Subject: Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #28
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Voting Digest)
To: acka-voting-digest

Ackanomic Voting Digest    Thursday, April 3 1997    Volume 02 : Number 028

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 13:31:00 -0600
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1868 accepted (Letting Organizations Accept Gifts)

Proposal 1868
Letting Organizations Accept Gifts
/dev/joe

Votes cast by active players:  13 / 19 = 68.421053%
Yes:  15    No:  0     Present:  0   ...Proposal accepted.

+2 A$ /dev/joe: epotato P1868

YES votes:
	You can call me Al
	IdiotBoy
	/dev/joe
	Niccolo Flychuck
	Bascule
	mr cwm
	Narf
	fnord
	Calvin N Hobbes
	breadbox
	ThinMan
	Mohammed
	Vynd
	Malenkai
	Vulcan Unity vote

NO votes:

PRESENT votes:

Active players who did not vote:
	Robert Sevin
	Ackers
	Jammer
	snowgod
	Red Barn
	Techno

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 1868
Letting Organizations Accept Gifts
/dev/joe
Wed Mar 26 09:47:09 1997

This is a Modest Proposal.

{{[ As it stands now, I think it's impossible for new parties to start,
unless they were initially churches, because the party doesn't have the
ability to accept donations of the money the party needs to buy powers.

There's a really simple fix to this - players can donate gift entities
to orgs the same way they can donate to other players.  Also let orgs
give away gift entities they own (but see R722).  If an org wants to deal
with tradeable, non-gift entities, they need to buy a trade license. ]}}

{{[ So yes, BAKER is still a generic organization; I assume Mohammed will
produce a new version of his Growing Organizations proposal (1852) to
fix the other problem with starting a party now.  Note, they will still
not be able to accept bond promissories without a trade license. ]}}

In Rule 515, "Trading and Gifts", change:

   "A Player who owns a gift entity may transfer that entity to
    another Player by sending a public message announcing the
    action."

to:

   "A Player or organization who owns a gift entity may transfer that
    entity to another Player or organization as a public action."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 13:31:01 -0600
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1869 accepted (repeal rule 1843)

Proposal 1869
repeal rule 1843
Malenkai

Votes cast by active players:  12 / 19 = 63.157895%
Yes:  14    No:  0     Present:  0   ...Proposal accepted.

+2 A$ Malenkai: epotato P1869

YES votes:
	mr cwm
	IdiotBoy
	/dev/joe
	Niccolo Flychuck
	Bascule
	Narf
	fnord
	Calvin N Hobbes
	breadbox
	ThinMan
	Mohammed
	Vynd
	Malenkai
	Vulcan Unity vote

NO votes:

PRESENT votes:

Active players who did not vote:
	Robert Sevin
	Ackers
	Jammer
	You can call me Al
	snowgod
	Red Barn
	Techno

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 1869
repeal rule 1843
Malenkai
Wed Mar 26 09:47:12 1997

This is a Modest proposal.  Repeal rule 1843.  

{{[whether or not the ad hoc committee was successfully called, 
rule 1843 is no longer needed.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 13:31:00 -0600
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1867 accepted (Cleaning up the P1801/1846 debacle)

Proposal 1867
Cleaning up the P1801/1846 debacle
/dev/joe

Votes cast by active players:  13 / 19 = 68.421053%
Yes:  14    No:  0     Present:  1   ...Proposal accepted.

+2 A$ /dev/joe: epotato P1867

YES votes:
	You can call me Al
	IdiotBoy
	/dev/joe
	Niccolo Flychuck
	Bascule
	mr cwm
	fnord
	Calvin N Hobbes
	breadbox
	ThinMan
	Mohammed
	Vynd
	Malenkai
	Vulcan Unity vote

NO votes:

PRESENT votes:
	Narf

Active players who did not vote:
	Robert Sevin
	Ackers
	Jammer
	snowgod
	Red Barn
	Techno

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 1867
Cleaning up the P1801/1846 debacle
/dev/joe
Wed Mar 26 09:47:08 1997

This is a modest proposal.

