Subject: acka-research-digest V3 #176
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest     Wednesday, August 5 1998     Volume 03 : Number 176

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 00:50:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: PayDay

> 3/08/98 12:00 A$ Brie Clump -18; Feed For The Chartreuse Goose

Last I saw, this had finally been changed to the Standard Harfer Fee.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Sarah McLachlan:Rarities, B-Sides, & Other Stuff
Current Book--Stephen King:The Mouse On The Mile
King Alexander was just partly overcome after quizzing Diogenes in his tub.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 00:54:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Acka: Misc

As regards anti-voting, my reason for supporting it has always been
the same:  If you vote for or against a Proposal and it passes or fails
as you wanted, then you get the satisfaction of knowing that things
happened as you wished, otherwise you get points as a consolation prize.

As Scorekeeper, I oppose the repeal of points.  :-)  I'd rather see
Malenkai's mana idea, actually, which is sort of like spending points
on Proposals and votes and such.

I also like the thrall idea, in general, although in general I'd rather
see ways that players become _other_ players' thralls than being able
to declare another player one's thrall.  But that might make strategic
play more difficult...

If my "Xagyg" proposal passes, maybe we can start trying to gain
Experience Points instead.  :-)

Oh, and not to nag, but who found the Magic Potato yesterday?

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Sarah McLachlan:Rarities, B-Sides, & Other Stuff
Current Book--Stephen King:The Mouse On The Mile
And the needers all insist upon it.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 01:11:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Misc

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
>As regards anti-voting, my reason for supporting it has always been
>the same:  If you vote for or against a Proposal and it passes or fails
>as you wanted, then you get the satisfaction of knowing that things
>happened as you wished, otherwise you get points as a consolation prize.

Y'know, that's the best reason I've heard for keeping anti-voting, but
it's still not enough to change my idea.

>As Scorekeeper, I oppose the repeal of points.  :-)  I'd rather see
>Malenkai's mana idea, actually, which is sort of like spending points
>on Proposals and votes and such.
>
>I also like the thrall idea, in general, although in general I'd rather
>see ways that players become _other_ players' thralls than being able
>to declare another player one's thrall.  But that might make strategic
>play more difficult...

See my comments about Fuedalities :) I'll give the slightly longer than
brief summary here.

Each player starts as a Fuedality and is Prince of his fuedality.
Whenever the member of one Feudality beats a member of another feudality
in a duel and the loser's honor is brought to 0 or less through the duel,
he  switches allegience to the fuedality of the victor. (note, there could
be other ways of switching allegience)
If ever a player is Prince of a Fuedality with a size larger than 60% of
the player population of Acka, that player becomes King.  (becoming King
grants the King a Winning condition and all players become their own
fuedality again)
A player with 0 or less honor may not be challenged in a duel (but may
issue challenges)

There could also be benefits to having subjects (like perhaps being able
to force them to vote your way on one proposal each week or something)

If I were to try and institute this I'd probably try to remove political
parties (which would have the benefit of opening Party Chess up to more
people as well)

>If my "Xagyg" proposal passes, maybe we can start trying to gain
>Experience Points instead.  :-)

Feh :)  Couldn't you have chosen a better RPG to base on :) (personal pet
peeve :)

Actually, if your Xagyg proposal passes, I have one I'm going to submit
which allows one to define a 'test of <stat>' so that one can
do something useful in that respect :)

Something along the lines of for a contest of <stat> the OiCoRT (or
some other officer) rolls 3d6 for each player in the contest.  Whoever
makes their test by the most or fails it by the least (if all fail) wins
the contest.

Frex: Foo has a 10 Str and Baz has an 18 Str.  The OiCoRT rolls a 3 for
Foo and a 14 for Baz.    Foo wins the contest (even though he has the
lower Str -- This allows some element of randomness in the test)
If both miss then the person who misses by least wins the contest.
(this would be default behavior of course)

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 02:35:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Intriguing Suggestion

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Towsner wrote:

> >1. I think that 60% would be too low a figure and too easily obtainable.
> >80% would probably be better. (Given that quite often players will submit
> >many consecutive prposals.)
> 	Agreed.  Maybe there should also be a maximum number of players you
> can be enthralled to.

Actually, I said there was such a limit in my original message - 1.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - Web-Harfer,RuneMaker,ChessUmpire,Map-Harfer - www.ackanomic.org

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 03:41:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: Mueller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Intriguing Suggestion

Brie Clump wrote:
>>There was one system I have seen in another Nomic.  It didn't last long
>>there (it was an Imperial game which was won too quickly), but it suffered
>>there from too few players.  With Acka's size, it might be a bit more
>>reasonable.
>>
>>The idea is that each person is in "thrall" to one other player, or to
>>no-one.  Cycles of thrall may exist.  Thrall represents some kind of
>>power...
>>Each time you submit a proposal, one name must be sent, in secret, to an
>>Officer (whether this be the Promoter or someone new, I don't know).  If
>>the proposal passes, that player becomes "in thrall" to you...  
>>Any comments?
>
>I like it. However:...
>4. I would suggest a new office be created if we do this. Presumably
>however, e would be unable to win by this method. Special compensation
>would presumably need to be made for this,otherwise there would be no
>motivation for this player to propose things and no penalty for eir
>proposal's failing.

I could see the advantage to holding this office being intrinsic to the
office's lack of thrall power.  Only the Thrallmaster would have "nothing
going" in with eir proposals.  Every other proposal would be assumed to
contain a strategic purpose.  The Thrall master would therefore be able to
make proposals that were uniquely immune to this sort of anti-voting rational.

Unless it is impossible to tell who made a proposal... I'm not sure about
that, being a Newbie.

That said, the Thrallmaster would have two incentives to make proposals
IMHO: (1) Making a good rule, and (2) proposing an idea that someone really
wants passed for them in exchange for influence.  

Presumably there would still be other methods of achieving a win condition,
the Thrallmaster would have to make do with having a better chance of
winning by these and playing with people's hopes of a non-anti-voted
proposal in exchange for this loss of a normal thrall win.

I also like the personal side of thralls, points are very cold.

Studge

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 05:06:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka cowering in fear

> I am sitting here cowering in fear....should we not be expecting the
> results of about a gazillion votes Real Soon Now?

You think YOU'RE cowering in fear....

Dear me. Last August was the quietest month the game ever saw. What
happened this time around? Major discussion of the basic game
structure, names changing left and right, and FOUR new players. (Did
someone go and advertise us on Usenet again?)

But a great big honking welcome to all the new players, and to
Robin Hood as well (whom I can still remember from the first time).
Hope you'll all decide to stick around.

