Subject: acka-research-digest V3 #203
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest     Saturday, August 29 1998     Volume 03 : Number 203

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 00:08:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Gnomesday RFC

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Mueller wrote:

> Amend Rule 975/4 titled =93Yes Virginia=94 by replacing the text which
> currently reads:
>=20
> VI. If a player is at the Ackanomic Institute of Genetic Replication he
> receives a Boon of the Ancients, provided he has been there for at least
> three days.
>=20
> with:
>=20
> VI. If a player has been at the Ackanomic Institute of Genetic Replicatio=
n
> since August 25th 12:00PM [noon] e receives a Boon of the Ancients.
>=20
>=20

Nothing personal, but.. yawn.

IB

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 01:19:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3472

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Mueller wrote:

> I think I see a potential scam.
> 
> Nomicbot wrote:
> >Proposal 3472
> >Net Worth it?
> >K 2 (Kelly Kelly)
> >
> >Replace the first four paragraphs of Rule 506 (Trinkets) with:
> >"
> >A class of gift entities known as Trinkets exist. The Net Worth of a
> >Trinket may only be changed as specified by the rules.
> 
> and then the other four paragraphs continue, but compare vs the current
> first paragraph:
> 
> "Rule 506/12 (Trinkets)
> 
> A class of gift entities known as Trinkets exist. Trinkets always have a
> positive, integral value in A$; this takes precedence over
> all other rules. The value of a Trinket may only be changed as specified by
> the rules."
> 
> If I read this correctly, then Trinkets could validly be created which had
> a negative value, effectively making money for the Trinket maker.  Says
> "Scam" to me.
> 

Ugh.  Please please PLEASE let us not go down that particular road again.

Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 02:31:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3472

On Sat, 29 Aug 1998, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:
>On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Mueller wrote:
>
>> I think I see a potential scam.
>> 
>> Nomicbot wrote:
>> >Proposal 3472
>> >Net Worth it?
>> >K 2 (Kelly Kelly)
>> >
>> >Replace the first four paragraphs of Rule 506 (Trinkets) with:
>> >"
>> >A class of gift entities known as Trinkets exist. The Net Worth of a
>> >Trinket may only be changed as specified by the rules.
>> 
>> and then the other four paragraphs continue, but compare vs the current
>> first paragraph:
>> 
>> "Rule 506/12 (Trinkets)
>> 
>> A class of gift entities known as Trinkets exist. Trinkets always have a
>> positive, integral value in A$; this takes precedence over
>> all other rules. The value of a Trinket may only be changed as specified by
>> the rules."
>> 
>> If I read this correctly, then Trinkets could validly be created which had
>> a negative value, effectively making money for the Trinket maker.  Says
>> "Scam" to me.
>> 
>
>Ugh.  Please please PLEASE let us not go down that particular road again.

We cannot actually.  The proposal defined Total worth as a characteristing
with a positive integral value.  Therefore there is no scam here (at least
not this one :) (I didn't see any other ones either)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 05:29:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: Mueller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RFC: Thralls, Caste, Council, and Jihad

This tromps on some current proposals, but before I update it I wanted to
see if I should even bother:

My First Proposal
Studge (Tom Mueller)

This is a modest proposal.

This proposal gives purpose to the Grey Council, allows the game to enter a
game state known as Jihad (which warriors and workers should like), and
let's each caste gain thralls in a thematically acceptable way: warriors by
duel (requiring modifications of the games suite), workers by purchase,
religious by punishment (requiring the creation of a Cultural Conduct Rule
Suite).

***This is the Grey Council Stuff:***
- -----

Amend Rule 1031/0 (Grey Council) by adding to the beginning:
“
Section 1 Council Formation
“
and adding to the end:
“
Section 2 Council Duties

If nine seats of the Grey Council are full then a Grey Proposal may be put
before the Grey Council by publicly posting it.  This causes the Grey
Council to consider the Grey Proposal unless it is already considering one,
in which case the post is ignored.  Members of the Grey Council may vote
with any string of text they desire that has fewer than 1025 characters, by
publicly posting it. They may not change eir vote. The effects of a Grey
Proposal occur when the required number of appropriate votes have been
made, but the voting is not considered over until 72 whole hours have
elapsed since consideration began.

