ways:

by replacing "new rule or rule change" in section I. with "new rule or
effect";

[ --current text:
All the following scoring changes are applied at the time the
Proposal's tabulated voting results are officially reported, unless
the new rule or rule change calls for an instantaneous change to 1 or
more players' score, in which case the score changes detailed in this
rule are applied an infinitesimal amount of time after those effects
are applied.]

and by replacing "does not contain at least one valid rule change"
with "does not become a new rule or generate at least one valid
effect under Rule 103" in section VIII.

[ --current text:
The above provisions notwithstanding, if an accepted proposal does not
contain at least one valid rule change, no points are scored by any
player as a result of that proposal being accepted, the preceding
provisions of this rule notwithstanding. Such proposals, and only such
proposals, are "Null Proposals".]

5.  Rule 219 ("Winning By Paradox") is amended by changing "rule
changes are impossible" to "changing the rules is impossible".  [I
think the language was okay as-is, but considering I stepped down from
the SC, I'd better play it safe.  :o]

6.  Rule 301 ("Proposal and Rule Titles") is amended by removing this:

- ---
The title of a rule may only be changed when a rule change amends the
rule, or when a rule changes the title.
- ---

[Changing the title of a rule is manipulating the rule, which is
already restricted under R500.]

7.  Rule 303 ("Proposal and Rule Numbering") is amended by replacing this:

- ---
II. When a rule change in an accepted proposal creates a new rule, it is 
numbered as follows:
- ---

with this:

- ---
II.  When a new rule is created as a result of the acceptance of a
proposal, it is numbered as follows:
- ---

and by replacing this:

- ---
III. When a new rule is created by another rule, or by some entity (other
than a rule change in an accepted proposal) granted the power to
create rules by some rule, it is numbered as follows:
- ---

with this:

- ---
III.  When a new rule is created by another rule, or by some entity
(besides a proposal) granted the power to create rules by some rule,
it is numbered as follows:
- ---

8.  Rule 313 ("Proposal Bribery") is amended in the following ways:

by changing "if it contains one or more rule changes" to "if it calls
for one or more effects" in section I.;

[ --current text
A proposal is invalid if it contains one or more rule changes that
discriminate in any way between players based on their voting actions
on that proposal, or any other specific proposal or proposals
identified in the proposal. ]

and by changing "before any of the other rule changes" to "in preface
to the main text of the proposal" in section VI.A.  [This puts it in
the same category as modesty and grandioseness.]

[ --current text
A. A proposal may include a Bribe section, which must be in a separate
paragraph before any of the other rule changes in a proposal,
beginning with the word "Bribe" and a colon [as in "Bribe: A$1"). Any
Bribe which violates any of the rules regarding Bribes is invalid.]

[716 ("Patent Infringement") also mentions rule changes, but doesn't
need to be changed.  1131 mentions rule changes in two places.  I'm
not sure exactly what it *means* in those two places, to begin with,
so I decided to leave them alone.  I'm sure the change won't hurt
them, anyway.]

9.  Rule 1213 ("Grab-A-Donkey") is amended by changing this:

- ---
An exception to this is maintenence proposals, or proposals whose rule
changes would fix bugs or paradoxes, are permitted by anyone.
- ---

to this:

- ---
An exception to this is maintenence proposals, or proposals to fix
bugs or paradoxes, are permitted by anyone.
- ---

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 15:20:43 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1942 accepted (Repeal Another Unused Rule)

Proposal 1942
Repeal Another Unused Rule
Guy Fawkes

Votes cast by active players:  14 / 17 = 82.352941%
Yes:  12    No:  3     Present:  3   ...Proposal accepted.

YES votes:
	two-star
	Niccolo Flychuck
	You can call me Al
	Narf
	mr cwm
	Mohammed
	Guy Fawkes
	Antimatter
	ThinMan
	Techno
	Bascule
	Malenkai

NO votes:
	IdiotBoy
	/dev/joe
	snowgod

PRESENT votes:
	CarsesraC
	Robert Sevin
	breadbox

Active players who did not vote:
	Calvin N Hobbes
	Vynd
	fnord

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 1942
Repeal Another Unused Rule
Guy Fawkes
Distributed at 12:51:57 on Sunday, 20 April 1997

This is a Modest proposal.  Repeal Rule 511, "In Debt".
{{[ Rule 510 covers the area adequately.  As far as I know, no one has 
ever been in debt; if it were to happen, R510 would freeze the account 
until it was positive again.  Also, the interest and 'divots' bits are 
simply one more thing for the financier to track. ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 15:20:42 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1941 accepted (Fewer Electoral Ties)

Proposal 1941
Fewer Electoral Ties
Guy Fawkes

Votes cast by active players:  13 / 17 = 76.470588%
Yes:  10    No:  4     Present:  3   ...Proposal accepted.