By the way, I'm not going to question the decision to treat the latest
attempted use of a The Really Big Blue Thing That Doesn't Do Too Much,
Really as being fatally ambiguous, but I have to wonder how ambiguous
it could be, given that "B. Rice Lump" could hardly be taken an
anagram of "Tom Walmsley". (That said, I do hope people are going to
lay off with the Blue Things for a bit. My head is spinning.)

Anyway, I just wanted to note that I seem to be caught up with all the
player state changes, so as soon as I finish tabulating everything
(and please, folks, refrain from sending your votes to the public fora
if you can help it; if the nomicbot is giving you grief, drop me a
line and we'll see what's what), I'll be releasing a flood of proposal
results - followed by, more like than not, a flood of new proposals.
(Brace yourselves.)

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 05:31:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Anti-voting

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> >I only suggest changes that to me seem to provide real value.  I'm not
> >sure everyone makes those judgements before submitting proposals.  
> 
> Point taken. I'm probably not as discriminatory about which proposals I
> submit as I could be. I suppose that just boils down to differing ideologies.
> 
> >Repealing anti-voting plays into the hands of the voting fascists. I
> >think anti-voting provides a conveient smoke screen for those not as
> >willing to tick people off as I am.  Or those afraid of offending some
> >elder (note the small e) of the game.  While I don't remember ever
> >anti-voting, I do remember being afraid of offending Malenkai when I first
> >joined the game.
> 
> Heheh, yes. Back when I first joined the game I generally just voted for
> things I didn't understand if they were from someone like Malenkai. That
> was more because I guessed they'd probably be a good thing than because I
> was afraid of offending him though

In my experience, most proposals that no one understands are just not
written very well - and that includes some of my own proposals.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 05:37:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proxy

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, K2 wrote:

> Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
> 
> > I suggest The Church of Seleya bury all its trinkets as a treasure, with
> > the map "This treasure shall be found by whoever /dev/joe says, whenever
> > he says it has been found."  I approve of this suggestion.  (JT and
> > Brie Clump need to approve.)
> > /dev/joe
> 
> Do they? I think as founder (specially since Niccolo's proposal passed) it
> happens, unless you appraise the org-harfer of sufficient church policy to
> determine the required conditions.
> 
> K 2

Trinkets were managed by the Church Founder even before that recent
proposal. Either way K 2 is correct. The Organizational Action rules allow
other rules to specify other ways of carrying out Organizational Actions,
and the Church does just that. Unless the org-harfer was notified that
Church Policy states a different method, then it is sufficient for
/dev/joe, as Founder of Seleya to state that the Church is carrying out
the Action, as this is an implicit suggestion and approval, exactly as he
would do for a player Action.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 05:44:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Intriguing Suggestion

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Brandon Ray wrote:

> 
> Thrallmaster!
> 
> > Presumably
> > however, e would be unable to win bythis method. Special compensation
> > would presumably need to be made for this,otherwise there would be no
> > motivation for this player to propose things and no penalty for eir
> > proposal's failing.
> 
> Hmmm
Let's skip the first ThrallMaster for a moment. How about, the person who
wins by this method becomes the ThrallMaster. So he is only ineligible
until someone else wins by the same method.
Niccolo Flychuck

> 
> >
> >
> > 5. Above all, it keeps the proposals as a method to win problem which might
> > not be a good thing.
> 
> As I am new...could you expound a bit on the problem referenced here?
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 07:01:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Duncan C. \"Slakko\" Richer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Leaving

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, K2 wrote:

> As a result of Brie Clump and else...if leaving, Klingon has exactly one
> member
> - Rex Mundi, who may optionally transfer (as an org action) the A$20 to
> emself...

And who is quite welcome to become Klingon Swinger...

- -- 
Duncan C. "oh yeah, we need a new Swinger for the AVPP" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer - www.ackanomic.org

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 07:14:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Intriguing Suggestion

>> 5. Above all, it keeps the proposals as a method to win problem which might
>> not be a good thing.
>
>As I am new...could you expound a bit on the problem referenced here?

It's not a large problem. Having accepted proposals as, essentially, a
winning condition is something that some players don't like. This is
because it becomes good strategy to inundate the promoter, and the game,
with huge numbers of proposals.

Brie Clump.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 08:49:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (L'homme a tete de choux)
Subject: Acka: that old chestnut

>Then don't deliberately misread things. This argument is getting nasty
>enough without people deliberately misinterpretting things or twisting
>other people's words.

Sorry, I don't wish to be antagonistic, not to anyone.

>However, just because a player wannts to see a proposal
>addopted doesn't necessarily mean they will vote yes. Some of them might
>anti-vote. And don't say this doesn't happen, because it does.

I suppose it depends how much they really want the proposal to pass. 

From now on I shall publically announce each time I anti-vote. That way, there
can be no confusion. I am anti-voting on Proposal 3350.

Ethelred

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 09:42:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3333 accepted

I've never been particularly fond of Bonus Votes, but right now I
think I hate them.

*sigh*

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 12:02:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Point Pool RFC

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Towsner wrote:

> 	I'm sure I missed a few things, but here's a first draft...
> 
> #submit Let's all go point swimming
> 	In rule 207 (Scoring when a proposal's voting results are reported)
> alter section III to read as delimited by HOKEYPOKEY
> HOKEYPOKEY
> 	If a proposal is accepted or rejected the points invested by each
> player are transfered to the point pool for that proposal.  If a player
> does not have enough points then that player transfers all eir points to
> the pool and does not receive any points for the proposal even if e
> normally would.  All players who voted on the victorious side receive back
> the number of points they invested in their vote from the pool for that
> proposal.  The points remaining in the pool are distributed one by one to
> the player who has so far received the fewest points from this proposal and
> invested the most points; if multiple players satisfy this condition one is
> selected randomly.  This continues until there are no more points in the
> pool for that proposal.
> HOKEYPOKEY
> 

This is pretty cool.  I guess this was kinda hastily written, and as much
as I believe in loose construction.. this probably needs to be tightened
up for an actual proposal.  I don't know if I like that you get back all
of your points.  The problem is that a player with 9000 points could
overwhelm all the others who have only 400 each (these are, in fact,
completely made up numbers, just like they sound).. There's no risk to the
guy who does that, cos he'll assuredly get back his points when the voting
is completed.  (Plus some, maybe?)

