Subject: Ackanomic Voting Digest V1 #529
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Voting Digest)
To: acka-voting-digest

Ackanomic Voting Digest    Saturday, March 1 1997    Volume 01 : Number 529

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 16:26:58 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1762

Proposal 1762
Cracking Down on Crime
Narf

This is a modest proposal

{{[well, it didn't take me too long to find the problems in my own proposal.
 Errors of an overly ambitious newbie.  This proposal will attempt to fix a
few of 'em] If this proposal is accepted, deduct a number of points from
Narf's score such that he has the same number of points he would have had if
this proposal had failed quorum}}

Ammend rule 724 as follows:
Add to the end of section 7 the following text, delineated by **

** The Godfather must publicly ack the bet in order for it to be a legitimate
bet.  Players may not bet on eir own actions. [this will prevent the
financier, who may not have a perfect knowledge of who is and who isn't a
member--from inadvertently crediting or debiting someone's account]**

Add section 9, with the following text delineated by &&

&&9. When the Godfather acks a bet, the amount wagered by the player and the
payoff should the player win the bet are deducted from the player's account
and Organized Crime's account, respectively, and are held in reserve by the
treasury.  When the issue is resolved, the treasury shall transfer the money
to the winner of the bet.  Money in the account of Organized Crime belongs
solely to Organized Crime and may not be transfered to any player by any
means other than a wager.  [combined with rule 8, this will prevent Organized
Crime from ever having to renig on a bet and also prevents the Godfather from
abusing the system] 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 17:18:20 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1766

Proposal 1766
Heavy Cannon
Mohammed

Rule 731, "Heavy Cannon", is created, reading:
- -----
A Heavy Cannon is an Organizational Power.  An Organization may buy a
Heavy Cannon for A$500.  An Organization that has a Heavy Cannon is
known as an Army.

[An Army can use its cannon to blast other Organizations to
smithereens.  This is generally taken as an act of war and is insanely
illegal.  It should probably be reserved for times when one cares
enough to send the very best.]

An Army may, as an action, fire their cannon, if the Army has at least
A$500.  In doing so the Army must specify at what other Organization
the cannon is/are being fired; it may also name a specific Building
owned by the targeted Organization or by one of its members, as long
as it isn't someone's home.

When an Army fires its cannon, A$500 is transferred from that Army to
the Treasury.  Then, there is a loud noise, like a thunderclap, and a
puff of smoke.  If a Building was named, that Building is obliterated
(unless it is defined by name in the rules, in which case it is only
hideously damaged).  The Organization at which the cannon fired is
immediately disbanded!  However: all trinkets and Gadgets owned by the
Army that fired the cannon, or by any of that Army's members, are
destroyed by the concussion.  [If you see the members of an Army start
to bury their most prized possessions, duck.]  Being a member of an
Army when it fires its cannon is a heinous Crime.
- -----

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 17:18:21 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1769

Proposal 1769
Powerballs
Mohammed

Rule 734, "Powerballs", is created, reading:
- -----
Powerballs are Organizational Powers.  An Organization may buy 13
Powerballs for A$ 13.  At the time of their creation, Powerballs are
stamped with the name of the Organization that bought them.  Should
the Organization later change its name, all Powerballs with the old
name stamped into them automatically change to show the new name.

A player or Organization who owns a Powerball may destroy it, as an
action.

A player or Organization who owns seven or more Powerballs stamped
with the name of an Organization may cause that Organization to
attempt any action.  It is a Crime to cause an Organization to commit
a Crime in this way.
- ---

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 17:18:21 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1768

Proposal 1768
Secret Laboratories
Mohammed

Rule 733, "Secret Laboratories", is created, reading:
- -----
A Secret Laboratory is an Organizational Power.  An Organization may
buy a Secret Laboratory for A$ 1000.

An Organization that has a Secret Laboratory may, as an action, build
a Gadget from any existing non-lonely Blueprint once per calendar
month.  This new Gadget is created in the Organization's possession.

[Secret Laboratories are said to be buried deep underground.]
- ---

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 17:18:20 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1767

Proposal 1767
Printing Presses
Mohammed

Rule 732, "Printing Presses", is created, reading:
- -----
An Organization may buy a Printing Press for A$200.

An Organization that has a Printing Press may, as an action, submit a
proposal.  If that proposal is then accepted, each player member of
the Organization gains 7 points.  No Processing Chips or Blue Cross
Rank are awarded on the acceptance of such a proposal.  This takes
precedence over Rule 935.

Any points normally awarded to the player who submits a proposal are
not awarded in the case of a proposal submitted by an Organization.
This Rule takes precedence over Rule 207.
- -----

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 17:18:19 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1764

Proposal 1764
Organization Reorganization
Mohammed

[Note:  The passage of this proposal is absolutely necessary in order
for any of the next four proposals to work properly.  Voting YES on
those, and NO on this, is self-defeating, although it could create an
interesting set of problems.]

1.  Rule 721/10 ("Organizations") is amended to read:
- ---
Organizations are unownable, named entities.

1.  Forming an Organization

Any Player may form a new Organization by announcing its name
publicly.  (Its name must be a legal name.)  When this happens, that
Player becomes the Founder of the new Organization and its only
member.  Organizations formed in this way are known as
Player-sanctioned Organizations.

Alternatively, an Organization may be created and defined by other
Rules.  Such Organizations are called Rule-sanctioned Organizations.
A Rule-sanctioned Organization does not necessarily have a Founder.

2.  Organization Disbandment

The rules may call for the disbandment of an Organization.  When an
Organization is disbanded, everything owned by the Organization is
transferred to the Treasury, and the Organization is then no more.

