Subject: Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #45
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Voting Digest)
To: acka-voting-digest

Ackanomic Voting Digest     Sunday, April 20 1997     Volume 02 : Number 045

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 16:46:47 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1936

Proposal 1936
Repeal the rules we don't follow II
Malenkai

This is a Modest proposal.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------

I. Amend rule 1240.1, "Definition of Otzma Cards", to remove the
following text:

"
      VI.
      Whenever a non-Null Proposal whose proposal number is prime
is accepted, an Otzma Day is declared. 
"

- -------------------------------------------------------------------

II.  Amend rule 843, "Hall of Elders", to replace

"It is a duty of the Historian to"

with:

"The Historian should"

- --------------------------------------------------------------------

III. [This will allow pubic gatherings to still occur (unnoticed),
but the non-selectance of a bartender not being a crime.]  

Repeal rule 1125, "Bartender".

Amend rule 1115, "Fulfilling Campaign Promises", to append the
following text to the end of the third paragraph:

"
It is a duty of the President to track the bar tab and report it
to the Financier.
"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 16:46:45 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1934

Proposal 1934
1, 2, 3...
Vynd

Ammend Rule 1118/1 as follows:

Add the following text, denoted by $$$ to the end of the third to last
paragraph.

$$$
Any Scientist may exempt himself from the responsiblity of writing this
report himself by publicly posting a message in which he states: "Not it!"
any time within 10 days of the W-File Case being posted, unless he
is the only Scientist remaining who has not posted a "Not it!" message.
If there is only one Scientist remaining who has not declared himself to
be "Not it!" for a particular W-File Case, then that Scientist is now the
only Scientist responsible for writing the refuting report described
above, and must do so within 10 days of the W-File Case to be refuted
being posted, unless another Scientist does so first [out of the goodness 
of his heart, I guess]. If no refuting report is posted by any
Scientist within 10 days of a W-File Case being reported, then all
Scientists who had not exempted themselves from the responsibility of
writing that refuting report will have committed a Crime.
$$$

Delete the second to last paragraph [Yeah, it's kind of cool, but right
now it creates, and has in fact, created, an infinite loop of evil twins
"volunteering."  Let's spread the harf around, eh?]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 16:46:46 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1935

Proposal 1935
Like the crying towell, only better.
snowgod

When one player (hereafter known as player A) submits a proposal that
another player (Player B) feels would have a significant effect on the
gamestate, and which player B likes the idea of, but not the implentation,
and Player A did no publically post an RFC on said proposal, Player B may
post a message complaining about the lack of public RFC.  Any message of
this type must end with the sentence "Do the dumb things you gotta do."

This is called touching the puppet head.

When a player touches the puppet head his score shall be reduced by 50
points and the Sinister Aliens shall cast one vote in opposition to the
proposal to the proposal for which the puppet head was touched. The
Sinister Aliens may not vote more than once on any given proposal, no
matter how many players have touched the puppet head.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 18:28:31 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1914 accepted (Haunted Goose Bug)

Proposal 1914
Haunted Goose Bug
Malenkai

Votes cast by active players:  12 / 19 = 63.157895%
Yes:  13    No:  1     Present:  2   ...Proposal accepted.

YES votes:
	two-star
	IdiotBoy
	/dev/joe
	Niccolo Flychuck
	CarsesraC
	Calvin N Hobbes
	fnord
	ThinMan
	snowgod
	Guy Fawkes
	Vynd
	Malenkai
	Vulcan Unity vote

NO votes:
	Mohammed

PRESENT votes:
	Robert Sevin
	You can call me Al

Active players who did not vote:
	breadbox
	Bascule
	mr cwm
	Ackers
	Narf
	Techno
	Red Barn

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 1914
Haunted Goose Bug
Malenkai
Distributed at 15:32:31 on Saturday, 12 April 1997

This is a Modest proposal.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 258, "Undead", to replace:

"
This clause takes precedence over any Rule that would otherwise allow
haunted entities to be manipulated.
"

with:

"
This clause takes precedence over any Rule that would otherwise allow
haunted entities to be manipulated, except that it defers to rules 
pertaining to the transferrence of the Chartreuse Goose.
"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 18:28:31 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1913 rejected (Double Double Your Enjoyment)

Proposal 1913
Double Double Your Enjoyment
You can call me Al

Votes cast by active players:  12 / 19 = 63.157895%
Yes:  5    No:  9     Present:  1   ...Proposal rejected.