Here's an idea.  The pool is split up by ratios of points spent on
"correct"  voting.. so if one guy puts in 10% of the total YES votes on  
a proposal which passes, he recieves 10% of the pool.  Anything left over
due to rounding problems goes to the Treasury.  There should be a limit to
this (if more than 50% of the pool would be distributed to one player, his
winings are limited to 50% of the pool.  The rest of his wining are
(distributed among the other winners || given to the treasury) [I'd say
the treasury.. we stand a good chance of bankrupting the tresury of points
under this system.  Can you say taxation?]   

> 	Replace the first paragraph of rule 104 with "A Voting player may
> submit a proposal by sending its text to the Promoter along with the number
> of points e is investing on it, who shall then post it publicly to be voted
> on. The number of points invested may not be posted publicly until the
> proposal's results are announced."
> 

See this is WAY better than my idea.. I thik this porposal is REALLY
important.. so I'll put 100 points into the pool to kick things off.  It
will encourage voting on it.. and hopefully voting in the affirmative, I
guess... hrmm.. seems like the proposer should get a kick back of somekind
if this "bribe" fails.. perhaps the proposer gets back 50% of his poits if
the proposal fails.  I know it seems counter intuitive. 

> 	At the end of the first sentence of rule 106 add "along with, if
> the vote is either YES or NO, the number of points e is investing."
> 

We'll, of course need to make sure to give breadbox fair warning (I'd say
2 weeks) if this were to come into existence.)   

> 	Remove "lose 5 points and" from section IV of rule 207.
> 
> 	Remove section V of rule 207 and renumber the other elements in the
> list accordingly.
> 
> 	Alter the second sentence of section V (formerly VI) of rule 207 to
> read "When a Null Proposal is accepted all players receive the number of
> points they invested in it from the proposal's pool."
> 

This seems reasonable, if you mean the pool of votes.. the proposer should
forfeit his intial investment. 

> 	Alter the second sentence of section VI (formerly VII) of rule 207
> to read "When a Boring Proposal is accepted or rejected all players receive
> the number of points they invested in it from the proposal's pool."
> 

Ok.

> 	Repeal rule 207.1 (Sillyness)  {{[Yes, I like it too.  I'd really
> like someone to find a way to reincorporate it, but I'll leave it to
> someone else.]}}
> 
> 	Repeal rule 207.3 (Foolishness) {{[See above]}}
> 
> 	Repeal rule 210 (Literature) {{[Once again...]}}
> 

These all seem reasonable.. even tho I love foolishness

> 	In rule 213 (Delivering Judgement) remove "em to be penalized 10
> points,"
> 
> 	In rule 250 (Player States) remove step d from section VI and
> reletter the steps accordingly.
> 
> 	In rule 313 (Bribes) remove from section V.C "the author of that
> proposal loses 15 points, and"
> 
> 	Remove rule 319 (Unanimity is Lovely...)
> 
> 	In rule 330 (Retractions) alter the last sentence of the first
> paragraph to read "A player other than a newbie who retracts eir own
> proposal in this manner loses all points invested in it, they are
> transferred to the treasury.  A newbie has eir investment returned  All
> other points invested in the proposal are returned to their investors."
> 

Hrmmm.. I thik they shouldn't lose all the points.. otherwise they won't
ever retract.. i always thought retarction was the wusses way out anyway..
so I'd be infavor of a complete removal.

> 	In rule 330 remove everything in the second paragraph after and
> including "unless".
> 
> 	In rule 330 remove the third sentence of the third paragraph.
> 
> 	Remove the last sentence of rule 330.
> 
> 	Remove "gain one extra point and" from rule 344 (Weasel Words)
> 
> 	In rule 374 (Politeness Moon) alter the last two sentences to read
> "If the verdict of the Hearing shows that the message was not polite, 3
> points are transferred from the player who sent it to the player who called
> the Hearing.  If it shows that it was polite, its author gets the nickname
> Jazz JackRabbit for the next 3 days and the player who called the hearing
> transfers 2 points to the author."
> 
> 	In rule 404 (Impeachment) replace "is penalized 10 points" with
> "transfers 10 points to the player the IP was called against"
> 
> 	Remove the second sentence of secton III of rule 419.2 (Internomic
> Interface)
> 
> 	Remove the last sentence of rule 437 (Providing Meaning Where We Can)
> 
> 	Remove the first two sentences of section III of rule 593
> (Ackanomic Research Guild)
> 
> 	In rule 603 (Winning by Points) replace the second two sentences of
> the third paragraph with "The base value of the magic number is 200."
> 
> 	Replace the second sentence of rule 603 with "Points are tradeable
> entities, however any trade which would cause a player to have transfered
> more that 10% of the points e has fails."
> 

I think this needs to be worked on a bit.. what we need is a way to
prevent obvious abuse (all the SHEEP decide to transfer their points to
Slakko on Friday to give him a win), without limiting large scale trade of
REAL value.  I don't know how to solve that exactly.

Also, i think it is important that there is NO easy way to get points if
you run out (an automatic payment system or whatever)..  
 
> 	Remove everything after the semicolon in the second paragraph of
> rule 603.
> 
> 	In rule 666 (End of Cycle) alter section i to read "Any player
> owning more than double the amount they would own if points were
> distributed evenly loses one quarter of their points, which go into the
> winning pool.  Those points are distributed one-by-one to the player who
> owns the fewest points until there are no points left.  This repeats until
> no player owns more than double the amount they would if points were
> distributed evenly.

Elegant.

> 
> 	Remove the last sentence of the third paragraph of rule 620
> (Chartreuse Goose).
> 
> 	From rule 666, remove step d and reletter accordingly.
> 
> 	In rule 670 (Commision d'Arts) remove the last sentence of section 4.
> 
> 	Remove everything in section 7 of rule 670 after the last comma.
> 
> 	Remove 5a from rule 710 (Criminal Justice) and reletter accordingly.
> 
> 	Remove the last sentence of option 5 of rule 812 (Down the River)
> 
> 	Replace the last sentence of the first paragraph of rule 901 (The
> Magic Potato) with "When a proposal made by the player who currently holds
> the Magic Potato is accepted, e shall be treated as if e invested 3 extra
> points for the purpose of distributing the points of the players who voted
> NO."

Ok.. these points have to come from somewhere.. the Treasury?

> 
> 	Remove the last sentence of rule 901.
> 
> 	Remove the last sentence of the third paragraph of rule 903 (Steel
> Flea)
> 
> 	Remove "and e will lose the 6 points awarded previously, and will
> be fined another 6 points for selfishly keeping Phoebe's wisdom to emself"
> from rule 903.
> 

[Transferred to the tresaury?]

Probably just need a way to say "If a rule says lose points it means
tranfer points to the treasury.  if t says gain points it means get points
from the treasury."