3.  Organization Size

The Size of an Organization is the number of members it has.  Terms
such as 'larger' and 'smallest', when applied to Organizations, refer
to the Sizes of the Organizations being compared.  [For example, to
say that one organization is larger than another is to say that it has
more members.]

The Active Size of an Organization is the number of Players who are
members of that Organization and are not on vacation.

4.  Organization Similarity

For any two Organizations X and Y, orgsim(X, Y) is defined as the
percentage of members of X who are also members of Y.

The H Similarity between two Organizations, A and B, is the greater of
orgsim(A, B) and orgsim(B, A).

The L Similarity between two Organizations, A and B, is the lesser of
orgsim(A, B) and orgsim(B, A).

The M Similarity between two Organizations, A and B, is the average of
orgsim(A, B) and orgsim(B, A).

5.  Player Liberty Clause

No player may become a member of an Organization without first
expressing their consent to joining it.  A player may leave an
Organization of which he or she is a member at any time.
- ---

2.  Rule 722 ("Political Parties") is hereby renumbered to 17.

3.  A new Rule is created, numbered 722, titled "Organizational
Action", and reading:
- ---
This Rule defers to all other rules.  [Not all Organizations
necessarily work this way.  Churches in particular have their own
unique internal structures.  The Rules may also define other ways
Organizations can act, and may define that certain Organizations are
unable to use this process under certain circumstances.]

An Organization can attempt actions.  However, the process for an
Organization to attempt an action is somewhat more complex than the
same process for players.  First, some member of the Organization
sends a public message suggesting an action for the Organization to
take.  The suggestion must include the name of the Organization for
which it is being suggested.  The other members of the Organization
may then approve of the suggestion or denounce it.  If any member
denounces the suggestion, it is voided.

If, after a suggestion is made, all members of the Organization
approve it within seven days, and no member denounces it, then the
Organization attempts the action as suggested.  The time of this
attempt is the time of the last approval.

If seven days pass after a suggestion is made, then the Organization
shall make the attempt, as suggested, if and only if no member of that
Organization denounced the suggestion, and at least two thirds of the
Organization's members approved it within the seven-day period.
- ---

4.  Rule 723 ("Rewarding Party Unity") is renumbered to 724.

5.  A new Rule is created, numbered 723, titled "Organizational
Powers", and reading:
- ---
This rule defers to all other rules.

Organizational Powers ("Powers" for short) are tradeable
entities.  All Organizations can own Powers.

Where the rules say that an Organization may buy a Power of a certain
type, what is meant is that the Organization may, as an action,
contribute an amount of currency to the Treasury in exchange for a new
Power of the type specified, which is then created in that
Organization's possession.
- ---

6.  Rule 724 ("Rewarding Party Unity") is amended to read:
- -----
{{ This Rule is renamed "Big Tents and Rewarding Party Unity". }}

A Big Tent is an Organizational Power.  They are usually quite large,
covering more than a kaa of land when fully erected, and are blazoned
with broad, colorful stripes.  An Organization may buy a Big Tent for
A$300.

An Organization that has a Big Tent is called a Political Party.  It
is a Crime to be a member of more than one Political Party at once.

At the end of a proposal's voting period, but before votes on that
proposal are counted, if every player member of a given Political
Party voted YES on that proposal, and no member of the Party is also a
member of some other Party, then the Political Party itself shall cast
an additional YES vote on that proposal for every three player members
it has.

Party membership and how players voted are determined based on the
facts in force at the end of the voting period for each proposal.
- -----

7.  Rule 17 ("Political Parties") is amended to read, in full:
- ---
{{
	The Organizations that were Political Parties just before the
	acceptance of the proposal that put this text in this rule are
	each awarded a Special Edition Grandfather Big Tent.  Each of
	these is a Big Tent as described in Rule 724.
}}
- ---

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 17:15:40 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1763

Proposal 1763
Organization Reorganization
Mohammed

[Note:  The passage of this proposal is absolutely necessary in order
for any of the next four proposals to work properly.  Voting YES on
those, and NO on this, is self-defeating, although it could create an
interesting set of problems.]

1.  Rule 721/10 ("Organizations") is amended to read:
- ---
Organizations are unownable, named entities.

1.  Forming an Organization

Any Player may form a new Organization by announcing its name
publicly.  (Its name must be a legal name.)  When this happens, that
Player becomes the Founder of the new Organization and its only
member.  Organizations formed in this way are known as
Player-sanctioned Organizations.

Alternatively, an Organization may be created and defined by other
Rules.  Such Organizations are called Rule-sanctioned Organizations.
A Rule-sanctioned Organization does not necessarily have a Founder.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 17:18:19 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1765

Proposal 1765
Trade Licenses
Mohammed

Rule 730, "Trade Licenses", is created, reading in full:
- -----
A Trade License is an Organizational Power.  An Organization may buy a
Trade License for A$50.

If an Organization has a Trade License, that Organization may offer,
accept, and retract trades on the Free Market, and give gifts.  The
procedure for each of these actions is the same as for players [see
Rule 515], except that where those procedures call for a public
message, any member of the Organization may send that message on
behalf of the Organization-- assuming the actions described therein
have already been approved as specified by Rule 722 or some other
Rule.
- -----

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 23:31:13 -0600
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Proposal 1770

Proposal 1770
Non-voting Swingers
/dev/joe

This is a modest proposal.

Amend Rule 726, "Party Hall", by adding this in section III, just before
section A:

"Non-voting players are eligible for all types of Swinger offices."

{{[Whoops, I knew I forgot something.  Niccolo Flychuck asked me about this,
becuase he knows someone who'd like to play party chess without getting
into the rest of Ackanomic.  I intended to do this but it got left out
somehow.]}}

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Voting Digest V1 #529
**************************************