Subject: acka-summary Digest V1 #4
From: [email-masked]
To: acka-summary digest users <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 00:00:14 -0400 (EDT)

acka-summary Digest	Monday, August 02 1999	Volume: 01  Issue: 004

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:Summary
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 19:08:53 -0400 (EDT)

	Still working backwords, the 13's, 14's and 15's.  Since the
summarizer has done nothing and isn't even subscribed to this list, I
intend to file an IP against him.  As soon as I get out of gaol. 
Others are free to do it instead.

Rule 13:

	To make a long story short, 13-1, 13-2, and 13-3 commemorate two
successful attempts and one unsuccessful attempt to take over
Ackanomic.  They make no important changes to the game.

Rule 14:

	Chemicals are nameless, ownable, operable entities.  All chemicals are
either Elements, Compounds, Mixtures, or Of Unknown Status.  Chemicals
are measured in nose-sacks.  Each player may ingest a chemical once per
week.  Unless a specific effect is listed for that chemical, the
effects are random and rarely beneficial (the full list is not included
here).

Rule 14-1:

	Ancientium is an element.  If a player posts Phoebe's wisdom with the
initial letters of successive sentences spelling out "ANCIENTIUMFORYOU"
then the player receives a nose-sack of Ancientium unless the wisdom is
found to be fake.

Rule 14-2:

	Cheesium is an element.  The only word in its word list is "transfer."
 A player may create a nose-sack of Cheesium in eir possession by
destroying a cheese e owns as a public action.

Rule 14-3:

	Illumantine is a metallic element.  Once a week a player may create a
nose-sack  by publicly declaring "It takes five people to make a
conspiracy."

Rule 14-4:

	Harfium is an element.  It has a word list with 4 phrases,
"Harfmeister," "harf," "harfy," and "Funky and Stylish."  A player may
create a nose-sack of Harfium in eir possession if they are the
Harfmeister or Funky and Stylish, but e loses the title when e does
so.

Rule 14-5:

	Cheesium DiHarfide is a compound consisting of one nose-sack of
Cheesium and two nose-sacks of Harfium.

	[Ed Note: I'm just dropping the bit about making a puzzle piece]

Rule 14-6:

	Mathium is an element.  An Evil Math Troll may create a nose-sack of
Mathium as a public action.  If e does so, e immediately stops being an
Evil Math Troll.  Ingesting Mathium causes a Bitten player to may
healed.

Rule 14-7:

	Fiendium is an element.  Any player who ingests Fiendium becomes an
Evil Math Troll.

Rule 14-8:

	Polictikafavroum is an element.  It has a word list with two words,
the name or its creater in normal and possessive forms.  Any player may
create a nose-sack of Polictikafavroum as a public action unless there
are already 10 sacks associated with that player.

Rule 14-9:

	Nihilipili is an element.  It has a word list consisting of one, to,
the, a, an, or, if, but, is, with, may, not, be, in, for, and of.  A
player may create any number of nose-sacks of Nihilipili as a public
action, all unused nose-sacks are destroyed at the end of the message
which created them.

Rule 14-10:

	Oxygium is an element.  It has a word list of "active."  Ni!trogium is
an element.  It has a word list of "on," "ice," and "icy."  Ingesting
these elements has no effect.

	All players breath Oxygium unless otherwise specified.  An Oxygium
breathing player may change into a Ni!trogium breather as a public
action if e has been On Ice for more than a month and has done so
since.  A Ni!trogium breather who posts a message without ingesting
Ni!trogium in it becomes an Oxygium breather.  A player may create a
nose-sack of whicherver of these elements e breats as a public action. 
A player who owns a nose-sack of either of these elements and does not
breath it then it is destroyed.

Rule 15:

	Any player may initiate a chemical reaction as a public action.  E
must specify what chemicals to use and the type of reaction.  Reactions
take three days to complete unless specified otherwise.

Rule 15-1:

	Polymerization is a type of reaction.  Only words with word lists
(monomers) may be polymerized.  The chemist should specify a single
word from the word list of each monomer, and must construct a sentence
(polymer).  If the polymer specifies an unambiguous action then it is
succesful and the operation is performed, otherwise it fails.

