Subject: Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #47
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Voting Digest)
To: acka-voting-digest

Ackanomic Voting Digest    Tuesday, April 22 1997    Volume 02 : Number 047

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 17:17:46 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1944

Proposal 1944
Mr. Beale
IdiotBoy

I was young and foolish then, I feel old and foolish now.

Acceptance of this proposal will amend the complete text of rule 729 to
read: 

The Earth is flat. Contradiction of this fact is Heresy. 
The Chartreuse Goose came before the Chartreuse Goose Egg. Contradiction
of this fact is heresy. 

If, in a public message, a player contradicts any of the above facts, or
implies that they are not so, any other player may call for a Witchhunt,
by publically posting that they are doing so. 

During the Witchhunt, which lasts 3 days, players send their votes to the
Assistant Tabulator (hereafter referred to as the Witchfinder General)
containing the name of the alleged Heretic. Players can vote either "NO! E
has spoken truly.", or "BURN THE WITCH!" 

After the Witchhunt is over, a simple majority (50% or more) will
determine whether or not the alleged Heretic has been burned.The
Witchfinder General will publicly announce the outcome. 

If the witch has been burned, e shall enter the Ackanomic Afterlife, and
shall lose 10 points. 

Any player who has been burned as a heretic exactly once is considered
Enlightened. Any player burned more than once, however, is beyond hope and
may never become Enlightened. Any player who is Enlightened is free to say
what they wish, and may never have a Witchhunt called against them, or be
burned as a heretic. This paragraph has precedence over all others in this
rule. 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 17:17:48 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1916 accepted (Minor Returning Player Fix)

Proposal 1916
Minor Returning Player Fix
Guy Fawkes

Votes cast by active players:  13 / 19 = 68.421053%
Yes:  14    No:  0     Present:  4   ...Proposal accepted.

YES votes:
	two-star
	IdiotBoy
	CarsesraC
	Niccolo Flychuck
	You can call me Al
	Calvin N Hobbes
	Antimatter
	fnord
	/dev/joe
	ThinMan
	snowgod
	Guy Fawkes
	Mohammed
	Vulcan Unity vote

NO votes:

PRESENT votes:
	Robert Sevin
	breadbox
	Vynd
	Malenkai

Active players who did not vote:
	Bascule
	mr cwm
	Ackers
	Narf
	Techno
	Red Barn

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 1916
Minor Returning Player Fix
Guy Fawkes
Distributed at 01:42:59 on Monday, 14 April 1997

{{[ I don't know if this has come up or ever will be necessary, but the 
destroyed ZZimsy Undead make it a possibility. ]}}

Amend Rule 252, "Joining the Game" as follows:

In the first paragraph, replace "prompted the creation of an Undead" with 
"prompted the creation of a still-extant Undead".

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 17:17:48 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1918 rejected (Another Attmept to exorcise)

Proposal 1918
Another Attmept to exorcise
Niccolo Flychuck

Votes cast by active players:  13 / 19 = 68.421053%
Yes:  6    No:  6     Present:  6   ...Proposal rejected.

YES votes:
	Niccolo Flychuck
	You can call me Al
	Calvin N Hobbes
	/dev/joe
	ThinMan
	Vulcan Unity vote

NO votes:
	two-star
	CarsesraC
	snowgod
	Guy Fawkes
	Mohammed
	Malenkai

PRESENT votes:
	IdiotBoy
	Robert Sevin
	breadbox
	Antimatter
	fnord
	Vynd

Active players who did not vote:
	Bascule
	mr cwm
	Ackers
	Narf
	Techno
	Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 17:32:00 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1945

Proposal 1945
Proactive Face Salvation
ThinMan

{{[ In my opinion, the Senate feels some obligation to "save face" in
Internomic by voting in favor of all IN proposals from Acka.  This
sense of obligation can be removed without any extra work by sending
IN-bound proposals through the Senate _first_, at a cost of only a
slight delay in proposal submission.  This will also protect Ackanomic
from anyone who might one day _intentionally_ try to embarrass us in
IN.  I got thinking about this because of IN proposal 322, but I
do not presume to judge why the various Senators voted as they did.
322 might very well have made it through under the revisions proposed
below anyway.  I still think it is worthwhile to make this change,
however. ]}}

Amend rule 419 (Ackanomic/Internomic Interface) by inserting the
following sentence after the first sentence of the third paragraph:
"The Liaison shall then initiate a vote in the Senate concerning
whether or not to submit the proposal to Internomic; he shall abide by
the Senate's decision on the matter."

Amend rule 419 (Ackanomic/Internomic Interface) by appending the
following text to the end of the first sentence of the fourth
paragraph: ", except that in the case of voting on an Internomic
proposal submitted by Ackanomic the Liaison shall cast a vote in favor
without consulting the Senate."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 17:32:03 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1919 accepted (Viruses Game)

Proposal 1919
Viruses Game
/dev/joe

Votes cast by active players:  13 / 19 = 68.421053%
Yes:  17    No:  0     Present:  1   ...Proposal accepted.