YES votes:
	Niccolo Flychuck
	You can call me Al
	Narf
	mr cwm
	Antimatter
	breadbox
	/dev/joe
	snowgod
	Guy Fawkes
	Bascule

NO votes:
	IdiotBoy
	Mohammed
	ThinMan
	Malenkai

PRESENT votes:
	two-star
	CarsesraC
	Robert Sevin

Active players who did not vote:
	Calvin N Hobbes
	Vynd
	Techno
	fnord

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 1941
Fewer Electoral Ties
Guy Fawkes
Distributed at 12:51:56 on Sunday, 20 April 1997

This is a Modest Proposal.  Amend Rule 402 "Offices, Related Definitions" as 
follows:

In clause (ii)(h), increment the numbers of methods 1, 2, and 3 by one.

Insert the following immediately before method 2):

1) Recount: Count Tabula shall once again tally the votes and announce 
the election's winner(s) as described in sections (f) and (g) above, 
except that this time, votes by non-Player entities shall not be counted.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 15:20:42 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1940 accepted (Declining the Machine)

Proposal 1940
Declining the Machine
Malenkai

Votes cast by active players:  14 / 17 = 82.352941%
Yes:  17    No:  0     Present:  3   ...Proposal accepted.

#award Malenkai: 2 A$ : elec. potato P1940, April 27

YES votes:
	two-star
	IdiotBoy
	Niccolo Flychuck
	You can call me Al
	Narf
	mr cwm
	Mohammed
	Guy Fawkes
	Antimatter
	/dev/joe
	ThinMan
	snowgod
	Techno
	Bascule
	Malenkai
	Vulcan Unity vote
	(None Yet) Unity vote

NO votes:

PRESENT votes:
	CarsesraC
	Robert Sevin
	breadbox

Active players who did not vote:
	Calvin N Hobbes
	Vynd
	fnord

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 1940
Declining the Machine
Malenkai
Distributed at 12:51:54 on Sunday, 20 April 1997

This is a Modest proposal.
- ---------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 1209, "The Machine That Goes *ping*", to replace:

"
      IX. If the Scholar is placed in Gaol or goes on vacation, the
Machine randomly teleports itself to another active player's Home. 
"

with:

"
      IX. If the Scholar is placed in Gaol or goes on vacation, the
Machine randomly teleports itself to another active player's home.
If, before the Scholar announces the Truth, he claims in a public
message: "I have weighter matters to research, such as the shape
of the Earth", the Machine teleports itself to another active 
player's home.
"

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 15:21:49 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1943 accepted (Fixing a Lacuna in the Crystal Chalice Rule)

Proposal 1943
Fixing a Lacuna in the Crystal Chalice Rule
breadbox

Votes cast by active players:  14 / 17 = 82.352941%
Yes:  15    No:  3     Present:  1   ...Proposal accepted.

YES votes:
	two-star
	IdiotBoy
	Niccolo Flychuck
	mr cwm
	Mohammed
	Antimatter
	breadbox
	/dev/joe
	ThinMan
	Malenkai
	snowgod
	Bascule
	Techno
	Vulcan Unity vote
	(None Yet) Unity vote

NO votes:
	You can call me Al
	Narf
	Guy Fawkes

PRESENT votes:
	Robert Sevin

Active players who did not vote:
	Calvin N Hobbes
	Vynd
	fnord

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 1943
Fixing a Lacuna in the Crystal Chalice Rule
breadbox
Distributed at 15:05:12 on Sunday, 20 April 1997

This is a Modest Proposal.

Replace the text in Rule 607 "Winning by Finding the Crystal Chalice"
that currently reads:

"
The Purple Key may remain in the possession of any Player for any
length of time, subject to the following conditions:

1. The current Cycle has not ended.
2. The Player possessing the Purple Key has no other Keys.

If at any time the Player possessing the Purple Key is given another
Key, that Key must be transferred to another Player within seven (7)
days or else the Purple Key is transferred back to the Chartreuse
Goose.
"

with the following text:

"
The Purple Key may remain in the possession of any Player for any
length of time, subject to the following conditions:

1. The Cycle in which the Player received the Purple Key has not ended.
2. The Player possessing the Purple Key has no other Keys.

As soon as either of these conditions are no longer true, the Player
possessing the Purple Key must transfer the Purple Key to another
Player within seven (7) days or else the Purple Key is transferred
back to the Chartreuse Goose.
"

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 16:03:05 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1974

Proposal 1974
Substitute Players
Guy Fawkes

This is a Modest Proposal.

Insert the following text into Rule 1250.1 "Games and Contests" 
immediately after section VI (b).

c) Unless the Rules for a game specify otherwise, players going on Vacation 
may name another player (of Ackanomic) to be their Substitute Player (in 
the subgame).  The Substitute Player may not have been a player of the 
instance of the Game or Contest in which e is substituting at any time in the 
past, and e must agree to be a Substitute.  All responsibilities and 
priveleges of the departed player for the Game or Contest fall to the 
Substitute Player [if the Substitute Player wins the subgame, the Trophy goes 
to em].  When the original Player returns from Vacation, e resumes 
playing for emself.  It is considered good form for em to give the 
Substitute Player some recompense for eir services.  Participants in 
Duels may not have Substitute Players for the Duel. 

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #52
*************************************