YES votes:
	two-star
	IdiotBoy
	You can call me Al
	snowgod
	Malenkai

NO votes:
	/dev/joe
	Niccolo Flychuck
	CarsesraC
	Calvin N Hobbes
	fnord
	ThinMan
	Guy Fawkes
	Mohammed
	Vynd

PRESENT votes:
	Robert Sevin

Active players who did not vote:
	breadbox
	Bascule
	mr cwm
	Ackers
	Narf
	Techno
	Red Barn

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 20:54:13 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1937

Proposal 1937
Fixing a Lacuna in the Crystal Chalice Rule
breadbox

This is a Modest Proposal.

Replace the text in Rule 607 "Winning by Finding the Crystal Chalice"
that currently reads:

"
The Purple Key may remain in the possession of any Player for any
length of time, subject to the following conditions:

1. The current Cycle has not ended.
2. The Player possessing the Purple Key has no other Keys.

If at any time the Player possessing the Purple Key is given another
Key, that Key must be transferred to another Player within seven (7)
days or else the Purple Key is transferred back to the Chartreuse
Goose.
"

with the following text:

"
The Purple Key may remain in the possession of any Player for any
length of time, subject to the following conditions:

1. The current Cycle has not ended.
2. The Player possessing the Purple Key has no other Keys.

As soon as either of these conditions are no longer true, the Player
possessing the Purple Key must transfer the Purple Key to another
Player within seven (7) days or else the Purple Key is transferred
back to the Chartreuse Goose.
"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 20:54:13 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1938

Proposal 1938
Here There Be Monsters
Mohammed

Rule 1188, "Don't talk to Monsters, Betty" shall be created, reading:

- ---

{{Mohammed is a raving Monster.  No other players are Monsters.}}

There is a Functional Office called the Monster-harfer.  Mohammed is
the first Monster-harfer; he shall hold the position from the time
this rule is enacted to such time as he leaves office in accordance
with the rules (or this rule is repealed).  It is the Monster-harfer's
Duty to keep track of who is and who is not a Monster, and which
Monsters are raving; and to announce that all players are Monsters
when and if that dreadful event should occur.

Monsters are hideously deformed creatures of the night.  When a
Monster sends a message during the day, it should complain about the
general brightness of the place and the nasty human smell about,
unless it is raving, in which case it should not say anything that makes
much sense at all (except where absolutely necessary).  Some Monsters
are raving, and they are considered especially dangerous.  [Monsters
have also been known to post messages explaining in mildly disturbing
detail what joy they derive from messily eating various foodstuffs and
other things.]

Each night at Midnight, each raving Monster shall lose 3 points.  When
a raving Monster transmutes its own Evil Twin, that Monster gains 10
points.  It is a Duty of the Monster-Harfer to announce these score
changes.

There are several ways to become a Monster:

1.  A non-Monster can be Transmuted by another Monster.  When and how
this happens is described below.  The effect is that a player who is
Transmuted becomes a raving Monster; and if the Transmuting Monster
was raving at the time, then the Transmutation satisfies its thirst
for gore, and it thus ceases to be raving.

Any time a duel is completed, if the victor is a Monster and loser is
not, the winner Transmutes the loser.  This is automatic.  Monsters
aren't big on self-control.

Any time a Monster is in the same Location as another, non-Monster
player, and no other players that happen to be priests are present at
that Location, the Monster may Transmute the other player, as a public
action.