-- 

-Henry Towsner

	<<[email-masked]>

	Thank heavens, the sun has gone in, and I don't have to go out and
enjoy it.

		-Logan Pearsall Smith

------------------------------

From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:Summary
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 19:14:19 -0400 (EDT)

I know my thingie failed.  But at least in the summary, the elements should be
condensed into a list.

Else: remember, you can only post 3 public messages a day.

>
> Rule 14-1: 
>         Ancientium is an element.  If a player posts Phoebe's wisdom with
the 

...

>
> Rule 14-2: 
>         Cheesium is an element.  The only word in its word list is
"transfer."
> ...
> Rule 14-3: 
>         Illumantine is a metallic element.  Once a week a player may
create a
> ...
> Rule 14-4: 
>         Harfium is an element.  It has a word list with 4 phrases,

...
etc etc

-- Emperor Ai! Pedrito!
 DeeJay * Dungeon Master * Herald * Rule-Harfer
 Crazy French-Scotsman * Harfmeister * Student * Wrangler and Belt-Holder

------------------------------

From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: More Summary
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 21:37:18 -0400 (EDT)

	I want this *done*.  Some more sections, getting into the meat of the
rules a little.

A new thing, the big chart.  K, I know you did some things, but I don't
recall what.  Could you add them to this?

1-?

2-?

3-?

4-?

5-?

6-?

7-Volunteered (else...if)

8-?

9-?

10-?

12-Done (else...if)

14-Done (else...if)

15-Done (else...if)

16-Done (else...if)

17-Done (else...if)

42-?

99-Done (else...if)

Rule 12-1:

	Ackanomic has subgames known as Games & Contests.  The descendants of
rule 12-3 define the rules for those games, as well as general
equipment for use in multiple games.  A player may create a Game or
General Equipment Submission as a public action.  It must comply with
all the conditions in section III of rule 12-1.  The Speaker or
President may veto the Submission.  If at least 4 Active Players
besides the submitter and at least 10% of all active players publicly
endorse the Submission within a week, it is approved.  An approved
Submission is accepted, and becomes a new child of rule 12-3, as soon
as at least three days have passed since it was submitted.

	Many of the conditions in this paragraph may be overriden may specific
games.  A game is started by its referee.  A player may not join a game
in progress (many games override this).  A player who goes absent may
name another Ackan to Substiture for them with that players approval. 
The Speaker may ask referees who have been silent for a week if they
want to continue being a referee; if the player says no or does not
respond for three days then the game is paused until the Speaker
appoints a new player as referee.  The referee may appoint another
willing player as a substitute if e goes absent, as may the Speaker.  A
player who leaves Ackanomic forfeits all games e is in.

	No player may be forced to take part in, continue to take part in, or
referee any game.  In the event of a dispute which the referee is
unable to resolve, the Speaker shall decide.  A player may call a CFJ,
however this is frowned on.  A game is paused while the dispute is
decided.  Please don't try to find scams in the games; they're just for
fun.  Any player or referee of a game may declare it moribund publicly.
 The game ends unless a third of its players publicly object within
three days.  Referees may give FairPlay awards once per weak to a
player in a game they are refereeing; that player also gains 1 point. 
Games may be played on IRC if the game says it may be played in a
Public Dorum, the players consent, and a referee logs the game.

Rule 12-2:

	Trophies are non-tradeable.  They are awarded to players who win games
with at least three players.  The Trophy given is specified by the
game's rules.

Rule 12-3:

	This rule lists such things as a random number generator; word, movie,
and music databases; and legal IRC servers.  The rules for the games
themselves are descendants of this rule.

Rule 12-4:

	This rule and its descendants define decks of cards.

