Subject: acka-research Digest V4 #120
From: [email-masked]
To: acka-research digest users <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 00:00:03 -0400 (EDT)

acka-research Digest	Thursday, July 15 1999	Volume: 04  Issue: 120

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:55:39 +1000
From: K 2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 4237 rejected

[email-masked] wrote:

> Proposal 4237
>   Dragon Mage          -180    -80  ==> 3181

EA!P! just pointed out to me that, had this proposal passed (not that it was
intended to) the author of the next proposal to pass would've won (assuming
they bothered to vote :-)

K 2

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:56:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Test] Acka: Proposal 4247

Sorry about the bogus [Test] in the headers for the last little while.
I fixed one bug in something and broke something else.  It's all fixed
now.

--JT

-- 
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 23:59:58 +0100
From: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Test] Acka: Proposal 4247

JT wrote:
> 
> Sorry about the bogus [Test] in the headers for the last little while.
> I fixed one bug in something and broke something else.  It's all fixed
> now.

I got a couple of digests in addition to the normal mail. Is this part
of the same bug or something different?

-- 
Tom "I am not a walrus" Walmsley. mailto:[email-masked]
http://website.lineone.net/~t.walmsley/index.html ICQ: 2925739
"Among wizards?" said Ridcully. "Mister Stibbons, unusual behaviour is
perfectly ordinary for wizards." - Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:16:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Test] Acka: Proposal 4247

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Tom Walmsley wrote:
> JT wrote:
> > 
> > Sorry about the bogus [Test] in the headers for the last little while.
> > I fixed one bug in something and broke something else.  It's all fixed
> > now.
> 
> I got a couple of digests in addition to the normal mail. Is this part
> of the same bug or something different?

It could be part of the same bug (and likely was).

TECHNICAL EXPLANATION FOLLOWS, ignore if you don't give one whit about how
listar works ;)

Basically listar uses a cookie system to control administrative functions.
I noticed the other day that listar was expiring cookies at the end of a
run which meant that on a list with no traffic for 4 days, a cookie tht
was supposed to expire after 1 day would still be good.   The fix to this
was to move the cookie expiration to the front of the execution.

Now, in order to allow cookie expiration times to be set on a per-list
basis, epire cookies reads the config file for each list as it does the
expiration.

There is a test list I use for checking out new features called 'test'.
Since it's name is alphabetically greater than any of the normal lists
it was the last config file read during the expire_cookies pass.

I then forgot to clean out the variable cache so any variable that was set
by test which didn't get reset or overridden by the REAL list got used.
Since I don't set the list subject line on the acka lists, and since I set
the digest-max-size in the global config (since it's the same for all
lists), the values for the test list got used intead.

Hope this explanation shows how much of an idiot I can sometimes be :)

--JT

-- 
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

End of acka-research Digest V4 #120
***********************************