Subject: acka-research-digest V3 #141
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest      Saturday, June 27 1998      Volume 03 : Number 141

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 07:22:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Duel resolution

I just realised that having forfeited my duel by going on vacation I need to
do something. Can anyone recall exactly what I promised to do?

MTM.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 09:59:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:

>Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?I Buy 100 kaa of land for
>A$1Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack
	What do people think of making obfuscation annoying?  Something
like "Obfuscation is the act of intentionally hiding game related actions
in such a way that players are unlikely to notice them.  Obfuscation is
annoying."

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 10:45:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka:

> >Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?I Buy 100 kaa of land for
> >A$1Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack Quack?Quack

> 	What do people think of making obfuscation annoying?  Something
> like "Obfuscation is the act of intentionally hiding game related actions
> in such a way that players are unlikely to notice them.  Obfuscation is
> annoying."

Would it apply to someone who hides a retraction of their Proposal inside
of a lengthy discussion of its faults?  :-)  But otherwise it might work.
Of course, it should have some reference to breadbox in there, since eir
attempt might have been the most famous...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Pet Shop Boys:So Hard
Current Book--Roger Zelazny:Creatures of LIght & Darkness
Can you think without clicking?  --billbill

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 10:51:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:

>Would it apply to someone who hides a retraction of their Proposal inside
>of a lengthy discussion of its faults?  :-)  But otherwise it might work.
>Of course, it should have some reference to breadbox in there, since eir
>attempt might have been the most famous...
	I don't think it would apply, since I did include "intentionally,"
but I'll clear that up.  I don't know the details of bredbox's attempt, so
if someone could please tell me before I make the proposal.

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 10:54:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka:

> >Would it apply to someone who hides a retraction of their Proposal inside
> >of a lengthy discussion of its faults?  :-)  But otherwise it might work.
> >Of course, it should have some reference to breadbox in there, since eir
> >attempt might have been the most famous...

> 	I don't think it would apply, since I did include "intentionally,"
> but I'll clear that up.  I don't know the details of bredbox's attempt, so
> if someone could please tell me before I make the proposal.

In a lengthy Proposal(which may have won a Silver Moon, so K 2 might have
it available), breadbox enclosed some text like:

[...[...] set breadbox's score to the Magic Number]

counting on nobody noticing that it was not within square brackets, since
notes do not nest.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Bob Geldof:Walking Back To Happiness
Current Book--Roger Zelazny:Creatures of LIght & Darkness
If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 11:09:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: Randy Hall <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:

> >       I don't think it would apply, since I did include "intentionally,"
> > but I'll clear that up.  I don't know the details of bredbox's attempt, so
> > if someone could please tell me before I make the proposal.
> 
> In a lengthy Proposal(which may have won a Silver Moon, so K 2 might have
> it available), breadbox enclosed some text like:
> 
> [...[...] set breadbox's score to the Magic Number]

I would keep the proposal as you originally worded it.  Hiding game actions
in BWG is annoying (and passe, IMO); breadbox's proposal was silver moon
material.  Your original wording captured the difference, so I would vote 
for that, and not make what breadbox did annoying.

saaremaa

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 11:41:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Gadget

Moo!
Nope, this gadget was destroyed as a result of the following clause from the
appropriate rule:

Announcing publicly that the new Gadget has been built, and initiating a public
Auction of the Gadget, as defined by Rule 516. If this announcement is not made
within 3 days of the completion of the Gadget, the Gadget is destroyed instead.

K 2
Quack Quack?

Tom Walmsley wrote:

> As some of you may or may not recall just before I left I started building a
> finger of justice which is now ready. An auction now starts with a minimum
> bid of A$2.
>
> MTM, inventor.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 11:58:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Gadget

> Nope, this gadget was destroyed as a result of the following clause from
the
> appropriate rule:
> 
> Announcing publicly that the new Gadget has been built, and initiating a
public
> Auction of the Gadget, as defined by Rule 516. If this announcement is not
made
> within 3 days of the completion of the Gadget, the Gadget is destroyed
instead.

Okay then. In that case, I start building a scroll of crumble. It will be
completed in three days time.

MTM. 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 12:01:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Gadget

Moo!
A plunky Monkey Wrench would have been better since SoC will shortly be in
effective....

Quack Quack?

Tom Walmsley wrote:

> > Nope, this gadget was destroyed as a result of the following clause from
> the
> > appropriate rule:
> >
> > Announcing publicly that the new Gadget has been built, and initiating a
> public
> > Auction of the Gadget, as defined by Rule 516. If this announcement is not
> made
> > within 3 days of the completion of the Gadget, the Gadget is destroyed
> instead.
>
> Okay then. In that case, I start building a scroll of crumble. It will be
> completed in three days time.
>
> MTM.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 12:46:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Gadget

> Moo!
> A plunky Monkey Wrench would have been better since SoC will shortly be in
> effective....
> 
> Quack Quack?

It'll be three days before it is built and then another three before the
auction finishes by which time the Frobnotzer will have taken effect.

MTM.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 18:03:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Playtesters wanted for chess variant

The chess variants page is once again running a competition to design a new
chess variant, this time based upon a board of 39 squares
(http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hansb/d.chessvar/39.dir/index.html). In last years
competition  (IIRC) entrants included both Niccolo and two-star and the
winner was Ben Good and this year I thought I'd have a go. I've had an idea
and I'd like to play-test it and you people seemed like the perfect people to
ask. If you'd be interested in doing some playtesting in these doldrum months
then get in touch with me. Also, if anyone else is thinking of entering and
desires playtesters then I would be happy to return the favour.

