Subject: acka-research-digest V3 #245
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest     Tuesday, October 20 1998     Volume 03 : Number 245

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 18:03:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3649

On Sat, 17 Oct 1998 [email-masked] wrote:

> Proposal 3649
> What's the definition of a Sine?
> A mean Hat
> Due: Sat Oct 24 01:01:23 1998
> 
> NICKEL
> English is the official language of Ackanomic.  If the meaning of a word is
> ambiguous, and there is an English definition of the word, that definition
> i taken to be the meaning of the word.  For the purposes of this rule, if
> such a meaning is necessary, it should be taken from one of the Official
> Dictionaries of Ackanomic, or by the Oxford English Dictionary if the word
> isn't defined in the Official Dictionaries.
> NICKEL

This creates extreme ambiguities when a word has multiple definitions.  It
says that if "there is an English definition of the word, that definition
i taken".  What happens when there are 128 different English definitions
of the word, as with the word "set"?  What then?

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. Richer aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother | Queens' College
http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~dcr24/    Ackanomic     | U. of Cambridge
Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator  | 2nd Year PhD(PMa)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 18:03:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Comments on Current Proposals

Just some quick comments on proposals in the queue:

3648: Rather silly - it wouldn't have all that many effects, but just
silly enough IMHO.

3652: I don't see the justification for letting Trust Funds bury Treasure.
Why do they deserve a special exemption?

3653: Adds extra complexity to something which has not been tested at its
current level of complexity.  Probably excessive at this stage.

3654: Anti-voting returns, but with a twist - modest proposals are
anti-voting exempt.  This is an interesting compromise position which
might make the vote interesting.

3677: I dislike the extra administration this will put on my shoulders.  I
oppose this proposal (although the idea itself is interesting, I think it
is too much harf for the value it provides).

3682: Reminds me too much of Kudos from Agora.

- -- 
Duncan C. Richer aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother | Queens' College
http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~dcr24/    Ackanomic     | U. of Cambridge
Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator  | 2nd Year PhD(PMa)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 18:06:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3676

On Sun, 18 Oct 1998 [email-masked] wrote:

> Proposal 3676
> Leveling the playing field
> JT
> Due: Sun Oct 25 15:13:18 1998
> 
> {{[
>    It occured to me when speaking with a few others on IRC this afternoon
>    that it is a bit unfair for only swingers to be able to buy bonus votes
>    and otzma cards (because truthfully, they are the only folks who would
>    gain enough swing points to be able to do so.
>    So I had this radical idea, get rid (well sorta) of swingpoints.
>    Reward the players of Party Chess with the gain of a small amount of
>    points (1 real point for 2 current swing points), and allow anyone to
>    trade some points for either OCs or Bonus Votes (and raise the price
>    of bonus votes quite a bit.. they are more powerful than OCs and should
>    cost more.
> ]}}

This proposal leaves existing Swingpoints in limbo.  I do not think that
to be the appropriate way of dealing with them.

- -- 
Duncan C. Richer aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother | Queens' College
http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~dcr24/    Ackanomic     | U. of Cambridge
Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator  | 2nd Year PhD(PMa)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 18:11:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3649

>This creates extreme ambiguities when a word has multiple definitions.  It
>says that if "there is an English definition of the word, that definition
>i taken".  What happens when there are 128 different English definitions
>of the word, as with the word "set"?  What then?
>
>Yours,
>Slakko

two things happen:

1) As saaremaa pointed out to me on IRC, Rule 101 takes precedence with the
clause: "Game custom, spirit of the game, and linguistic interpretation are
external concepts and are not regulated or part of the game state."
2) I retract the proposal, as i did a few days ago.
- --A Mean Hat.
  Daring Adventurer -- Dungeon Master - Warrior Caste - Crazy French
Scotsman - Really Weird

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 18:13:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3676

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:
>On Sun, 18 Oct 1998 [email-masked] wrote:
>
>> Proposal 3676
>> Leveling the playing field
>> JT
>> Due: Sun Oct 25 15:13:18 1998
>> 
>> {{[
>>    It occured to me when speaking with a few others on IRC this afternoon
>>    that it is a bit unfair for only swingers to be able to buy bonus votes
>>    and otzma cards (because truthfully, they are the only folks who would
>>    gain enough swing points to be able to do so.
>>    So I had this radical idea, get rid (well sorta) of swingpoints.
>>    Reward the players of Party Chess with the gain of a small amount of
>>    points (1 real point for 2 current swing points), and allow anyone to
>>    trade some points for either OCs or Bonus Votes (and raise the price
>>    of bonus votes quite a bit.. they are more powerful than OCs and should
>>    cost more.
>> ]}}
>
>This proposal leaves existing Swingpoints in limbo.  I do not think that
>to be the appropriate way of dealing with them.

Ack, you are correct.  I can either make another modest prop (and leave
this one it's chance at the parade) or retract and fix.  Either way is
fine IMHO and I'll do whichever people would prefer.

I donate A$1 to the twits.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 21:39:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jonathan David Amery <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3683

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998 [email-masked] wrote:

> Proposal 3683
> Too Easy Otherwise
> Rambo R Minuteman
> Due: Tue Oct 27 17:01:51 1998

 Good point.  I hadn't thought of that...

- -- 
Jonathan David Amery, Trinity Hall, CAMBRIDGE, CB2 1TJ.             #####
http://www.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/~jda23/home.html                  o__#######
Wild Card of Acka, member of SPAM, wearing a Silly Agenda Hat.   \'#######
Follower of Banna, the EBS and Odo.  Holding the Silver Key to the Vault.

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V3 #245
***********************************