Subject: acka-research-digest V3 #116
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest       Friday, June 12 1998       Volume 03 : Number 116

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 21:37:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: ITA

Since the ITA has now passed, and there are advantages to joining quickly,
I'm going to propose this on Sunday if there are no objections:

Amend rule 500.2 to read "
Named entities may own other ownable entities, or even own themselves.
(Nameless entities may not.)

Each entity is either unownable, nontradeable, or tradeable.  Tradeable
entities are either giftable or ackable, and are either protected or
exportable.  Tradeable entities are ackable and protected unless the Rules
specify otherwise.  An entity is nontradeable unless the Rules specify
otherwise. If an entity is nontradeable or tradeable then it is ownable.

	At any given time, each ownable entity is either owned by one or
more named entities, Somewhere Else (unowned), or exported. If the Rule(s)
defining an ownable entity do not explicitly state that it may have
multiple owners, then it can have at most one owner. Exportable entities
may never have more than one owner; this sentance takes precedence over any
rule claiming otherwise.

	When an ownable entity is created, it is in the Treasury, unless
the Rules specify an initial owner for it. Entities may be transferred from
one owner to another only through methods specified by the Rules.
"

Amend Rule 501 to read as follows: "
	An Import is a tradeable, exportable entity.  Imports may only be
created or destroyed as specified in the rules.  All Imports have a noo
(nomic of origin), which is appended to the end of its name between curly
braces ('{','}').  If a rule would destroy an Import then it is instead
transfered to the Customs Office and offered to its noo; this sentence
takes precedence over any rule which would destroy an Import.

	The Customs Office is a branch of the Treasury, and a named,
unownable entity.

	The Customs Officer is an optional functional office, and is
Ackanomic's Customs Officer to the ITA if Ackanomic is a member of the ITA.
It is a duty of the Customs Officer to apply for ITA membership if Acka is
not a member of the ITA.  It is a duty of the Customs Officer to keep an
ITA-compliant log of all ITA trades involving Acka and an entity for which
Acka is the noo.  If the Customs Officer of another nomic makes an offer to
Ackanomic then it is the duty of the Customs Officer to determine which of
the following cases applies (higher ones take precedence), and inform the
ITA of Acka's decision to accept or refuse the offer:
	1) If a recipient is specified, but the recipient is not a named
entity which can legally own imports then the offer must be refused.
	2) If a recipient is specified and another rule specifies when that
entity accepts and refuses trades then that rule takes precedence.
	3) If a recipient is not specified and the offer is not conditional
then the offer is accepted and The Treasury becomes the Ackan-anchor.  The
CO must then publicly announce that this has happened.
	4) If a recipient is not specified and the offer is conditional
then the Customs Officer should publicly announce the offer.  If any player
or organization publicly accepts the offer, can legally accept trades, can
legally own Imports, and owns the conditional portion of the trade then
Acka accepts the offer.  The accepting entity becomes the Ackan-anchor. The
CO must then publicly announce that this has happened.
	5) If a recipient is specified then the CO should publicly announce
the offer.  If the recipient accepts the offer and has any objects the
offer is conditional upon then so does Acka, if the recipient refuses the
offer then so does Acka.  If the offer is accepted then the recipient
becomes the Ackan-anchor. The CO must then publicly announce that this has
happened.

	When Acka is involved in an accepted ITA trade offer, an Import is
created for each object which Acka recieves and for which Acka is not the
noo, and the newly created Imports are transfered to the Ackan-anchor.  All
entities Acka recieves for which Acka is the noo cease to be exported and
become owned by the Ackan-anchor.  All entities sent out of Acka by the
trade become exported, unless they are Imports, in which case they are
destroyed.

	If an Ackan wishes to trade with another nomic, they must publicly
post the trade they wish to make, including the destination.  If e owns
everything offered in the trade then it is a duty of the CO to make a trade
offer on behalf of Acka offering the entities and with whatever conditional
entities are required by the trade.  It is a duty of the CO to publicly
announce when the trade is accepted or refused.
"

Add the following to the end of "The Stock Market":"
	The Stock Market may be the target of an ITA trade.  The Stock
Market will refuse all ITA trades unless they involve Acka receiving a
number of A$ equal to a multiple of the stock market value at that time,
rounded up (after multiplying) plus 5% and involve Acka sending the
multiple number of shares, or involve Acka receiving a number of shares and
Acka sending that number of shares times the value of the stock market,
rounded down (after multiplying), minus 5%, in which case it will be
accepted.
"

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 22:29:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: ITA

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Towsner wrote:
[ITA proposal RFC]

I only see one or two problems with this.
The primary problem is that all of a sudden, we can have A$ outside of
Acka.

Thus the treasury total is no longer a fixed sum or else someone has
to keep track of all A$ outside of Acka which is not a task I would find
envious to do  (fortunately I wouldn't be required to with any of the
positions I hold :)

The second is what happens to trinkets that get exported? Are they treated
as destroyed?  Are other nomics bound by the ITA to offer the trinket back
to Acka if it would be destroyed under their rules?

It wasn't covered, but what happens if someone from say Macronomic were to
trade an acre of vote farm to someone in Acka?  Would that Ackan then have
the right to vote on a macronomic proposal even though they weren't a
player?

(I'm assuming here that these sorts of trades would be allowable since
there didn't seem to be any sort of distinction between objects being
tradable among Acka players and tradeable outside of Acka.)

I'd like to hear how these would be addressed before the proposal were
put to a vote.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V3 #116
***********************************