Valid Grey Proposals include and may be resolved in the following
circumstances:

a) If a member of the Grey Council makes a Grey Proposal that Ackanomic
enter the state of Jihad and six members vote "Kill the heretics!" then
Ackanomic enters or stays in the state of Jihad, otherwise the game enters
or stays in its normal, non-Jihad state.

b) If a member of the Religious Caste makes a Grey Proposal that a new rule
be added to the Cultural Conduct Rule Suite and three members vote "Yes,
traditional values of Harf must be preserved!" then the proposal is added
to the Cultural Conduct Rule Suite as proposed.

c) If a member of the Grey Council makes a Grey Proposal to strike a rule
from the Cultural Conduct Rule Suite and seven members vote "Those crazy
Harf priests are at it again!" then the noted rule is repealed from the
Cultural Conduct Rule Suite.

Section 3 Council Tricks

a) Grey Bonus Votes

(i) Five Bonus Votes may be converted into a Grey Bonus Vote, a tradable
entity of which only one may be owned by any player.  If more than one
would be owned by a single player, all but one are destroyed.

(ii) Using a Grey Bonus Vote causes the destruction of the Grey Bonus Vote
and causes a player to become a Temporary Grey Council Member for their
caste until such time as one vote has been completed with this player as a
Temporary Grey Council Member.

(iii) Only one Temporary Grey Council Member may exist at a time. Grey
Bonus Votes used while a Temporary Grey Council Member exists, or used by a
normal member of the Grey Council result only in the destruction of the
Grey Bonus Vote.
“
- -----

***This is stuff which relates to the Worker Caste’s new thrall process.
It lets them buy Thralls with permission out of Jihad and without
permission during.***

Amend Rule 440/0 (Thrallmaster) by replacing:
“
(i) To maintain a list of player Thrall Attributes. 

(ii) To publicly announce whenever a Thrall Attribute has changed. 
“
with:
“
(i) To maintain a list of player Thrall Attributes. 

(ii) To maintain a count of how many times a player's Thrall Attribute has
been changed due to Rule 1032 since all Thrall Attributes were changed to
the null string (i.e."").

(iii) To publicly announce whenever a Thrall Attribute has changed and how. 
“

- -----

Create a rule numbered 1032 titled "Worker Caste" with the text:
“
On each Monday at 12:01 AM the member of the Worker Caste who is Overlord
to more players than any other member of the Worker Caste is given the
Caste Title "Merchant Prince".  If there are ties, these are broken in
favor of whichever player most recently held a Caste Title.  Remaining ties
are broken randomly.

When one Player (E) is another player's (F's) overlord, Player (E) may
transfer this status to a member of the Worker Caste (G) with the attendant
change of (F's) Thrall Attribute as if the thrall were a traded entity. 

The Thrall Value associated with any player's Thrall Attribute is A$
(50*(The number of times a player's Thrall Attribute has been changed due
to Rule 1032 since all Thrall Attributes were changed to the null string) +
100*(The number of Thralls held by the player changing the Thrall Attribute
in question) + 100).

During Jihad, a member of the Worker Caste may change Thrall Attributes as
public actions provided:
a)If the Thrall Attribute e is changing is "", then e gives the Thrall
Value to the player whose attribute is being changed.
b)If the Thrall Attribute e is changing is other than "", then e gives the
Thrall Value to the player indicated by the Thrall Attribute.
c)E changes the thrall attribute to eir own name if it is some other
player's Thrall Attribute.
d)E changes the Thrall Attribute to "" if it is eir own Thrall Attribute.
e)E is more than two Thralls away from being Overlord of more than 60% of
all Active Players.
f)E includes a description of the greedy little jig e does if eir action is
successful.

When the Ackanomic game state is changed to Jihad all Workers must begin
overproducing the basic necessities of life to allow the Priests and
Warriors to focus on preparation, then the next day at 12:02AM every member
of the Worker Caste will receive an equal share of the Food Fund, If money
remains in the Food Fund, A$1 from it will be given to each member of the
caste with the smallest amount of money. On each third day that Jihad
continues, the Food Fund will again be distributed in this way.
“

- -----

***This section of the proposal modifies Dueling to permit warriors to
engage in Caste Duels with other players for Thrall by fiddling with the
Dueling Rule, The Games and Contests Suite and creating a Warrior Rule.*** 

Amend Rule 1215/10 (Duels) by replacing the current text: 
“
1. Any player who feels offended by another player, or is engaged in a
heated discussion with another player, may challenge that player to a duel,
subject to the limitations described below. 