> 	Remove "and is fined 3 points for being so careless" from rule 903.
> 
> 	In rule 910 replace:
> 
> "Vile prophecies (5 pages): These are pages describing all manner of
> terrible events that are to befall the reader in the near future. The
> reader of one of these pages suffers a loss of 5 points.
> 
> Inner workings (5 pages): These pages give glimpses into some of the basic
> workings of the universe of mortal men, at a price. The reader gains A$50,
> but loses 5 points."
> 
> with:
> 
> 	"Vile prophecies (5 pages): These are pages describing all manner
> of terrible events that are to befall the reader in the near future. The
> reader of one of these pages is such a gibbering wreck that e is unable to
> leave the library for the next week.
> 
> 	Inner workings (5 pages): These pages give glimpses into some of
> the basic workings of the universe of mortal men, at a price. The reader
> gains A$50, but is such a gibbering wreck that e is unable to leave the
> library for the next week."
> 
> 	In rule 910 replace "Terrorizing pages (3 pages): These pages
> inspire indescribable terror in all who read them, causing a loss of 15
> points. " with "Terrorizing pages (3 pages): These pages inspire
> indescribable terror in  all who read them, preventing em from making any
> proposals for one week."
> 
> 	In rule 910 remove "loses 20 points, and"
> 
> 	In rule 913 (Parades) remove the last sentence of the second
> paragraph.  Remove the third and fourth paragraphs.
> 
> 	In rule 915 (Foreheads) replace "loses two points" with "transfers
> 2 points to the player who called the hearing"
> 
> 	Remove rule 919 (Brass Monkey)
> 
> 	Remove the first sentence of the second paragraph of rule 927
> (Chocolate Frog)
> 
> 	Remove the last sentence of the second to last paragraph of rule
> 961(B-Ack) as well as the last paragraph.
> 
> 	Remove 3a from rule 1044 and reletter accordingly.
> 
> 	Remove "5 points (a score change based on proposal content) and"
> from rule 1112
> 
> 	Remove "When a player is designated "Funky and Stylish", they gain
> 5 points" from rule 1112
> 
> 	Replace "the penalized player's score (after having the penalty
> revoked) will be raised to the first prime number higher than their current
> score" with "the penalty will be revoked" in rule 1129
> 
> 	Remove section 8 of rule 1211 and reletter accordingly.
> 
> 	Remove the last sentence of the first paragraph of section H of
> rule 1213.
> 
> 	In rule 1215, replace "When the Duel is over, the winner of the
> Duel receives 6 points in
> addition to any rewards or penalties he may have received as part of the
> Contest itself. The loser of the Duel loses 6 points in addition to any
> rewards or penalties he may have received as part of the Contest itself.
> The winner's Second receives 3 points, the loser's Second loses 3 points.
> "
> 	with "When the Duel is over, the winner of the Duel receives 6
> points from the loser. The winner's Second receives 3 pointsfrom the
> loser's second.
> "
> 	and "When a duel is forfeited, the player who forfeited loses 6
> points, and his opponent in the duel gains 6 points." with "When a duel is
> forfeited, the player who forfeited transfers 6 points to the winner."
> 
> 	Remove the last sentence of section 4 of rule 1216.
> 
> 	Remove rule 1313 (tornado)
> 
> 	Remove the last sentence of the second to last paragraph of rule 1350.
> 
> 	Remove the second to last sentence of 594.1
> 
> 	Repeal 594.3
> 
> 	Remove "e shall lose one point and" from rule 594.5
> 
> 	In 594.15, remove "The Laser will also deduct 5 points from the
> author of the Proposal's
> score, if the author is a player"
> 
> 	Remove item 4 from 594.21
> 
> 	Remove "The Player that currently holds Nyarlathotep will gain
> three extra points for each proposal of his that is accepted while he holds
> Nyarlathotep" from 594.23
> 
> 	Remove the last sentence of paragraph two of section III of rule 594.26
> 
> 	Remove ", and a player shall gain 6 points the first time e
> publically describes all four of the above" from 950.1
> #end
> 

Ok.. how do new players get points?  Do we tax all of the current players?
Take points from the treasury (which may result in an auto-tax?)

How many people are infavor of a system similar to this one?  You don't
have to comment on thespecifics, but if there is sufficient interest (this
is a big change), I'd liek to work with else...if to get this into a
workable form.

Actually, I yapped about something saying that we should be careful of the
guy with 9000 points.. but you do't ever say that points are weighting
votes.. so I was probably not making sense.

IB 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 13:03:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka cowering in fear

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> > I am sitting here cowering in fear....should we not be expecting the
> > results of about a gazillion votes Real Soon Now?
> 
> You think YOU'RE cowering in fear....
> 
> Dear me. Last August was the quietest month the game ever saw. What
> happened this time around? Major discussion of the basic game
> structure, names changing left and right, and FOUR new players. (Did
> someone go and advertise us on Usenet again?)

Shucks, I thought the Vulcan takeover would be remembered longer than
this...

Looking forward to Gnomesday,
                                Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 13:49:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Point Pool RFC

In a message dated 05/08/98  16:13:01, you write:

> 
>  How many people are infavor of a system similar to this one?  You don't
>  have to comment on thespecifics, but if there is sufficient interest (this
>  is a big change), I'd liek to work with else...if to get this into a
>  workable form.
>  
Sounds like an interesting idea, I'd probably vote for it.

Robin Hood

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 14:54:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RFC (long, very long)

Here is draft two. I've probably been a bit to radical this time because
I'm getting rid of A$ too. Modification of rules come first, then repeals
(well over 50) and then new rules. You'd probably be best off reading the
new rules first but it's up to you. I would appreciate any comments (
except for "It sucks". "It sucks because..." is fine though).

Mr. Tambourine Man.

- ------------------------------------------

#submit proposal Hawaii? Baby, we're goin' to Mars!!

Modify rule 104 to read in full:

"A Voting player may submit a proposal by sending its text to the Promoter,
who shall then post it publicly to be voted on. At the same time e should
include whether e wishes to gain a Chit on it's acceptance or wishes
another player to be placed in Thrall to em.. In the latter case e should
specify which player. This information should be posted by the propmoter
along with the proposal.

A player may submit no more than 5 proposals per calendar week. However, he
may spend a Chit to submit an extra proposal up to a maximum of 5 extra by
specifying that this is what e wishes to do when submitting the proposal.
The chit will then be destroyed once this has become publicly knowable. No
player may use a Chit in this way if e does not own one.

All proposals shall be voted on, unless they are retracted or deemed
invalid in accordance with the Rules. In these cases, they are removed from
consideration, and are considered to be neither accepted or rejected. 

