Subject: acka-research Digest V4 #96
From: [email-masked]
To: acka-research digest users <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 00:00 EDT

acka-research Digest	Tuesday, June 08 1999	Volume: 04  Issue: 096

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: K 2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RFC: non-elder (Fortunato)
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 10:42:53 -0400 (EDT)

This seems a bit stiff; Both Trent and Fortunato have missed out on eldership
after gaining substantial support, although in-between Alfvaen did receive
eldership. Currently eldership requires that a threshold be reached wrt the
number of active players (ie half of the voting AND non-voting players).
Perhaps this should be scaled back to a number equal to 50% of all voting
players and 20% of non-voting. Or just 60% of voting players..... comments
anyone?

K 2

Gavin Logan wrote:

> The confirmation period for elder is over. Fortunato received 10
> confirmation points out of a required 14. The fickle players of Acka have
> decided not to grant him elder status.
>
> King Felix
> (Speaker)

------------------------------

From: K 2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Null Proposals
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 10:43:02 -0400 (EDT)

I wonder if anyone can help me out on the null proposal front - I've
lost track have their been any since ~4100 ?

K 2

------------------------------

From: K 2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: K 2's Treasures
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 10:43:04 -0400 (EDT)

If you believe you've found one of my treasures pls tell me (and include
the reason - I'm watching you Slakko), I don't think any of them require
you to but some of them do require actions are rather obscure or diffuse
so I might not notice....

----------
Treasure 208a
Contents: Second Prize worth A$73.

This treasure will be found by the player to aid in the disqualification
of the most players from T200. As far as I am aware the following
players are still eligible for T200:

*Danek [[email-masked]]
*Euphrates [[email-masked]]
*Robin Hood [[email-masked]]
*r-attila the farce [[email-masked]]

{See http://www.ackanomic.org/~k2/Treasure/ackabtb5.htm for details on
how this happened}

Disqualifying any of these players will result in 'bonus points'. In the
past /dev/joe and Studge were also bonus points targets. The top of the
points ladder is as follows:

Hubert     (Hu)(Go)(Ho)(JJ)(OOA)(Su)* 7
TGW        (TGW)(**)(Kox)(TM)         4
rufus      (Ru)(AtP)(dv)*             4
Alfvaen    (V)(Hu)(RS)                3
Guy Fawkes (GF)(Re)(K2)               3
K 2        (JM)(Mal)                  2

The bracketed letters refer to the 'scalps' taken by the player - be
warned in the case of certain players they are very out of date {glares
at M-What-Should-I-Name-Myself-This-Week}.
----------
Treasure 211
Contains: Established Riches worth A$73.

Something belonging to a class of things called an "Organisation" must
perform a set of actions.

----------
Treasure 217
Contains: N-2,bromoacetyl, N-acetyl amine worth A$ 30.

N-2,bromoacetyl, N-acetyl, acetyl amine

The trinket name was supposed to be a clue to reinforce the other clue
given in the burial message, due to its brevity and and a mistake on my
part its more of a red herring than anything else. For the record the
name should've been: N-2,2-bromoacetyl, N-acetyl, acetyl diamine. There
is a reason I used acetyl instead of methyl. Writing the chemical
structure out (if I've managed to name it correctly :-) and replacing
the "structural units" with letters might land you with the rather weak
clue... The second one was better anyway :-)

The treasure was buried in a message which started by quoting a
discussion between Alfvaen and TGW (now Laa Laa) regarding P3126. Was
this just sloppiness or was there a clue in the quote somewhere?

Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3126

Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> > Proposal 3126
> > dull name
> > The Gingham Wearer (Tom Walmsley)
>
> > This is a modest proposal.
>
> > Repeal rules 921 and 923 (acid rain dance and amber banana). [I can
only
> > recall this ever being used once.]
>
> That's not my fault!  None of the recent 28-sum-digits Proposal
authors
> have exercised their Acid Rain Dance privileges(though I don't believe

> anything prohibits them from doing so as many times as they want to,
or
> whenever they want to--heck, as author of P1999 I could probably do it

> once I no longer have the Tree).  And people amended it to make it
easier,
> too!  And nobody's ever eaten an Amber Banana on me, either!
>
> So okay, maybe it should go, but somebody should at least try it
first.

----------
Treasure 225
Contains: Evil

The Treasure is Evil, the map is evil, this clue is evil....

----------
Treasure 240 & 250
Contains: Eir Emerald Curry worth A$ 54.

This Treasure was actually destroyed by P3915 but the clue is relevant
for T250, since I did my usual
Stuff-Up-The-Trinket-Creation-And-Bury-It-As-A-Second-Treasure-Trick :-)

The trinket name is a clue - although a very indirect one which will
prolly be of no use until you've practically found the treasure.
Comparing the trinket name with player names may help, thought it will
prolly leave you Mixed up and Confused.

The delimiters in proposals authored by me in the roughly in the range
3959-3696 should help - they were supposed to be a rough howto on
decoding the main clue.

Some random facts which may be of help:

When a trinket is harfed by the trinket harfer it is assigned a number -
a list of the first 256 of these are at:
http://www.ackanomic.org/~k2/treasure/trinkets.txt.

Every so often in the main clue a trinket is referenced, in fact in each
group of n words there is one trinket reference....

There were a few typo's in the main clue. The "clue" (term used very
loosely :-) published in /dev/joe's Ack was intended to provide an
erratum as well as some help. Picking out the Erratum should be fairly
easy but extracting the help (in the final paragraph) is somewhat harder
- I was experimenting with cryptic crossword clues at the time and got
carried way (ie Were words like jumbled indicate an anagram and Gold
refers to the number of years in that type of wedding anniversary).
Since word position within each paragraph is important I decided to
provided the erratum in this way to make that fact slightly less
obvious.