2. The procedure for challenging and conducting a duel is as follows: 

The Challenging player finds another player who agrees to be their Second.
The Challenger gives their Second the name of the player he wishes to
Challenge, and the reason for the Challenge. 

The Second posts a public message, which announces the name of the
Challenging player, the name of the Challenged player, the reason for the
Challenge, and the fact that a Challenge has been made. 

The Challenged player has 3 days to find another player who agrees to be
their Second and have the Second respond to the message publicly. The
message must contain the following information: The Challenge it is a reply
to, and a Game or Contest chosen by the Challenged player for the Duel, or
an explicit waiver of the privilege of choosing the Game or Contest. If
there is no response to the Challenge within the 3 days, or the Challenged
player declines the Challenge, or the response does not conform to the
rules preceding, then the Challenged player forfeits the 
Duel. The Game or Contest (hereafter called Contest) chosen for the Duel
must be one in the Games and Contests Rule Suite. Moreover, it must be
playable by exactly two players, or two teams of two players each and have
definitive rules for determining a winner, or a winning team. If 
the chosen contest is for two teams, then each of the participants of the
Duel teams up with eir respective Second. If the Challenging player, the
Challenged player, and the two Seconds are not four different players, then
the team option is not available and the contest chosen must be playable by
exactly two players. 

If the Challenged player waived the privilege of choosing a Contest, the
Challenging player may choose a Contest. 

The duel starts upon the Challenged Player's Second posting the acceptance
of the Duel. [The President, or any other Political Officer, may announce
the start of the duel, if they wish.] If the Game or Contest chosen for the
Duel requires a Referee, it does not require two teams of two players, and
no player volunteers to referee the Game within one week of the Duel's
beginning, then the Challenged Player's Second shall referee the Duel. 

When the Duel is over, the winner of the Duel receives 6 points in addition
to any rewards or penalties he may have received as part of the Contest
itself. The loser of the Duel loses 6 points in addition to any rewards or
penalties he may have received as part of the Contest itself. The winner's
Second receives 3 points, the loser's Second loses 3 points. 

The results of the Duel have no other direct influence over Ackanomic.
However if either the Challenger or the Challenged have committed
themselves in a public message to a certain action depending on the results
of the Duel, then they must perform that action if the rules permit
performance of the action. Should they fail to perform that action, they
are breaking the rules. 

3. When a duel is forfeited, the player who forfeited loses 6 points, and
his opponent in the duel gains 6 points. The seconds scores are not changed
in this case. 

4. Conditions under which a duel may not be called, or unusual forfeit and
cancellation conditions: 

a. It is impermissible to Challenge an Untouchable Player to a Duel. 

b. A Player who Challenged another Player to a Duel or a Player who has
been Challenged by another Player to a Duel is Untouchable until the Duel
procedures are resolved. 

c. A Player who was a Challengee in a Duel, that is, was Challenged to a
Duel and accepted, continues to be Untouchable until the end of the
Calendar month in which the duel ended. 

d. Players unable to play subgames are Untouchable. 

e. If a player who is currently engaged in Duel procedures becomes unable
to play subgames, e forfeits the Duel. 

f. A Player running for Office may not Challenge another Player running for
the same Office to a duel. 

g. A player who has declined a Duel, or failed to respond to a Challenge,
is Untouchable until 3 days after the date he has declined, or until 3 days
after he is considered to have forfeited the duel. 

h. If both the Challenger and the Challenged become unable to play subgames
simultaneously, then the Duel is canceled. 

i. No player may make more than 3 challenges per calendar month. No more
than 6 duels may be called per calendar month. 

j. If either the Challenger or the Challenged player leaves the game before
the original Challenge is answered, the Duel is canceled. 

k. If both the Challenger and the Challenged players publicly agree that
the Game or Contest being used for a Duel has been fatally compromised [for
instance by a third party revealing the Fictionary definition or an error
in the Game's rules], a new Game or Contest may be selected, and the Duel
is restarted. 
“
with:
“
1. Any player who feels offended by another player, or is engaged in a
heated discussion with another player, may challenge that player to a duel,
subject to the limitations described below. 

