Subject: acka-research-digest V3 #192
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest     Tuesday, August 18 1998     Volume 03 : Number 192

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 01:49:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3450

On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
>> >Proposal 3450
>> >New Clear Child
>> >Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)
>
>> >{{The player currently or formerly known as Mr. Tambourine Man receives
>> >the title of Vile Prophet.}}
>
>> The meaning behind this one escapes me.
>
>And Mr. Tambourine Man was just complaining a few days ago about how e
>always seems to get the same page(s) in the Ackanomicon...

Heh.. I hadn't even connected the two. :/

Must sleep.  Must *NOT* watch any more anime where the ending is more
confusing than the series.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 02:24:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC proposal

On Mon, 17 Aug 1998 [email-masked] wrote:

> Suppose I add to my suggestion the sentence
> --
> If this procedure can not be followed, the number will not be chosen
> until it can be chosen in accordance with the rules. No player
> shall suffer any penalty for obeying this clause.
> ---
> Then under 230/II nothing will happen, neutering the responsible rules
> without our having to decide which they are.  The choice will be put
> off indefinitely.

This seems like it should work.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, Clerk of the Court, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 09:17:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3450

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, JT wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
> >> >Proposal 3450
> >> >New Clear Child
> >> >Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)
> >
> >> >{{The player currently or formerly known as Mr. Tambourine Man receives
> >> >the title of Vile Prophet.}}
> >
> >> The meaning behind this one escapes me.
> >
> >And Mr. Tambourine Man was just complaining a few days ago about how e
> >always seems to get the same page(s) in the Ackanomicon...
> 
> Heh.. I hadn't even connected the two. :/
> 
> Must sleep.  Must *NOT* watch any more anime where the ending is more
> confusing than the series.
> 
> --JT

Video Girl Ai?

Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 11:47:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3450

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:
>
>Video Girl Ai?

No.. Evangelion actually.   I don't usually watch anime, but a friend
convinced me that Evangelion actually had a plot and some depth.  (Long
story all around as to why I generally don't like anime, etc.. ask me
privately if you are really curious :)  So I watched it.  The series up-to
the last tape was interesting for the most part (heck, even the
introspection episodes weren't too bad).  But the last tape was all
introspection and didn't resolve any of the questions I still had about
the entire series (like, WHY were the angels there to begin with).  The
last tape was a self-absorbed angstful dialogue that I could have lived
happily without seeing.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 14:02:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3450

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, JT wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, John Frederic Mc Coy wrote:
> >
> >Video Girl Ai?
> 
> No.. Evangelion actually.   I don't usually watch anime, but a friend
> convinced me that Evangelion actually had a plot and some depth.  (Long
> story all around as to why I generally don't like anime, etc.. ask me
> privately if you are really curious :)  So I watched it.  The series up-to
> the last tape was interesting for the most part (heck, even the
> introspection episodes weren't too bad).  But the last tape was all
> introspection and didn't resolve any of the questions I still had about
> the entire series (like, WHY were the angels there to begin with).  The
> last tape was a self-absorbed angstful dialogue that I could have lived
> happily without seeing.
> 
> --JT

Yeah, I hate how they do that.  I never did see the end of that series,
but I'd say your typical anime will go on for about a dozen episodes, and
then end suddenly and inconclusively.  Video Girl Ai is exceptional
because its only 4 episdoes long, the first three of which are entirely
lucid, and the last of which goes way out into bizaro land and never comes
back at all.

My theory, they do these shows not knowing how long they're going to be
able to keep going, and usually that means they have to throw an ending
together that, frankly, isn't any good.  In any event, it does seem to be
almost as common as guys with swords and blue hair and phsychic middle
school girls with, lets face it, awfuly large breasts.

Vynd, who mostly watches anime so he can critique it afterwards.

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 14:41:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Michael Pizolato" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3450

Vynd wrote:
:Yeah, I hate how [Anime does] that.  I never did see the end of that
series,
:but I'd say your typical anime will go on for about a dozen episodes, and
:then end suddenly and inconclusively.  Video Girl Ai is exceptional
:because its only 4 episdoes long, the first three of which are entirely
:lucid, and the last of which goes way out into bizaro land and never comes
:back at all.
:
:My theory, they do these shows not knowing how long they're going to be
:able to keep going, and usually that means they have to throw an ending
:together that, frankly, isn't any good.  In any event, it does seem to be
:almost as common as guys with swords and blue hair and phsychic middle
:school girls with, lets face it, awfuly large breasts.

Aw, that's the only reason I like Anime: "middle school girls with...awfully
large breasts." ;-)

My ex-girlfriend describes most "comic-book women" as "superheroes whose
main super-power is to stay in those outfits." OK by me.

Piz

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 23:14:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3447

Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

>  K 2, I hereby Excommunicate thee from the Church of Azpiazu
> for even suggesting this foul action, and encourage all pious followers
> of Azpiazu to vote against this heinous Proposal.
>

Ooops :)

k 2

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 23:20:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3447

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, K2 wrote:

> Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
> 
> >  K 2, I hereby Excommunicate thee from the Church of Azpiazu
> > for even suggesting this foul action, and encourage all pious followers
> > of Azpiazu to vote against this heinous Proposal.
> >

Perhaps he was only suggesting that Azpiazu examine its foundations, so it
didn't stagnate?

rufus

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V3 #192
***********************************