YES votes:
	two-star
	IdiotBoy
	CarsesraC
	Niccolo Flychuck
	You can call me Al
	Calvin N Hobbes
	fnord
	Antimatter
	breadbox
	/dev/joe
	ThinMan
	snowgod
	Guy Fawkes
	Mohammed
	Vynd
	Malenkai
	Vulcan Unity vote

NO votes:

PRESENT votes:
	Robert Sevin

Active players who did not vote:
	Bascule
	mr cwm
	Ackers
	Narf
	Techno
	Red Barn

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 1919
Viruses Game
/dev/joe
Distributed at 14:51:36 on Monday, 14 April 1997

Create a new rule as a member of the Games & Contests Rule Suite, containing
the text below:

{{[ Time to test this system of having G&C in rules. ]}}

This Rule defines the Game "Viruses".

[Gist: Viruses is a multiplayer game based on John Conway's "game"
of Life.  The multiplayer aspect is grafted on by way of "viruses" --
each cell can either be clean or infected by any one player's virus;
when a new cell is born near cells infected with just one virus, the
new cell is also infected.  Moves are simultaneous and secret.]

Equipment: none

Players: minimum 2, maximum 20

Referees: 1, a volunteer who may not also be a player in the game.
The referee receives A$10 at the conclusion of the game for his services.

Winning the game: To win, accumulate 10 VirusPoints, or be the only player
left in the game.  See rule 8, below.

The Rules of Viruses:

1. Getting Started
After agreeing on a set of players, the Referee chooses 20 different squares
at random on a grid of 10 by 10 squares (exception: if there are more than
10 players, then the initial grid is made the smallest square region such
that the number of squares is at least 10 times the number of players, and
the number of randomly chosen squares is 2 times the number of players) and
assignes each player an ASCII character besides '.' and '@' to be used to
mark cells infected with his virus.  The randomly chosen squares are
initially filled by clean cells (not infected by a virus), marked by '@'.
All other squares are empty, marked by '.'.  The referee also chooses a
numbering system for the rows and the columns, and should post this
numbering system in some reasonable format whenever he posts the grid.
After the adjustment described in rule 2, this grid becomes the turn 0
state, and the referee shall post this grid publicly to begin the first
turn.

2. Active Area
Just after the initial random cells are placed on the grid, and after each
generation, the active area of the grid is reset to be the smallest
rectangle such that all the cells are contained in it and none of them lie
in the outermost two rings of squares.  (So, if there was a 2x2 block of
cells and no other cells, the active area would be a 6x6 area with the 2x2
block at the center.)  If there are no cells when the active area is to
be determined, a 2x2 block of clean cells is created and the active area
is a 6x6 block with those cells at the center.  [Preserve a minimal
interesting framework to play from if all the cells die out.]

3. Adjacency
Adjacent squares, for all the rules of this game, are any of the 8
squares which touch a square either along an edge or a corner.  An
adjacent cell is an adjacent square containing a cell.

4. Turns
Each turn lasts 3 days from the time the referee posted the state
of the grid before that turn, unless at some earlier time all players
have submitted the maximum number of valid moves they are allowed for
that turn, in which case the turn ends immediately.

Each turn except the first turn, each player may make one move from
the allowable types.  The first turn, each player may make three "Place"
or "Infect" moves.  All moves are made by private messages to the referee.
The referee shall not reveal any move to any player other than the one who
made it until the end of that turn.

5. Allowable Moves
The following types of moves are allowed:
 a. Place - a player may place one new cell infected with his virus in any
    empty square.
 b. Infect - a player may infect any clean cell with his virus.
 c. Step - a player may move a cell infected with his virus cells to any
    adjacent empty square.
 d. Destroy - a player may destroy a cell infected with his virus.
 e. Uninfect - a player may uninfect a cell infected with his virus
    (turning it into a clean cell).

In each case, the square(s) associated with a move must be given in
order to fully specify the move; these should be specified by column
and row according to the numbering system imposed by the referee.
Any move which does not specify square(s) in the active area meeting the
descriptions above or which is not of one of these types of moves is
invalid.  Two moves conflict if they attempt to step and/or place cells
into the same square or try to infect the same clean cell.

6. Resolving Moves
At the end of a turn, the referee examines all the submitted moves.
First, the referee removes from consideration all invalid moves.
Then, if any player(s) submitted too many moves, only the first one(s)
(up to the allowed limit) for each such player are kept.  
Then, the referee removes from consideration all moves which conflict
with one or more other remaining moves.  Finally, all the moves still
under consideration are applied to the current grid.
[This allows players to "change" their move only if they previously
submitted one which is invalid.]

7. Generations
After applying a set of moves, a generation occurs.  The grid is
altered according to these rules (both rules are applied simultaneously
to all appropriate squares in the grid):
 a. All cells which have 0, 1, or 4 or more adjacent cells are destroyed.
 b. A new cell is created in each empty square which has exactly 3
    adjacent cells.  If the adjacent cells are all clean, or there are
    adjacent cells infected by two or more different viruses, the new
    cell is clean.  Otherwise, it is infected with the one virus which
    infects one or more of the adjacent cells.

