Subject: acka-research-digest V3 #175
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest      Tuesday, August 4 1998      Volume 03 : Number 175

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 20:14:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Intriguing Suggestion

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> If you get 60% of the players in thrall, you achieve a Winning Condition.
> 
> At the start of a cycle, all thralls are broken.
> 
> This simply means: accepted proposals translate into power.
> 
> Any comments?
> 

Sounds interesting.  What about anti-voting?  <snicker>

IB

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 21:45:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brandon Ray <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Intriguing Suggestion

Tom Walmsley wrote:

> At 18:27 04/08/98 -0400, you wrote:
> >With this elimination of points suggestion, if we are to have an
> >alternative to simply converting them into A$, we need a new kind of
> >system.

[deleted]

>
>
> >Any comments?
>
> I like it. However:

Me too.

>
>
> 1. I think that 60% would be too low a figure and too easily obtainable.
> 80% would probably be better. (Given that quite often players will submit
> many consecutive prposals.)

We could limit the number of proposals a player could have in queue at any
given time.

>
>
> 2. What would you propose as a penalty for a rejected proposal? A random
> player stops being in thrall to you maybe?

This might balance the problem raised in your first point.

> 3. What would you suggest for all the other small rewards and penalties?

A$?  Some other tangible thing?

>
>
> 4. I would suggest a new office be created if we do this.

Thrallmaster!

> Presumably
> however, e would be unable to win by this method. Special compensation
> would presumably need to be made for this,otherwise there would be no
> motivation for this player to propose things and no penalty for eir
> proposal's failing.

Hmmm

>
>
> 5. Above all, it keeps the proposals as a method to win problem which might
> not be a good thing.

As I am new...could you expound a bit on the problem referenced here?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 22:44:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Point Pool RFC

	I'm sure I missed a few things, but here's a first draft...

#submit Let's all go point swimming
	In rule 207 (Scoring when a proposal's voting results are reported)
alter section III to read as delimited by HOKEYPOKEY
HOKEYPOKEY
	If a proposal is accepted or rejected the points invested by each
player are transfered to the point pool for that proposal.  If a player
does not have enough points then that player transfers all eir points to
the pool and does not receive any points for the proposal even if e
normally would.  All players who voted on the victorious side receive back
the number of points they invested in their vote from the pool for that
proposal.  The points remaining in the pool are distributed one by one to
the player who has so far received the fewest points from this proposal and
invested the most points; if multiple players satisfy this condition one is
selected randomly.  This continues until there are no more points in the
pool for that proposal.
HOKEYPOKEY

	Replace the first paragraph of rule 104 with "A Voting player may
submit a proposal by sending its text to the Promoter along with the number
of points e is investing on it, who shall then post it publicly to be voted
on. The number of points invested may not be posted publicly until the
proposal's results are announced."

	At the end of the first sentence of rule 106 add "along with, if
the vote is either YES or NO, the number of points e is investing."

	Remove "lose 5 points and" from section IV of rule 207.

	Remove section V of rule 207 and renumber the other elements in the
list accordingly.

	Alter the second sentence of section V (formerly VI) of rule 207 to
read "When a Null Proposal is accepted all players receive the number of
points they invested in it from the proposal's pool."

	Alter the second sentence of section VI (formerly VII) of rule 207
to read "When a Boring Proposal is accepted or rejected all players receive
the number of points they invested in it from the proposal's pool."

	Repeal rule 207.1 (Sillyness)  {{[Yes, I like it too.  I'd really
like someone to find a way to reincorporate it, but I'll leave it to
someone else.]}}

	Repeal rule 207.3 (Foolishness) {{[See above]}}

	Repeal rule 210 (Literature) {{[Once again...]}}

	In rule 213 (Delivering Judgement) remove "em to be penalized 10
points,"

	In rule 250 (Player States) remove step d from section VI and
reletter the steps accordingly.

	In rule 313 (Bribes) remove from section V.C "the author of that
proposal loses 15 points, and"

	Remove rule 319 (Unanimity is Lovely...)

	In rule 330 (Retractions) alter the last sentence of the first
paragraph to read "A player other than a newbie who retracts eir own
proposal in this manner loses all points invested in it, they are
transferred to the treasury.  A newbie has eir investment returned  All
other points invested in the proposal are returned to their investors."

	In rule 330 remove everything in the second paragraph after and
including "unless".

	In rule 330 remove the third sentence of the third paragraph.

	Remove the last sentence of rule 330.

	Remove "gain one extra point and" from rule 344 (Weasel Words)

	In rule 374 (Politeness Moon) alter the last two sentences to read
"If the verdict of the Hearing shows that the message was not polite, 3
points are transferred from the player who sent it to the player who called
the Hearing.  If it shows that it was polite, its author gets the nickname
Jazz JackRabbit for the next 3 days and the player who called the hearing
transfers 2 points to the author."

