Subject: acka-research-digest V3 #205
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest      Sunday, August 30 1998      Volume 03 : Number 205

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 03:52:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka (RFC namegame)

i don't know if there's any specific protocol here, like whether or not I
should have a final copy or just an idea as outlined here, and whether the
body of this message should be just the proposal idea text...but here goes:

{{Reverse all names (Weishaupt -> tpuahsieW, JT -> TJ,  Vynd -> Dnyv...)}}

or something similar
i can see that this could be a little annoying, so maybe do it for a
certain duration of time (a few hours or a day, say)

what do y'all think?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 03:56:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: Gabe Drummond-Cole <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka (RFC namegame)

or even, (in reference to my previous message) for an instantaneous period.  

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 08:51:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Actions

I would like to add a few word in my offical capacity. Regardless of whether
JT's negative gift worked - which ever thread is reality; the fact that it
happened in one thread is a sure sign that the game is ending in both threads.
We might as well whip out that checkers proposal and give it another go.

K "beat that logic" 2

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 08:51:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka (RFC namegame)

Its certainly a "novelty" proposal - the ever fickle ackan populous may vote
for it; it may not.... perhaps adding it as a page of the Ackanomicon :)

K 2

Gabe Drummond-Cole wrote:

> i don't know if there's any specific protocol here, like whether or not I
> should have a final copy or just an idea as hubert here, and whether the
> body of this message should be just the proposal idea text...but here goes:
>
> {{Reverse all names (Weishaupt -> tpuahsieW, JT -> TJ,  Vynd -> Dnyv...)}}
>
> or something similar
> i can see that this could be a little annoying, so maybe do it for a
> certain duration of time (a few hours or a day, say)
>
> what do y'all think?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 08:51:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Thrall

Master, your humble serf awaits your command :)

K 2

Duncan Richer wrote:

> 3468: K 2 -> Alfvaen
> 3469: Slakko -> Alfvaen
>
> Alfvaen has 2 thralls, all other players have 0.
>
> --
> Duncan C. "" Richer aka
> Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
> Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
> Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 14:55:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka (RFC namegame)

On Sun, 30 Aug 1998, Gabe Drummond-Cole wrote:
>i don't know if there's any specific protocol here, like whether or not I
>should have a final copy or just an idea as outlined here, and whether the
>body of this message should be just the proposal idea text...but here goes:
>
>{{Reverse all names (Weishaupt -> tpuahsieW, JT -> TJ,  Vynd -> Dnyv...)}}
>
>or something similar
>i can see that this could be a little annoying, so maybe do it for a
>certain duration of time (a few hours or a day, say)
>
>what do y'all think?

Why?

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 23:04:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka (RFC namegame)

On Sun, 30 Aug 1998, Gabe Drummond-Cole wrote:

> i don't know if there's any specific protocol here, like whether or not I
> should have a final copy or just an idea as outlined here, and whether the
> body of this message should be just the proposal idea text...but here goes:
> 
> {{Reverse all names (Weishaupt -> tpuahsieW, JT -> TJ,  Vynd -> Dnyv...)}}

Hooker's a good cop!

> 
> or something similar
> i can see that this could be a little annoying, so maybe do it for a
> certain duration of time (a few hours or a day, say)
> 
> what do y'all think?
> 

Well, so far as the idea is concerned, sure, I'd vote for it. :)

If you're asking how to write it up before you submit it as a proposal,
well, that does depend on exactly what it is you want to do.  If you just
want to switch everyones names around and leave it at that, you could
submit a proposal that said "reverse all player names" and that would do
it.  If you want to get into changing them back again, well you'd porbably
have to create a new rule to do it.  At its simplest, you could do that
just by saying "Create a new Rule entitled Blah, with the following text:"
at the begining of your proposal.  And then describe what you want to have
happen. If you're wondering how to phrase it, well, the best advice I can
give is look over the existing rules.

So far as RFCs are concerned, you only need to write them if you really
want to know what people think before you submit a proposal for voting.
Most of the time, people don't RFC an idea, unless they are worried that
they're going to put a lot of work into a proposal that people won't
support, or they're doing something so complicated they want to explain it
to everyone well in advance.

Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V3 #205
***********************************