Subject: Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #49
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Voting Digest)
To: acka-voting-digest

Ackanomic Voting Digest    Thursday, April 24 1997    Volume 02 : Number 049

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 11:01:28 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1962

Proposal 1962
Making Use of the Gumball
Guy Fawkes

Replace the first paragraph of Rule 419.2 "Ackanomic/Internomic 
Interface" with the following:

The Gumball is Ackanomic's Liaison to Internomic.  The Ambassador (or in 
eir absense, the Speaker, is the Assistant to the Gumball.  The Gumball, 
being a very busy entity, has no time to fulfill any of responsibilities 
of the Liaison-ship, and so it is the duty of the Assistant to the 
Gumball to peform all the duties of the Liaison.

- -----

Add the following to the end of Rule 903:

The Gumball is registered as a non-voting player in Ackanomic.  This 
takes precedence over Rule 250 and any other rule which would deny the 
Gumball non-voting player status.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 16:24:41 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1926 accepted (Games and Contests Reorganization)

Proposal 1926
Games and Contests Reorganization
Malenkai

Votes cast by active players:  17 / 19 = 89.473684%
Yes:  17    No:  2     Present:  3   ...Proposal accepted.

#award Malenkai: 2 A$ : elec. potato P1926, April 23

YES votes:
	You can call me Al
	IdiotBoy
	Guy Fawkes
	CarsesraC
	Niccolo Flychuck
	two-star
	Calvin N Hobbes
	mr cwm
	Narf
	fnord
	ThinMan
	/dev/joe
	Mohammed
	Techno
	Bascule
	Malenkai
	Vulcan Unity vote

NO votes:
	snowgod
	Vynd

PRESENT votes:
	Robert Sevin
	breadbox
	Antimatter

Active players who did not vote:
	Ackers
	Red Barn

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 1926
Games and Contests Reorganization
Malenkai
Distributed at 00:06:45 on Wednesday, 16 April 1997

{{[this moves all of the extant G&C entries into a rule suite,
eliminates the GamesMaster (who only slows down the game starts,
and whos function can be performed by the referee or other acka
officers), preserves the mechanism of getting a game approved,
provides a few minor standardizations, adds trophies (to get rid
of stuff like the Golden Knife in the main rules, while still allowing
games to have distinctive prizes, or a 'Gamescore' to be kept; for
future use towards alternate winning conditions or hidden adjenda.)

It had to be broken into several files, because adding each game
in here would be too much.  I have created Blueprints to contain
their text, which is exclusively a port of the actual G&C entries,
with some of the standardizations and a few bug fixes worked in.]}}

This is a Grandiose proposal.

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Renumber the rule created by proposal 1919 (viruses game) to 1250.16,
and change its title to "Viruses".

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 1250.1, "Games & Contests", to read:

"
I.  Games & Contests

There exists a class of entities known as Games & Contests, hereafter,
for the purposes of the rules in this Rule Suite, known as "Games" (Game). 

II.  General Equipment

      a. The rules in this rule suite may define entities to be used as
General Equipment in the games in this rule suite.  Unless otherwise
specified, these entities have no influence outside the instance of the
Game in which they are being used.  The term 'General Equipment', as 
used elsewhere in this rule suite, shall be construed to mean instances
of any or all of these defined entities, as appropriate. 

III. Game Descriptions

      a. Unless otherwise specified, the name of a Game is the name of
the rule that defines it.  Any rule in this suite that defines more than
one game is void.  A rule in this rule suite defines a Game if and only
if it specifies all the information as detailed below (b thru h) (even
if the specification for a particular piece of information is the
word 'none').  This rule does not define a Game:

      b. General Equipment to be used in the Game.

      c. Upper and lower limits on the number of participants in the
specific Game. The minimum for the lower limit is 2. The lower limit may
not be specified to exceed the upper limit. Either limit may be specified
as an integer or or an expression such as "the number of active players
when an instance of the game is instantiated", so long as the previous
conditions of this sub-section are not violated. If a limit is specified
as an expression, it shall be evaluated when the Game is instantiated,
and shall not "float" while the Game is in progress, unless the Game's
rules specify otherwise.  If the expression cannot be evaluated 
unambiguosly, an instance of the game cannot start. 

      d. The Rules for the Game. 

      e. The number of referees, and how those referees are to be
chosen. This must be a non-negative integer. Referees may not play 
or win the instance of the Game they are refereeing, nor may they be
penalized as a result of participation in an instance of the Game,
unless the rules of the Game explicitly say the referee may participate
as a player. They may receive no rewards other than A$, and such rewards
may not exceed A$10 per Game instance.

      f. Conditions for winning the Game. 

      g. Any additional information necessary to play that specific Game. 

      h. Any Trophies (or type of Trophy) to be awarded or transferred to
the winner of the Game.  If the Trophy is specified as "standard", a
Jade Grapefruit is awarded.  [Trophies are described in rule 1250.2.]