----------
Treasure 248
Contains: Chaotic Time Soak worth A$50

Read the trinket's description. It tells you how to find out what to do.
Meanwhile the dates and the comment made while burying the treasure tell
you what it is you have to do.

As for the dates: Forget Time - Think Place.

----------
Treasure 257
Contains: Perpetual Trophy worth A$77

With the demise of contracts putting your name to a non-entity will
initiate the process. From memory the most progressed players have two
steps remaining - which prolly tells you something about the degree of
difficult in that step, the ones leading up to it are trivial, however.

----------
Treasure 272
Contains: Flashback worth A$50

For once the trinket forms no part of the clue :-)

The aim is to guess the date on the old PE page
(www.acaknomic.org/~k2/finance/pe.htm). This is just a Colder Warmer
thing - I'm surprise no ones tried it yet....

----------
Treasure 276
Contains: Doctorate of Philosophy in Proposal Origami worth A$100

Frankenstein's Proposal - add a sentence, win a prize, create a monster,
take over the world.

------------------------------

From: K 2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Just for fun?
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 10:55:27 -0400 (EDT)

Duncan Richer wrote:

> Put me down on that list.

Anyone can join :-) you just can submit the prop until you've added two
sentences (ie after twoweeks)

> --------The Proposal Exists Bellow this line------------
>
> The Plastic Spatula is a type of Motorized Shovel.  All attempts to dig
> with the Plastic Spatula fail unless this rule explicitly describes why
> they succeed.

------------------------------

From: K 2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: K 2's Treasures
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 11:00:53 -0400 (EDT)

> ----------
> Treasure 272
> Contains: Flashback worth A$50
>
> For once the trinket forms no part of the clue :-)
>
> The aim is to guess the date on the old PE page
> (www.acaknomic.org/~k2/finance/pe.htm). This is just a Colder Warmer
> thing - I'm surprise no ones tried it yet....

TT Ren. pointed out that this link is dead.... the page is now at
http://www.acaknomic.org/~k2/treasure/pe.htm

K 2

------------------------------

From: "Gavin Logan" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: non-elder (Fortunato)
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 15:44:10 -0400 (EDT)

>This seems a bit stiff; Both Trent and Fortunato have missed out on
eldership
>after gaining substantial support, although in-between Alfvaen did receive
>eldership. Currently eldership requires that a threshold be reached wrt the
>number of active players (ie half of the voting AND non-voting players).
>Perhaps this should be scaled back to a number equal to 50% of all voting
>players and 20% of non-voting. Or just 60% of voting players..... comments
>anyone?
>
>K 2
>

Although I don't mind anyone getting elder status, it's a pretty useless
title after all, I don't think it should be an easy thing to get. If any
player who has been in Ackanomic for a while becomes an elder when they
leave, it loses some of the awe and mystery.

King Felix

------------------------------

From: "Gavin Logan" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Null Proposals
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 15:44:11 -0400 (EDT)

>I wonder if anyone can help me out on the null proposal front - I've
>lost track have their been any since ~4100 ?
>
>K 2
>

Proposal 4168 has been the only one as far as I can see.

King Felix
(is really starting to scare me)

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: Proposal 4191
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 17:51:50 -0400 (EDT)

>Proposal 4191
>Eh? What?
>K 2
>Due: Tue Jun 15 14:21:54 1999
>Sphere: Anti-Canada Kamikaze Alliance
>
>
>This is a Modest Proposal
>
>The following rules are Elderly:
>
> Rule 7-15 Royal Frinks
> Rule 7-2-4 Baaa
> Rule 7-2-2 Gumball
> Rule 7-2-1 The Magic Potato
> Rule 6-4-17 Spelling Exchequer
> Rule 5-5 Committee for the Protection, Preservation, and Integrity of
> the Arts
> Rule 4-8 Quests Rule Suite & Descendants
> Rule 4-1-2 Crazy French-Scotsmen
> Rule 1-2-2-1 Spell books
> Add "to initiate a flight of the Spelling Bee" to the list of duties of
>
> the Rule-Harfer in 6-4-4.
>
>Repeal all rule designated Elderly by this proposal

*Puts on his Brooklyn Dodgers cap*

The Magic Potato?  Not the Magic Potato!  That spud has been around Acka
since the very earliest days.  It was already here when I arrived, which
was a long time ago, I'll have you know.  It has changed hands hundreds
of times and been responsible for hundreds, if not thousands, of points
being spread about.  And despite all the use and abuse, it patiently and
efficiently carries on doing its job, not pausing even to consider the
possibility of imminent decommissioning.  *sniff*

And why, may I ask?  Just because it's squishy, grey, wrinkled, and
covered with fuzzy mold?  Do I hear overtones of age discrimination?
Vegetable discrimination?  Or is there something more sinister going on
here?  A stroke at the heart of Acka so bold as to be worthy of -- can it
be -- that most perfidious of our mortal enemies, Agora!  Or is there a
new player involved, now?  K 2 is well known to hail from Australia; are
the Aussies now not content to rely on such heavyweights as Yahoo Serious,
the Men at Work, and the guy from Crocodile Dundee to assault our shores?
Aha, an epiphany!

ThinMan
Codger

------------------------------

From: "Gavin M. Doig" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 4191
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 18:22:47 -0400 (EDT)

>K 2 is well known to hail from Australia; are
>the Aussies now not content to rely on such heavyweights as Yahoo Serious,
>the Men at Work, and the guy from Crocodile Dundee to assault our shores?
>Aha, an epiphany!
>
It must be some kind of sinister commonwealth conspiracy. Or maybe all of
the colonies... in fact, we've already been overrun by Americans!

BLMP.

------------------------------

End of acka-research Digest V4 #96
**********************************