Subject: acka-research-digest V3 #133
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest      Tuesday, June 16 1998      Volume 03 : Number 133

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 01:21:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: I was

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, K2 wrote:

> 
> I think my recent CFJ on this matter (assuming its been distributed) covers
> this matter. I am of the opinion that section 10 of rule 1301 permits the
> founder to be sole arbiter of church funds - both receiving and distributing.

My opinion on the matter is that is indeed the default setting, however
R1301 explicitly allows Church Custom to define other methods.
> 

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 02:03:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: YKYHBPATLWYCRT

The  A$5 question is of course, what did mine mean?

Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> > >I believe it has been less than 24 hours since K 2 entered *that* room
> > >and thus, this action isn't allowed.
>
> > Indeed. But can you tell me what the subject line means?
>
> "You know you have been playing Ackanomic too long when you can read this?"
>
> Just off the top of my head.
>
> --
> --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
> Current Song--Xavion:Eat Your Heart Out
> Current Book--Truddi Chase:When Rabbit Howls
> If you sit around anywhere long enough, you'll die.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 02:50:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Hall of Elders

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Randy Hall wrote:

> >         What do people think of turning hall of elders nominations into
> > hearings?  It seems to me that it would both make it a little more obvious
> > what the timing was, and be more compact.
> 
> I'd rather not allow EBSes and I like the number of wins to count.

Well of course you do :-)
Mind you, I agree with the system as it stands.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 19:42:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Land draft part 2

OK, here is the next installment of my plan to reshape Acka.  Highlights
include a complete overhaul of the Map-harfer's office (its no longer
optional) and of Maps.  Between this and the first part of my RFC, I think
I have most of the major changes covered.  The rest is going to be the
boring detail work, and its going to take me still yet more time.  A few
things I expect to be doing but aren't written up all formal like in this
RFC are:

Fix the size of the map and allow land to be purchased by coordinate
number, as someone (J.M. Bear?) suggested.  No brushland to be cleared
though, I'm just going to allow for the map to be expanded on occassion.

Make sure there is no confusion between treasure maps and Maps.

Have the Map as it currently stands simply become the new Map.

Create a new Rule, numbered 843, with the title Maps, and the following
YIPPE delimted text:

YIPPE

Maps are a class of unownable named entities.  Maps are depictions of the
physical layout of places in the Game of Ackanomic.  The rules may call
for certain maps to be publicly displayed.  If this is the case, then the
officer responsible for that map must maintain a WWW page with an copy of
said map.  The recommended medium is HTML with clickable images/cgi, but
any clear representation, including a text description, is acceptable
so long as it is accurate.  If applicable, the map should include links to
other relevant material, such as its contents or other maps. 

YIPPE

Create a new Rule 844 Here There Be Dragons, with the following
XERXES delimited text:

XERXES

The Map of Ackanomic is a map of the earth as it is known [described in
the rules].  It is maintained by the Map-Harfer, who is permitted to
change it as necessary to reflect new discoveries.  The Map of Ackanomic
is not overly detailed, but at a minimum it must depict any regions found
on the surface of the earth.  The Map-Harfer is permitted to fill any
blank areas of the Map of Ackanomic with wild speculations about the
nature of said areas, but these speculations are almost certainly wrong.

XERXES

Rename Rule 845 Map to Map of the City.  Then amend this rule to read in
the following CROUTON delimited manner:

CROUTON

{{The Map of Ackanomia is renamed to The Map of the City.}}

The Map of the City is a map which represents the region of Ackanomic
known as the City.  It should display all locations found within the
City (that are not themselves within another location).  This includes,
but is not limited to, Kaas of land, Buildings, and Towers.  The Map of
the City should also represent whatever lies immediately outside the 
bounds of the City, if anything.

The Map-harfer is the officer in charge of the Map of the City, and is
responsible for maintaining its accuracy.  If a location is known to be in
the City, but exactly where it is in the city is unknown, then it is
the duty of the Map-harfer to specify a place on the map for that
location.  

CROUTON

Create a new Rule 847, entitled Earthquakes, with the following RICHTER
delimited text:

RICHTER

Ackanomic, especially in the region of the City, is distressingly prone to
earthquakes.  These earthquakes are constantly reshaping the land,
requiring constant updating of maps.  Whenever an earthquake occurs, all
hell will break loose, fire shall rain from the sky, and the earth will 
be rent with gigantic chasms.  All players shall scream in terror and run
around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Earthquakes occur when it is publicly announced that an earthquake has hit
Ackanomic.  Such announcements may only be made in accordance with the
Rules.  After an earthquake, it is the duty of the Map-harfer to formulate
a new map of the City and place it on display as described in this rule.
The new map must contain all the locations present on the old map, but
their positions may be changed in any way the Map-harfer sees fit, so long
as he obeys the following guidelines:

1) Buildings remain on the same Kaas on which they were built (although
the position of the Kaas may be changed).
2) A set of Kaas with a Building on them must remain contiguous.
3) Locations whose positions are specified in the Rules must remain in
those positions.

The Map-harfer has 7 days to prepare and publically display this new map.
It is permissible for the new map to be identical with the old map.  Once
the map is on public display, the Map-harfer must announce that business
as usual has resumed.  Until he does so, no player may purchase or sell
land or buildings.

Occasionally, there will be an earthquake that is a Really Bad Earthquake.
Really Bad Earthquakes differ from regular earthquakes in the following
manner:  After a Really Bad Earthquake has been announced, the Map-harfer
may issue a CSR.  The Map-harfer has 10 days to prepare the new map rather
than 7, but the new map must not be the same as the old map.

RICHTER

Amend Rule 423 Map-Harfer to have the following MOXIE delimited text:

MOXIE

The Office of Map-Harfer is a Functional Office.

The duties of the Map-Harfer include:

a) To maintain and make publically available a list of the locations of
all entities, including players, for which locations are known or
specified.

b) To maintain the Map of Ackanomic, as specified in the Rules.

c) To maintain any other maps which do not have another Officer assigned
to maintain them.

d) To announce when an earthquake or Really Bad Earthquake has occured,
unless the Rules specify another Officer to announce the occurance of a
particular earthquake [In other words, the Map-harfer announces
earthquakes that no one else announces].

The priviliges of the Map-harfer include the following, they may also be
exercised by Acting Map-Harfers:

1) To appoint Assistant Map-Harfers to assist hi in the execution of
duties b) and c) above.

2) The Map-Harfer may, by public announcement, cause an earthquake to
occur, provided he has not exercised this ability within the last 7 days.
This is in addition to announcing the occurance of earthquakes as per duty
d) above.

MOXIE

                                 - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V3 #133
***********************************