IV.  Scope and Precedence

      a. Games may not manipulate any Ackanomic entity outside this rule
suite, except as defined in this Rule, and with the following specific
exceptions: 

      b. Games may specify transfer of currency between participants in
the specific Game, as entry fees, rewards or penalties, subject to
restrictions elsewhere in this rule suite. 

      c. Games may specify a transfer of currency from the Treasury to
the Game (or a participant or referee therein), with an upper of limit
of A$50 per instance of a Game or a Contest. A player may receive no more
than A$100 from the Treasury per calendar month as a result of participation
in the same class of Game ("class" being defined as the definition of a
particular Game). Any excess that would have been received is disregarded. 

      d. Games may add or subtract points from the score of a participating
player. The maximum number of points added or subtracted in any specific
instance of a Game is 8. A player may receive no more than 20 points per
calendar month as a result of participation in the same class of game.
Any excess that would have been received is disregarded.

      e. All rules in this rule suite defer precedence to all those 
external to it, unless otherwise specified.  This rule has precedence over
all others in this rule suite.

V.  Adding Games

      a. Games and General Equipment may be added to this rule suite
via the following procedure (in addition to any other procedures that
are defined in the rules for creating rules).  A non-accepted Game
or General Equipment Submission has no authority to manipulate Acka
entities in any way.

      b. A description of the Game or General Equipment is posted as
a public message, clearly labelled as such.  This is called a Game or
General Equipment Submission (Submission), as appropriate, and if it is
a Game Submission, it must contain all sections as detailed in section III
or it is void and rejected.  

      c. The Speaker, President, or Senate may veto the Submission 
as a public action prior to its acceptance.  Such action should be 
accompanied by a brief explanation as to why.  This act ends the
procedure, and the Submission is rejected. 

      d. If at least 4 Active Players other than the player who posted
the Submission, or 10% of the Active Players, whichever is greater,
publically endorse the Submission within 7 days of its posting, it is
approved (as opposed to accepted), otherwise it is rejected at the
expiration of the 7 day period.

      e. An approved Submission is accepted at the time it is approved,
or 3 days after the Submission was posted, whichever is later.  Upon 
the acceptance of a Submission, the text of the Submission is added as
a rule to this rule suite.

VI.  Starting an Instance of a Game

      a. An instance of a Game may only be started in accordance with
its rules for doing so. If its rules are silent on the matter, however,
(or refer to this section) it is started when one of its referees
announces its start, the names of all its players and referees, and all
other necessary particulars of the Game instance. If the Game has no
referees, it starts when one of its players performs the above functions.
Other rules [e.g. Duels], may define conditions under which an instance
of a Game may start, and an alternate procedure for doing so.  A Game may
not start without the required number of players and referees.
  
      b. A player may not join an instance of a Game in progress, except
as specified in its rules. Games should be designed in such a way as to
handle the contingency of any of its players or referees quitting it at
any time.

VII.  Exhibitions

      a. The Speaker, President, or Senate may declare an instance of
a game an "exhibition" as a public action, even while it is in progress.
In this case, no points or currency shall be awarded or transferred to,
or among, the participants (but Trophies shall be, as appropriate). This
declaration is discouraged, and should do so only under conditions of
abuse or other problems. 

VIII.  Random Determination

     a. If the rules of a Game call for a random determination, either
explicitly or implicitly, a referee of that game is responsible for
making this determination unless the Game's rules specify otherwise.

{{[as it stands now, the officer in charge of random things would have
to do all this!]}}

IX.  Freedom of Participation

      a. Participation in Games is voluntary. No player may be forced
to take part in a Game or a Contest, or be forced to be a referee in
one.  A player may leave a Game they are participating in at any time.
This section has precedence over all other rules. 

X.  Disputes

If a dispute arises in a Game in which there is no referee, or the 
referee is unable to resolve the dispute for some reason, it shall
be adjudicated by the Speaker, or someone appointed by the Speaker,
who shall render judgement as objectively as possible.  If a player
is dissatisified with the decision, a CFJ is their only recourse.
Calling a CFJ is bad form, however, as it is only a game.  Play is
suspended for the duration of any adjudication.

