Subject: acka-research Digest V4 #79
From: [email-masked]
To: acka-research digest users <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 00:00 EDT

acka-research Digest	Thursday, May 06 1999	Volume: 04  Issue: 079

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 4161
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 00:07:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:

:If this proposal actually gets approved, I'd like to participate as a
:player. The enormous amount of rules had me quite intimidated, and a reset
:would make my joining the game more enjoyable and less like work for me.

You could, of course, join as player to vote for this proposal.  

rufus

------------------------------

From: "Antonio Rodriguez" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 4161
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 00:23:07 -0400 (EDT)

Hey, why not?

Only, I'm not sure what I need to join in, aside from a pseudonym and a
whole lot of extra time. And I need instructions on how to vote and all that
(ACKA 101: How to use the AckaBot).

So what do I do now?

Antonio Rodriguez
Prototype player of Ackanomic. . .

>On Wed, 5 May 1999, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
>
>:If this proposal actually gets approved, I'd like to participate as a
>:player. The enormous amount of rules had me quite intimidated, and a reset
>:would make my joining the game more enjoyable and less like work for me.
>
>You could, of course, join as player to vote for this proposal.
>
>rufus
>
>
>

------------------------------

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 4161
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 01:56:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
> If this proposal actually gets approved, I'd like to participate as a
> player. The enormous amount of rules had me quite intimidated, and a reset
> would make my joining the game more enjoyable and less like work for me.

My suggestion then Antonio, would be to tell the registrar that you want
to become voting, and vote for it :)

--Dr. Gaga Nome

-- 
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 4161
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 01:59:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 6 May 1999, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
> Only, I'm not sure what I need to join in, aside from a pseudonym and a
> whole lot of extra time. And I need instructions on how to vote and all that
> (ACKA 101: How to use the AckaBot).
> 
> So what do I do now?

You chose a psuedonym (ie, Ackanomic name), you tell the registrar (rufus)
that you wish to become a voting player giving him that psuedonym, your
real name, your email address, and the fact that you want to be a voting
player.

If you joined the game because of hearing about it from someone in
particular, tell him that too, and if that person is a player of the
current game, that player gets some (perhaps temporary) benefit.

--Dr. Gaga Nome, ex-registrar for Ackanomic :)

-- 
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 4161
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 02:02:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 6 May 1999, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
> Hey, why not?
> 
> Only, I'm not sure what I need to join in, aside from a pseudonym and a
> whole lot of extra time. And I need instructions on how to vote and all that
> (ACKA 101: How to use the AckaBot).

As far as how to use the bot, for this simple exercise, you would (after
you become a voting player), send a message to [email-masked]

In the body of the mail put
#vote 4161 <vote value>

The vote value can be any number from -300 to 300 provided you have at
least that much mannna.   New players get 100, so your vote could be
anywhere from 100 (a vote for the proposal) to -100 (a vote against it).

--Dr. Gaga Nome.

-- 
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

From: "Antonio Rodriguez" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 4161- Attention: rufus
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 12:29:36 -0400 (EDT)

I hereby declare my intention of adding myself to the game of Ackanomic as a
voting player.

Elected Pseudonym: Taser
Real Name: Antonio Rodriguez
e-mail address: [email-masked].

I learned about the game through the Web, so I guess noone actually gets a
benefit, though rufus was kind enough to let me know about the
particularities of the game when I came in as observer.

Let the madness begin!

Tony R.
aka Taser

>> Only, I'm not sure what I need to join in, aside from a pseudonym and a
>> whole lot of extra time. And I need instructions on how to vote and all
that
>> (ACKA 101: How to use the AckaBot).
>>
>> So what do I do now?
>
>You chose a psuedonym (ie, Ackanomic name), you tell the registrar (rufus)
>that you wish to become a voting player giving him that psuedonym, your
>real name, your email address, and the fact that you want to be a voting
>player.
>
>If you joined the game because of hearing about it from someone in
>particular, tell him that too, and if that person is a player of the
>current game, that player gets some (perhaps temporary) benefit.

------------------------------

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 4161- Attention: rufus
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 12:46:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 6 May 1999, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:

:>> (ACKA 101: How to use the AckaBot).
:>>

To vote on a proposal send the Ackabot <[email-masked]> mail with this
body:

#vote prop.number vote

votes range from -200 to 200 for most players.  If you send a #help command,
it will send back detailed, slightly dated instructions.

Questions, feel free to ask.

rufus

------------------------------

From: Mueller <[email-masked]>
Subject: RFC: Inter-Nomic Justice
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 18:04:16 -0400 (EDT)

Prop XXXX We Are Lazy Judges

Amend Rule 3 by replacing the NOTAGORACOMPATIBLE with the AGORAHAPPY text.

NOTAGORACOMPATIBLE
A statement with multiple sentences is not necessarily disqualified; it is
up to the judgement of the Judge as to whether such submission is Invalid,
as per above.
NOTAGORACOMPATIBLE

AGORAHAPPY
A statement with multiple sentences is disqualified.  The determination of
which statements contain multiple sentences shall be made by the Clerk of
the Court.
AGORAHAPPY

In Rule 3-1 replace the MISSINGASTEP text with the MAKETHEMDOIT text.

MISSINGASTEP
When a Player is to be selected to judge a CFJ the following steps are
performed in order to determine those Players who are
eligible to judge it: 

i) All Voting Players are eligible. 

ii) All Players on the CFJ Ineligibility List are excluded. 

iii) The author of the CFJ is excluded. 

iv) If the CFJ is also a CFCJ the Player or Players named in its statement
are excluded. 

v) All Justices are excluded. 

vi) All Players who have declined to judge the CFJ are excluded. 

vii) All Players who have already been assigned a CFJ and are yet decline
or return a verdict on it are excluded, unless this
would reduce the number of eligible Players to less than half the number of
Active Players.