2. The procedure for challenging and conducting a duel is as follows: 

The Challenging player finds another player who agrees to be eir Second.
The Challenger gives eir Second the name of the player e wishes to
Challenge, the reason for the Challenge, and whether or not the Duel is to
be a Caste Duel. A Caste Duel may not be chosen if there are not at least
two Games or Contests in the Games and Contests Rule Suite which declare
themselves to be Caste Compatible in their rule section and/or, either the
Challenger or Challenged are members of the Warrior Caste and within two
Thralls from being Overlord of more than 60% of all Active Players.

If the Duel will be a Caste Duel and the Challenger is a member of the
Warrior Caste then the Challenger has their Dueling Advantage reduced by
two (2) until the Duel has been resolved.

The Second posts a public message, which announces the name of the
Challenging player, the name of the Challenged player, the reason for the
Challenge, the fact that a Challenge has been made, and whether or not the
Duel is to be a Caste Duel. 

The Challenged player has 3 days to find another player who agrees to be
eir Second and have the Second respond to the message publicly. The message
must contain the following information: The Challenge it is a reply to, and
a Game or Contest chosen by the Challenged player for the Duel, or an
explicit waiver of the privilege of choosing the Game or Contest. If there
is no response to the Challenge within the 3 days, or the Challenged player
declines the Challenge, or the response does not conform to the rules
preceding, then the Challenged player forfeits the 
Duel. The Game or Contest (hereafter called Contest) chosen for the Duel
must be one in the Games and Contests Rule Suite. Moreover, it must be
playable by exactly two players, or two teams of two players each and have
definitive rules for determining a winner, or a winning team. If 
the chosen contest is for two teams, then each of the participants of the
Duel teams up with eir respective Second. If the Challenging player, the
Challenged player, and the two Seconds are not four different players, then
the team option is not available and the contest chosen must be playable by
exactly two players. If the Duel is to be a Caste Duel then the Game or
Contest chosen must indicate in that it is Caste Compatible in the rule
section.

If the Challenged player waived the privilege of choosing a Contest, the
Challenging player may choose a Contest. 

The duel starts upon the Challenged Player's Second posting the acceptance
of the Duel. [The President, or any other Political Officer, may announce
the start of the duel, if they wish.] If the Game or Contest chosen for the
Duel requires a Referee, it does not require two teams of two players, and
no player volunteers to referee the Game within one week of the Duel's
beginning, then the Challenged Player's Second shall referee the Duel. 

When the Duel is over, the winner of the Duel receives 6 points in addition
to any rewards or penalties e may have received as part of the Contest
itself. The loser of the Duel loses 6 points in addition to any rewards or
penalties e may have received as part of the Contest itself. The winner's
Second receives 3 points, the loser's Second loses 3 points. If the Duel
was a Caste Duel and the winner is a member of the Warrior Caste then the
loser's Thrall Attribute is changed to show that the winner is the Overlord
of the loser.  The seconds’ Thrall Attributes are not changed by winning or
losing.

The results of the Duel have no other direct influence over Ackanomic.
However if either the Challenger or the Challenged have committed
themselves in a public message to a certain action depending on the results
of the Duel, then they must perform that action if the rules permit
performance of the action. Should they fail to perform that action, they
are breaking the rules.

3. When a duel is forfeited, the player who forfeited loses 6 points, and
eir opponent in the duel gains 6 points, and if the Duel was a Caste Duel
and the winner was a member of the Warrior Caste, the winner becomes the
loser's Overlord. The seconds’ scores and Thrall Attributes are not changed
in any case of forfeit. 

4. Conditions under which a duel may not be called, or unusual forfeit and
cancellation conditions: 

a. It is impermissible to Challenge an Untouchable Player to a Duel. 

b. A Player who Challenged another Player to a Duel or a Player who has
been Challenged by another Player to a Duel is Untouchable until the Duel
procedures are resolved. 

c. A Player who was a Challengee in a Duel, that is, was Challenged to a
Duel and accepted, continues to be Untouchable until the end of the
Calendar month in which the duel ended. 

d. Players unable to play subgames are Untouchable. 

e. If a player who is currently engaged in Duel procedures becomes unable
to play subgames, e forfeits the Duel. 

f. A Player running for Office may not Challenge another Player running for
the same Office to a duel. 

g. A player who has declined a Duel, or failed to respond to a Challenge,
is Untouchable until 3 days after the date e has declined, or until 3 days
after e is considered to have forfeited the duel. 

