Subject: acka-research-digest V3 #276
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest     Sunday, November 22 1998     Volume 03 : Number 276

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 02:00:51 -0500 (EST)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:  Acka: Proposal 3769

On Sat, 21 Nov 1998, John Bollinger wrote:
>I agree that players putting game actions into their sigs in annoying,
>and that it is reasonable to make it Annoying.  I do not, however, approve
>of P3769.
>
>>   Showing a lack of respect to the officers who harf the game when they
>>   are acting in their capacity as officers, or refusing to acknowledge
>>   the work done by such functional officers is Annoying. It is also very
>>   impolite.
>
>The entire above section, although true in the lowercase sense of
>"annoying," is well beyond what I want to see in the rules.

That is already in the rules ThinMan.

>>   It is considered disrepectful to the harfers to include actions in a
>>   majority of messages over a given 24 hour period such that those
>>   actions continuosly require a harfer to check or modify some piece of
>>   data.  [Examples of this would be adding "More than 50% of the players
>>   have a rebelliousness characteristic set to 'on'" or "Happy! Happy!
>>   Happy!" or "I remove myself from the CFJ ineligibility list".]  A
>>   player who does not take the time to check the game conditions to the
>>   best of eir ability before performing an action that is dependant
>>   on game conditions is Annoying, Impolite, and downright Obnoxious.
>
>And this section could, I think, be implemented in a rather better fashion.
>In particular, anyone who nitpicks based on "continuously" has a good case
>for this never working at all.  I applaud JT's intent, but I cannot vote
>for this.

I also wish it didn't need to be stated explicitly, however, if players
are going to abuse the harfers, I feel there should be some recourse
however small.

>Also: as Spelling Exchequer, I am available to proof both official and
>unofficial material before public posting.  I am at least 75% likely to
>spell "continuously" correctly, and to be sure that transitive verbs are
>accompanied by objects.  Contact me privately for other probabilities.
>Certification not available upon request.

Heh.. yeah, I should probably make more use of the Spelling Exchequer than
I do, shouldn't I :)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1992 18:18:30 +1100
From: K 2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Another transfer

That must be one of the resent org  transfers I've been ignoring :)

K 2

Gabe Drummond-Cole wrote:

> At 08:00 AM 11/21/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >Gabe Drummond-Cole wrote:
> >
> >> I offer all my money (should be A$100) to Studge in return for eir GBS.
> >
> >Studge has a GBS????
> >
> JAM gave it to em.
>
> --Pol Pot
>
> Possible Butthead -- Crazy French Scotsman -- Daring Adventurer -- Dungeon
> Master  --  Really Weird --  Rule-Harfer -- Religious Caste -- Trying hard
> not to be annoying

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1992 18:38:04 +1100
From: K 2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Resignations

Bryan Federico wrote:

> Well if absoultely no one else offers ill be the wrangler
>

We have a sucker... erm volunteer :)

K 2

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1992 00:02:51 +1100
From: K 2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Org Stuff

First of all the ex-org harfer is in agreement with /dev/joe's findings.

Secondly I agree with Vynd of the Senate thing. ie:
The Office of _Senator_ has four Seats.
The _Senators_ are collectively a Unique Organization known as the
*Senate*.

An office entity with four seats exists with the name "Senator". Players
who hold this seat are also members of the organisation entity called
"Senate". Unlike the case of the grey council the Senator entity is not
specified as being the same entity as the Senate entity - merely having
identical ownership/membership.

When the Senators were kicked out of the Senate they were not removed
from the office of Senator. Rule 411 subsequently placed the holders of
the senator seats back in the Senate organisation after the {{self
deleting text}} had been applied.

The Grey Council, however, is specified as being both an Office and an
Organization - thus we have no Grey Council members.

As a result Slakko and smallpox blanket retain eir senator seats and
/dev/joe and Vynd get a randomly determined senator seat
(either /dev/senate3 or Sinecure 33)

Thirdly the following are notes on recent org actions:

17 Nov 1998 19:09:24 Pol Pot attempted to change eir caste to Worker.
Failed H sim with GOP = 1.

17 Nov 1998 19:36:54 Pol Pot attempted to found a trust fund called "The
Twits" This fails 'cause an org with an identical name already existed.

