Subject: acka-research-digest V3 #178
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest     Wednesday, August 5 1998     Volume 03 : Number 178

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 18:42:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : Yet Another New Order

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Towsner wrote:

> >Another, unrelated idea, but that could be easily combined with any
> >system, is to open up some roles for free enterprise. Let us take the
> >Promoter's job. Why have only one Promoter. We could have some officiating
> >body grant Promoting licenses.  Instead of being paid by the Treasury,
> >Promoters would be paid by the players submitting proposals. And
> 	I really like this one.  We could do it with other offices too.
> Have the CotC only handle CFJ's, and let PWCFJ's, CWCJF's, and CCFJ's all
> be handled by contractors.  There could be three different licenses, or
> just one Clerk license.  Well we're at it, why not do it with the
> Tabulator.  Each Promotor has to have a contract with a Tabulator so that
> proposals submitted to them can be counted.  We wouldn't be able to
> eliminate A$ with this, but I think this would work better without points.
> As far as I can tell this is incompatible with the point pool, although not
> with the thrall system.

I'll keep the discussion to the Promoteer for now, because that's the one
I see most clearly. I think there is no incompatibility with a Point Pool.
The Point Pool has a player submitting a proposal investing a certain
number of points in the proposal. The Promoter fee ups the cost a bit. I
think an imaginative Promoter can do with Promoting what IdiotBoy once did
with PFBonds.
I can imagine a Promoter posting a price list with prices for Modest
proposals, for normal ones, and for Grandiose ones. With specials offers
on bunches of proposals, and partial refunds on streaks, no refund for
retractions policy, etc.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 19:15:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Misc

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, JT wrote:

> If I did this, I'd probably make it so that any player who wanted to play
> Party Chess could (There certainly seems to be enough people interested in
> playing, and doing that wouldn't cause anyone else who cannot play to
> start playing, nor would it force anyone new to play)

I tried this once.  My method was to ensure that there is always one
Capital Office in the Treasury for purchase, regardless of the number of
existing offices.  Said proposal failed miserably.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - Web-Harfer,RuneMaker,ChessUmpire,Map-Harfer - www.ackanomic.org

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 19:19:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Misc

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:
>> If I did this, I'd probably make it so that any player who wanted to play
>> Party Chess could (There certainly seems to be enough people interested in
>> playing, and doing that wouldn't cause anyone else who cannot play to
>> start playing, nor would it force anyone new to play)
>
>I tried this once.  My method was to ensure that there is always one
>Capital Office in the Treasury for purchase, regardless of the number of
>existing offices.  Said proposal failed miserably.

I'd probably make it really cheap (like effectively free).  I don't see
why people should have to pay to play Party chess, but that's just me :)

- --JT (yes, I'd refund the currently purchasable seats as well if I did
this)

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 20:00:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka : Yet Another New Order

>I can imagine a Promoter posting a price list with prices for Modest
>proposals, for normal ones, and for Grandiose ones. With specials offers
>on bunches of proposals, and partial refunds on streaks, no refund for
>retractions policy, etc.
	But most of those don't make sense with Pools.  In the pool draft I
had, points are a fixed commodity, so there are no gradiose/modest
proposals and no streaks.

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Thank heavens, the sun has gone in, and I don't have to go out and
enjoy it.
		-Logan Pearsall Smith

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 20:12:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Plumb <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3324 accepted

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, nomicbot wrote:

> Results of Proposal 3324
> 
> 16/24 votes: Quorum achieved
> 12/17 YES votes: Proposal accepted
> 
> > Proposal 3324 - Tue 28 Jul 1998 10:29 EDT
> > The Great Debunk
> > K 2 (Kelly Kelly)
> > 
> > {{The Great Debunk hearing is called}}
> > 

Who, may I ask, is the Hearing Harfer for this?  Or are votes to be cast
publically?

- -867-5309

1024x768x256... Sounds like one mean woman. 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 20:17:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3324 accepted

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Eric Plumb wrote:
>Who, may I ask, is the Hearing Harfer for this?  Or are votes to be cast
>publically?

From rule 360
Count Tabula shall be the Hearing Harfer unless the rules specify someone
else for that duty for a particular Hearing. The Hearing Harfer is
considered an officer with respect to clauses in the rules regulating
officer efficiency.

I'm not sure if we have to wait for him to call it or if it was called by
the rules automatically and we just have to vote though.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V3 #178
***********************************