Subject: acka-summary Digest V1 #3
From: [email-masked]
To: acka-summary digest users <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 00:00:13 -0400 (EDT)

acka-summary Digest	Friday, July 30 1999	Volume: 01  Issue: 003

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Summaries
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 17:33:19 -0400 (EDT)

Since nothing much is happening, I've taken the liberty of summarizing the
16's, 17's and 99's:

Rule 16
	Institutions are named, unownable, Trading, Intelligent entities.
	Any player not in the process of founding an institution may begin
to do so as a public action.  If two other players publicly say that they
want to join then the first player may found the institution.  E must name
the institution, the initial players and pay the SHF.  E may also purchase
institutional powers at this time, but must pay the specified cost for them
too.  Insitutions may own A$ and Trinkets.

Rule 16-1
	Spherical Rators are institutional powers which must be purchased
at the initial creation of the institution.  A Spherical Rator is glowing
(active) as long as the owning institution has at least three players, in
which case the institution is a Sphere of Influence.  Spheres of Influence
may be subcommittees on proposals.  It is a crime to be a member of more
than one Sphere of Influence.  If an Institution owns a Spherical Rator and
another institutional power, the Rator is destroyed.

Rule 16-2
	A Printing Press is an institutional power which costs four times
the SHF.  An Institution which owns a Printing Press is a Newspaper.  A
member of a Newspaper may print articles on behalf of their newspaper.
Each month, Newspapers which printed at least one article of greater than
300 words receives A$10.  A player need not belong to a Newspaper to print
articles; in this case they are known as Samzidat publications.  It is a
crime for an author not to retract a false statement made in an article.

Rule 16-3
	Players who are not Party Chess Swingers may back Swingers.  They
must receive approval from the Swinger and more than half of that Swinger's
other backers.  The player then ceases to back any other Swingers.  The
backers of a Swinger, by public majority agreement, may order a payment in
A$.  One week after a payment is ordered, all backers of that Swinger pay
it to the associated coalition automatically (the stop being a backer if
they cannot afford the payment.  By the same process, backers may transfer
the Swingership to another player when it is warm (unfilled) or change the
Swinger's salary.  Each Swingership has an associated Coalition, an
unownable named entity.  The Coalition buys PartyChessPieces for the
Swinger at the Swinger's request.

Rule 17
	The Ambassador is a political officer who represents Ackanomic in
the InterNomic Treaty Organization (INTO).  The Ambassador receives an
extra vote for each degree in Inter-Nomic relations e posesses.  Any player
may call a hearing to sign a treaty Ackanomic has not signed, or to unsign
one it has.  Terms which refer to treaties or the INTO rules are followed
by <n>, where n is the number of the treaty, or zero for the INTO rules.
So for instance in this rule all occurances of sign are written "sign<0>"
to make it clear that the term uses the definition given in the INTO rules.
When the INTO Archivist is a member of Ackanomic, e receives the SHF as a
salary.

Rule 17-1
	The rest of this rule is the INTO rule-set (only a summarized
version included here):
	Rule 1: The Archivist is responsible for tracking InterNomic Treaties.
	Rule 2: The Archivist may change the mailing list be publicly
announcing the new list.
	Rule 3: A notification is public if it is sent to everyone
subscribed to the mailing list.
	Rule 4: Each Nomic gets one delegate to INTO, which may be changed
by public notice.  The Archivist is authorized to inspect the gamestate of
a Nomic to determine the identity of the delegate when neccessary.
	Rule 5: If someone claims that there is no Archivist, and the
Archivist does not disagree for one week, then the nomination process
begins (by public notification).  After one week voting begins (each
delegate gets one vote).  After two weeks voting closes.
	Rule 6: Anyone may propose a treaty by public notice.  If three
people, including one delegate, endorse it within two weeks, it becoms an
INTO Treaty.
	Rule 7: The Archivist tracks Treaties.
	Rule 8: Delegates may sign and unsign treaties as long as they meet
any requirements set by the treaty.  The Archivist tracks signatories of
all treaties.
	Rule 9: Enforcement of each treaty is left to the treaty.