As soon as possible after a proposal's prescribed voting period ends, the
votes on that proposal shall be posted publicly. The proposal is then
accepted if a quorum has been achieved and the required number of YES votes
were cast on the proposal. 

If a proposal is accepted, one of two things happen. If the proposal
consisted of a list of one-time effects, such as changes to the rules, then
those effects shall be applied, one at a time, in the order in which they
appear in the proposal. (Ambiguous, retroactive, and/or meaningless effects
are ignored.) 

Otherwise, the proposal itself changes from a proposal to a rule. [It is
assigned a title and number as described in Rules 301 and 303.] 

In addition, if the author specified that e wished to gain a Chit on the
passsage of the proposal then e shall do so. If e specified that e wished
another player to be placed in Thrall to em then this shall happen.

If neither of the above were specified then e shall gain a Chit.

Once a proposal has been properly distributed, none of its text may be
altered; likewise, its authorship and time of distribution cannot be changed."

- ----

Append the following text to the end of rule 106:

"Each player gets one vote automatically but may increase the number of
times they may vote on any one proposal by using a Chit. Each Chit used in
this way will entitle the player to one extra vote. A player may have a
maximum of four votes on any one proposal. Upon it becoming publically
knowable that aplayer has used a Chit in this way then the Chit woll be
destroyed."

- ----

In rule 213 delete the text:

" em to be penalized 10 points,".

- ----

In rule 217 delete:

"If the court agrees with the previous verdict, the player who lodged the
appeal shall be fined between 0 and 25 points for a frivolous appeal, with
the penalty to be 25 points unless the Justices specify otherwise. 

If the court disagrees with the previous verdict, then the verdict shall be
overturned to the new verdict, and all players who decided the previous
verdict [i.e. judge, or justice on a Cortex] shall be fined between 0 and
10 points, the penalty to be 1 unless the Justices specify otherwise.

Further, if the judgement (A) under appeal included a penalty for a
frivolous appeal or a judgement overturn, and judgement A is itself
overturned, then points shall be awarded to the parties penalised by
judgement (A) as described above, to exactly balance the points lost from
that judgement."

- ----

Delete section VI d) of rule 250 and relable all other subsections of
section VI of ths rule that carried a lable with a letter later in the
alphabet than d such that the new letter used is one position previous in
the alphabet to the old one.

- ----

From rule 252 delete section 4) and replace:

"2) The new player is paid from the Treasury the sum of A$900. "

with:

"The new player receives five Chits."

- ----

In rule 313 delete sections IV and V.

In the same rule replace:

"A. Casting a legal vote as defined by rule 106. 
B. Bribing Tammany by rule 315. 
C. Being part of a political party that gets a unity vote. 
D. Using a Bonus Vote by rule 317. "

with

"A. Casting a legal vote as defined by rule 106. 
B. Being part of a political party that gets a unity vote."

- ----

In rule 330 delete the following strings:

"A player who retracts his own proposal in this manner loses 2 points. "

"The player retracting the CFJ does not lose any points unless the CFJ was
a paradox win CFJ in which case e loses 3 points."

"The player retracting the submission loses 1 point. "

"Newbies shall not lose points as a result of this rule. "

- ----

Replace the entire text of rule 374 with the following:

"All players should try to be as polite as possible in all dealings with
other players."

- ----

In rule 401 replace the text:

"If the Rules specify that a particular Officer is to receive a specified
salary in A$s, then that number of A$ is transferred from the Treasury to
that Officer at noon on the first Monday of each month. "

with:

"If the Rules specify that a particular Officer is to receive a specified
salary in Chits, then that Officer receives that number of Chits at noon on
the first Monday of each month. "

- ----

In rule 403 replace:

"(ii) As a Privilege of Office, each Player shall receive a monthly salary
equal to the Standard Harfer Fee for every Functional Office held."

with:

"(ii) As a Privilege of Office, each Player shall receive a monthly salary
of one Chit for every Functional Office held."

- ----

In rule 404 replacce delete the following:

", and the author of the IP is penalized 10 points".

- ----

In rule 405 replace:

"(iii) As an additional Privilege of Office, the Speaker shall receive a
monthly salary equal to A$10 more than the Standard Harfer Fee. "

with:

"(iii) As an additional Privilege of Office, the Speaker shall receive a
monthly salary of two Chits."

- ----

Delete section II. of rule 415.

- ----

From rule 419.2 delete the following:

"If said Proposal is adopted by InterNomic, the player who requested it
receives 7 points upon the Liaison reporting the fact of its adoption to
Ackanomic. "

- ----

From rule 437 delete:

" loses 10 points and".
- ----

In rule 540.1 replace:

"Whenever a Player gains points from Rule 1112, eir Harf Value goes up by
the number of points e gains thereby."

with:

"Whenever a Player has a harfy proposal accepted in accordance with Rule
1112, eir Harf Value goes up by 5."

- ----

From rule 600 delete the strings "Rule 603, " and:

"A Cycle Win CFJ shall be judged INVALID if the Scorekeeper has judged its
author to have achieved a Winning Condition within the last 3 days, and
no-one has yet objected to the Scorekeeper's announcement."

- ----

ammend rule 605 by deleting the following text:

"This win, if it occurs, shall occur immediately after the score changes as
a result of the Proposal being accepted are applied. "

- ----

Modify rule 620 so that it reads in full:

"Let a unique, nontradeable, non-mimsy entity exist named the Chartreuse
Goose. 

A player who possesses the Chartreuse Goose may not win the Cycle except as
specified under Rule 600. This clause takes precedence over any other rule
which establishes winning conditions. 

The Chartreuse Goose (hereafter called "Goose") is transferred as specified
below. Other rules may specify other ways for it to be transferred. 

Conditions upon which the Goose is transferred: 

1) Upon a verdict of other than TRUE on a Winning Condition CFJ, the
initiator of the CFJ receives the Goose from wherever it is. 

2) Upon a verdict on a Winning Condition CFJ being overturned to TRUE, the
Goose goes Somewhere Else, if and only if the player possessing it was the
initiator of the CFJ in question. If this judgement is not overruled, then
the player who called for judgement is declared the winner of the cycle;
the win occurring at the time it becomes illegal to appeal the CFJ under
the current rules. 

Each of the following may be performed as a public action. Each of these
actions will fail if it is attempted between the time a Winning Condition
CFJ submitted by the Goose owner is publically knowable to have been judged
TRUE, and the last instant that CFJ may legally be appealed. 

