Subject: Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #20
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Voting Digest)
To: acka-voting-digest

Ackanomic Voting Digest   Wednesday, March 26 1997   Volume 02 : Number 020

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 11:30:55 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1865

Proposal 1865
The moment we've all been waiting for!
snowgod

Create a new Rule entitled "Entity Transfer Protocol, Part 2: Properties"
with the following text:

{{[The following two rules create a system wherin objects can be traded
between nomics.  The third provides a means of removing this rule from our
ruleset in case something goes wrong]}}

1) There exists the functional office of Customs Officer. The duties and
privlidges of the Customs officer are set forth by this rule and by the
rule entitled "Entity Transfer Protocol, Part 2".

2) a) Nomics who have assigned to one of their players the duties and
responsibilities similar to those assigned in Ackanomic to the Customs
Officer and whose rulesets include a rule or rules substantially similar to
Ackanomic's Entity Transfer Protocol will be designated Trade Partners of
Ackanomic. The Customs Officer of Ackanomic shall have final authority to
designate Trade Partners of Ackanomic. Hereafter the unmodified term
"Customs Officer" shall be assumed to include both the Customs Officer of
Ackanomic and any player in a Trade Partner nomic having duties similar to
those of the Customs Officer of Ackanomic.

b) In order to be considered substantially similar to Ackanomic's Entity
Transfer Protocol, a rule or rules must specify definitions for all of the
properties listed in section 5 below, must specify these definitions in
such a way that they will not conflict with the definitions specified by
the rules of Ackanomic, and must institute the inspection procedure
describe in section 4 below.

3) Only game entities assigned values for the properties listed in section
5 below by the rulesets of their Nomics of Origin may be transferred into
Ackanomic or into Trade Partner nomics. Game entities may not be
transferred into nomics not recognized as Trade Partners of Ackanomic, and
entities originating from nomics not recognized as Trade Partners to
Ackanomic may not be transferred into Ackanomic.

4) a) Whenever an entity is transferred into or out of a nomic, an Entity
Profile must be communicated to the Customs Officer of both any nomic out
of which the entity is being transferred and any nomic into which the
entity is being transferred.

b)The transfer shall not take place until all Customs Officers who received
the Entity Profile have approved the transfer and have notified their
nomics of the transfer by communicating to their nomics the Entity Profiles
of the transferred entities, and until 72 hours have passed from the time
of such notification without players objecting to the transfer.

c) The Customs Officer must inspect all transfers into and out of his or
her nomic and prevent any transfer that will result in an ambiguity in the
rules of any nomic.

5) An entity's Entity Profile must specify its values for the following
properties:

Properties:
Entity Behavior Rule
Nomic of Origin

***

Create a new rule entitled "Entity Transfer Protocol, Part 2: Properties"
with the following text:

In order to be transferred between nomics, an entity must have rule-defined
values for the following properties in accordance with the specifications
and restrictions set out in the following definitions:

Entity Behavior Rule, or EBR - An entity's EBR becomes a temporary part of
a nomic's ruleset when that nomic contains the entity, and is removed from
a nomic's ruleset as soon as the entity is no longer present within the
nomic. When an EBR becomes part of a nomic's ruleset, it is added as a
temporary subsection of a rule specified in that nomic's ruleset as the EBR
Host Rule. If a nomic's ruleset does not specify an EBR Host Rule, then
that nomic's definition of the EBR property (if there is such a definition)
shall be considered to be in conflict with Ackanomic's definition of the
EBR property. An entity's EBR may specify properties and states for that
entity not defined in this or other rules. The EBR Host Rule for Ackanomic
shall be this rule.

Nomic of Origin - The nomic whose rules created the entity and define its
properties.

**

Create a new rule entitled "Entity Transfer Protocol, Part 3: Just in Case"
with the following text:

One month after the acceptance of this rule as hearing shall be called to
determine if ETP should remain in Ackanomic's ruleset, or if the project
was a dismal failure.  Valid responses to the hearing are "Yes!  We want
our ETP" and "No!  ETP is bad for me!"

If the results of the hearing is "Yes!  We want our ETP" than this rule
shall repeal itself.  If the result of the hearing is "No!  ETP is bad for
me!" than this rule, and all other rules created by the proposal which
created this rule will be repealed.