	In rule 404 (Impeachment) replace "is penalized 10 points" with
"transfers 10 points to the player the IP was called against"

	Remove the second sentence of secton III of rule 419.2 (Internomic
Interface)

	Remove the last sentence of rule 437 (Providing Meaning Where We Can)

	Remove the first two sentences of section III of rule 593
(Ackanomic Research Guild)

	In rule 603 (Winning by Points) replace the second two sentences of
the third paragraph with "The base value of the magic number is 200."

	Replace the second sentence of rule 603 with "Points are tradeable
entities, however any trade which would cause a player to have transfered
more that 10% of the points e has fails."

	Remove everything after the semicolon in the second paragraph of
rule 603.

	In rule 666 (End of Cycle) alter section i to read "Any player
owning more than double the amount they would own if points were
distributed evenly loses one quarter of their points, which go into the
winning pool.  Those points are distributed one-by-one to the player who
owns the fewest points until there are no points left.  This repeats until
no player owns more than double the amount they would if points were
distributed evenly.

	Remove the last sentence of the third paragraph of rule 620
(Chartreuse Goose).

	From rule 666, remove step d and reletter accordingly.

	In rule 670 (Commision d'Arts) remove the last sentence of section 4.

	Remove everything in section 7 of rule 670 after the last comma.

	Remove 5a from rule 710 (Criminal Justice) and reletter accordingly.

	Remove the last sentence of option 5 of rule 812 (Down the River)

	Replace the last sentence of the first paragraph of rule 901 (The
Magic Potato) with "When a proposal made by the player who currently holds
the Magic Potato is accepted, e shall be treated as if e invested 3 extra
points for the purpose of distributing the points of the players who voted
NO."

	Remove the last sentence of rule 901.

	Remove the last sentence of the third paragraph of rule 903 (Steel
Flea)

	Remove "and e will lose the 6 points awarded previously, and will
be fined another 6 points for selfishly keeping Phoebe's wisdom to emself"
from rule 903.

	Remove "and is fined 3 points for being so careless" from rule 903.

	In rule 910 replace:

"Vile prophecies (5 pages): These are pages describing all manner of
terrible events that are to befall the reader in the near future. The
reader of one of these pages suffers a loss of 5 points.

Inner workings (5 pages): These pages give glimpses into some of the basic
workings of the universe of mortal men, at a price. The reader gains A$50,
but loses 5 points."

with:

	"Vile prophecies (5 pages): These are pages describing all manner
of terrible events that are to befall the reader in the near future. The
reader of one of these pages is such a gibbering wreck that e is unable to
leave the library for the next week.

	Inner workings (5 pages): These pages give glimpses into some of
the basic workings of the universe of mortal men, at a price. The reader
gains A$50, but is such a gibbering wreck that e is unable to leave the
library for the next week."

	In rule 910 replace "Terrorizing pages (3 pages): These pages
inspire indescribable terror in all who read them, causing a loss of 15
points. " with "Terrorizing pages (3 pages): These pages inspire
indescribable terror in  all who read them, preventing em from making any
proposals for one week."

	In rule 910 remove "loses 20 points, and"

	In rule 913 (Parades) remove the last sentence of the second
paragraph.  Remove the third and fourth paragraphs.

	In rule 915 (Foreheads) replace "loses two points" with "transfers
2 points to the player who called the hearing"

	Remove rule 919 (Brass Monkey)

	Remove the first sentence of the second paragraph of rule 927
(Chocolate Frog)

	Remove the last sentence of the second to last paragraph of rule
961(B-Ack) as well as the last paragraph.

	Remove 3a from rule 1044 and reletter accordingly.

	Remove "5 points (a score change based on proposal content) and"
from rule 1112

	Remove "When a player is designated "Funky and Stylish", they gain
5 points" from rule 1112

	Replace "the penalized player's score (after having the penalty
revoked) will be raised to the first prime number higher than their current
score" with "the penalty will be revoked" in rule 1129

	Remove section 8 of rule 1211 and reletter accordingly.

	Remove the last sentence of the first paragraph of section H of
rule 1213.

	In rule 1215, replace "When the Duel is over, the winner of the
Duel receives 6 points in
addition to any rewards or penalties he may have received as part of the
Contest itself. The loser of the Duel loses 6 points in addition to any
rewards or penalties he may have received as part of the Contest itself.
The winner's Second receives 3 points, the loser's Second loses 3 points.
"
	with "When the Duel is over, the winner of the Duel receives 6
points from the loser. The winner's Second receives 3 pointsfrom the
loser's second.
"
	and "When a duel is forfeited, the player who forfeited loses 6
points, and his opponent in the duel gains 6 points." with "When a duel is
forfeited, the player who forfeited transfers 6 points to the winner."