17 Nov 1998 21:20:52 smallpox blanket attempted to use eir powers as a
founder to allow emself to join the *cult* of the Church to the Evil
ballot Stuffer. A founder does not have the ability to manipulate
*cults* in this manner. Action fails.

17 Nov 1998 21:33:33 two-star attempts to join the AVPP - it has an open
membership policy. Action succeeds.

17 Nov 1998 21:36:44 Rex Mundi attempts to join AVPP  - it has an open
membership policy. Action succeeds.

17 Nov 1998 21:40:37 JT attempts to join AVPP  - it has an open
membership policy. Action succeeds.

17 Nov 1998 21:40:37 JT made some suggestions for AVPP - these are
awaiting approval (1/6).

17 Nov 1998 21:42:16 two-star approves of JT's AVPP suggestions (2/6)

17 Nov 1998 21:43:53 smallpox blanket approves of JT's suggestion (3/6).

17 Nov 1998 21:46:44 JT leaves the AVPP

17 Nov 1998 21:55:23 two-star leaves AVPP

18 Nov 1998 00:47:44 Pol Pot attempts some actions as founder of JAM
which fail because its a *cult*.

18 Nov 1998 00:47:44 Pol Pot Changes eir Caste to Religious.

18 Nov 1998 09:12:09 Idiotboy denounces all AVPP actions.

18 Nov 1998 18:36:27 smallpox blanket leaves AVPP

20 Nov 1998 19:46:43 two-star attempted to change JAM's membership
policy - e wasn't a member so it fails.

21 Nov 1998 20:09:17 Gromit accepts JT into the boomerangs. Suggests and
approves The green Ripper's admittance (1/2)

K 2
tEniCoAoTT

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 13:05:01 -0500
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Org Stuff

>As a result Slakko and smallpox blanket

you mean Studge

> retain eir senator seats and
>/dev/joe and Vynd get a randomly determined senator seat
>(either /dev/senate3 or Sinecure 33)

And you're not org-harfer.

--Pol Pot

Possible Butthead -- Crazy French Scotsman -- Daring Adventurer -- Dungeon
Master  --  Really Weird --  Rule-Harfer -- Religious Caste -- Trying hard
not to be annoying

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 13:07:48 -0500
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Org Stuff

>
>And you're not org-harfer.
>
>
Oops, sorry, K 2.  I didn't see you point that out yourself.  I apologize,
and dont donate anything to anyone, because it would just make more work
for the financier... and also, this is acka-research

--Pol Pot

Possible Butthead -- Crazy French Scotsman -- Daring Adventurer -- Dungeon
Master  --  Really Weird --  Rule-Harfer -- Religious Caste -- Trying hard
not to be annoying

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 14:39:47 -0500 (EST)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Org draft 3

Various changes large and small.
#submit proposal Round and round...
	Retitle rule 1003 "Corporations"
	Amend rule 1003 to read as delimited by NEWORGORDER
NEWORGORDER
1. Forming a Corporation 

An Corporations is a named unownable entity. Any player may publically announce eir intent to form a Corporation, unless e is a pseudo-Founder. 

When a player has done so e becomes a pseudo-Founder for a period of 7-days. 

If during those 7 days at least two additional players publically announce that they wish to join the Corporation the pseudo-Founder intends to form, and the pseudo-Founder agrees, then the pseudo-Founder forms the Corporation by announcing the Corporation's name, its type, paying the standard Harfer's Fee, and announceing the name of its members.  120 shares in the Corporation are created and distributed equally among the initial members; excess shares are destroyed.

The name must be a legal name. 

2. Corporation Disbandment 

The rules may call for the disbandment of an Corporation.

When an Corporation is disbanded, everything owned by the Corporation is transferred to the Treasury, all shares associated with the Corporation are destroyed, and the Corporation is then no more. 