{{[This is a test of an Cross-Nomic trading system that Ackanomic has
worked on in conjunction with Dr. West of the Pumpkin Patch.  PP has
recently passed a version of this rule into their ruleset, and it is my
sincerest hope that we may soon do the same.  Remember: This is only an
experiment.  If this doens't work out we can always repeal it! ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 17:03:27 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1843 accepted (Calling an Ad Hoc Committee)

Proposal 1843
Calling an Ad Hoc Committee
Robert Sevin

Votes cast by active players:  11 / 17 = 64.705882%
Yes:  8    No:  4     Present:  1   ...Proposal accepted.

YES votes:
	mr cwm
	IdiotBoy
	/dev/joe
	Red Barn
	Robert Sevin
	fnord
	Calvin N Hobbes
	ThinMan

NO votes:
	Narf
	Mohammed
	Vynd
	Malenkai

PRESENT votes:
	breadbox

Active players who did not vote:
	Jammer
	Niccolo Flychuck
	snowgod
	Strider
	Lestrade
	Techno

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 1843
Calling an Ad Hoc Committee
Robert Sevin
Mon Mar 17 23:43:39 1997

An ad hoc committee is hereby called. It is called on the matter of Harf
Names. In particular, it is called upon to determine whether Matthew
Harding, biological brother of Mitchell Harding (Acka name: Robert Sevin),
whose email address is [email-masked], should be permitted to use the name
(delimited by quotation marks) "Harf" as his Ackanomic name. This committee
should deliver a report on this matter in accordance with the Sanctity of
Harf rule.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 17:03:28 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1845 rejected (Sick Days for Sick Players)

Proposal 1845
Sick Days for Sick Players
Calvin N Hobbes

Votes cast by active players:  12 / 17 = 70.588235%
Yes:  5    No:  7     Present:  2   ...Proposal rejected.

YES votes:
	mr cwm
	IdiotBoy
	Narf
	Calvin N Hobbes
	Vynd

NO votes:
	/dev/joe
	Red Barn
	Robert Sevin
	fnord
	ThinMan
	Mohammed
	Malenkai

PRESENT votes:
	Niccolo Flychuck
	breadbox

Active players who did not vote:
	Jammer
	snowgod
	Strider
	Lestrade
	Techno

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 17:03:28 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1846 accepted (Dealing With The Paranormal)

Proposal 1846
Dealing With The Paranormal
Calvin N Hobbes

Votes cast by active players:  12 / 17 = 70.588235%
Yes:  7    No:  2     Present:  5   ...Proposal accepted.

YES votes:
	IdiotBoy
	fnord
	Calvin N Hobbes
	ThinMan
	Mohammed
	Vynd
	Malenkai

NO votes:
	/dev/joe
	Red Barn

PRESENT votes:
	mr cwm
	Niccolo Flychuck
	Robert Sevin
	Narf
	breadbox

Active players who did not vote:
	Jammer
	snowgod
	Strider
	Lestrade
	Techno

Text of accepted proposal:

Proposal 1846
Dealing With The Paranormal
Calvin N Hobbes
Tue Mar 18 01:49:58 1997

{{ This is a Modest proposal.

[this proposal will develop the use of the W-File Pair while giving no extra
required work of the officers, save for one random determination from time
to time and perhaps keeping track of a few things (optional). It is also an
attempt to give serious credibility to this part of the rules, make it more
coherent while keeping and adding some fun. It also makes use of the Evil
Twin rule. It has five parts. There are a number of easter egg type of
references, most for the x-philes among us, but one reference especially for
the musically inclined]

[The following cleans up R1117 to create a clean new rule about the W-File Pair]

1. Amend R1117 by replacing its last two paragraphs by the following:

"So long as a player has the ability to use telepathy and/or telekinesis,
she may make as many uses of it as she likes. However, if a player uses
either telepathy or telekinesis within 17 days (408 hours) of the last time
she used one of them, then that use is considered a Paranormal Power by a
player. Otherwise, it's just considered to be another wind sheared weather
balloon and it is good form for senators to publicly deny everything about
the incident."