h. If both the Challenger and the Challenged become unable to play subgames
simultaneously, then the Duel is canceled. 

i. No player may make more than 3 challenges per calendar month. No more
than 6 duels may be called per calendar month. 

j. If either the Challenger or the Challenged player leaves the game before
the original Challenge is answered, the Duel is canceled. 

k. If both the Challenger and the Challenged players publicly agree that
the Game or Contest being used for a Duel has been fatally compromised [for
instance by a third party revealing the Fictionary definition or an error
in the Game's rules], a new Game or Contest may be selected, and the Duel
is restarted. 

5. During Jihad, sections 4.c. and 4.i. of this Rule are not considered to
be in effect.
“

- -----

Amend Rule 1250.1/17 (Games & Contests) by

replacing the text in Section III. Game Descriptions which currently reads:
“
d. The Rules for the Game. 
“
with:
“
d. The Rules for the Game. If a game is Caste Compatible it must:
(i) Be indicated at the top of The Rules of the Game
(ii) Be playable as a normal Duel as outlined in Rule 1215/10 (Duels).
(iii) Also include a system for incorporating Duel Advantage.
“
and by replacing the text in Section VII. Exhibitions which currently reads
“
a. The Speaker, President, or Senate may declare an instance of a game an
"exhibition" as a public action, even while it is in progress. In this
case, no points or currency shall be awarded or transferred to, or among,
the participants (but Trophies shall be, as appropriate). This declaration
is discouraged, and should do so only under conditions of abuse or other
problems. 

b. A Referee of any game may declare the game to be an Internomic
Exhibition, provided e makes the declaration prior to the first move in
that game, and at a stage when players can still join the game. When a game
has been declared as an Internomic Exhibition, any person who is a player
of a nomic which a member of Internomic may join as a player, provided e
abides by the rules of the specific game. When a game is declared to be an
Internomic Exhibition, no point, currency or trophies are transferred to,
from or between players. 
“
with:
“
a. The Speaker, President, or Senate may declare an instance of a game an
"exhibition" as a public action, even while it is in progress. In this
case, no points or currency shall be awarded or transferred to, or among,
the participants (but Trophies shall be, as appropriate). If the game
instance is also a Caste Duel, then no Thrall Attributes may be changed as
a result of the game.  This declaration is discouraged, and should do so
only under conditions of abuse or other problems. This section 

b. A Referee of any game may declare the game to be an Internomic
Exhibition, provided e makes the declaration prior to the first move in
that game, and at a stage when players can still join the game. When a game
has been declared as an Internomic Exhibition, any person who is a 
player of a nomic which a member of Internomic may join as a player,
provided e abides by the rules of the specific game. When a game is
declared to be an Internomic Exhibition, no point, currency or trophies are
transferred to, from or between players, and no Thrall Attributes 
may be changed as a result of the game. 
“
and by adding to the end of the rule the following text:
“
XV. Dueling Advantage

a. All players have an attribute known as Dueling Advantage which is an
integer.  Unless specified in other rules, the Dueling Advantage of a
player defaults to zero (0).

b. To incorporate Dueling Advantage into a game or contest, a process
whereby any integer difference between one player's Dueling Advantage and
another's can be worked into the game or contest so as to give one player a
small but significant advantage which will not result in a guaranteed win
by either party in any case where the difference in their Dueling
Advantages is less than or equal to three.
“

- -----

Amend Rule 1250.8/0 (Limerick Contest) by replacing the portion of the
current text which reads:
“
4) Rules of the contest: 

Each of the players in the contest writes a limerick about the other
player. The limerick may be silly, funny, and even ridicule the other
participant in a good-humored manner, as long as it is not offensive. The
limericks must be posted within 3 days of the start of the contest. If one
of the participants fails to post a limerick, then the other wins by
default. If neither post, the referee chooses a winner at random using the
AMD. 

Once both limericks have been posted, there is a 3 day voting period.
During the voting period all Ackanomic players may send their vote to the
referee, indicating which limerick is the better one, 

with an extra caveat, quoth here. The Poet Laureate (if there is one)
Shall, with his learned art gained quite so dear, Attempt to share and
increase the fun When the Poet's vote is count'd at the end, His one vote
shall instead be counted twice. The Poet may, if e does wish, then send A
public message, hopefully quite nice To praise the Duelist which had won
his vote Explaining why the Poet liked what e wrote. 