3. Corporate Voting 

When a motion is made to a Corporation, its stockholders have one week to vote publicly.  At the end of that week or when sufficient votes have been made such that no additional votes could change the outcome, the result of the votes will be determined.  If the motion was privaleged, the support of entities owning at least two-thirds of the shares is requrired for it to pass; otherwise the support of the owners of a simple majority is needed.  Corporations which own shares in the Corporation and do not vote are not counted for the purposes of determining the number of shares neccessary, nor are shares buried in treasure.

4. Motions

Any shareholder may make a motion to a Corporation e owns shares in.  The following are valid, non-privaleged, motions: 
	1) To accept offered entities
	2) To change its name to a valid name (which costs the Corporation the SHF, and fails if it does not have an SHF)
	3) To make a motion to a partially-owned Corporation
	4) To vote on a motion in another Corporation.

The following are valid privaleged motions: 
	1) To accept a trade or offer entities
	2) To disband
	3) To mint and distribute new shares associated with the Corporation
	4) To operate a Secret Lab or other Corporate equipment.

The maker of the motion is assumed to vote for the motion.

5. Corruption

A player may call a Corruption hearing against a Corporation claiming that the entity is abusing the rules. They then become the SEC Inspector (Hearing Harfer) for that hearing.  The valid votes are "They're just honest business people, and besides, everyone does it" and "Split 'em up like Ma Bell!".  If the result is the former the SEC Inspector must pay the SHF to each of the members or stock holders.  If the result is the latter the entity is disbanded and the SEC Inspector receives a bribe, er, payment of twice the SHF from the Treasury.

6. The Principle of Otzma 

Corporations have no real understanding of the power that lurks in cards. Therefore, if any Corporation owns an Otzma Card, that Otzma Card is destroyed. 
NEWORGORDER

Repeal rule 1004.
Renumber rule 1005 to 1050.

Create rule 1005, "Shares" with the following STOCK-delimited text
STOCK
	Shares are nameless, tradeable entities. Each share is associated with a Corporation.
	If a Corporation owns a share associated with itself, that share is destroyed.
	If a group of Corporations own shares in such a way that no entity other than a member of that group owns shares in any of those Corporations, all those Corporations are immediately disbanded.
	If an entity owns two-thirds or more of the shares of a Corporation which are not buried, then all entities owned by that Corporation will be treated as if they are owned by that entity and the Corporation will be known as a Subsidiary; for the purposes of this paragraph, a player who owns n% of a Corporation is treated as owning n% of the shares that Corporation owns.  This paragraph takes precedence over all other rules which transfer entities.
STOCK

All societies are turned into Corporations with 120 shares split evenly among their members; any excess shares are destroyed.  All entities owned by Political Parties are transfered to a random member of that Party.

Renumber rule 1006 to 1055.
Repeal 1007.
Renumber 1007.1 to 1025, replace all occurances of "Organization" in it with "Political Party", and rename it "Political Party Admissions".
Renumber 1021, and amend it to read as delimited by NEWPOLITICS
NEWPOLITICS
A Political Party is a nameless, unownable entity. Being a member of more than one Political Party simultaneously is the Crime of Branch-Stacking. At the end of a proposal's voting period, but before votes on that proposal are counted, if every voting player member of a given Political Party voted YES on that proposal, and no member of the Party is also a member of some other Party, then the Political Party itself shall cast an additional YES vote on that proposal for every three voting player members it has. 

Party membership and how players voted are determined based on the facts in force at the end of the voting period for each proposal. 

Any player may publically announce eir intent to form a Political Party, unless e is a pseudo-Founder. 

When a player has done so e becomes a pseudo-Founder for a period of 7-days. 