MTM.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 20:03:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Playtesters wanted for chess variant

>ask. If you'd be interested in doing some playtesting in these doldrum months
>then get in touch with me. Also, if anyone else is thinking of entering and
>desires playtesters then I would be happy to return the favour.
	I'll playtest.

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 21:09:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: breadbox

	Much as I hate to be the one to say it, I think breadbox's absence
has reached the point of a serious problem.  It's been almost a week now.
If anyone knows of anyway to contact him other than e-mail, I think they
should try it, and if people are interested in taking some of his
positions, they should say so.  breadbox has done a great job at them, but
it's getting to be a problem...

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 21:15:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: breadbox

> 	Much as I hate to be the one to say it, I think breadbox's absence
> has reached the point of a serious problem.  It's been almost a week now.
> If anyone knows of anyway to contact him other than e-mail, I think they
> should try it, and if people are interested in taking some of his
> positions, they should say so.  breadbox has done a great job at them, but
> it's getting to be a problem...

I would tentatively be willing to do some Promoting and/or Tabulating.  And
I will send em an AWOL message as soon as I can.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Howard Jones:Human's Lib
Current Book--Roger Zelazny:Creatures of Light & Darkness
Everybody has something to hide except for me and my squid.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 22:04:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: Randy Hall <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: breadbox

> I would tentatively be willing to do some Promoting and/or Tabulating.  And
> I will send em an AWOL message as soon as I can.

Which brings up the question of how to handle the proposals (and votes)
currently in the q.  Any suggestions?

saaremaa

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 22:37:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: breadbox

> > I would tentatively be willing to do some Promoting and/or Tabulating.  And
> > I will send em an AWOL message as soon as I can.

> Which brings up the question of how to handle the proposals (and votes)
> currently in the q.  Any suggestions?

Well, there's always Crisis Resolution, but we don't want to overuse that.
If we got a new Promoter, we could try to fix it by Proposal--consider all
the Proposals frozen in the queue to be invalid, and resubmit them.  Or
redefine their voting periods.

I'd hold out for actually managing to get results from breadbox, even if e
does end up relinquishing eir offices.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Siouxsie & The Banshees:Hyaena
Current Book--Roger Zelazny:Creatures of Light & Darkness
$665.99 -- Retail price of the Beast

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 22:51:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: Randy Hall <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: breadbox

> Well, there's always Crisis Resolution, but we don't want to overuse that.

Well, IMO, this is what CR is for.  It would nice to just keep the current
proposals out there, zap the submitted but undistributed ones, and the
votes, and readjust times.  I dunno....

saaremaa

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 23:04:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: breadbox

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> 
> > > I would tentatively be willing to do some Promoting and/or Tabulating.  And
> > > I will send em an AWOL message as soon as I can.
> 
> > Which brings up the question of how to handle the proposals (and votes)
> > currently in the q.  Any suggestions?
> 
> Well, there's always Crisis Resolution, but we don't want to overuse that.
> If we got a new Promoter, we could try to fix it by Proposal--consider all
> the Proposals frozen in the queue to be invalid, and resubmit them.  Or
> redefine their voting periods.
> 
> I'd hold out for actually managing to get results from breadbox, even if e
> does end up relinquishing eir offices.
> 
> 

I don't want to be a downer, but I wouldn't count on this one.  The more I
think about this, the worse a feeling it gives me.  Its not like his email
or computer crashing is a possiblity here.  If either had happened, we
wouldn't be talking right now.  Which means that something has made
breadbox disappear for a week without any prior notice.  Most of the
reasons I can think of for breadbox to do something like that are quite
serious.  I do hope he is OK.

                                 - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 23:27:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: breadbox

>I don't want to be a downer, but I wouldn't count on this one.  The more I
>think about this, the worse a feeling it gives me.  Its not like his email
>or computer crashing is a possiblity here.  If either had happened, we
>wouldn't be talking right now.  Which means that something has made
>breadbox disappear for a week without any prior notice.  Most of the
>reasons I can think of for breadbox to do something like that are quite
>serious.  I do hope he is OK.
	Vynd is right.  If muppetlabs is up that means something has
happened to breadbox personally.  For him not to send us anything for this
long is not a good sign.  Perhaps we should ask someone else at muppetlabs.
Does anyone know anyone from muppetlabs?  If not I'll send a message to
someone there.

	As for proposals, I think we want to minimize disruption.  That
means using a Crisis Resolution to erase all undistributed proposals and
set the voting period of all distributed proposals to start one week after
the CR.  We can pick up more or less where we left off.

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 23:53:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: breadbox

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Towsner wrote:
>	Much as I hate to be the one to say it, I think breadbox's absence
>has reached the point of a serious problem.  It's been almost a week now.
>If anyone knows of anyway to contact him other than e-mail, I think they
>should try it, and if people are interested in taking some of his
>positions, they should say so.  breadbox has done a great job at them, but
>it's getting to be a problem...

He lives here in Seattle.. I can at least attempt to find him/contact him
that way, and will do so.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 23:54:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: breadbox

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Towsner wrote:
>	Much as I hate to be the one to say it, I think breadbox's absence
>has reached the point of a serious problem.  It's been almost a week now.
>If anyone knows of anyway to contact him other than e-mail, I think they
>should try it, and if people are interested in taking some of his
>positions, they should say so.  breadbox has done a great job at them, but
>it's getting to be a problem...

I would also be willing to take over the tabulator stuff should he wish to
give it up, or should it be decided etc.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V3 #141
***********************************