3) A player who possesses the Goose and has done so for at least 7 days may
pay 10 Chits to the Treasury and cause it to go Somewhere Else. 

4) A player who possesses the Goose may forfeit 20 Chits and transfer it to
any other active player of their choice. The receiving player may not
decline the transfer. 

5) Upon a player who possesses the Goose achieving any of the following
titles, the Goose is transferred Somewhere Else: Commander of the Blue
Cross, Officer of the Blue Cross, Sage o'Doe Gas, Agent of KAOS. If the
event which granted one of these titles also would have established a
winning condition had the player not had the Goose, this transfer is deemed
to have occurred an infinitesimal amount of time after that event."

- ----

In rule 666 delete the phrase "Chartreuse Goose Eggs, " from section b).
Delete also section d), e), f), g) and i) of the same rule and remove the
phrase ",
and the Magic Number is reset to its base value" from section j) of this rule.

In the same rule, imediately after section c) add the following:

"d) All Chits are destroyed. Five Chits are created in the possesion of
each player."

Then relable section h) to e), j) to f), k) to g), l) to h), m) to i), and
n) to j).

- ----

Delete the last paaragraph of rule 667.

- ----

Delete the first paragraph of rule 668 and rename that rule to "Right
Handed Grapefruit"

- ----

In rule 670 delete the last sentence of section 4. From the same rule
delete the following text:

", and they will lose 5 points for detracting from the festivities
(although they still receive the above awards, of course)".

Also, in the same rule, replace the text:

"6) Upon a winning Nominee being announced, the author (or player who
originally posted the material, in the case of something like Phoebe's
wisdom) of the material is awarded a Silver Moon, and a cash prize of A$75,
if they are a player. "

with:

"6) Upon a winning Nominee being announced, the author (or player who
originally posted the material, in the case of something like Phoebe's
wisdom) of the material is awarded a Silver Moon, and a prize of 5 Chits,
if they are a player."

- ----

In rule 709 delete the string " gaining points," and the phrase " currency or"

- ----

Delete section 5) subsections a), b) and d) from rule 710 and relable
section c) to a), e) to b), f) to c), g to d) and h) to e).

In the same rule replace:

"9b) If a TRUE verdict is not upheld on an appeal, any penalties, except
SENTENCE, are reversed, effective the time of the appeal verdict. The
amount of any penalty of SENTENCE is subtracted from player X's current
sentence (if any, assume 0 if none), and the player is released from Gaol
if their resultant sentence is non-positive. The player is also paid A$10
times the amount of the SENTENCE, up to a maximum of A$200. "

with:

"9b) If a TRUE verdict is not upheld on an appeal, any penalties, except
SENTENCE, are reversed, effective the time of the appeal verdict. If the
penalty was a SENTENCE the player is immediately released from gaol if they
have not been released already."

- ----

Modify rule 715 such that it reads in full :

"A player who is held in Contempt shall be required to either pay a fine of
5 Chits (which are destroyed), or be placed in the Gaol for three days. The
player who is in Contempt is allowed to choose which of the two options he
would like. If the player does not make a choice within three days of being
held in Contempt it will be assumed that he has chosen the Gaol sentence. 

A player shall cease to be held in Contempt once a choice as been made per
above."

- ----

From rule 812 delete the penultimate sentence.

- ----

Delete the penultimate paragraph of rule 852.

- ----

Append the following text to the end of rule 854 (Ackanomic Institute of
Genetic Replication):

"Except for this sentence no part of this rule has any effect." {{[I havean
idea how to reintegrate this if Alfvaen's characteristics proposal passes
so donn't wnat to repeal this. For now it's just put "on hold" as it were]}}

- ----

In rule 855 replace:

"2) The Monolith is initially a three level structure. Any player may add
levels to the Monolith by publicly declaring that they are doing so. No
more than two levels may be added per player, per week. The price of adding
a level to the Monolith is A$50 * N, where N is (current number of levels /
3), rounded down. "

with:

"2) The Monolith is initially a three level structure. Any player may add
an additional level to the monolith up to once per calendar week."

In the same rule delete sections 4) and 5).

- ----

In rule 909 replace all occurences of the phrase "6 points" with "A$6" and
the phrase "3 points" with "A$3"

- ----

In rule 910 replace:

"Vile prophecies (5 pages): These are pages describing all manner of
terrible events that are to befall the reader in the near future. The
reader of one of these pages suffers a loss of 5 points. 

Inner workings (5 pages): These pages give glimpses into some of the basic
workings of the universe of mortal men, at a price. The reader gains A$50,
but loses 5 points."

with:

"Vile prophecies (5 pages): These are pages describing all manner of
terrible events that are to befall the reader in the near future. The
reader of one of these pages is such a gibbering wreck that e is unable to
leave the library for the next week."

and replace:

"Terrorizing pages (3 pages): These pages inspire indescribable terror in
all who read them, causing a loss of 15 points. 

Ancient artifact (1 page): A page describing the workings of a powerful
ancient device. The reader loses A$50, and receives a newly created random
Qualified Gadget, which, if it's a mechanical Gadget, breaks when the
reader receives it. This page has no effect on a player without sufficient
A$. "

with:

"Terrorizing pages (3 pages): These pages inspire indescribable terror in
all who read them. The player may not submit any proposals in the next week."

and replace:

"Long lost treasure (2 pages): These pages describe the locations of long
lost treasure troves. The reader gains A$250 and an Otzma Card of Type Map
Shard, provided no Otzma limits would be exceeded. This card will be
destroyed within 3 days of receipt if not used. 

Forbidden Fruit (1 page): Knowledge no man was meant to know. The reader
loses 20 points, and becomes Enlightened. 

Catastrophe (1 page): Reading this page unleashes a Tornado into Acka, as
described by the Rule Tornado. The reader is considered to be sheltered. "

with:

"Long lost treasure (2 pages): These pages describe the locations of long
lost treasure troves. The reader gains 5 Chits and an Otzma Card of Type
Map Shard, provided no Otzma limits would be exceeded. This card will be
destroyed within 3 days of receipt if not used."

- ----

Delete the following text from rule 927:

"Any players who vote against a proposal made by the First Citizen will
receive no points for anti-voting. "

- ----

In rule 933 replace:

"If the owner of the Robe is ever penalized some number of points for
failing to deliver a verdict on a CFJ, failing to respond to a CFJ, or for
having a CFJ overturned, they immediately lose the priceless Robe, and it
goes Somewhere Else."

with:

"If the owner of the Robe ever fails to deliver a verdict on a CFJ, oone of
their judgements on a CFJ is overturned, they immediately lose the
priceless Robe, and it goes Somewhere Else."

