Subject: acka-research-digest V3 #216
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest   Saturday, September 12 1998   Volume 03 : Number 216

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 11:13:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3576

On Sat, 12 Sep 1998, nomicbot wrote:

> Proposal 3576
> Finding the Jukkasjarvi treasure calls for a Parade!
> breadbox (Brian Raiter)

Ironic.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 11:29:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3590

> Append the following quoted text to Rule 251:
>
> "If a player attempts to change their name to a name which they have
> previously held, then no player may object to this name change."

Which will be great when I change bak to No Other Players, or two-star goes
back to Rule 2283, or anyone goes back to something which has since become
rule defined. No thank you. If the registrar does this for no good reason then
the simple process is to impeach em for it.

MTM.

- --
Tom Walmsley [email-masked]
http://website.lineone.net/~t.walmsley/index.html
AIM: TGW666 ICQ 2925739
Bonvolu alsendi la pordiston, lausajne estas rano en mia bideo.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 11:32:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3590

On Sat, 12 Sep 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> > Append the following quoted text to Rule 251:
> >
> > "If a player attempts to change their name to a name which they have
> > previously held, then no player may object to this name change."
> 
> 
> Which will be great when I change bak to No Other Players, or two-star goes
> back to Rule 2283, or anyone goes back to something which has since become
> rule defined. No thank you. If the registrar does this for no good reason then
> the simple process is to impeach em for it.

If it once again becomes rule-defined, then someone has been rather silly,
haven't they?  Besides, "no entity may have a name which is a former or
current name of a former or current player".  So if the renaming of
players causes problems, because of new rule-defined entities, someone
hasn't been paying that much attention. 

(Also, if people are concerned, a list of all names previously used in
Ackanomic is available, so checking up is an option.)

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 12:34:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3573

> Proposal 3573
> He's not harfy, He's my brother
> Eris (Gavin Logan)

> When the votes on an Unharfy proposal are publicly knowable, the following
> effects are applied: if that proposal was accepted, all players who voted NO
> on that proposal gain 3 points; if that proposal was rejected, all players
> who voted YES on that proposal gain 3 points; the title of Anti-Harfmeister
> passes from the current Anti-Harfmeister to the author of the Unharfy
> proposal.

So whether the Proposal was accepted or not, the author of the proposal
becomes Anti-Harfmeister?  Just making sure this is what you intended...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.connect.ab.ca/~alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Luba:Young Guns
Current Book--John M. Ford:Web of Angels
Looking for the road map not taken.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 12:34:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3576

> > Proposal 3576
> > Finding the Jukkasjarvi treasure calls for a Parade!
> > breadbox (Brian Raiter)

> Ironic.

Suspicious.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.connect.ab.ca/~alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Luba:Young Guns
Current Book--John M. Ford:Web of Angels
"Captain, why not just give the Borg 'Windows'?"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 15:02:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3590

On Sat, 12 Sep 1998, nomicbot wrote:
>Proposal 3590
>"I Want My Old Name Back" "No." "Oh yeah?"
>Fo (Duncan Richer)
>
>This is a Modest Proposal.
>
>[In theory, I could be prevented from once again becoming Slakko by virtue
>of the Registrar's objection.  If a player has used a name, e should be
>able to return to that name without objection.]

Heh.. I hadn't even considered that or ever doing something like that, but
you are quite right that I could.. heheheh :)

>Append the following quoted text to Rule 251:
>
>"If a player attempts to change their name to a name which they have
>previously held, then no player may object to this name change."

I will not do that just so folks know.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 18:07:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3590

On Sat, 12 Sep 1998, JT wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Sep 1998, nomicbot wrote:
> >Proposal 3590
> >"I Want My Old Name Back" "No." "Oh yeah?"
> >Fo (Duncan Richer)
> >
> >This is a Modest Proposal.
> >
> >[In theory, I could be prevented from once again becoming Slakko by virtue
> >of the Registrar's objection.  If a player has used a name, e should be
> >able to return to that name without objection.]
> 
> Heh.. I hadn't even considered that or ever doing something like that, but
> you are quite right that I could.. heheheh :)
> 
> >Append the following quoted text to Rule 251:
> >
> >"If a player attempts to change their name to a name which they have
> >previously held, then no player may object to this name change."
> 
> I will not do that just so folks know.

What if it was seriously in your interest for some reason?

Also, what happens if you are no longer Registrar?

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 18:45:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Head Apollo" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3573

>
>> Proposal 3573
>> He's not harfy, He's my brother
>> Eris (Gavin Logan)
>
>> When the votes on an Unharfy proposal are publicly knowable, the
following
>> effects are applied: if that proposal was accepted, all players who voted
NO
>> on that proposal gain 3 points; if that proposal was rejected, all
players
>> who voted YES on that proposal gain 3 points; the title of
Anti-Harfmeister
>> passes from the current Anti-Harfmeister to the author of the Unharfy
>> proposal.
>
>So whether the Proposal was accepted or not, the author of the proposal
>becomes Anti-Harfmeister?  Just making sure this is what you intended...
>

Yes, that's it. This is so that the title is passed on even if an unharfy
proposal is accepted purely because people vote YES because they think they
will get points. In many ways, it's like Anti-Voting ...

... except it's not. I can't stress that enough. ;-)

Eris

(Gathering strange looks from the Anti-Anti-Voters.)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 18:48:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 661 (Vynd)

On Sat, 12 Sep 1998, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:

> Judge's reasoning:
> 
> I agree with the initiator, the trade did not occur.  To suggest that an
> organization take an action of offering a trade is by no means the same
> thing as accepting the trade once it is offered.  Indeed, in a situation
> where approval was longer in coming, where the other members had not all
> been proxied, the person who made the suggestion might not even want the
> offered trade anymore. Furthermore, how can someone accept a trade which
> has not yet been offered? I judge this FALSE.

May I just point out that I do have the Whamiol now - as I went through
the same trade deal, then accepted it, yesterday.  (So I received Whamiol
points for Altra the Firecat's activity).

(Even though Alfvaen voiced concerns about the second trade, these
concerns were voiced before my acceptance).
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V3 #216
***********************************