{{[This proposal only attempts to clean up the mess created by P1801/1846
such that the intended effects occur.  It does not attempt to clean up
any of the other assorted problems with the idea, which is a big
enough job to deserve its own proposal.]}}

1. Insert the paragraph:

"When a player uses telepathy she is permitted to send one public or
private message that other rules prohibit her from sending.  This does
not constrain the recipient's interpretation of the message (i.e.
Telepathy does not permit a player to vote when they are otherwise
not permitted to do so, although it does permit them to send a message
labelled as a vote).  One use of telekinesis permits the telekinetic
player to cast one vote even when prohibited to do so by other rules --
she is said to be able to manipulate her (and only her) vote counter.
A player may vote telekinetically even if otherwise prohibited from
sending messages, whether or not she has the ability to use telepathy."

before the last paragraph of R1117, and then delete all but the first
occurrence of that paragraph from R1117.

{{[ If Part 1 of P1801 actually operated on R1117, then P1846 deleted
this paragraph instead of what it was trying to delete. ]}}

2. Repeal all rules created by proposal 1801 or rule 1801 which still exist.

{{[ This cleans up Part 2.  I note that the entire P1801 was enclosed in
double curly brackets, but since it does not say to create a rule with
that text, and the enclosed text talks about amending rules, Rule 103
ensures that the rule changes contained in the proposal are the numbered
sections, and not the whole proposal as a new rule.  Just in case, though,
I have written "or rule 1801" above; in this case, it is not possible
that rule 1801 created a proposal in Part 2, because Rule 103 ensures
that proposals must be created by the procedure in Rule 104. ]}}

3. Remove all occurrences of the text below (delimited by :-\) from rule 1131,
'The Sinister Alien Abduction Act.'

:-\
[The following ensures that special powers granted to organizations can also
be paranormal. Perhaps time for the Alchemist/Illuminati/Cuthulu
Organizations to start collecting them]

4. Amend R1764 to read, at the end:

Any Powers that contain the word 'alien', 'ufo', 'gray', 'green', 'occult',
'subterfuge', 'abduction', 'unnatural' or plural thereof, shall also be
considered Paranormal Powers. Use by an organization of such a power counts
as a non-player entity use of such.
:-\

{{[ This part was created due to CnH's mismatched quote marks. ]}}

4. Remove the second occurrence of "The selection of an existing Rule to
be abducted by Sinister Aliens is considered a Paranormal Power use by a
non player entity." from rule 1131, 'The Sinister Alien Abduction Act.'

5. Remove the second occurrence of:

"Any Powers that contain the word 'alien', 'ufo', 'gray', 'green', 'occult',
'subterfuge', 'abduction', 'unnatural' or plural thereof, shall also be
considered Paranormal Powers. Use by an organization of such a power counts
as a non-player entity use of such."

from rule 723, 'Organizational Powers'.

{{[ These two sections were added to those rules by both P1801 and P1846.
The last section does no damage, because P1846 replaces the text P1801
put there with a new version (actually the same thing.) ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 17:32:35 -0600
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1899

Proposal 1899
Ad Hoc Enhancement
Niccolo Flychuck

This is a Modest proposal. 

Ammend R1803 "Ad Hoc Comittees" in the following ways: 

I. Delete the text 'Create a new rule entitled "ad hoc comittes" which
conatins the following text:' 

and the double quote sign that follows it. 

{{[I don't think that text really made it into that rule, but for some
reason it's on the web page]}} 

II. Ammend section 1 a to read in full: 

"By a rule" 

III. Append the following text to section 1 as subsection d: "This section
defers to any rule which empower an Ad Hoc Comittee with regards to the
procedures that are considered to valid calls only for the specific type
of comittee which is empowered by that rule." 