In the same rule replace:

"The value of the Robe is price that was last paid for it, plus A$15."

with:

"{{The price last paid for the robe is 5 Chits}} The value of the Robe is
price that was last paid for it, plus 1 Chit.

- ----

Delete the third sentence of rule 940.

- ----

In rule 950 replace:

"Any entity which is in the Library may play any Esoteric Song as a public
action. To do so, that entity must state the name of the Song it wishes to
play and place either an amount of A$ equal to the Song's Cost or a single
Token into the banna-shaped slot on the ASS's control panel. This action
fails if the entity does not own sufficient A$, or has no Tokens. If the
action was successful, the Esoteric Song requested immediately begins
playing as described below, with full effects, unless there is already an
Esoteric Song playing on the ASS. When this happens, any A$ placed into the
slot is transferred to the Treasury, and any Tokens placed into the slot
are destroyed. "

with:

"Any entity which is in the Library may play any Esoteric Song as a public
action. To do so, that entity must state the name of the Song it wishes to
play and place a single Token into the banna-shaped slot on the ASS's
control panel. This action fails if the entity does not own any Tokens. If
the action was successful, the Esoteric Song requested immediately begins
playing as described below, with full effects, unless there is already an
Esoteric Song playing on the ASS. When this happens the token is destroyed."

In the same rule replace:

"e) Cost: The amount of A$ which must be placed in the banna-shaped slot in
the ASS' control panel to play this Song. If the Cost is not specified, it
defaults to Infinite; i.e., the Song cannot be purchased with A$ as
described above. "

with:

"e) Whether or not the song may be triggered  by using a token as described
above. If this is not specified then it os presumed that it cannot be."

- ----

Delete the last 2 paragraphs of rule 961.

- ----

[I need help with rule 075 (Yes Virginia). What do people think should be
done with this?]

- ----

Replace the second paragraph of rule 1004 with the following:

"Societies may own Organizational Powers. They may not own any other
entities."

- ----

From rule 1009 delete the following text:

" A$, Trinkets,"

In the same rule replace the final sentence with the following:

"Any society may change into a Political Party as an organizational action."

- ----

Modify rule 1015 to read in full:

"Any Organization is allowed to have non-player Entities as members,
provided that said Entities are capable of expressing eir consent in the
public forum, or that the rules allow for some method by which said
Entities can become members of Organizations. Any Organization is allowed
to enable non-player Entities to become members, by expressing its consent
to the joining of the non-player Entity (or by having an open admissions
policy), and by the non-player Entity expressing eir consent to join the
Organization in the public forum."

- ----

Help with rule 1040 would be nice to. What do I do with capital swingers?]

- ----

In rule 1044 replace:

"a. A Player may, as a public action, convert any positive number of his
own Swingpoints into twice as many points (which are added to his score). 

b. A Player may, as a public action, convert four of his own Swingpoints
into one Bonus Vote. 

c. A Player may use any set of his own Swingpoints to offset the cost of a
PartyChessPiece purchase. In order to fully specify this action, the Player
must state the piece he is purchasing and the number of Swingpoints he is
using to offset the cost. This action fails if five times the number of
Swingpoints he attempts to use is greater than the cost of the piece. If
the action succeeds then the player purchases the piece as if he had
exercised rule 1230.1, part D, except that the cost of the piece is reduced
by five A$ for each Swingpoint used. This action constitutes a type of
Swingpoint conversion for the purposes of this rule. 

d. A Player may, as a public action, convert ten of eir own Swingpoints
into a Benefyt. Benefyts are tradeable entities. 

e. Actions (a) through (d) fail if the Player owns fewer Swingpoints than
he is attempting to convert. Actions (b) through (d) fail if the player has
performed any Swingpoint conversion within the past seven days, or if the
Player has performed the same type of Swingpoint conversion within the past
fourteen days. "

with:

"a. A Player may, as a public action, convert four of his own Swingpoints
into one Bonus Vote. 

b. A Player may, as a public action, convert ten of eir own Swingpoints
into a Benefyt. Benefyts are tradeable entities. 

e. All these actions fail if the Player owns fewer Swingpoints than he is
attempting to convert or if the player has performed any Swingpoint
conversion within the past seven days, or if the Player has performed the
same type of Swingpoint conversion within the past fourteen days."

- ----

In rule 1112 replace all occurences of the phrase "5 points" with "1 Chit".
Also, delete from the same rule the following string:

" (a score change based on proposal content)"

- ----

Ammend rule 1160 by replacing: 

"the Standard Harfers Fee less A$5"

with:

"1 Chit".

In the same rule replace:

"Coats of Arms are not Garments, but for A$10 a player with a Coat of Arms
may purchase a Surcoat bearing their Coat of Arms"

with:

"Coats of Arms are not Garments, but all players with a Coat of Arms are
given (if they do not already possess one) a Surcoat bearing their Coat of
Arms"

- ----

Modify rule 1209 by deleting:

", and he shall pay a fine of A$ 10 for mocking the sacred truth"

From the same rule delete the following text:

"The player whose post was considered then forfeits the Magic Letter
Premium to the Treasury. The Magic Letter Premium is based on the type of
letter chosen, from the following schedule: Common vowels ('a', 'e', 'i',
'o') cost A$25, Common consonants ('d', 'l', 'n', 'r', 's', 't') cost A$15,
all other letters cost A$5."

- ----

Delete section 8 and subsections a, c, d and e of section 9 of rule 1211
and relable the rest of the rule appropriately.

- ----

Delete the following from rule 1213:

"The Belt Holder shall be awarded 3 Points plus the number of donkeys he
successfully grabbed that game."

- ----

In rule 1215 replace:

"When the Duel is over, the winner of the Duel receives 6 points in
addition to any rewards or penalties he may have received as part of the
Contest itself. The loser of the Duel loses 6 points in addition to any
rewards or penalties he may have received as part of the Contest itself.
The winner's Second receives 3 points, the loser's Second loses 3 points."

with:

"When the contest is over the loser of the duel is placed in Thrall to the
winner and the loser's second is placed in Thrall to the winner's second."

In the same rule replace:

"3. When a duel is forfeited, the player who forfeited loses 6 points, and
his opponent in the duel gains 6 points. The seconds scores are not changed
in this case."

with:

"3. When a duel is forfeited, the loser of the duel is placed in Thrall to
the winner. There is no effect on the seconds in this case."

