Subject: acka-research-digest V3 #96
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest       Saturday, May 9 1998       Volume 03 : Number 096

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 00:36:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Raquel Peres da Silva" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3009

> > I couldn't find any good reason why someone would need to vote against
eir
> > own Proposal, since we can always retract a Proposal. Of course, we'll
lose
> > points by doing this but... that's life! About the anti-voting thing, I
> > really enjoy it (it's like: if I can't have the Proposal, at least give
me
> > some points), but I don't think submiting a Proposal and voting against
it
> > is the best way to use it. It looks a little "scammy" to me...
> 
> Basically, what this will do is render it impossible to find a certain
> treasure.  So anyone who's still looking to find it will end up voting
> against this version anyway.  I know I will.  But I might be more willing
> to endore a weaker version that will presume a YES vote by the author
only
> if e don't change eir mind.

Well, it seems Proposal 3009 will be rejected, but I'll let it be voted
anyway: I would lose 2 points for retracting it, anyway, and, as I have
voted YES for it, I'll lose just 4 points if it's rejected. Then maybe I'll
try something like a changeable default YES vote. Or maybe I won't... I
don't know, it's late now and I'm sleepy. I'll think of it tomorrow. <yawn>
Maybe.

Yours,

Ayla
Priestess of the Order of the Razor Boomerangs
Priestess of the Church of the Evil Ballot Stuffer

Law of Cat Motion:  A cat will move in a straight line, unless there is a
*really* good reason to change direction.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 14:16:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3023

> A Locust is depicted by the ASCII character 'L'.

I thought a Loyalist was already depicted by 'L' - it's in the
rules, but not on the webpage. :-(
J. M. Bear

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 14:17:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2969 accepted

> > The Quirpele of Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosois is a
> > tradeable entity. {{ Initially it is owned by a randomly chosen active
> > player. }} 

So who gets the quirpele?

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 17:35:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Randomness

Yes, but what does it do?

I'll have to read the rule soon as I get this functional stuff sorted :)

K 2

Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> ThinMan has found the Raft(or Oars, whichever it is)this week.
>
> K 2 has found the Quirpele of Pneumonoultramicrosopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.
> Or however you spell it.
>
> --
> --Alfvaen (Web page:http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen)
> Current Album--The Family
> Current Book--Elizabeth Ann Scarborough:The Healer's War
> When the boss is not around we know a lot of songs.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 18:53:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Big Trinket Creation

[Moved to acka-research]

> But the UK came second!

You're point being? If I told you that Australia had come second in an
international constipated cat strangling contest would you feel compelled to
watch it? It's just that that's what most of the songs sound like to me. The
fact that we won last year with that Katrina and the waves song (truly awful)
should give you some indication of just how bad the standard is.

> Besides, I only saw about 6 of the songs - the
> voting is much more interesting, and political.  

I will grant you that the voting is more interesting (i.e. mind numbingly
boring as opposed to deadly boring) but...

> Examples:
> 
> Cyprus: Greece, 12 points.

...can you honestly tell me you didn't know that was going to happen? It
might be quite interesting if voting wasn't the same each year.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 19:11:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Big Trinket Creation

On Sat, 9 May 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> [Moved to acka-research]
> 
> > But the UK came second!
> 
> You're point being? If I told you that Australia had come second in an
> international constipated cat strangling contest would you feel compelled to
> watch it? It's just that that's what most of the songs sound like to me. The
> fact that we won last year with that Katrina and the waves song (truly awful)
> should give you some indication of just how bad the standard is.
> 
> > Besides, I only saw about 6 of the songs - the
> > voting is much more interesting, and political.  
> 
> I will grant you that the voting is more interesting (i.e. mind numbingly
> boring as opposed to deadly boring) but...

You haven't watched the voting in a room full of graduate students,
including one rabid Dutchman, two Americans supporting the Belgians, lots
of English cheering the 12 points, and big support for Israel combined
with incredulity at the success of Malta's Mama Cass lookalike.  It's all
in the atmosphere. :-)

> > Cyprus: Greece, 12 points.
> ...can you honestly tell me you didn't know that was going to happen? It
> might be quite interesting if voting wasn't the same each year.