{{[We may want to have some Comittees that only the Senate can call, or
that can be called only under certain circumstances, or perhap we might to
be able to call specific comittees under different situations. The
exisitng calls should provide for most cases, though]}} 

IV. Append to section 2 the following text: 

" 

If a comittee is called on a specific case on which another comittee has
already been called in the same calnder month, then the call is void and
is ignored. 

" 

V. Append the following text as section 6: 

" 

If a comittee has been called on a matter, and there already exists a
comittee that has been called on the same matter, then the Speaker has the
privilege to decide that the existing comittee will decide on the new case
as well. In such a case the Comittee dissolves when it has posted its
decisions on all cases assigned to it. Members of the Comittee have the
option to decline the new case. If the number of members left on the
Comittee from below five, then the Speaker shall appoint new members
according to the procedure described in section 3 of this rule. 

In any case the decision of the Comittee is binding to the specific case
on which it has decided. A decision made by an Ad Hoc Comittee can be
overturned according to the rule which empower the that Ad Hoc Comittee. "

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 18:48:59 -0600
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1900

Proposal 1900
Repeal Special DD-Turns
Mohammed

This is a Modest Proposal.

[This changes Party Chess's method for resolving multiple check;
i.e. the case in which no one is in check, and then a Swinger makes a
play that puts two or more Swingers in check.  Why not let the checked
Swingers play sequentially?  I've discussed this with Niccolo
Flychuck, and he objects, but I think his objections are very abstract
so I'll just throw this out and see what people think.

IMHO, the DD-turn rules give undue attention to a *very* rare corner
case at best, and can result in un-fun play and a stalled game at
worst.]

In this proposal, text to be deleted from a rule is quoted
line-by-line using < marks, and text to be added to a rule is quoted
using >s.  These symbols are not part of the actual text to be added
or removed.

Rule 1230.2 (Swingers Like to Play Around II - Let's Play) is amended
in the following ways:

by replacing this:

< D.  When two or more Swingers are checked simultaneously, the names of
< all of the checked Swingers are moved to the top of the list, and a
< Special DD-Turn occurs.  [This is detailed in section 7.B. of this
< rule.]  When the Special DD-Turn is resolved, the Chess-Umpire places
< the names of those Swingers at the bottom of the Swinger Play List, in
< random order.

with this:

> D.  When two or more Swingers are checked simultaneously, their
> names are moved up in the list in such a way that each checked
> Swinger's name appears above all the non-checked Swingers' names,
> but the order of the checked Swingers's names relative to one
> another is unchanged.  (That is, if Swinger A appears above Swinger
> B in the list, and then A and B are checked, then Swinger A and
> Swinger B will both move up toward the top of the list, but Swinger
> A will still appear above Swinger B.)

and by deleting this:

< In the case of a Special DD-Turn, if the checked Swinger's Office is
< still Warm the second time a conflict is declared, then he Surrenders.
< However, he is still counted for the purpose of determining the number
< of repetitions of the procedure described in section 7.B.(i)-(iii) of
< this Rule.

and by replacing this:

< played at least once, and at least one Swinger played only once, where
< a Special DD-Turn counts as a play for each Swinger taking part in
< that turn, in eir capacity as Swinger.

with this:

> played at least once, and at least one Swinger played only once.

and by replacing this:

< made as a public action, except in the case of a Special DD-Turn
< [described in section 7.B. of this Rule].

with this:

> made as a public action.

and by deleting the little subsection-marker "A." at the beginning of
the first paragraph in section 7 ("Chess"), because it doesn't need to
be sub-sectioned anymore;

and by deleting subsection 7.B.

