Subject: acka-research Digest V4 #85
From: [email-masked]
To: acka-research digest users <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 00:00 EDT

acka-research Digest	Saturday, May 15 1999	Volume: 04  Issue: 085

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: "Gavin Logan" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: G&C (was: Proposal 4161 rejected)
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 18:45:24 -0400 (EDT)

>An idea I had during the last week was farming out the whole
>Games & Contests thing to something only semi-official (i.e., a list
>of recognized games, with their rules, which can be amended by a
>proposal, but no longer have any effect on the rest of the game, or
>perhaps even less than that).  They are fun, but never generated the
>level of interest we'd hoped for, IMHO.

Might be a good idea. The danger with this, especially as regards games like
Grab-A-Donkey and MTG* is that by stripping away the traditional gaming
aspect of ackanomic, we become a more procedural nomic. Now while this has a
certain clinical appeal, it is the lack of anything to muck about with that
is making Acka dull at the moment (why was my EBS destroyed, why?) and also
it pushes us further down the path to becoming Agora. And, as was well known
to the ancients, Agora is a rouge nomic.

Personally, I'm in favour of gutting the G&C section since I have seen very
few instances of some of these games played. But that's not what you were
asking... oh, eh... yeah, less formal games. Especially whatever it is we're
calling Party Chess today.

O Olde Alpha

Once you start down the path of the rouge side, forever will it control your
destiny.

------------------------------

End of acka-research Digest V4 #85
**********************************