Subject: acka-research-digest V3 #110
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest      Saturday, May 23 1998      Volume 03 : Number 110

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 02:19:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3111

On Fri, 22 May 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> Slakko wrote: 
>  
> > > If you have an IRC server, adding it to section VI as a G&C submission
> > > with a little {{magic}} (as opposed to the default of adding it with
> > > a new roman numeral section) should not be too hard, if you want]}}
> > 
> > This last bit leaves an orphan after the removal of some text:
> > 
> > (as opposed to the default of adding it with
> > a new roman numeral section) should not be too hard, if you want]}}
> > 
> > Or does it?  This requires some interesting rule interpretation, as there
> > is nothing in the rules about whether or not these things nest these days.
> 
> I don't think it does. The close double braces is in notes brackets and so
> has no semantic meaning and don't serve as an end delimiter. That's my
> interpretation of it anyway.

But the text in Rule 340 which deals with braces is after the text which
deals with notes, and therefore takes precedence in case of a conflict.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 02:31:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Economy

Does Acka have an economy?

The whole purpose of an economy is to allocate scarce resources amongst a
group who cannot have all their wants satisfied.  The Ackan rules provided
for limited factors of production creating certain types of entities, e.g.
Otzma Cards, Gadgets, etc.  These factors may be capital (i.e. reusable
"goods" capable of enabling creation of such entities, such as Secret
Laboratories), or they may be labour (such as the work of qualified people
such as the Inventor or the Wizard).  However, not everyone can just
create any old Gadget when they feel like it, so there is a level of
scarcity.

This scarcity forces the limited products to be allocated amongst those
who want them, in a method which does not necessarily give everyone what
they want.  We have two ways of doing this in Acka: either the owner of
the factors of production can determine the allocation (e.g. with a Secret
Laboratory the gadget goes to whoever the Org says it does), or the
allocation can be determined in a "free market".  Acka uses Auctions to
achieve this, where people can bid according to how much they want a
particular item (which, you would hope, bears some relation to the value
the item holds for them).

I would like to see explanations as to why what Acka has is not an
economy.  
- -- 
Duncan C. "B.Ec. (Adel.)" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 03:04:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: What May Be My Final Words on the Ackan Economy Debate

There has, of course, been one instance in the Rules where the phrase
"Acka economy" was mentioned.  The rule has been repealed, but it lasted
for a good 13 months or so.  It was the Experts rule, which was Rule 450
for a time.  The rule, created by Robert Sevin, contained the following
text:

"When deciding whether or not a player is an Expert in a given area, the
Senate must consider the following criteria: 

     1. The player must be well versed in all rules and CFJs relevant to
the area.
     2. The player must be keeping up to date with any relevant new
proposals.
     3. The player must be honest, and willing to interpret the rules when
a conflict arises that is relevant to their area of Expertness.
     They must do so without bias.
     4. The area must be well-defined and specific.
     5. The area must not be too broad (ie "the rules" is too broad, but
"Acka economy" isn't)
     6. The area must not be so simple that everyone understands it well."

While this cannot be taken as conclusive proof of the existence of the
Acka economy, the lack of objection to this particular wording would seem
to indicate popular consensus that there was, at the time, such a thing as
an Ackan economy.  (The proposal passed 11 YES, 3 NO, 0 abstentions,
with 1 YES vote being Vulcan Unity).

I have been in Acka for the whole of the time since the Experts rule was
repealed (by Proposal 2659), and have yet to see any evidence of an
economy breaking down and disintegrating.  I therefore submit there is
strong evidence that Acka has an economy.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 10:01:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3114

> BAUER
> The Height of an individual is considered to be one meter for every A$
> e possesses.
> 
> To be selected as Judge for a CFJ, one must be able to remain in the
> courtroom(i.e. one must not be required by any other Rule to leave it).
> 
> {{ If Proposal 3107, "By The Holy Claws of Klorto The Magnificent", passed,

> replace "A$" above with "Qo". }}
> BAUER

As CotC I really would prefer it if this didn't get in. As has been pointed
out the most awkward duties of an office are those that require you to keep
up with some other part of the game-state. I already have to keep up with
pretty much everything the registrar has to track, but that isn't too bad
because pretty much everything there goes on on the main mailing lists.
Having to take a look at the player/entity page before selecting a judge
would make my job quite a bit more difficult.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 13:15:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3114

> As CotC I really would prefer it if this didn't get in. As has been pointed
> out the most awkward duties of an office are those that require you to keep
> up with some other part of the game-state. I already have to keep up with
> pretty much everything the registrar has to track, but that isn't too bad
> because pretty much everything there goes on on the main mailing lists.
> Having to take a look at the player/entity page before selecting a judge
> would make my job quite a bit more difficult.

Just trying to use Rule 42 for something...:-)

Besides, there aren't that many people with more than A$1600 or whatever
it is(meters in a mile).

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Moxy Fruvous:The B Album
Current Book--Robert Jordan:The Shadow Rising
"I cn ytpe 300 wrds pre mnieut!!!"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 14:27:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: ITA

>Fine except for one minor quibble.
>>
>> 	At any given time, each ownable entity is either owned by one or
>> more named entities, Somewhere Else (unowned), or exported. If the Rule(s)
>> defining an ownable entity do not explicitly state that it may have
>> multiple owners, then it can have at most one owner. Exportable entities
>> may never have more than one owner; this sentance takes precedence over any
>> rule claiming otherwise.
>
>This would stop things being in the Treasury - currently the
>default location of unowned items is the Treasury, not Somewhere Else.
>Things are only Somewhere Else when the rules have explicitly put them
>there.

	I guess I'm not seeing what you mean.  How should I change it?

- --
- -Henry Towsner

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V3 #110
***********************************