[ --to wit:

< B.  If two or more Swingers are checked simultaneously then the
< procedure described in subsection (i)-(vi) of this section is carried
< out.  This procedure is called a Special DD-Turn.  If the Chess-Umpire
< is one of the checked Swingers then e shall appoint an Assistant
< Chess-Umpire, who takes over the role of the Chess-Umpire for the
< duration of the Special DD-Turn.
< 
< The Assistant Chess-Umpire may be any player, other than a checked
< Swinger, who is willing and able to fulfill the Chess-Umpire's Duties
< temporarily.  If an Assistant Chess-Umpire is needed but there is no
< such person, all checked Swingers automatically Surrender and the
< Special DD-Turn ends.
< 
< If the Special DD-Turn is followed by another Special DD-Turn, then
< the Assistant Chess-Umpire may continue to act in that capacity until
< that turn is resolved as well, unless he is a checked Swinger in that
< Special DD-Turn, in which case another Assistant Chess-Umpire is
< appointed in eir stead.
< 
< Once an Assistant Chess-Umpire is no longer needed, that is, a Special
< DD-Turn has ended and the following turn is a normal turn, the
< Assistant Chess-Umpire resigns, and the position ceases to exist until
< it is needed again.  When it is required that an Assistant
< Chess-Umpire be appointed, the turn begins as soon as the Assistant
< Chess-Umpire is appointed.
< 
< (i) Each of the checked Swingers mails eir play by private e-mail
< to the Chess-Umpire.
< 
< (ii) If there is no conflict between the plays, then the Chess-Umpire
< announces the plays publically and updates the Party Board
< accordingly.
< 
< (iii) If there is a conflict between the plays, then the Chess-Umpire
< announces this fact publically, the plays are not played, and each of
< the checked Swingers must again mail eir plays privately to the
< Chess-Umpire.
< 
< (iv) If the Chess-Umpire decides that there are no possible moves that
< would not result in conflict, then e must announce that fact, and all
< of the checked Swingers then Surrender.  If any Swinger remains in a
< state of check for two consecutive iterations of a Special DD-Turn,
< then the Chess-Umpire declares that Swinger to have Surrendered, and
< all pieces of that Swinger immediately become off-board.  This does
< not change the value of cp.
< 
< (v) If after 4+cp repetitions of the procedure described in steps
< (i)-(iii), the Swingers' plays still result in conflict, where cp is
< the number of checked Swingers, then the Chess Umpire announces that
< fact, and all of the checked Swingers automatically Surrender.
< 
< (vi) The Special DD-Turn plays conflict if any one or more of the
< following are true:
< 
< (a) Two or more of the plays call for pieces to move to or capture
< pieces on the same square.
< 
< (b) One or more of the plays calls for a movement of or capture using
< a piece that is the target of a capture in one of the other plays.
< 
< (c) The result of the plays would be that at least one of the checked
< Swingers would still be in Check.
]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 23:54:48 -0600
From: Acrobot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1901

Proposal 1901
Mutations are Good
Vynd

Insert the following between the last and second to last paragraphs in
Rule 854 Ackanomic Institute of Genetic Replication:

Telepathy: Cost -- 350 A$.  No player may purchase telepathy unless he
already owns an Extra head mutation, and at least one Pointy ear mutation.
A player who has (owns) the telepathy mutation gains the ability to use
the power described as telepathy in Rule 1117, but must follow all
restrictions on and is subject to any side effects of it's use as 
described in that Rule. The Telepathy mutation cannot be removed or
destroyed by the W-File pair or their alien sedative, however,
this takes precedence over Rule 261.

Telekinesis -- 500 A$.  No player may purchase the Telekinesis mutation
unless he already owns an Extra head mutation, at least one Pointy ear
mutation, and the Telepathy mutation.  A player who has (owns) the
Telekinesis mutation has the ability to use the power described as
telekinesis in Rule 1117, but must follow all restrictions on and is
subject to any side effects of it's use as described in that Rule.  The
Telekinesis mutation cannot be removed or destroyed by the W-File pair or
their alien sedative, however, this takes precedence over Rule 261.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #28
*************************************