Rule 17-2
	Ackanomic may declare war on another nomic by making a law saying
so.  Players of Ackanomic who are also players of a nomic Acka is at war
with are put in gaol until the war ends or the President pardons em.

Rule 17-2-1
	Ackanomic is at war with Agora.

Rule 99
	This is where new rules which aren't given a number go.  The
rule-harfer may put them where e likes.

Rule 99-1
	Evil Math Trolls may bite players in the same location.  After
three days a bitten player loses 10 points and becomes an Evil Math Troll.
If an Evil Math Troll bites anyone, e is immediately placed in gaol for a
day.  Only Evil Math Trolls may hide under a bridge crossing the Ackanomic
River.

Rule 99-2
	The Botanical Gardens are next to the gaol and overlook the river.
Ackanomics Shrubbery (Observers) are located there.

--
-Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Thank heavens, the sun has gone in, and I don't have to go out and
enjoy it.
		-Logan Pearsall Smith

------------------------------

From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Summaries
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 18:04:24 -0400 (EDT)

At 05:33 PM 7/30/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Since nothing much is happening, I've taken the liberty of summarizing the
>16's, 17's and 99's:

I think that these defeat the purpose of the summary.  They are almost as
long as the originals.  If you want to do something, you would look it up
for yourself.  For example, for rule 16, I would say instead:

Any player may found an institution if he has two other members for it.

>Rule 16
>	Institutions are named, unownable, Trading, Intelligent entities.
>	Any player not in the process of founding an institution may begin
>to do so as a public action.  If two other players publicly say that they
>want to join then the first player may found the institution.  E must name
>the institution, the initial players and pay the SHF.  E may also purchase
>institutional powers at this time, but must pay the specified cost for them
>too.  Insitutions may own A$ and Trinkets.
>
This one could just be:
17-1: The rest of this rule is the INTO rule-set.

>
>Rule 17-1
>	The rest of this rule is the INTO rule-set (only a summarized
>version included here):
>	Rule 1: The Archivist is responsible for tracking InterNomic Treaties.
>	Rule 2: The Archivist may change the mailing list be publicly
>announcing the new list.
>	Rule 3: A notification is public if it is sent to everyone
>subscribed to the mailing list.
>	Rule 4: Each Nomic gets one delegate to INTO, which may be changed
>by public notice.  The Archivist is authorized to inspect the gamestate of
>a Nomic to determine the identity of the delegate when neccessary.
>	Rule 5: If someone claims that there is no Archivist, and the
>Archivist does not disagree for one week, then the nomination process
>begins (by public notification).  After one week voting begins (each
>delegate gets one vote).  After two weeks voting closes.
>	Rule 6: Anyone may propose a treaty by public notice.  If three
>people, including one delegate, endorse it within two weeks, it becoms an
>INTO Treaty.
>	Rule 7: The Archivist tracks Treaties.
>	Rule 8: Delegates may sign and unsign treaties as long as they meet
>any requirements set by the treaty.  The Archivist tracks signatories of
>all treaties.
>	Rule 9: Enforcement of each treaty is left to the treaty.

This one includes useless details.  There is NO bridge.  The last sentence
could be stripped SO easily.

>Rule 99-1
>	Evil Math Trolls may bite players in the same location.  After
>three days a bitten player loses 10 points and becomes an Evil Math Troll.
>If an Evil Math Troll bites anyone, e is immediately placed in gaol for a
>day.  Only Evil Math Trolls may hide under a bridge crossing the Ackanomic
>River.

These are only examples.

I don't mean to denigrate your effort - these are just my thoughts.  I'm
grateful that we have some people working on this.

-- Emperor Ai! Pedrito!
 DeeJay * Dungeon Master * Herald * Rule-Harfer
 Crazy French-Scotsman * Harfmeister * Student * Wrangler and Belt-Holder

------------------------------

From: Henry Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Summaries
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 18:12:46 -0400 (EDT)

Revised, with consideration of EAP's suggestions.  I've tried to trim them
all except for 17-1, which I think should remain as a summary of the INTO
rules.

