Subject: Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #5
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Voting Digest)
To: acka-voting-digest

Ackanomic Voting Digest     Friday, March 7 1997     Volume 02 : Number 005

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 01:13:41 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1779

Proposal 1779
Pet Animals
Vynd

Create a new rule which reads:

Pets are friendly, animalian, entities.  Owning a pet has been reliably
demonstrated to increase one's lifespan and self-reports of well-being.

Pet Animals (or pets) can be purchased at the "Pet Shop."  The Pet Shop is
a small, common, building near the Courthouse.  Any player may purchase a
Pet by publicly announcing that they are going to The Pet Shop and paying
A$75 to the Treasury.

When announcing that they are purchasing a Pet Animal, a player must
include the following information in their public announcement:

A) The name of the pet, this must follow all rules governing the naming of
entities.

B) The species of the pet.  The pet must be an animal, and it must be no
larger than a horse or cow in size.

C) A description of the pet's appearance.

Once this message has been sent, and the player has paid the Treasury, he
is the proud owner of a Pet Animal.  Each such pet, once purchased, is
unique, there can be no other pet with the same name and species.  It
is important to note that Pet Animals as a whole are not unique, there
can be more than one Pet Animal.  It is the pet's name and species
that constitutes it's unique type.  Other pets with the same name, or
other pets of the same species, are also permissible, as it is the
combination of the two that yields the specific, unqiue, Pet Animal
[Whew].

Players may not own more than two Pet Animals at the same time.  If a
player wishes to end his ownership of a pet, he must return it to the Pet
Shop, after which it is considered destroyed.  Any other attempt to
transfer ownership [i.e.  get rid of] a pet is doomed to failure, as the
pet's unerring sense of direction and loyalty to it's owner will cause it
to return to it's owner immediately, even if it was "Somewhere else."
[Note that pets can still be destroyed through any of the normal means for
destroying entities].  The one exception is in the case of a player who
has left the game.  Any pet in the possesion of a player who leaves the
game is immediately destroyed.

Owners of pets are required to feed their pets at least once every 7 days,
begining on the day that they purchase their pet.  One feed's a pet by
publicly announcing what kind of food one is giving to their pet.  The
cost of this food must be no less that A$5.  Pet owners are encouraged to
pamper their pets, however, and buy special foods, or other treats for
their pets.  The food should be appropriate for their pet, however.
For example: "Cows eat grass," Pigs eat slops, Saber-Tooth Tigers eat
cavemen, etc.  Pet owners are also encouraged to take their pets for
walks, attempt to teach them tricks, and perhaps to play frisbee with
them.

If a pet owner does not feed his pet for two consequtive weeks, he has
commited the crime of cruelty to animals.  His penalty must include the
loss of said pet, which has starved to death and been destroyed.  Players
on vacation are considered to have taken their pets with them.

This rule governs Pet Animals and Pet Animals only.  No entity that is not
created according to these rules is considered a pet, unless it is
specificaly labeled as such, no matter how pet-like it may seem.  [The
Chartruse Goose, Brass Monkey, etc, are not pets].

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 04:29:50 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1780

Proposal 1780
Chess Clock
Mohammed

This is a Modest Proposal.

[This proposal does a lot of silly punctuation-harfing, but it also
has a practical effect: it changes the time periods involved from four
days to three or seven, depending on the circumstances.  I believe the
changes are all worth making.]

[I also believe there's a lot that could be done to make the Party
Chess rules much more readable and understandable.  But that's another
day's work...]

1.  Rule 1230.1 ("Swingers Play Around I - the board and the playing
pieces") shall be amended as follows:

a.  In section 1, replace "The Party Board is Protected." with "The
Party Board is an unownable entity."

b.  Place a period at the end of the first paragraph in section 1.

c.  In section 2.B., replace "one of two ways" with "two ways".

d.  In section 2.E., replace "When ever the word 'piece' or 'Piece' is
used in this rule, it means Party Chess Piece."  with "Whenever the
word 'piece' or 'Piece' is used in this Rule Suite, it means Party
Chess Piece."

e.  In section 3.A.ii., replace:
- ---
  ii.  It includes in its title the words "Creation of a PartyChessPiece,"
       followed by the name of the piece it creates.
- ---
with:
- ---
  ii.  It is a Rule in the Party Chess Rule Suite.  {{[We've had some
	icky problems with this in the past.]}}
- ---

f.  In section 7, replace "All pieces are Protected." with "Party
Chess Pieces are entities."