XI.  No Loophole Surfing

      a. Games and Contests are meant to be fun and to enhance Acka.
Using Games and Contests to loophole surf, scam, or otherwise abuse
the spirit and intent of this structure is in bad taste, and players
are permitted to sneer at this behaviour.  Paradoxes arising wholly
within rules in this rule suite do not qualify as paradoxes for the
purposes of satisfiying the winning condition described in rule 601;
this clause has precedence over rule 601.
"
 
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Repeal rule 941, "The Golden Knife". {{[to be replaced by a Trophy]}}

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Create a new rule, numbered 1250.2, entitled "Trophies", with the 
following text:

"
A class of non-Tradeable entities known as Trophies exist.

Upon a single winner being declared in an instance of a Game that had
3 or more players when it started, the Trophy or type of Trophy 
specified for that game is awarded or transferred to the winner of 
the Game.

If the Trophy is defined in the rules to be a unique entity, it is
transferred from where ever it is to the winner (if said Trophy is
haunted by an Undead, the Undead stops haunting it, then the transfer
occurs), otherwise a new instance of that type of Trophy is created
and awarded to the winner.

The following (types) of Trophies exist:

A.  The Jade Grapefruit is a nameless entity.

B.  The Golden Knife is a unique Trophy.  It has a hilt wrapped in
leather, with ornate wrist guards. Its blade is gold plated, very sharp,
and has a channel in the center to allow blood to run off. 

It is the responsibility of the player who possesses The Golden Knife to 
wipe all blood off of it, that may have resulted from stabbing eir allies. 
"

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Create a new rule entitled "General Equipment", numbered 1250.3, with
the following text:

"
All entities described in this rule are General Equipment.

I.  Ackanomic Magic Dice

The Ackanomic Magic Dice will roll 1 to 1000 multi-sided die up to 1000
rolls per request.  Sides may be from 2-1000 sides.

[The AMD will display results automatically to the mail list, or to as many
as ten private addresses.  To use the AMD,  a Player sends an e-mail
message to "[email-masked]" omitting the quotation marks.  In the body of
the message, use the following format:

#P   (up to 10 #P lines allowed)
#S   (up to 1000 sides allowed)
#D   (up to 1000 dice allowed)
#R   (up to 1000 total rolls)
#L   (up to 20 rolls per line)  
#C   (up to 100 #C lines allowed)
#T 

Example:

#P [email-masked]
#S 20
#D 1
#R 1
#L 1
#T Acka: Hit determination
#C I am using the dice server roll a d20 to see if I hit

Complete instructions and examples of use may be found at the Dice Server
Web site:   http://www.pbm.com/dice/]

II.  Gamepoints

Gamepoints are chits used to keep score in Games and Contests.  A player
in a Game may possess a negative number of Gamepoints.  Gamepoints are
awarded and forfeited as described in the rules of the particular Game.

III.  Word Validating Dictionaries

a) The Official Scrabble Player's Dictionary (OSPD), as defined by the 
URL: telnet://eel.st.usm.edu:7777

b) Unabr.dict.Z (but used in uncompressed format), as defined by the 
URL: ftp://sable.ox.ac.uk/pub/wordlists/dictionaries/Unabr.dict.Z

c) The Official Dictionary as defined by the rules of Acka.

IV.  Definition Lookup Dictionaries

a) URL: http://gs213.sp.cs.cmu.edu/prog/webster
b) URL: http://humanities.uchicago.edu/forms_unrest/webster.form.html
"

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 1250.10, "Decks of Playing Cards", to append the following
text to the sixth paragraph, then renumber the rule to 1250.4:

"
Decks of Playing Cards are General Equipment.
"

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 1250.12 so that its title is "Description of a Standard Deck"
Amend Rule 1250.12 to replace "Legacy Deck" with "Standard Deck".
Renumber Rule 1250.12 to 1250.5
Renumber Rule 1250.14, "Description of a Eleusis Deck" to 1250.6

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

[This section adds all the G&C entries to the rule suite, which have
been tweaked to fit the rewrite.]

Create a new rule called "Less" with the following text, delimited
by double dollar signs:

$$
{{

This rule has precedence over all other rules.

[The gist is that the actual text of the rule changes to add these
things has been thrown into blueprints, to split them up]

[this creates game of pure skill, limericks, and ghost]

The text delimited by $$ in the Blueprint for the
"Cap'n Crunch Whistle" is taken as a list of 3 rule changes (each one
begins with the phrase 'Create a new rule entitled'), and each
of these rule changes is applied once.

