Subject: acka-research Digest V4 #84
From: [email-masked]
To: acka-research digest users <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 00:00 EDT

acka-research Digest	Wednesday, May 12 1999	Volume: 04  Issue: 084

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 4161 rejected
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 21:00:40 -0400 (EDT)

Close!

Ok.. I'll get the update for 4160 into the rules.

As your President I implore you to get involved if you care enough to stop
the reset.

IB

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 4161 rejected
From: Joseph DeVincentis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 21:30:35 -0400 (EDT)

Matt Miller wrote:
> As your President I implore you to get involved if you care enough to stop
> the reset.

An idea I had during the last week was farming out the whole
Games & Contests thing to something only semi-official (i.e., a list
of recognized games, with their rules, which can be amended by a
proposal, but no longer have any effect on the rest of the game, or
perhaps even less than that).  They are fun, but never generated the
level of interest we'd hoped for, IMHO.

In place of the current rule structure would be a link to (and
definition of) whatever semi-official info we keep, along with an
acknowledgement that such games are welcome in Acka (mainly on the
acka-games mailing list).  Duels would go into this structure too,
also removing the rewards/penalties for playing them.  I'd put party
chess into it if I could figure out how to decouple it from the rest
of the game; it mostly just needs a way to determine how players get
pieces.  Grab-a-Donkey would lose the only-winner-can-make-a-rule-change
and the winner-is-next-wrangler bits, but the latter can continue as a
customary thing, and as for the former, well, I think the changes have
mostly been for the worse, especially since capturing donkeys was added.
The Machine That Goes *ping* could also go into this, again with the
custom that the winner is the next scholar if he wants to do it, etc.

Having made duels unofficial, we might well want to get rid of Honour
as well, though there are enough other components to it that it doesn't
have to go.

Clearly, there is some care that needs to be taken to do this right, so
I didn't just shoot off a prop for this right away.

Opinions?  Other ideas for ways to do this? 

/dev/joe

------------------------------

End of acka-research Digest V4 #84
**********************************