	Remove the last sentence of section 4 of rule 1216.

	Remove rule 1313 (tornado)

	Remove the last sentence of the second to last paragraph of rule 1350.

	Remove the second to last sentence of 594.1

	Repeal 594.3

	Remove "e shall lose one point and" from rule 594.5

	In 594.15, remove "The Laser will also deduct 5 points from the
author of the Proposal's
score, if the author is a player"

	Remove item 4 from 594.21

	Remove "The Player that currently holds Nyarlathotep will gain
three extra points for each proposal of his that is accepted while he holds
Nyarlathotep" from 594.23

	Remove the last sentence of paragraph two of section III of rule 594.26

	Remove ", and a player shall gain 6 points the first time e
publically describes all four of the above" from 950.1
#end

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Thank heavens, the sun has gone in, and I don't have to go out and
enjoy it.
		-Logan Pearsall Smith

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 22:52:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ackanomicon Determination

It had been removed some time ago...

K 2

Eric Plumb wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, Dice server wrote:
>
> > Dice rolls requested by: Tom Walmsley <[email-masked]>
> > Rolls also sent to:
> >     [email-masked]
> >
> > # Player: TEFKAHubert
>
> Thus removing the Dice Server from consideration for Treasure 200...
>
> - Tom Walmsley
>
> yip! yip! yip! yap! yap! yip! *BANG* -- NO TERRIER

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 22:55:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: Repealing Points

It replaces points with A$ and turns me into the Scorekeeper (effectively)

Will read this latter :)

I just submitted my own version which simply strips points out.

K 2

Tom Walmsley wrote:

> In rule 213 replace "10 points" with "A$10".

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 23:00:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: Repealing Points

Tom Walmsley wrote:

> The only thing we currently have in place A$ and so that was what I used.

Rip out the points and worry about replacing em latter :)

K 2

> In addition it also repeals over 20 rules, cutting the size of the ruleset
> and making space for new stuff.

Not always a Good Thing.

>
>
> Brie Clump.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 23:04:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: PayDay

3/08/98 12:00 A$ Brie Clump 125; The Ambassador, CotC, Count Tabula,
                                 CSRR, Scaremonger (protection Money ;)
3/08/98 12:00 A$ Brie Clump -18; Feed For The Chartreuse Goose
3/08/98 12:00 A$ Slakko 75; Chess Umpire, Web-Harfer, Map-Harfer
3/08/98 12:00 A$ K 2 50; Financier, Org-Harfer
3/08/98 12:00 Auto K 2 1; Treasure-Harfer
3/08/98 12:00 A$ JT 70; Herald, Registar, Trinket Harfer
3/08/98 12:00 A$ breadbox 100; Postmaster, Promotor, Rule-Harfer,
                               Tabulator
3/08/98 12:00 A$ Alfvaen 25; Scorekeeper

JT received this month's Bonus Vote.

Details:

Used the dice server, but it would have taken two rolls so I did it
privately, maybe next month I waste some serious BW :)

# This Months Door Prize Goes To:
# This first roll is to determine the
# 1000's/100's/10's.
# Subtract one from the value.

    117

# This Months Door Prize Goes To:
# 1: /dev/joe
# 2-3: Alfvaen
# 4-504: Brie Clump
# 505-1463: JT
# 1464-1563: K 2
# 1564-1569: Rex Mundi
# 1570-1575: ThinMan
# 1576-1583: two-star
# 1584-1648: Vynd
# 1649-1767: Its Not MY fault... the rules said so!
# This first roll is to determine the units.
# A value of 10 = 0.

No. of sides on every die:     10
No. of dice for every roll:     1
No. of dice rolls requested:    1
No. of rolls per line:          1

      6

Thus 1166 - i.e. JT

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 23:08:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: SwingPoints

You are and so am I :)

K 2

Matt Miller wrote:

> Hi, I am BWG please ingore me unless you are harfing me.
>
> I accept these Swigpoints, if I didn't already.
>
> Furhter, i convert 4 of my Swingpoints to a Bonus Vote, if I haven't
> already.
>
> On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Uri Bruck wrote:
>
> > In that case I am offering IdiotBoy 8 SwingPoints
> >
> > Niccolo Flychuck
> >
> >
> > On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:
> >
> > > On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Uri Bruck wrote:
> > >
> > > >
> > > > I am giving IdiotBoy 8 SwingPoints
> > >
> > > No you aren't.
> > > Swingpoints are only tradeable, not gift.
> > > - --
> > > Duncan C. "" Richer aka
> > > Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
> > > Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
> > > Acka - Web-Harfer,RuneMaker,ChessUmpire,Map-Harfer - www.ackanomic.org
> > >
> > > ------------------------------
> > >
> >
> >

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V3 #175
***********************************