If any of the above steps would cause the number of eligible players to be
reduced to zero or fewer, that step is not performed.

When a CFJ is received by the Clerk of the Court, if no Active Players are
eligible to judge it, then the CFJ is deemed Invalid,
and removed from consideration, and no judge is selected. Otherwise, the
Clerk of the Court randomly selects a Player from
those eligible to judge it. 

The selected Judge may decline a particular appointment, as a public action
or by mailing the Clerk of the Courts, within 3 days
of being selected. In this case, a new Judge is selected as described above. 
MISSINGASTEP

MAKETHEMDOIT
When a Judge is to be selected for a CFJ the following steps are performed
in order to determine who shall judge it: 

i) Ackanomic's Clerk of the Courts or a Deputy of eirs shall submit  the
CFJ to Agora with the statement to be judged prefixed with "In Ackanomic"
if necessary. [Persons can only submit 5 CFJs a week in Agora, so the
Deputy may be necessary.] If the CFJ is dismissed in Agora by the
Agora-Judge selected there, then the rest of the steps are performed,
otherwise the Agora-Judge's decision rendered in Agora shall be as binding
in Ackanomic as if an Acka-Judge had given the ruling.

i) All Voting Players are eligible. 

ii) All Players on the CFJ Ineligibility List are excluded. 

iii) The author of the CFJ is excluded. 

iv) If the CFJ is also a CFCJ the Player or Players named in its statement
are excluded. 

v) All Justices are excluded. 

vi) All Players who have declined to judge the CFJ are excluded. 

vii) All Players who have already been assigned a CFJ and are yet decline
or return a verdict on it are excluded, unless this
would reduce the number of eligible Players to less than half the number of
Active Players.

If any of the above steps would cause the number of eligible players to be
reduced to zero or fewer, that step is not performed.

When a CFJ is received by the Clerk of the Court, if no Judge can be
assigned to it, then the CFJ is deemed Invalid, and removed from
consideration, and no judge is selected. Otherwise, if an Agora-Judge has
dismissed it, the Clerk of the Court randomly selects a Player from those
eligible to judge it. 

The selected Player may decline a particular appointment, as a public
action or by mailing the Clerk of the Courts, within 3 days
of being selected. In this case, a new Judge is selected as described in
the step by step process above, excluding the first step. 
MAKETHEMDOIT

Amend Rule 3-2 by changing its text to the TINYFIXES text.

TINYFIXES
Having been appointed to Judge and having not declined, a Player has
exactly one week from the time of eir appointment to post eir
Judgment to the Clerk of the Court. A Player who defaults is a deadbeat.
This causes em to be penalized 10 points, eir name to
be added to the CFJ Ineligibility List, and all CFJs to which e is
appointed Judge to be reassigned to new judges as if e had
declined judgment. Agora-Judges may take as much time as permitted by
Agora's rules for eir own CFJ's (or equivalent entities).  If, in the
opinion of Ackanomic's Clerk of the Courts, Agora fails to follow eir own
rules properly, e may reassign that CFJ as if it a Player had gone deadbeat
on it and Agora is penalized 10 points.

Any Player may change eir mind on a verdict that e has sent to the Clerk of
the Court (CotC) but has not yet been distributed
by the CotC by mailing the CotC informing em of this fact. At this point
the initial judgement will be considered to have not
been posted to the CotC. Agora-Judges verdicts are considered unchangeable
in Ackanomic when they are completed in Agora and are not subject to change
in Ackanomic, even if they are appealed or otherwise changed later in Agora.
TINYFIXES

Replace the NOFUN text in Rule 3-3 with the WHATWILLHAPPEN? text.

NOFUN
All Judgements must be in accordance with all the rules in effect at the
time judgement was invoked, and with respect to the
game state at that time. When the rules are silent, inconsistent, or
unclear on the statement in question, however, then the Judge
shall consider currently existing game custom and the spirit of the game in
reaching a decision. 

If the Judgement is Undecided then the CFJ shall be decided by the Supreme
Court as if it had been appealed, except that the
original Judge shall not be penalized for an overturned verdict on that CFJ. 
NOFUN

WHATWILLHAPPEN?
All Judgements must be in accordance with all the rules in effect at the
time judgement was invoked, and with respect to the
game state at that time. When the rules are silent, inconsistent, or
unclear on the statement in question, however, then the Judge
shall consider currently existing game custom and the spirit of the game in
reaching a decision. However, if a Judgement is rendered by an Agora-Judge,
then it may be in accord with EIR standards, so long as those standards are
the standards they would use for eir own CFJs (or equivalent entities).  If
such standards are not maintained, in the opinion of the Clerk of the Court
or any three Ackanomic players, then the CFJ shall be reassigned to an
Judge who is a Voting Player as per other rules.

If the Judgement is Undecided then the CFJ shall be decided by the Supreme
Court as if it had been appealed, except that the
original Judge shall not be penalized for an overturned verdict on that CFJ. 
WHATWILLHAPPEN?

Amend Rule 3-6 by appending the NOTSUPPORTEDINAGORA text.

NOTSUPPORTEDINAGORA
12) CFCJs are not Judgable in Agora and only a Voting Player may be
selected to be a Judge for a CFCJ.
NOTSUPPORTEDINAGORA

-----------

Responses appreciated on two levels: for or against the concept, and help
on writing clean legislation.

Please help with the latter even if you are against the concept, because
you might lose and then what good is losing the concept vote AND having bad
legislation.

Studge

------------------------------

End of acka-research Digest V4 #79
**********************************