[this creates fictionary]

The text delimited by $$ in the Blueprint for the
"Golden Frog's Tongue" is taken as a list of 1 rule change (which
begins with the phrase 'Create a new rule entitled'), and this
rule change is applied once.

[this creates the 2 go games and double crash]

The text delimited by $$ in the Blueprint for the
"BWG Fluff Buster" is taken as a list of 3 rule changes (each one
begins with the phrase 'Create a new rule entitled'), and each
of these rule changes is applied once.

[this creates diplomacy and spades]

The text delimited by $$ in the Blueprint for the
"Its late I'm tired" is taken as a list of 2 rule changes (each one
begins with the phrase 'Create a new rule entitled'), and each
of these rule changes is applied once.

[this brings viruses into standard]

I.  Amend rule 1250.16 "Viruses" in the following ways:

 A. Remove the following paragraph: "This Rule defines the Game "Viruses"."

 B. Replace "Equipment: none" with "General Equipment: Gamepoints as needed".

 C. After the section entitled "Referees:", add the following section:

 "
 Starting the game:

 As described in rule 1250.1, section VI.
 "

 D.  In section 8, replace 

 "
 VirusPoints have no effect outside the instance of Viruses in which
 they are given out.
 "

 with:

 "
 A standard Trophy is awarded to the winner.
 "

 E. Replace all occurrances of the string "VirusPoint" with "Gamepoint".

[This section does some cleanup.]

II.  The game of Diplomacy which was started before the proposal that
created this rule was submitted is terminated without a winner.

III.  The Treasure Map for the treasure referred to as Treasure 101,
if such a map exists, is amended to add the following at the end:

"
Games & Contest page also includes games of 3 or more players in
the Games & Contest rule suite.
"

IV.

rule 1250.8 is recorded with authorship credit of "Niccolo Flychuck"
rule 1250.9 is recorded with authorship credit of "Guy Fawkes"
rule 1250.11 is recorded with authorship credit of "/dev/joe"
rule 1250.12 is recorded with authorship credit of "Guy Fawkes"
rule 1250.13 is recorded with authorship credit of "Guy Fawkes"
rule 1250.15 is recorded with authorship credit of "/dev/joe"

[7, 10 and 14 will already have 'Malenkai', 16 will have '/dev/joe']

For the purposes of the following, 'games and contests entries' shall
be construed as those entities that were under the 'old' system of
games and contests, and in no way shall be construed to be rule in
this rule suite:

V.  All games and contest entries from which an extant game is not
being played are destroyed.

VI.  All games and contest entries from which an extant game is being
played has the following text added to its description, at the end:

"
This is a ZZimsy games and contest entry.
"

VII.  Retroactive Trophies

Four Jade Grapefruit are created.  One is given to Guy Fawkes [Ghost],
one is given to Robert Sevin [Ghost], and 2 are given to /dev/joe
[Ghost, Fictionary]

}}
$$

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Create a new rule entitled "is More" with the following text:

"
This rule has precedence over all other rules.

The office of GamesMaster is created.  {{The last player to hold
an office of that name is awarded this office}}.  The duties are to
manage any ZZimsy games in progress from the games and contest games 
page.

Upon there being no ZZimsy games and contest entries, the GamesMaster
is impeached and the office of GamesMaster is destroyed; this rule
then shall repeal itself.

Upon a ZZimsy games and contest entry having no extant games being
played from it, that games and contest entry is destroyed
"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 16:24:41 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1925 rejected (Ackanomic Imperialism)

Proposal 1925
Ackanomic Imperialism
Guy Fawkes

Votes cast by active players:  17 / 19 = 89.473684%
Yes:  13    No:  10     Present:  1   ...Proposal rejected.

Guy Fawkes bribed Tammany A$ 16 to vote YES.

YES votes:
	snowgod
	Guy Fawkes's Bonus Vote
	Bascule
	Techno
	Tammany
	Guy Fawkes
	Malenkai
	Vynd
	Mohammed
	Calvin N Hobbes
	mr cwm
	CarsesraC
	(None Yet) Unity vote

NO votes:
	Antimatter
	Niccolo Flychuck
	You can call me Al
	breadbox
	fnord
	IdiotBoy
	two-star
	ThinMan
	/dev/joe
	Narf

PRESENT votes:
	Robert Sevin

Active players who did not vote:
	Ackers
	Red Barn

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #49
*************************************