Of course it was going to happen - Scandinavia was the big surprise.

Yes and no.  The big points for some countries are the same each year -
which means the little points become all that more important.  And yes, I
could tell Cyprus was going to 12 Greece.  I want to see the Turkish
Cypriots given the right to vote on these too - so we can't tell whether
Turkey or Greece gets the 12.

Yours,
Slakko
who worked out that if the Peace Dividend had affected Eurovision more it
would have gone to a countback between the UK and Israel.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 22:36:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Randomness

Thinman has the raft

> ThinMan has found the Raft(or Oars, whichever it is)this week.
>
> K 2 has found the Quirpele of Pneumonoultramicrosopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.
> Or however you spell it.
>
> --
> --Alfvaen (Web page:http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen)
> Current Album--The Family
> Current Book--Elizabeth Ann Scarborough:The Healer's War
> When the boss is not around we know a lot of songs.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 22:39:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: GBS

Tom Walmsley wrote:

> > I am starting an auction on the Pulse Laser just completed by me,
> > minimum bid A$0
>
> I bid A$5.
>
> > I hope that's everything that falls under my jurisdiction :/
> > I wonder if anyone's decomposed lately ?
>
> Out of interest, do you have a version of the player entity page up yet?

yes, but i'm not goin to tell you where it is :p

Oh alright
its at http://www.internex.net.au/~kii/pe.html

> TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 23:15:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3021

> >Proposal 3021

> ....

> >
> >Replace the second occurence of the text "C." in section IV with
> >the text "E."

> Ack!  This makes no reference to a rule!

> I retract proposal 3021.

I dunno.  Would this have worked?  The previous section referred to a
Rule, and I read it the way it was intended the first time...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Sade:Diamond Life
Current Book--Elizabeth Ann Scarborough:The Healer's War
Q is for Quinton who sank in a mire, R is for Rhoda, consumed by a fire.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 23:17:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Voting Bot.

> Wow.. that is spiffy.  I agree that I'd like to get a copy of the email.  

> Is anyone interested in me procurring/hosting an ackanomic.org address?

I think it'd be interesting...

> We could just use redirects to get to the pages people really want, or I
> could hand out some accounts on the machine which would host it.

> If there was alot of interest, I could even assign email aliases, so tat
> to reach Slakko, you'd merely need: [email-masked]

That would be nice for me emailing K 2.  At the moment it takes an
atrocious amount of time for me to connect to internex.net.au, and if I
could pass that off to another site I'd appreciate that.  :-)  As for
player names, they don't get changed _that_ often, and adding aliases
isn't that hard to do IIRC...(thinking of UNIX systems, of course, but
Windows NT wasn't bad either).

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Sade:Diamond Life
Current Book--Elizabeth Ann Scarborough:The Healer's War
Why do words suddenly appear every time you are near?

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 23:35:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposals 2959-2970 (corrected)

> [Note to Scorekeeper: Of the following Proposals, nos. 2959, 2961,
> 2963, 2966, 2968, and 2970 were modest.]

While that is helpful information, actually knowing who the author of
each Proposal was would help me even more.  :-)  Don't worry, I can find
it.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Sade:Diamond Life
Current Book--Elizabeth Ann Scarborough:The Healer's War
Close the Dreamtime door and drive away.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 23:39:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2961 rejected

> Results of Proposal 2961

> 20/25 votes: Quorum achieved
> 8/18 YES votes: Proposal rejected

> > Proposal 2961 - Fri 01 May 1998 14:14 EDT
> > Just like...
> > K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

Ooh!  And one more accepted Proposal short of a Stilton, too.  I bet that
hurts.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Sade:Diamond Life
Current Book--Elizabeth Ann Scarborough:The Healer's War
Instant gratification takes too long.

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V3 #96
**********************************