Subject: acka-research-digest V3 #233
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest      Sunday, October 4 1998      Volume 03 : Number 233

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 04 Oct 1998 19:24:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RFC (just about ;-)) - org reform 42

Yippee everyones thinking, another reform of orgs up in the air, just
what we all wanted. It's not too bad though, this doesn't contain 72K of
new rules with lots of scams implanted purposefully throughout. In fact,
this is barely even an RFC. It's really just a collection of random
ideas I've had. They all stem from my opinion that orgs need something
doing about them once again. "Why do I think this?" you ask. I was
pondering before what orgs have actually been doing recently and
compiled this list.

Political parties have been getting extra votes every now and again.
Secret labs have been churning out gadgets.
The Twits have been ammassing money.
They have been used as a storage place for things like otzma cards where
people will otherwise exceed their limit.
Churches have been used essentially as a second voice for the founder
without listening to the flock.

There is nothing in the above list that we couldn't do without so I was
tempted to just propose repealing orgs altogether but:

a) It would take too long.
b) It would fail. I only got about 3 votes in favour when I tried
repealing churches.

So I decided I'd try to think up something interesting to do with orgs
and this is what I've got (some of these are probably quite lame but
still...):

Make political parties more crucial to the game structure. Have them
fighting out amongst themselves for votes and supporters and whatever.
Change things so you can be either a member or a supporter. This would
mean reducing the number of political parties quite considerably though
which I think is a decent goal anyway. I would do this in two ways:

Give an incentive for parties to have something other than 3 members.
The idea of an extra unity vote at 5 then at 7 instead of 3, 6, 9 sounds
good for this. Either that or get rid of party unity totally as we
change the political system.

Make political parties that are VSOs into societies.

The minor problem with iths as I see it is Swingers, but it shouldn't be
too much of a problem because I see no reason why we can't just stop the
association of swingers and political parties altogether (it's not as if
they're overly linked as it is).

Allow orgs to vote in certain circumstances. Maybe an org power allowing
an org to own bonus votes, use them and bribe tamany. Or maybe just
somethinglike each prg may vote 5 times a month and not on guarded
proposals.

Take religion further. All we have at the moment are churches. Why not
have Gods as well? This could lead to all sorts of interesting things
like rewards for devote church members and what have you. We could also
have a state religion if we wanted, although not too strictly enforced.
Perhaps also introduce some sort of  benefit for atheism?

Well, that's my thoughts (for now :-)). Mainly I just thought I'd share
them to see what sort of general response they got before I actually try
working on any of them (don't have the time at the moent if they're just
going to geet two votes each). Anyone with any further ideas please do
share. :-)

Rambo R Minuteman.

- --
Tom Walmsley [email-masked]
http://website.lineone.net/~t.walmsley/index.html
AIM: TGW666 ICQ 2925739
Bonvolu alsendi la pordiston, lausajne estas rano en mia bideo.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 04 Oct 1998 19:54:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: Randy Hall <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC (just about ;-)) - org reform 42

> There is nothing in the above list that we couldn't do without so I was
> tempted to just propose repealing orgs altogether but:

Hear hear!  I knew there was support for this out there!  I think people
like the loophole aspects of orgs you pointed out so well, even though
they have been around and well-known forever.

> a) It would take too long.
> b) It would fail. I only got about 3 votes in favour when I tried
> repealing churches.

Well, you would have gotten 4 :-)  Churches are useless, and has been
pointed out, [well nevermind ...]

> So I decided I'd try to think up something interesting to do with orgs

I hope to have a proposal, completely unrelated to your suggestions,
in the next month or so.  So don't stop your reform, and don't kill 
them yet (but you can kill churches :-)).

saaremaa

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 04 Oct 1998 23:53:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: K 2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC (just about ;-)) - org reform 42

Randy Hall wrote:

> > There is nothing in the above list that we couldn't do without so I was
> > tempted to just propose repealing orgs altogether but:
>
> Hear hear!  I knew there was support for this out there!  I think people
> like the loophole aspects of orgs you pointed out so well, even though
> they have been around and well-known forever.
>

the Otzma "scam" is one of my pet peeves (that and SP->BV).

> > So I decided I'd try to think up something interesting to do with orgs
>
> I hope to have a proposal, completely unrelated to your suggestions,
> in the next month or so.  So don't stop your reform, and don't kill
> them yet (but you can kill churches :-)).

but I like churches.... :)

K 2

> saaremaa

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V3 #233
***********************************