The participant whose limerick got the most votes wins the contest. In case
of a tie, the participant whose limerick was posted first wins the contest.
In the case that that does not determine a winner, the referee determines a
winner at random, using the AMD. If the winner is chosen at random, both
players shall be eligible, even if one or both are non-active. 

No Trophy is awarded to the winner of this contest. 
“
with:
“
4) Rules of the contest: 

This game is Caste Compatible.

Each of the players in the contest writes a limerick about the other
player. The limerick may be silly, funny, and even ridicule the other
participant in a good-humored manner, as long as it is not offensive. The
limericks must be posted within 3 days of the start of the contest. If one
of the participants fails to post a limerick, then the other wins by
default. If neither post, the referee chooses a winner at random using the
AMD. 

Once both limericks have been posted, there is a 3 day voting period.
During the voting period all Ackanomic players may send their vote to the
referee, indicating which limerick is the better one, 

with an extra caveat, quoth here. The Poet Laureate (if there is one)
Shall, with his learned art gained quite so dear, Attempt to share and
increase the fun When the Poet's vote is count'd at the end, His one vote
shall instead be counted twice. The Poet may, if e does wish, then send A
public message, hopefully quite nice To praise the Duelist which had won
his vote Explaining why the Poet liked what e wrote. 

Also, each participant's Dueling Advantage is added to eir limerick's vote
total.

The participant whose limerick got the most votes wins the contest. In case
of a tie, the participant whose limerick was posted first wins the contest.
In the case that that does not determine a winner, the referee determines a
winner at random, using the AMD. If the winner is chosen at random, both
players shall be eligible, even if one or both are non-active. 

No Trophy is awarded to the winner of this contest. 
“

- -----

Amend Rule 1250.9/1 (Ghost) by replacing the portion of the current text 
which reads:
“
4. Rules 

The referee shall randomly assign each player a different integer ranging
from 1 to N, where N is the number of players in the game. Player 1 shall
play first, and after that, play shall proceed in order of increasing
number. Player 1 plays again just after the turn of the player with the
highest number. Each player's turn begins when the previous player's ends,
unless that player's play was a protest, in which case it begins when the
protest is resolved. Each player's turn shall last the lesser 
of three days or until that player plays. 
“
with:
“
4. Rules 

This game is Caste Compatible.

If the game is not a Duel then the referee shall randomly assign each
player a different integer ranging from 1 to N, where N is the number of
players in the game. Player 1 shall play first, and after that, play shall
proceed in order of increasing number. Player 1 plays again just after the
turn of the player with the highest number. Each player's turn begins when
the previous player's ends, unless that player's play was a protest, in
which case it begins when the protest is resolved. Each 
player's turn shall last the lesser of three days or until that player plays. 

If the game is a Duel then the referee shall determine the difference in
the participants' Dueling Advantages. The game shall proceed as follows:
(i) If the difference is zero (0) then turn order shall operate as if the
game was not a Caste Duel [see the second paragraph].
(ii) If the difference is one (1) then the player with the higher Dueling
Advantage chooses who will go first and then the turns will alternate for
the rest of the game.
(ii) If the difference is greater than one (1) then the player with the
higher Dueling advantage will be the first to take a turn.  This player
will take as many turns as the difference between the players scores before
passing the turn to eir opponent and continuing the game by alternating turns.
“

- -----

Create a rule numbered 1033 titled "Warrior Caste" with the text:
“
On each Monday at 12:01 AM the member of the Warrior Caste who is Overlord
to more players than any other member of the Warrior Caste is given the
Caste Title "Commander-in-Harf".  If there are ties, these are broken in
favor of whichever player most recently held a Caste Title.  Remaining ties
are broken randomly.

Members of the Warrior Caste have a Dueling advantage of one (1) except
during Jihad when it is two (2).

