Subject: Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #23
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Voting Digest)
To: acka-voting-digest

Ackanomic Voting Digest    Saturday, March 29 1997    Volume 02 : Number 023

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 10:52:18 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1873

Proposal 1873
Ackanomic Bureau of Investigation
Calvin N Hobbes

This is a Modest proposal.

{{ Renumber this rule to 262 }}

ABI (also affectionately nicknamed Abby) is an Organization. Any Players may
be an ABI Special Agents (SA or agent for short) provided they meet the
requirements. The President must appoint a Director from any of the Special
Agents if there are any, to be Director for a term of 2 months. No SA may be
Director for more than one consecutive term.

ABI has 3 areas of jurisdiction.
1. Violent Crimes (VC)
        This deals with events that are considered Crimes under 
        the rules, finding the culprits and building a case.
2. Profiteering (PF)
        This deals with financial fraud and wrong doings.
3. Counter Espionage (CE)
        This is to investigate possible outside influences from
        other Nomics in Acka, as well as coordinating with other
        Nomics to help investigate InterNomic Crimes.

Agents are not assigned to specific areas of jurisdiction, but should always
be on the look out for any cases that would fall into these categories. Once
a problem is identified by a SA, then they should begin to build a case,
with evidence, witnesses, for the Director.

Once a SA feels he has a strong case he should give it to the Director. If
the Director does not approve it, the SA should either leave the case open
and move to another, or continue the investigation until the Director is
satisfied. Once the Director accepts a case report, then he should pass it
on to the proper authority. VC cases should go to the Supreme Court. PF
cases to the OotF. CE cases to the Senate.

Once the proper authority has accepted a case, then that case is closed.
Closed cases may be reopened only with approval of the authority concerned.
Open cases may be reopened by any SA.

To be a SA, a player must have been a Player in Acka for at least 4 months,
have committed no crimes in the last 4 months and be holding no office. A
qualifying player becomes a SA by making a public request to become a SA. An
agent cannot run or be nominated for office. An agent convicted of a crime
must resign from ABI. It is always possible to resign from ABI.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 10:52:18 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1874

Proposal 1874
More Lands! More Stuff!
Calvin N Hobbes

This is a Modest proposal.

{{ Renumber this rule to 847 }}

There are exactly 879'651kaa of land in the game. However, the nice lands of
Acka proper that are in use at any given point in time are surrounded by
dense jungles, rocky hills and swamps. To expand the amount of land
available in Acka, players must finance the cleaning up. To add one kaa  to
Acka's lands costs A$1000 to be paid to the Treasury.

If space is required for a new player's home, then it is free. If a player
finances the clearing up, then that player owns the land.

If a kaa of land has no house on it, but at least one house built next to it
vertically or horizontally, then that land is said to be a Plastik
Plantation. If a kaa of land has no house on it, or next to it vertically or
horizontally, then that land is said to be a Zlogerium Mine. The Map-Harfer
need not label the lands owned by players, the status of the land can be
checked when a claim of their use is made.

On the first day of each month, a player may claim to be working their
lands, naming one particular land location from the map. If they own that
location and it is a Mine or Plantation, then they own an extra 1 kilo of
Zlogerium in the case of the former or an extra 1 kilo of Plastik in the latter.

The treasury may claim half of what was produced on the first day of the
month from each player. Both plastik and zlogerium are raw materials and
tradeable entities.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 10:52:20 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1876

Proposal 1876
Ad Hoc Gaming Fixin
Niccolo Flychuck

{{[Puts Decks of Cards into G&C. Fixes the proposal procedure clause to
rule, fixes the
similarly worded clause in Ad Hoc Comittees]}}

A proposal that has the following effects

I. Create a new rule entitled "Moving Generic Decks" which contains the
following text:
{{
Add a listing to the General Equipment section of Games & Contests. The
title of the listing is "Decks of Playing Cards". The description is as
follows:
"
A Deck of Playing Cards (or Deck) consists of some
number of elements called Playing Cards (or simply Cards). 
Cards may not be exchanged between Decks. 

Unless the description  of a specific Deck states otherwise, each Card in
a Deck has two attributes, which are normally called suit and rank, and a
Deck consists of one card for each combination of suit and rank; these are
called the Normal Cards. 