2.  Rule 1230.2 ("Swingers Like to Play Around II - Let's play") is
amended in the following ways:

a.  In section 1.E.(ii), replace "When the turn is over.  The top
name" with "When the turn is over, the top name".

b.  In section 1.E.(iii), replace "When a single is checked," with
"When a single Swinger is checked,".

c.  In section 1.H., replace this:
- ---
That Swinger has four days in which to
make eir play, otherwise eir play defaults to a Pass with the
following exceptions: (i) With the exception that if a Swinger goes
on Vacation during eir turn, then eir turn is extended by two
additional days. There may be no more than two such extensions per
turn, and no more than 4 such extensions for any given six
consecutive rounds.
- ---
with this:
- ---
That Swinger has three days in which to make eir play, with the
following exceptions:

(i)  If a Swinger asks for more time, either during eir turn or just
before it, or if e goes on vacation during eir turn, then the
ChessUmpire may grant the request, extending the Swinger's turn to
seven days.
- ---

d.  In section 1.H.(ii)(a), replace "If a a Swinger's Office" with "If
a Swinger's Office".

e.  In section 1.H.(ii)(a), replace "If no play is suggested within
two days" with "If no play is suggested within three days".

f.  In section 1.H.(ii)(a), replace "If a play has been suggested
within two days of the beginning of the public NAP turn then the turn
deadline is set to four days after the beginning of a public NAP
turn." with "If a play is suggested within three days of the beginning
of the public NAP turn, then the turn deadline is extended to seven
days after the beginning of the public NAP turn."

g.  In section 1.H.(ii)(a), replace "Nap turn" with "NAP turn".
[might as well.]

h.  In section 1.H.(ii)(b), replace "if four days after" with "if
three days after".  [This regulates the time allowed for a Party whose
Swinger Seat is Warm to come up with a move when they're checked.  The
way I see it, if they can't get organized in three days, it's because
they don't know how to play PartyChess, and the extra day isn't going
to help.]

i.  In section 1.H.(iii), remove this:  [the text is moved down to a
place where I believe it makes a bit more sense]
- ---
     It is permissible for a Party or a Swinger with a Warm Office to
     notify the Chess-Umpire of a Surrender at any time by sending a
     public message to that effect. The Surrender becomes effectively
     immediately. This section of this rule takes precedence over all
     other sections of this rule."
- ---

j.  In section 3.B.(v)., insert this:
- ---
     A Party or a Swinger with a Warm Office may Surrender at any time
     by sending a public message to that effect.  The Surrender takes
     effect immediately.  This section of this rule takes precedence
     over all other sections of this rule.
- ---
at the end of the first paragraph (as part of that paragraph.)

k.  In section 3.B.(iv)., replace this:
- ---
     If a Swinger makes no play
     within four days of the the most recent play made then he is
     considered to have Passed. Such a play is called a Pass by Default,
     and is considered a play for all practical purposes, including the
     four day count.
- ---
with this:
- ---
     If a Swinger makes no play in the allotted time, then e is
     considered to have Passed.  Such a play is called a Pass by
     Default, and is considered a play for all practical purposes.
     [That is, play continues to the next Swinger, and so on.]
- ---

l.  In section 3.C.(i), at the end of this:
- ---
     The process of promotion is as follows: The original promotable
     piece is destroyed, and instantly, the piece to which it promotes is
     created, at no cost, and placed on the square that was occupied by
     the promotable piece when it was destroyed.
- ---
replace "destroyed." with:
- ---
     destroyed, in the ownership of the Swinger who owned the
     promotable piece.
- ---

3. Rule 1230.6 ("Creation of a PartyChessPiece Camel") is amended by
removing the stray quotation mark at the end of section 3 and adding
periods at the end of sections 3 and 4.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 04:29:51 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1781

Proposal 1781
The Rectification of Names
Mohammed

This is a Modest Proposal.

1.  Rule 257 ("No Dead Players Allowed") is amended by replacing "two
days" and "2 days", wherever they appear, with "3 days".

[Change 2 actually halves the size of the rule in question, simplifies
and de-anachronisms (can I verb that?) the language, and does almost
nothing else.  Is it worth it?  You decide.  In any case, I will not
make a habit out of ripping rules for brevity-- this is an isolated
occurrence.  I promise.]

2.  Rule 348 (" ") shall be amended to read, in full:
- ---
No two named entities may have names that match.  The names of Rules
and Proposals are exempted from this restriction.

An attempt to do anything that requires a name to be chosen [such as
creating a Trinket or Organization] fails if the chosen name matches a
name already in use.

Two names match if and only if their primitive forms are the same.
The primitive form of a name is found by removing all articles ("a",
"an", and "the") from the name, then removing all characters except
letters and numbers, then converting all uppercase letters to
lowercase.  ["Bronze Torch" and "Bron, the Zet oRch" have the same
primitive form:  bronzetorch.]

If two names are found to match in conflict with the first paragraph
of this rule, the CSRR Officer shall change one or both of the names
in such a way as to fix the problem.  Any game document or business
that referred to such an entity by name shall be changed to indicate
the new name.

This Rule defers to other Rules on the matter of whether it is
permissible for a returning Player to choose, as eir Ackanomic name,
the same name as an Undead.
- ---

[Allow apostrophes in player and trinket names.  We have been allowing
this, contrary to the rules, for some time now.  Might as well
formalize it.]

3.  Rule 500.1 ("Entity Names") is amended in the following ways:

a. In the last line of the list of name characters, add an apostrophe
after the comma.

b. In the note at the end, change "single quotes, double quotes," to
just "double quotes,".

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Voting Digest V2 #5
************************************