Subject: Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #21
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Voting Digest)
To: acka-voting-digest

Ackanomic Voting Digest    Thursday, March 27 1997    Volume 02 : Number 021

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 09:47:08 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1867

Proposal 1867
Cleaning up the P1801/1846 debacle
/dev/joe

This is a modest proposal.

{{[This proposal only attempts to clean up the mess created by P1801/1846
such that the intended effects occur.  It does not attempt to clean up
any of the other assorted problems with the idea, which is a big
enough job to deserve its own proposal.]}}

1. Insert the paragraph:

"When a player uses telepathy she is permitted to send one public or
private message that other rules prohibit her from sending.  This does
not constrain the recipient's interpretation of the message (i.e.
Telepathy does not permit a player to vote when they are otherwise
not permitted to do so, although it does permit them to send a message
labelled as a vote).  One use of telekinesis permits the telekinetic
player to cast one vote even when prohibited to do so by other rules --
she is said to be able to manipulate her (and only her) vote counter.
A player may vote telekinetically even if otherwise prohibited from
sending messages, whether or not she has the ability to use telepathy."

before the last paragraph of R1117, and then delete all but the first
occurrence of that paragraph from R1117.

{{[ If Part 1 of P1801 actually operated on R1117, then P1846 deleted
this paragraph instead of what it was trying to delete. ]}}

2. Repeal all rules created by proposal 1801 or rule 1801 which still exist.

{{[ This cleans up Part 2.  I note that the entire P1801 was enclosed in
double curly brackets, but since it does not say to create a rule with
that text, and the enclosed text talks about amending rules, Rule 103
ensures that the rule changes contained in the proposal are the numbered
sections, and not the whole proposal as a new rule.  Just in case, though,
I have written "or rule 1801" above; in this case, it is not possible
that rule 1801 created a proposal in Part 2, because Rule 103 ensures
that proposals must be created by the procedure in Rule 104. ]}}

3. Remove all occurrences of the text below (delimited by :-\) from rule 1131,
'The Sinister Alien Abduction Act.'

:-\
[The following ensures that special powers granted to organizations can also
be paranormal. Perhaps time for the Alchemist/Illuminati/Cuthulu
Organizations to start collecting them]

4. Amend R1764 to read, at the end:

Any Powers that contain the word 'alien', 'ufo', 'gray', 'green', 'occult',
'subterfuge', 'abduction', 'unnatural' or plural thereof, shall also be
considered Paranormal Powers. Use by an organization of such a power counts
as a non-player entity use of such.
:-\

{{[ This part was created due to CnH's mismatched quote marks. ]}}

4. Remove the second occurrence of "The selection of an existing Rule to
be abducted by Sinister Aliens is considered a Paranormal Power use by a
non player entity." from rule 1131, 'The Sinister Alien Abduction Act.'

5. Remove the second occurrence of:

"Any Powers that contain the word 'alien', 'ufo', 'gray', 'green', 'occult',
'subterfuge', 'abduction', 'unnatural' or plural thereof, shall also be
considered Paranormal Powers. Use by an organization of such a power counts
as a non-player entity use of such."

from rule 723, 'Organizational Powers'.

{{[ These two sections were added to those rules by both P1801 and P1846.
The last section does no damage, because P1846 replaces the text P1801
put there with a new version (actually the same thing.) ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 09:47:10 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1868

Proposal 1868
Letting Organizations Accept Gifts
/dev/joe

This is a Modest Proposal.

{{[ As it stands now, I think it's impossible for new parties to start,
unless they were initially churches, because the party doesn't have the
ability to accept donations of the money the party needs to buy powers.

There's a really simple fix to this - players can donate gift entities
to orgs the same way they can donate to other players.  Also let orgs
give away gift entities they own (but see R722).  If an org wants to deal
with tradeable, non-gift entities, they need to buy a trade license. ]}}

{{[ So yes, BAKER is still a generic organization; I assume Mohammed will
produce a new version of his Growing Organizations proposal (1852) to
fix the other problem with starting a party now.  Note, they will still
not be able to accept bond promissories without a trade license. ]}}

In Rule 515, "Trading and Gifts", change:

   "A Player who owns a gift entity may transfer that entity to
    another Player by sending a public message announcing the
    action."

to:

   "A Player or organization who owns a gift entity may transfer that
    entity to another Player or organization as a public action."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 09:47:12 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1869

Proposal 1869
repeal rule 1843
Malenkai

This is a Modest proposal.  Repeal rule 1843.  

{{[whether or not the ad hoc committee was successfully called, 
rule 1843 is no longer needed.]}}

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #21
*************************************