[The following creates a new rule that defines the W-File Pair. It also
grants them two powers when paranormal things happen, one over players, one
over nonplayers. Both of these designate someone to be "krykec", who then
writes a report to be rebuffed. This naming has effect only for this rule]

2. Create a new rule, renumbered to R261 called "Dealing with the
Paranormal" to read:

"The W-File Pair is a team of two agents, Mold and Scold. They investigate
paranormal activities and the use of unnatural abilities.

If a player has made use of a Paranormal Power then that player (also called
Krykec for the purposes of this rule) is taken in for questioning. Krykec
will be injected with an alien sedative which destroys one of her doses of
psi-enhancer if she has at least one, and which otherwise removes whichever
Paranoral Power that player has most recently used. They will then question
Krykec about 'alien colonization' for 48 hours, during which time Krykec may
neither take any action that would be prohibited if she were in Gaol, nor
make any use of Paranormal Powers. Krykec is not actually in Gaol during
that time, however, and she is released after the 48 hours are over.

If a non-player entity makes use of a Paranormal Power, then the W-File Pair
will investigate the incident. The first player to volunteer within 24 hours
will be assigned to help them, otherwise one player will be randomly
assigned by the officer in charge of random things, to be called Krykec for
the purposes of this rule.

Within seven days of being called Krykec for the purposes of this rule, the
player must write a report to be called 'W-File Case #number' (where number
is the report number). It is good form for all players to sneer publicly at
the contents of the report. At least one Scientist must write a refuting
report that should contain the phrases 'violates the laws of physics' and 'a
claw is a claw and nobody has seen a talking claw'.

If Krykec has an evil twin, then the twin will be considered to have
volunteered first for the next time this rule needs a volunteer. If Krykec
has more than one evil twin, she may choose one among them.

The W-File pair is a named, unownable entity."

[The following makes the truly harfy and weird Alien attack paranormal]

3. Amend R1743 to read, at the end:

"The selection of an existing Rule to be abducted by Sinister Aliens is
considered a Paranormal Power use by a non player entity.

[The following ensures that special powers granted to organizations can also
be paranormal. Perhaps time for the Alchemist/Illuminati/Cuthulu
Organizations to start collecting them]

4. Amend R1764 to read, at the end:

Any Powers that contain the word 'alien', 'ufo', 'gray', 'green', 'occult',
'subterfuge', 'abduction', 'unnatural' or plural thereof, shall also be
considered Paranormal Powers. Use by an organization of such a power counts
as a non-player entity use of such."

[The following makes using bonus votes a paranormal activity, which,
arguably, it is]

5. Amend R317, replacing part 1 by:

"        1. Bonus Votes are tradeable entities. Use of a bonus vote by a
        player constitutes the use of a Paranormal Power by a player entity."
}}

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 17:03:27 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  P1844 rejected (Riding The Integrity Test)

Proposal 1844
Riding The Integrity Test
Calvin N Hobbes

Votes cast by active players:  12 / 17 = 70.588235%
Yes:  6    No:  7     Present:  1   ...Proposal rejected.

YES votes:
	IdiotBoy
	Red Barn
	fnord
	Calvin N Hobbes
	ThinMan
	Mohammed

NO votes:
	mr cwm
	/dev/joe
	Niccolo Flychuck
	Narf
	breadbox
	Vynd
	Malenkai

PRESENT votes:
	Robert Sevin

Active players who did not vote:
	Jammer
	snowgod
	Strider
	Lestrade
	Techno

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 17:03:24 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1866

Proposal 1866
Striking a Blow for Democracy
IdiotBoy

Amend Rule 106 by replacing the following text (delimitted by %%):

%%
The required number of YES votes for a proposal to be accepted is two-thirds
of the total number of YES and NO votes legally cast within the prescribed
voting period. If that value is 0, however, the required number of YES votes
for acceptance is 1. 
%%

with the following text (delimited by //):

//
The required number of YES votes for a proposal to be accepted is
three-fifths of the total number of YES and NO votes legally cast within the
prescribed voting period. If that value is 0, however, the required number
of YES votes for acceptance is 1. 
//

{{[Finally got around to making this change I've wanted for a long time.]}}

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #20
*************************************