If during those 7 days at least two additional players publically announce that they wish to join the Party the pseudo-Founder intends to form, and the pseudo-Founder agrees, then the pseudo-Founder forms the Party by announcing the Party's name, its type, paying A$300, and announcing the name of its members.
NEWPOLITICS

Rename 1008 to "Corporate Powers" and replace every occurance of the word "Organization" in it with "Corporation".
Append to rule 1008 the text "A Subsidiary Corporation may not use Corporate Powers."
In rule 1011 and 1013, replace "Organizational" with "Corporate" and "Organization" with "Corporation".
Repeal rule 1015.
Replace the first two paragraphs of rule 1017 with the following TRUSTCASE-delimited text
TRUSTCASE
A Trust Fund is a type of corporation. When a player announces eir intent to found a Trust Fund, they must also annonuce a charter and a name.  If the player can then afford to pay the SHF, the Fund comes into existance with the specified charter, without going throuhg the waiting period and without needing any other players to express interest.  Trust Funds may only own tradeable entities.
TRUSTCASE
Replace "$A" in the rest of 1017 with "tradeable entities".
Replace the first sentence of the penultimate paragraph of rule 1017 with "A Trust Fund's charter should specify what is should do with its tradeable entites and when it should accept offered trades."

Repeal rule 1020.
Create rule 1020, "Organization Miscellany" reading as delimited by ORGJUNK
ORGJUNK
	A player may call a Tax Evasion hearing against a Church or Political Party, claiming that the entity is abusing the rules. They then become the IRS Investigator (Hearing Harfer) for that hearing.  The valid votes are "You're just persecuting them because they donated to your opponent" and "Worse than United Way".  If the result is the former the IRS Investigator must pay the SHF to each of the members or stock holders.  If the result is the latter the entity is disbanded and the IRS Investigator receives a bribe, er, payment of twice the SHF from the Treasury.
	Because Churches are religious, they eschew any pagan symbols.  Therefore, if any Church owns an Otzma Card, that Otzma Card is destroyed.
ORGJUNK
#end

- -- 
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Thank heavens, the sun has gone in, and I don't have to go out and enjoy it.
		-Logan Pearsall Smith

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 15:13:47 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Governments Revisited

The main problem I see with governments is complete disenfranchisement of
the populace (or at least some of it).  I see a way we can retain the
principle of more power to some, without creating severe problems.  It
may, however, be complicated.

Each Government has a subset of players called the Cabal.
It is the Crime of Conspiracy to claim that the Cabal exists. [TINC]
Each Government also has a Strength, an integer greater than or equal
to 1.
When a Government is active, all members of the Cabal have each of their
votes counted as if it was a number of votes equal to the Strength of the
government.  All other players have each of their votes counted as normal.
So the Cabal has a greater ability to affect how proposals work, but can
still be outvoted.

Example Strengths:
Dictator: 8 (or possibly 1/3rd of the no. of active players)
Elected Assembly: 3

What do people think?

- -- 
Duncan C. Richer aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother | Queens' College
http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~dcr24/    Ackanomic     | U. of Cambridge
Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator  | 2nd Year PhD(PMa)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 15:42:30 -0500 (EST)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Governments Revisited

On Sun, 22 Nov 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:
>The main problem I see with governments is complete disenfranchisement of
>the populace (or at least some of it).  I see a way we can retain the
>principle of more power to some, without creating severe problems.  It
>may, however, be complicated.
>
>Each Government has a subset of players called the Cabal.
>It is the Crime of Conspiracy to claim that the Cabal exists. [TINC]
>Each Government also has a Strength, an integer greater than or equal
>to 1.
>When a Government is active, all members of the Cabal have each of their
>votes counted as if it was a number of votes equal to the Strength of the
>government.  All other players have each of their votes counted as normal.
>So the Cabal has a greater ability to affect how proposals work, but can
>still be outvoted.
>
>Example Strengths:
>Dictator: 8 (or possibly 1/3rd of the no. of active players)
>Elected Assembly: 3
>
>What do people think?

I personally don't like it, but somehow, I suspect you were expecting me
to say that.

I would rather not see governments at all.
If they remain however, I prefer the recent governments suggested by K2
to any which change or influence the weight of voting among players.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V3 #276
***********************************