The order that the ranks and suits are listed in the definition of a
particular deck defines the order of those ranks and suits in any game
that cares about the order, unless a different order is specified for that
game. 

Standard symbols or abbreviations for the suits and ranks can and should
be defined in the definition of a deck, to make it easier to write the
contents of a player's hand that might contain many cards. 

The definition of a particular deck may specify none, some, but not all,
of its cards as optional. Upon instantiation, the Acka Rule or Games and
Contest rule which is creating the deck may specify the exclusion of any
or all of the optional cards in a deck. If no such specification is made,
the optional cards are said to be included in that instance of the deck. 

"

}}

II. Create a new rule entitled "Relocating Legacy Decks of Cards" which
contains the following text:
{{
Add a listing to the General Equipment section of Games and Contestss.
The name of the listing is "Legacy Deck of Cards". The description of the
listing is as follows:

"

A Legacy Deck of Cards is a Deck of Card. It  has four suits: Spades
(S), Hearts (H), Diamonds (D), and Clubs (C), and 13 ranks: Ace (A), King
(K), Queen (Q), Jack (J),
10, 9, 8,7, 6, 5, 4, 3, and 2. Spades and Clubs are black. Hearts and
Diamonds are red. 

There are also two Jokers in this Deck (?1, ?2). Jokers have no suit, rank
or color. Jokers are optional. 

"

}}

III. Create a new rule entitled "Relocating Eleusis Decks" which contains
the following text:
{{
Add a listing to the General Equipment section of Games & Contests. 
The title of the listing is "Eleusis Deck".  the description of the the
listing is as follows:

"

An Eleusis Deck is a Deck of Playing Cards. 
It has 8 suits: Wands (!), Strudels (@), Pounds (#), Dollars
($), Maces (%), Spears (^), Daemons (&), and Stars (*), and 15 ranks:
Suber (S), Nomic (N), Monarch (M), Knave (K), Page (P), 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5,
4, 3, 2, Ace (A). In addition to the Normal Cards, there are four
indistinguishable Wild cards (W) in this Deck which have neither suit nor
rank nor color. The Wild cards are optional. In this deck, Wands and
Strudels are blue, Pounds and Dollars are green, Maces and Spears are
black, and Daemons and Stars are red. 

"
}}

IV. In R1201 "Games & Contests" section 9 replace the text :
"Procedure 2: 

A Game or a an entity from the General Equipment section can be added by a
Proposal which has been submitted and accepted according to the Ackanomic
Rules. "
With the text
"Procedure 2:
A Game or an entity in the General Equipment section can be added by a
rule."

V. In R1803 "Ad Hoc Comittees section 1 a is ammended to read in its
entirety:
"By a rule which explicitly states that it makes such a call." 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 10:52:18 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1875

Proposal 1875
How To Make Gadgets
Calvin N Hobbes

This is a Modest proposal.

1. Amend R595 part (vi) to read:
"    (iv) The ability to create Gadgets is a Privilege of a Scientist. A
Scientist may create a Gadget only by performing these tasks, in this order: 
     (a) choosing a type from those defined by existing Blueprints. If the
gadget requires raw material, the Scientist may use that provided by a
player or from the Treasury. The raw materials used are destroyed.

     (b) announcing publicly that a new Gadget of that type is being made.
This cannot be done if the Scientist is already in the process of making a
Gadget. 

     (c) building the gadget. This task is completed when the Scientist has
spent at least three days building, and the Blueprint defining the type of
Gadget to be made has existed for at least one week. The Gadget is created
at the end of this time. If it required no raw materials, then it has no
owner. If the Treasury provided the raw materials, then the Treasury owns
it. If a player provided the raw materials, then the player owns it.

     (d) if a gadget has no owner, then announcing publicly that the new
Gadget has been built and initiating a public Auction of the Gadget, as
defined by Rule 516. Otherwise, announcing the gadget is completed and who
its owner is."

2. Amend R594's second paragraph to read:
"An attempt to create a new Blueprint fails if its text does not (a)
introduce exactly one new type of Gadget, (b) name the new Gadget type, and
(c) unambiguously define the behavior of such a Gadget. A blueprint may
state a requirement of various raw materials. If no raw material are
mentioned then none are required."