When the Ackanomic game state is changed to Jihad all Warriors must begin
gearing up for glorious battle, then the next day at 12:01AM every member
of the Warrior Caste will pay the standard harfer's fee to the Food Fund.
On each third day that Jihad continues, this payment will again be made to
the Food Fund.
“

- -----

***The rest of the proposal is stuff which allows the priests to regulate
aspects of public messages in a non-discriminatory though slightly
arbitrary way.  Priests get thralls enforcing the Cultural Code***

- -----
Create a rule numbered 1034 titled "Religious Caste" with the text:

On each Monday at 12:01 AM the member of the Religious Caste who is
Overlord to more players than any other member of the Religious Caste is
given the Caste Title "Embodied Harf".  If there are ties, these are broken
in favor of whichever player most recently held a Caste Title.  Remaining
ties are broken randomly.

When the Ackanomic game state is changed to Jihad all members of the
Religious Caste must begin meditating to "call Harf down" to aid the holy
Warriors of Acka, then the next day at 12:01AM every member of the
Religious Caste will pay the standard harfer's fee to the Food Fund.  On
each third day that Jihad continues, this payment will again be made to the
Food Fund.

- -----
Create a Rule numbered 1035 titled "Cultural Conduct Rule Suite” with the
text:
“
This is the head of the Cultural Conduct Rule Suite. 

[Follow this Link for Specific Rules in the Cultural Conduct Rule Suite] 

I. Adding Rules to the Cultural Conduct Rule Suite

Rules which are members of the Cultural Conduct Rule Suite may added by
normal proposal, by methods described in Rule 1031/0 (Grey Council), or as
noted in the member rules emselves.  Rules which are entered into the
Cultural Conduct Rule Suite may be repealed or amended by normal proposal,
by the methods outlined in Rule 1031/0 (Grey Council), by violating a
provision in Section III of this rule, or as noted in the member rules
emselves.  Rules in this Suite must contain the string “Cultural Conduct:”
in eir name if they are to create valid effects as described in Section II
of this Rule. 

II. Function

All rules which are members of the Cultural Conduct Rule Suite defer to
this rule.  The Cultural Conduct Rule Suite defers to all Rules except
members of itself. The Cultural Conduct Rule Suite exists to create
standards which public communication must follow. If a piece of public
communication seems to violate a standard created by a member of the
Cultural Conduct Rule Suite then a Crime of Cultural Heresy may have been
committed by the author of the communication.  This is determined by a CFCJ
which is submitted normally with the following exceptions:

1. It may only be submitted by a member of the Religious Caste.
2. Only a member of the Religious Caste may judge it.
3. No player who is within two Thralls from being Overlord of more than 60%
of all Active Players may make a CFCJ for a Crime of Cultural Heresy.
4. No player may call a CFCJ for a Crime of Cultural Heresy on emself.
5. The penalty for committing a Crime of Cultural Heresy is always to have
the guilty party’s Thrall Attribute changed to the name of the player who
made the CFCJ.

III. Limits on Members of the Cultural Conduct Rule Suite

1) No Cultural Conduct Rule shall create a standard which applies to
certain players, but not others.  All standards must apply to everyone
regardless of Caste, Score, Wealth, Entity Ownership, or other
individuating criteria.
2) No Cultural Conduct Rule shall create a standard to be applied to a Newbie.
3) No Cultural Conduct Rule shall create a standard which is impossible to
meet due to a game state which will remain in effect unless the rules are
changed.
4) No Cultural Conduct Rule shall effect private correspondence, even if
this correspondence becomes publicly knowable.
“

- -----

Create a Rule numbered 1035.1 titled "Cultural Conduct: Respecting the
Wise” with the text:
“
All public statements (those posted to [email-masked]) which
refer to any member of the Religious Caste by eir Player Name must do so
following the format “NAME, respects,” where “NAME” is the Player Name of
the member of the Religious Caste being referred to and “respects” is a
string of not more than four words, not previously used to comply with this
rule, which demonstrate the greatness of the referred to Religious Caste
member.
“

- -----

Create a Rule numbered 1035.2 titled "Cultural Conduct: Proper Harfspect”
with the text:
“
Section 1

Any Active Player may make a CSR which the name of one or more unique
entities to Section 2 of this rule.  Any unique entities listed in Section
2 must be referred to in all public statements (those posted to
[email-masked]) only in CAPS.  Mention must also be made to the
effect that the entities continue to be Harfy.

Section 2

Chartreuse Goose
Tammany
“

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 12:36:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Probabilistic Boon of the Ancients

> > # Player: Rex Mundi
> > # Reason: at AIGR for 3 days before gnomesday

> I dispute this.  The message that Rex Mundi used to get to the AIGR runs
> as follows:

> :Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 12:44:15 -0400 (EDT)
> :From: "Gavin M. Doig" <[email-masked]>
> :Subject: acka: Bandwagon

> :I go to the Ackanomic Institute of Genetic Replication.