If the Scholar of *ping* is a Monster, and he ridicules another player
for making an inept guess at the Truth as specified by Rule 1209, the
Scholar may Transmute the student, as a public action, to be taken
only in the same message as the ridicule.

2.  The Mad Scientist may become a raving Monster at any time, as a
public action.

3.  Any non-Monster player who announces, "I don't want to play this
Monster game; I have better things to do." or words to that effect,
shall be quietly transformed into a special type of non-raving Monster
called a Floob.

If at any time all players are Monsters, all raving Monsters shall
lose 3 points and cease to be raving; and this rule shall amend itself
to read: "All Players are Monsters."

- ---

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 22:09:32 -0500
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1939

Proposal 1939
Loosening the Rule Change Necktie
Mohammed

[it isn't a noose, but all the same it's a little restrictive and we
can make the rules less complicated by doing this...]

1.  Amend Rule 103 ("Proposals and Rule Changes") by renaming it to
"Retroactive Effects" and changing its text to read:

No rule may generate any effect that applies retroactively to a time
before the generation of the effect.

2.  Amend Rule 104 ("Adopting Proposals") by renaming it to
"Proposals" and changing its text to read:

- ---
A Voting player may submit a proposal by sending its text to the
Promoter, who shall then post it publicly to be voted on.

All proposals shall be voted on, unless they are retracted or deemed
invalid in accordance with the Rules.  In these cases, they are
removed from consideration, and are considered to be neither accepted
or rejected.

As soon as possible after a proposal's prescribed voting period ends,
the votes on that proposal shall be posted publicly.  The proposal is
then accepted if a quorum has been achieved and the required number of
YES votes were cast on the proposal.

If a proposal is accepted, one of two things happen.  If the proposal
consisted of a list of one-time effects, such as changes to the rules,
then those effects shall be applied, one at a time, in the order in
which they appear in the proposal.  (Ambiguous, conditional,
retroactive, and/or meaningless effects are ignored.)

Otherwise, the proposal itself changes from a proposal to a rule.  [It
is assigned a title and number as described in Rules 301 and 303.]
- ---

[--replaced text:

Rule 103/10
Proposals and Rule Changes

A proposal is any collection of text designated as a proposal,
submitted and distributed as described in Rule 104. If a proposal is
accepted, any valid rule changes in the proposal are applied, one at a
time, in the order in which they appear, starting at the time its
tabulated voting results are officially reported. This is considered
the "time of application", or "when the rule changes are applied".

A rule change is a description of a game effect. A rule change is
valid if it describes the creation of a new rule, the amendment of an
existing rule, the repeal of an existing rule, or the renumbering of
an existing rule.  If an accepted proposal does not refer to amending,
repealing, renumbering, or creating rules, then it is treated as a
valid rule change to create a new rule with the entire body of the
proposal as its text; this implicit creation of a new rule is only
applied in the case defined in this sentence.

If an amendment to a rule does not unambiguously describe the
amendment to take place, it is not a valid rule change.  Rule changes
not defined as valid by the rules are invalid.  A renumbering rule
change is not valid if it attempts to assign a rule a number which is
already the number of some other rule, or if it attempts to assign a
rule number that is not valid.

When a valid rule change takes effect, at its time of application, the
effect described by the rule change happens. The adoption of an
invalid rule change has no effect.

No rule may generate any effect that applies retroactively to a time
before the generation of the effect. A rule change that would have
effects retroactive to before the time of its application is invalid.

Rule 104/5
Adopting Proposals

Voting players may make proposals by e-mailing them to the Promoter,
who shall post them publically to be voted on. Accepted proposals must
guide play in the form in which they were distributed to the players.

All such proposals shall be voted on, unless they are retracted,
nullified, or deemed invalid in accordance with the Rules. In these
cases, they are removed from consideration, and are considered to be
neither accepted or rejected.

When a proposal's prescribed voting period ends, or all voting players
have cast a vote on a proposal, then that proposal is accepted if a
quorum has been achieved and the required number of YES votes were
cast on the proposal.