Rule 16
	Institutions are named, unownable, Trading, Intelligent entities.
	Any player, with the public support of two others, may found an
Institution.  E must name the institution, the initial players and pay the
SHF.  E may also purchase institutional powers at this time, but must pay
the specified cost for them too.  Insitutions may own A$ and Trinkets.

Rule 16-1
	Spherical Rators are institutional powers which must be purchased
at the initial creation of the institution.  A Spherical Rator is glowing
(active) as long as the owning institution has at least three players, in
which case the institution is a Sphere of Influence.  Spheres of Influence
may be subcommittees on proposals.  It is a crime to be a member of more
than one Sphere of Influence.  If an Institution owns a Spherical Rator and
another institutional power, the Rator is destroyed.

Rule 16-2
	A Printing Press is an institutional power which costs four times
the SHF.  An Institution which owns a Printing Press is a Newspaper.  A
member of a Newspaper may print articles on behalf of their newspaper.
Each month, Newspapers which printed at least one article of greater than
300 words receives A$10.  A player need not belong to a Newspaper to print
articles; in this case they are known as Samzidat publications.  It is a
crime for an author not to retract a false statement made in an article.

Rule 16-3
	Players who are not Party Chess Swingers may back Swingers.  They
must receive approval from the Swinger and more than half of that Swinger's
other backers.  The player then ceases to back any other Swingers.  The
backers of a Swinger may order a payment in A$ from each backer to the
associated coalition.  Backers may transfer the Swingership to another
player when it is warm (unfilled) or change the Swinger's salary.  Each
Swingership has an associated Coalition, an unownable named entity.  The
Coalition buys PartyChessPieces for the Swinger at the Swinger's request.

Rule 17
	The Ambassador is a political officer who represents Ackanomic in
the InterNomic Treaty Organization (INTO).  Any player may call a hearing
to sign a treaty Ackanomic has not signed, or to unsign one it has.  When
the INTO Archivist is a member of Ackanomic, e receives the SHF as a salary.

Rule 17-1
	The rest of this rule is the INTO rule-set (only a summarized
version included here):
	Rule 1: The Archivist is responsible for tracking InterNomic Treaties.
	Rule 2: The Archivist may change the mailing list be publicly
announcing the new list.
	Rule 3: A notification is public if it is sent to everyone
subscribed to the mailing list.
	Rule 4: Each Nomic gets one delegate to INTO, which may be changed
by public notice.  The Archivist is authorized to inspect the gamestate of
a Nomic to determine the identity of the delegate when neccessary.
	Rule 5: If someone claims that there is no Archivist, and the
Archivist does not disagree for one week, then the nomination process
begins (by public notification).  After one week voting begins (each
delegate gets one vote).  After two weeks voting closes.
	Rule 6: Anyone may propose a treaty by public notice.  If three
people, including one delegate, endorse it within two weeks, it becoms an
INTO Treaty.
	Rule 7: The Archivist tracks Treaties.
	Rule 8: Delegates may sign and unsign treaties as long as they meet
any requirements set by the treaty.  The Archivist tracks signatories of
all treaties.
	Rule 9: Enforcement of each treaty is left to the treaty.

Rule 17-2
	Ackanomic may declare war on another nomic by making a law saying
so.  Players of Ackanomic who are also players of a nomic Acka is at war
with are put in gaol until the war ends or the President pardons em.

Rule 17-2-1
	Ackanomic is at war with Agora.

Rule 99
	This is where new rules which aren't given a number go.  The
rule-harfer may put them where e likes.

Rule 99-1
	Evil Math Trolls may bite players in the same location.  After
three days a bitten player loses 10 points and becomes an Evil Math Troll.
If an Evil Math Troll bites anyone, e is immediately placed in gaol for a
day.

Rule 99-2
	The Botanical Gardens are next to the gaol and overlook the river.
Ackanomics Shrubbery (Observers) are located there.

--
-Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Thank heavens, the sun has gone in, and I don't have to go out and
enjoy it.
		-Logan Pearsall Smith

------------------------------

End of acka-summary Digest V1 #3
********************************