Rule 12-6:

	The Machine That Goes *ping* is a unique entity.  It exists only in
the home of an active player, who is known as the Scholar.  When a
player becomes the Scholar they post a puzzle of the form "IF AND ONLY
IF today {if clause}, THEN the Machine That Goes *ping* shall go
*ping*." where {if clause} has words but each letter is replaced by an
asterix.  Starting the next day, the Scholar posts message announcing
the *ping* everytime the condition would cause it to *ping*.  Players
may guess at the puzzle; correct guesses win a Boon of the Ancients,
incorrect guesses cost A$10.  A player may only guess once on each
puzzle.  Every six pings players may bid on a magic letter; the minimum
bids are A$25 for a,e,i, or o, A$15 for d,l,n,r,s, and t, and A$5 for
any other letter.  The bidding lasts for 12 hours.  The Scholar then
reveals all places where that letter appears in the puzzle.

Rule 12-7:

	Grab a Donkey, or GAD is an Ackanomic game.  When it begins one player
is the Wrangler and all others are players of GAD.  Each player gets
one donkey to start with.  Each round every player should notify the
Wrangler of eir move.  Legal moves are grabbing another player's
donkey, distracting another player, covering eir own donkey, standing,
or, on the first round, resigning.  After three days or once everyone
has sent in eir move, the Wrangler announces results for the round.  If
one player, A, grabbed another player, B's, donkey and no other players
grabbed that donkey, and either B did not cover the donkey or B was
distracted, then A gets the donkey.  If B has more than one donkey and
one is grabbed then a second gets scared away.  Players who have
exactly two donkeys ket a third.  A player who is out of donkeys is
removed from the game.  If all but one player covers eir donkey then
that player wins.  If there are no players the game ends.  If there is
one player that player wins.  If there are two palyers they play rock,
paper, sicissors to determine the winner.  When a player wins e becomes
the Wrangler and may make a proposal to change the rules of GAD.

Rule 12-8:

	This rule and its descendants define PartyChess.  PartyChess is a
hugely complicated game which is not being played nor likely to be
played in the near future.

Rule 12-9:

	Players may bury Tradeable entities they own as Treasure.  They must
write a map which describes how the Treasure is to be found.  They may
reveal as little or as much of the map as they want.  The player
responsible for announcing when a Treasure has been found is known as
the Custodian for that Treasure; initially it is the player who buried
the Treasure.  A player may find eir own map, but receives a Yellow
Goose Card for doing so.  Any other player who becomes Custodian may
not find that Treasure.  A player who leaves the game or goes on
vacation may make the Treasure-Harfer the Custodian for that map, or 
name another willing player; both of this are discouraged.  Within
three days of a Treasure being found a player may call a Hearing on it
if e believes that the Treasure was not in keeping with the spirit of
the game.  If the result is negative then the player who called it pays
the SHF to the map writer, otherwise all entities in the treasure
become unowned and the map writer pays the SHF to the player who called
the Hearing.

12-10:

	Players may challenge other players to a duel.  They do so by finding
a second, who announces the challenge.  Then the challenged player has
three days to find a second who accepts (or forfeits) the duel publicly
on the challenged's behalf and announces whether the challenged will
choose Rows or Columns.  Otherwise the challenged player forfeits the
duel.  Each duelist has three days to select a row or column as
appropriate from the Games Grid and submit it to the Herald (or the
challenged's second if the Herald is dueling).  The Grid is:

		Simultaneous	Turn-Based	Harfy

Strategy	Viruses		Tromino Go	Abstract Crescent

Art		Bacon		YORL		Role Playing

Word Games	Double Crash	Ghost		Limericks

	If no player volunteers to referee within one week, the Herald (or the
challenged's second if the Herald is dueling) referees.  The winner of
a duel gets 6 points, the loser loses 6; their seconds get and lose 3
points respectively.  Players who pledged to do certain actions if they
won/lost the duel must perform those actions if appropriate.  Certain
players may not be challenged (such as those already in a duel) and
duel may be ended under certain conditions.

Rule 12-11:

	It is a crime to intentionally interfere with a game, such as by
providing information which makes a game unplayable.

-- 

-Henry Towsner

	<<[email-masked]>

	Thank heavens, the sun has gone in, and I don't have to go out and
enjoy it.

		-Logan Pearsall Smith

------------------------------

End of acka-summary Digest V1 #4
********************************