]

3.  Rule 205 ("When Score Changes Take Effect") is amended by changing
section 4.a), replacing "a rule change created by that proposal" with
"an effect generated from that proposal".

[ --current text
a) If a Score change is called for based on the content of a Proposal,
or a rule change created by that proposal, it is deemed to have
occurred simultaneously with any score changes mandated by R 207. It
is the duty of the Scorekeeper to announce such score changes.
]

[Section 5 also mentions "rule changes" but that uses it in a looser,
more unofficial meaning, so it's probably okay.]

4.  Rule 207 ("Scoring When A Proposal's Voting Results are Reported")
is amended in the following ways:

by replacing "new rule or rule change" in section I. with "new rule or
effect";

[ --current text:
All the following scoring changes are applied at the time the
Proposal's tabulated voting results are officially reported, unless
the new rule or rule change calls for an instantaneous change to 1 or
more players' score, in which case the score changes detailed in this
rule are applied an infinitesimal amount of time after those effects
are applied.]

and by replacing "does not contain at least one valid rule change"
with "does not become a new rule or generate at least one valid
effect under Rule 103" in section VIII.

[ --current text:
The above provisions notwithstanding, if an accepted proposal does not
contain at least one valid rule change, no points are scored by any
player as a result of that proposal being accepted, the preceding
provisions of this rule notwithstanding. Such proposals, and only such
proposals, are "Null Proposals".]

5.  Rule 219 ("Winning By Paradox") is amended by changing "rule
changes are impossible" to "changing the rules is impossible".  [I
think the language was okay as-is, but considering I stepped down from
the SC, I'd better play it safe.  :o]

6.  Rule 301 ("Proposal and Rule Titles") is amended by removing this:

- ---
The title of a rule may only be changed when a rule change amends the
rule, or when a rule changes the title.
- ---

[Changing the title of a rule is manipulating the rule, which is
already restricted under R500.]

7.  Rule 303 ("Proposal and Rule Numbering") is amended by replacing this:

- ---
II. When a rule change in an accepted proposal creates a new rule, it is 
numbered as follows:
- ---

with this:

- ---
II.  When a new rule is created as a result of the acceptance of a
proposal, it is numbered as follows:
- ---

and by replacing this:

- ---
III. When a new rule is created by another rule, or by some entity (other
than a rule change in an accepted proposal) granted the power to
create rules by some rule, it is numbered as follows:
- ---

with this:

- ---
III.  When a new rule is created by another rule, or by some entity
(besides a proposal) granted the power to create rules by some rule,
it is numbered as follows:
- ---

8.  Rule 313 ("Proposal Bribery") is amended in the following ways:

by changing "if it contains one or more rule changes" to "if it calls
for one or more effects" in section I.;

[ --current text
A proposal is invalid if it contains one or more rule changes that
discriminate in any way between players based on their voting actions
on that proposal, or any other specific proposal or proposals
identified in the proposal. ]

and by changing "before any of the other rule changes" to "in preface
to the main text of the proposal" in section VI.A.  [This puts it in
the same category as modesty and grandioseness.]

[ --current text
A. A proposal may include a Bribe section, which must be in a separate
paragraph before any of the other rule changes in a proposal,
beginning with the word "Bribe" and a colon [as in "Bribe: A$1"). Any
Bribe which violates any of the rules regarding Bribes is invalid.]

[716 ("Patent Infringement") also mentions rule changes, but doesn't
need to be changed.  1131 mentions rule changes in two places.  I'm
not sure exactly what it *means* in those two places, to begin with,
so I decided to leave them alone.  I'm sure the change won't hurt
them, anyway.]

9.  Rule 1213 ("Grab-A-Donkey") is amended by changing this:

- ---
An exception to this is maintenence proposals, or proposals whose rule
changes would fix bugs or paradoxes, are permitted by anyone.
- ---

to this:

- ---
An exception to this is maintenence proposals, or proposals to fix
bugs or paradoxes, are permitted by anyone.
- ---

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #45
*************************************