- ----

Modify rule 1216 by replacing:

"4. If a Feud is over as described in 3a. and members of one Organization
have won more Duels than members of the other Organization it Feuding with.
Than each member of the former Organization receives 6 points, and each
member of the latter organization loses 6 points. "

with:

"4. If a Feud ends as described in section 3a and members of one
organization have won more duels against members of the other organization
than members of the second organization have won against members of the
first then the first organization is declared the winner of the feud."

- ----

In rule 1340 replace:

"If multiple players' predictions are all correct, all such players are
referred to as Proto-prophets, and a Great Schism begins and shall last for
three days. During the Great Schism, players may sacrifice any Trinket they
own on behalf of any Proto-prophet. This is accomplished as a public action
by specifying which Trinket they are sacrificing and which Proto-prophet
they are sacrificing it on behalf of. Any Sacrificed Trinket is destroyed
- -- its value in A$ in created in the Treasury, not in the sacrificing
player's possession. At the end of the Great Schism, the Proto-prophet on
whose behalf the Trinkets with the greatest combined value were sacrificed
becomes True Prophet as per the preceding paragraph. If a tie remains, the
True Prophet shall be determined by random selection, and the loser(s) may
claim the title False Prophet. Whenever the True Prophet makes a
prediction, all False Prophets should attempt to make a prediction that is
even gloomier than the True Prophet's. "

with:

"If multiple players' predictions are all correct then one of them will be
randomly selected to be the True Prophet. All other players who made a
correct prediction will gain the title Fals Prophet. Whenever the True
Prophet makes a prediction, all False Prophets should attempt to make a
prediction that is even gloomier than the True Prophet's."

- ----

Delete the penultimate paragraph of rule 1350.

- ----

In rule 1240.12 replace "10 points" with "A$10"

- ----

Repeal rule 205 (When Score Changes Take Effect).

- ----

Repeal Rule 206 (Keep 'Em In The Game).

- ----

Repeal rule 207 (Scoring When A Proposal's Voting Results are Reported).

- ----

Repeal rule 207.1 (That's just silly).

- ----

Repeal Rule 207.3 (Foolishness).

- ----

Repeal rule 209 (Modesty and Pride).

- ----

Repeal Rule 210 (Literature).

- ----

Repeal Rule 315 (Tammany)

- ----

Repeal rule 317 (Bonus Votes)

- ----

Repeal rule 319 (Unanimity Is Lovely (although not so lovely as it used to
be)).

- ----

Repeal rule 344 (Weasel Words).

- ----

Repeal Rule 410 (Scorekeeper)

- ----

Repeal rul 428 (Trinket Harfer)

- ----

Repeal rule 429 (Treasure Harfer)

- ----

Repeal rule 431 (Illuminatus)

- ----

Repeal rule 505 (Treasury and AckaDollars)

- ----

Repeal rule 506 (Trinkets)

- ----

Repeal rule 506.1 (Magik)

- ----

Repeal rule 508 (Fortnightly dividends).

- ----

Repeal rule 510 (Voluntary debt prohibited)

- ----

Repeal rule 516 (Auction)

- ----

Repeal rule 520 (Auction Them Entities)

- ----

Repeal rule 593 (ackanomic Research Guild)

- ----

Repeal the blueprints rule suite (i.e. all rules with a base number of 594)

- ----

Repeal rule 595 (Gadgets)

- ----

Repeal rule 596 (The Mad Scientist)

- ----

Repeal rule 597 (The Frankenstein Monster)

- ----

Repeal rule 603 (Winning by points)

- ----

Repeal rule 607 (Winning by agenda)

- ----

Repeal rule 671 (Nemesis Eggplants and Agenda Hats)

- ----

Repeal rule 675 (Mercury Poisoning)

- ----

Repeal rule 712 (Gaoler)

- ----

Repeal rule 821 (Real Estate)

- ----

Repeal rule 826 (Constructions and Architectural Aesthetic)

- ----

Repeal rule 841 (Towers)

- ----

Repeal rule 850 (Museum)

- ----

Repeal rule 901 (Magic Potato)

- ----

Repeal rule 911 (Great Trombone).

- ----

Repeal rule 913 (Parades)

- ----

Repeal rule 915 (Prosthetic Foreheads)

- ----

Repeal Rule 917 (Rocks, Walls, Facial Hair, Root Vegetables and Flavoured
Shampoo)

- ----

Repeal rule 919 (Brass Monkey).

- ----

Repeal rule 921 (Acid Rain Dance)

- ----

Repeal rule 923 (Amber Banana)

- ----

Repeal rule 929 (Baaa)

- ----

Repeal rule 1008 (Organizational Powers)

- ----

Repeal rule 1011 (Excavation Permit)

- ----

Repeal Rule 1013 (Secret Laboratories)

- ----

Repeal rule 1017 (Trusts)

- ----

Repeal rule 1125 (Committee for the Protection, Preservation, and Integrity
of the Arts)

- ----

Repeal Rule 1129 (Crazy French-Scotsmen)

- ----

Repeal rule 1131 (Happiness)

- ----

Repeal Rule 1217 (Buried Treasure!)

- ----

Repeal rule 1313 (Tornado)

- ----

Repeal Rule 1340 (the Great Sphere Probe)

- ----

Create a new rule called "Harfer Fee" reading as follows:

"The Standard Harfer Fee is one Chit. Whenever the rules call for someone
to pay the Standard Harfer Fee then one Chit in their possesion will be
destroyed."

- ----

Create a new rule called "Chits" reading as follows:

"Chits are tradeable entities. Whenever the rules call for a Chit to be
transferred to a player, or given to a player then one will be created and
thenbe transferred to the player." {{All Chits are destroyed. All players
are given 5 Chits.}}

- ----

Create a new rule called "ThrallMaster" reading as follows:

"There exists the functional office of ThrallMaster.

The duties of the ThrallMaster are as follows:

a) To maintain a list of all players who are in Thrall to someone and who
they are in Thrall to.

b) To make this information available to any player on request.

As a privilege of office the ThrallMaster receives the standard salary for
a runctional office."

- ----

Create a new rule called "Winning by Thrall" reading as follows:

"A player may be in Thrall either to no one or to exactly one player other
than emself. Whenever a player joins the game e is in Thrall to no-one.
{{All current players are in Thrall to no-one.}} Whenever the rules specify
that a player should be placed in Thrall to another player and e is already
in Thrall to a third player, then e shall cease being in Thrall to the
third player an infinitesimal ammount of time before being placed in Thrall
to the second player.

If ever more than 60% of the players of Ackanomic are in thrall to one
other player then that player shall achieve a winning condition. Whenever
anyone wins by this method then all Thralls are cancelled, i.e. the game
state is set such that no-one is in Thrall to anyone else."

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V3 #176
***********************************