3. Amend R935's first line to read:
"The Tradeable Entities known as Processing Chips exist and are considered
raw material."

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 10:52:21 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1877

Proposal 1877
When Modesty Runs Wild
Niccolo Flychuck

A proposal to Ammend R207 by appending to section III the following text:
"
If a Modest proposal ammends a rule that was accepted less than 21 before
the proposal was accepted, and the author of that rule is also the author
of the proposal, or a Modest proposal ammends a rule that was ammended by
a Modest proposal less than 21 days before and the author of the former
proposal is also the author of the latter proposal, then the author of the
proposal does not receive any points.
"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 10:52:22 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1878

Proposal 1878
Ammending Internomic Inerface
Niccolo Flychuck

Ammend R419 "Ackanomic/Internomic Interface" by inserting the following
text after paragraph 4:
"
If three or more Institutions are in session then the Liasion shall
initiate a vote in each of those Institutions to determine how he should
cast his vote in Internomic."

Replace the text :"In the event that the Senate does no reach a decision"
with :"In the even that the majority of Institutions in session do not
reach a decision"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 10:52:23 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1879

Proposal 1879
modest sessions
Niccolo Flychuck

This is a Modest proposal.

Append to R720 "Institutionss" the following text:

"
6. If no rules define when a given Institution is in session, then it is
in session when it has more than 1 member.
"

# end

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 10:52:23 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1880

Proposal 1880
Exorcising Demons
Niccolo Flychuck

This is a Modest proposal.

Repeal 1230.18 "Creation of a PartyChessPiece Demon"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 11:36:30 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1853 accepted ("This is the way the world ends")

Proposal 1853
"This is the way the world ends"
Vynd

Votes cast by active players:  13 / 22 = 59.090909%
Yes:  9    No:  4     Present:  1   ...Proposal accepted.

Vynd bribed Tammany A$ 36 to vote YES.

YES votes:
	mr cwm
	IdiotBoy
	Narf
	fnord
	Calvin N Hobbes
	Tammany
	Mohammed
	Vynd
	Malenkai

NO votes:
	/dev/joe
	Niccolo Flychuck
	breadbox
	ThinMan

PRESENT votes:
	Robert Sevin

Active players who did not vote:
	Bascule
	Ackers
	You can call me Al
	snowgod
	Simon Marty Harriman
	Red Barn
	Strider
	Lestrade
	Techno

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 1853
"This is the way the world ends"
Vynd
Fri Mar 21 09:57:46 1997

Create a new rule numbered 1320 named: "This is the way the world ends"
with the following text:

If the Earth is ever made to be round via the method described in Rule
1319, then the End of the World will have occured.  The world ending
has no effect on the game of Ackanomic, except as specified in the rules.

Players are encouraged to scream in terror when the world ends, and it is
considered good form for the President to post a public message which he
begins by calling for order but then ruins by panicing, repenting his
sins, and crying like a baby.  If any newspaper fails to publicly post an
article notifying it's subscribers of the End of the World within 7 days
of it's occurance, it's owner will be fined A$5 for poor coverage of the
news.

The End of the World causes the cycle to immediately end.  The winner of
the cycle will be the active or vacationing player who had donated the
most A$ to The Round Earth Restoration Society at the time that the Earth
was made round.  If this selection method results in a tie, or the
player who would win is for some reason inneligible to win the cycle, then
the player who most recently became Enlightened out of those players who
are tied will be the winner of the cycle.  If none of the players who are
tied for most A$ donated to The Round Earth Society are Enlightened, then
the Speaker will randomly select with equal probability one of the players
who are tied to be the winner. In any of these cases, the winner will
recieve the title of Prophet of Doom.

All players who became Enlightened at least 14 days before the End of the
World will recieve a Boon of the Ancients for their incredible foresight
and wisdom.  The active player who has been Enlightened the longest should
post a public message in which he castigates those who persecuted him.  It
should include the phrase "You have paid the price for your lack of 
vision."

When a player wins due to The End of the World, the Fat Lady will not sing
as described in rule 667.  Instead, she will sing the song "It's The End
Of The World As We Know It" by R.E.M. for a full 24 hours, this singing
cannot be stoped or accompanied by any means.  Players are permited to
whimper.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #23
*************************************