Subject: acka-research Digest V4 #140
From: [email-masked]
To: acka-research digest users <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 00:00:04 -0400 (EDT)

acka-research Digest	Thursday, August 05 1999	Volume: 04  Issue: 140

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: Proposal 4296
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 10:48:46 -0400 (EDT)

From P4296:

>	Remove all sentences from the following rules containing the word
>"suite": 4-8, 4-11, 6-4-11-1, and 12-8.

I should like to observe for the record that that action is not at all
the same as "Remove all sentences containing the word 'suite' from rules
4-8, 4-11, 6-4-11-1, and 12-8."  As I would not like to see those rules
completely gutted of their text, I think it reasonable to urge all Ackans
to vote NO on P4296.

ThinMan

------------------------------

From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re:  Acka: Proposal 4296
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 11:27:26 -0400 (EDT)

#retract 4296
#end

>>	Remove all sentences from the following rules containing the word
>>"suite": 4-8, 4-11, 6-4-11-1, and 12-8.
>
>I should like to observe for the record that that action is not at all
>the same as "Remove all sentences containing the word 'suite' from rules
>4-8, 4-11, 6-4-11-1, and 12-8."  As I would not like to see those rules
>completely gutted of their text, I think it reasonable to urge all Ackans
>to vote NO on P4296.
	Picky, picky.  I'll resubmit when I have the chance.

------------------------------

From: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 4296
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 13:12:59 -0400 (EDT)

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> #retract 4296
> #end
> 
> >>      Remove all sentences from the following rules containing the word
> >>"suite": 4-8, 4-11, 6-4-11-1, and 12-8.
> >
> >I should like to observe for the record that that action is not at all
> >the same as "Remove all sentences containing the word 'suite' from rules
> >4-8, 4-11, 6-4-11-1, and 12-8."  As I would not like to see those rules
> >completely gutted of their text, I think it reasonable to urge all Ackans
> >to vote NO on P4296.
>         Picky, picky.  I'll resubmit when I have the chance.

While you're at it, I don't much care for the wording "Move rule 2 to
rule 20." and what have you. I think it would be better if you actually
said renumber, as it is less ambiguous. Not enough to warrant a
retraction on its own but since you've already done so...

Pregnant Hippo

-- 
Tom "I am not a walrus" Walmsley. mailto:[email-masked]
http://website.lineone.net/~t.walmsley/index.html ICQ: 2925739
"Among wizards?" said Ridcully. "Mister Stibbons, unusual behaviour is
perfectly ordinary for wizards." - Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent

------------------------------

From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 4296
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 13:33:54 -0400 (EDT)

>While you're at it, I don't much care for the wording "Move rule 2 to
>rule 20." and what have you. I think it would be better if you actually
>said renumber, as it is less ambiguous. Not enough to warrant a
>retraction on its own but since you've already done so...
	I've phrased it like that because I believe that the rule which defines
rune numbers (2-3 I think) uses the term move instead of renumber, and it
would cause a mess if someone decided that while moving a rule moves its
children, renumbering does not.

------------------------------

From: Eric Plumb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 4297
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 20:36:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999 [email-masked] wrote:

> Proposal 4297
> An Alternative to Tyranny
> Eggplant Tempura
> Due: Thu Aug 12 01:53:46 1999
> Sphere: Tocpe

Just my daily complaint: is there any way that the default Sphere for the
ackabot can be set to the Sphere of which the submitter is a member?  I
know I should remember to include these things in my submissions, but
automation is so convenient . . . and I'm so lazy . . . 

This is addressed to /dev/joe as a feasibility question, and to the rest
of Acka as a RFC: am I the only spoiled brat around, or would others like
such a feature available?

-E. T., who was going to try and pretend e did that on purpose

I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met. 

------------------------------

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 4297
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 20:42:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Eric Plumb wrote:
> am I the only spoiled brat around...?

Ummm.... no comment :)

--JT

-- 
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 4297
From: Joseph DeVincentis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 20:56:29 -0400 (EDT)

Eric Plumb wrote:
> Just my daily complaint: is there any way that the default Sphere for the
> ackabot can be set to the Sphere of which the submitter is a member?  I
> know I should remember to include these things in my submissions, but
> automation is so convenient . . . and I'm so lazy . . . 
> 
> This is addressed to /dev/joe as a feasibility question, and to the rest
> of Acka as a RFC: am I the only spoiled brat around, or would others like
> such a feature available?

Yeah, it's possible for me to do so (defaulting to a random sphere if
the submitter is not in a sphere).  It's also possible for me to send
all sphereless props from members of acka to ackna and vice versa, props
containing silly words to hypno, and short props containing mostly short
paragraphs (i.e., probably bug fixes) to wow, ensuring everybody learns
to specify spheres on their props. :-)

I'll watch public opinion before I take any steps in this area, though.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

From: Eric Plumb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 4297
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 21:01:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Joseph DeVincentis wrote:

> Yeah, it's possible for me to do so (defaulting to a random sphere if
> the submitter is not in a sphere).  It's also possible for me to send
> all sphereless props from members of acka to ackna and vice versa, props
> containing silly words to hypno, and short props containing mostly short
> paragraphs (i.e., probably bug fixes) to wow, ensuring everybody learns
> to specify spheres on their props. :-)
> 
> I'll watch public opinion before I take any steps in this area, though.

For what it's worth, I really like that last idea: all bug fixes fail
unless they contain a silly word or someone calls them "game-breaking..."
So that's my public opinion. :-)
 
-Hubert

Christmas has been cancelled--Joseph confessed. 

------------------------------

End of acka-research Digest V4 #140
***********************************