> :Rex Mundi.

> It is stated that the Gnome arrives at noon, exactly.  Hence, when the
> Gnome did the present run, Rex had not yet been at the AIGR for 3 days.

I agree with Slakko, oddly enough.  It doesn't matter when the random
determination occurs, but when Rule 975 was applied, and that was at
noon.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.connect.ab.ca/~alfvaen/ )
Current Album--The Nixons:Foma
Current Book--S.M. Stirling:Marching Through Georgia
All questions asked by five watch experts amazed the judge.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 12:43:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3465 rejected

> Weishaupt                               [Weishaupt is no longer pending]

Question: "Weishaupt" or "Wieshaupt"?

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.connect.ab.ca/~alfvaen/ )
Current Album--The Nixons:Foma
Current Book--S.M. Stirling:Marching Through Georgia
Be spontaneous.......combust.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 12:48:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3471 accepted

> Proposal 3471 - Sat 22 Aug 1998 03:40 EDT
> Just my Finger
> K 2 (Kelly Kelly)
> 
> This is a Modest Proposal.
> Debunk Rule 594.24 (Blueprint: Finger of Justice).

Another Null Proposal, in case you all hadn't already noticed....

b

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 12:55:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3465 rejected

>> Weishaupt                               [Weishaupt is no longer pending]
> 
> Question: "Weishaupt" or "Wieshaupt"?

Well, JT spelled it Weishaupt three times and Wieshaput once, so I
figured it was the former. (Also it sounds like an Anglicization of
German for "white chief" or something like that.)

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 13:28:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3465 rejected

> >> Weishaupt                               [Weishaupt is no longer pending]

> > Question: "Weishaupt" or "Wieshaupt"?

> Well, JT spelled it Weishaupt three times and Wieshaput once, so I
> figured it was the former. (Also it sounds like an Anglicization of
> German for "white chief" or something like that.)

Well, seeing as e put "Robert Anton Wilson" in eir Literature CSR,
I'd hazard that it might be some reference to the Illuminatus! Trilogy,
wherein I believe Weishaupt was the founder(?) of the Bavarian Illuminati,
also known as George Washington.  (Thence, a manipulative politician
with a white wig in "Cerebus", as well.)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.connect.ab.ca/~alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--The Roches:Too Tough Hide
Current Book--S.M. Stirling:Marching Through Georgia
The Salmon Of Correction:  A useful creature for whapping those who annoy you.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 13:32:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Retractions?

Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> > > 2. Did K 2 ever retract his batch of verbless blueprint-referencing
> > > Proposals?  I don't have a record of that in my pointlogs either.
>
> > yes. On or about the 17 Aug 1998 09:38:08 - let me know how this effects
> > things.
>
> Well, it seems that there were eight retractions there, so 16 points less
> for you, and thus A$16 less on those Fortnightly Dividends and A$16 less
> at the end of the Cycle.

and hence A$1 less tax :)

While I'm here I shall reveal that I forgot to process the highlander
trinket
transfers and gave myself my boon before calculating tax thus the
following taxes applied:
JT: 164
JM: 28
else: 38
Vynd: 196
K 2: 188

>
>
> --
> --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.connect.ab.ca/~alfvaen/ )
> Current Album--Beck:Odelay
> Current Book--S.M. Stirling:Marching Through Georgia
> You will not swallow every sugar-rock you find.  --billbill

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 13:33:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3457 accepted

JT wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Bernard El-Hagin wrote:
> >>     YES:
> >> Rig R. Mortis
> >
> >Hey man, I am a Warrior, you hear me, W-A-R-R-I-O-R! Get with it
> >little nomicbot-dude. :)
>
> Being a warrior has nothing to do with nomic-bot results.  K 2's page
> is the one that should track it.  If he hasn't acknowledged it on his page
> yet, you should talk to him.
>

I have em listed as "a brutal Warrior" :)

at least I'm not "of Religious persuasion", tho I like to think of
myself as
"an industrious Worker", but brutal is close enough :)

K 2

> --JT
>
> [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
> [ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
> [ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
> [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V3 #203
***********************************