8. VirusPoints; Winning the Game of Viruses
After each generation, the player whose virus then infects the most cells
scores one VirusPoint, but if there is a tie for most cells, no VirusPoint
is scored.  When a player has 10 VirusPoints he wins the game.  If only
one player remains in the game, that player wins the game.  If there is
ever a time when no player is left in the game, then one of the players
who was in the game the last time there were any players in the game is
chosen at random to be the winner of the game.  VirusPoints have no
effect outside the instance of Viruses in which they are given out.

9. End-of-turn Information
After applying a set of moves and a generation to the grid, as well as
the size adjustment in rule 2, the referee shall post the current state
of the grid publicly, as well as the list of all valid moves submitted by
players for that turn (except those ignored because a player submitted too
many moves), indicating which ones were conflicting, and also the
adjustment in the size/position of the active area of the grid caused by
rule 2, and the scoring for the round and the total scores.

10. Joining or Leaving a Game in Progress
During the first ten turns, new players may join the game by publicly
announcing their intent, if they have not played in this instance of
Viruses before; each new player gets three Place or Infect moves in
his first turn instead of the usual one move.  If a player retires from
the game or leaves Ackanomic, while there still exist cells infected with
that player's virus, a new player may join and take that player's virus
as his own instead of the usual method of starting (but any new player
doing so gets only one move of any allowed type in his first turn).
Despite all the above, if a game of Viruses has the maximum number of
players then no additional players may join.

If a player retires from the game or leaves Ackanomic and nobody takes
over his virus by the end of the turn after the one during which he
retired, all cells infected by his virus are uninfected just before the
moves are evaluated.

If the referee retires for any reason, the game is put on hold until a
new referee is chosen.  The new referee must not be a current player of
the Viruses game, but may be a former player; any Ackanomic player who
meets this guideline may volunteer by announcing so publically.  When
a new referee is publicly knowable, the current turn restarts with a
full 3-day limit; all moves for this turn sent to the former referee are
ignored.  The current referee may not be a player in the Viruses game,
nor may any player who has been referee within the last two turns.

11. Genocide
When the grid is posted at the end of turn 11 or a later turn, any player
whose virus infects no cells is eliminated from the game, unless this would
eliminate all the players.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 18:08:15 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1946

Proposal 1946
Spring Cleaning I
Malenkai

{{[what is about to follow is a series of proposals that attempt
to repeal rules that have not come into play for at least 3 months,
or since their incecption.  I will put in brackets after each one
how long I think (good faith estimate) it has been since the rule
has been invoked.  Rather than make it one proposal, I will let
Acka decide which BWG to keep.]}}

This is a Modest proposal.

Repeal Rule 207.2 "Keep 'Em In The Game" {{[9 months - the eggplants
will still work as intended]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 18:10:21 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1947

Proposal 1947
Spring Cleaning II
Malenkai

This is a Modest proposal.

Repeal rule 420.2, "Ackanomic History Guild" {{[4 months, never used]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 18:12:27 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1948

Proposal 1948
Spring Cleaning III
Malenkai

This is a Modest proposal.

Create a new rule which reads:

"{{all extant bond options are destroyed.}}"

Repeal rule 512, "Bond Options" {{[4 months]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 18:15:35 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1949

Proposal 1949
Spring Cleaning IV
Malenkai

This is a Modest proposal.  

Repeal Rule 714, "Cow Town Hotel"  {{[4 months or more?]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 18:19:41 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1950

Proposal 1950
Spring Cleaning V
Malenkai

This is a Modest proposal.

Repeal rule 1115, "Fulfilling Campaign Promises" {{[this one is a
bit stale by now (the snacks, I mean ;-))]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 18:24:47 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1951

Proposal 1951
Spring Cleaning VI
Malenkai

This is a Modest proposal.

Repeal Rule 1119, "Undead (aka I didn't come back as a bag of groceries)"
Repeal Rule 1121, "This Is Where The Party Ends"

{{[4.5 - 5 months.  These two go together, I guess.  I guess this will be
a vote for if a TMBG reference, and nothing else, is enough for a rule]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 18:26:54 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1952

Proposal 1952
Spring Cleaning VII
Malenkai

This is a Modest proposal.

Repeal Rule 1123, "snowgod's Disease" {{[about 3 months.  It was used in
the beginning, but snowgod's disease goes by now unacknowledged.  Perhaps
another case of lost freshness]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 18:32:00 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1953

Proposal 1953
Spring Cleaning VIII
Malenkai

This is a Modest proposal.

Repeal Rule 1303, "Synod" {{[about 6 months.  It seems like a lot of
currency shuffling for the Financier to track, but I'm missing the actual
*advantage* for an org to join the Synod, why not make your own profits?]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 21:18:10 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1954

Proposal 1954
Presumptuous
Malenkai

This is a Modest proposal.

Amend Rule 843, "Hall of Elders", to replace "one month" with
"30 days", where it appears in section 8.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #47
*************************************