Subject: acka-research-digest V3 #86
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest     Thursday, April 30 1998     Volume 03 : Number 086

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 00:08:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RFC

This is something that has always bugged me.

This is a Modest Proposal.

Amend Rule 251 Player Names, by altering its last paragraph to read in
full:

A player may change his Ackanomic name, so long as the new name complies
with all applicable rules.  The Registrar shall record and acknowledge
each legal name change; a legal name change takes effect at the time of
the Registrar's acknowledgement, at which time the player in question
shall pay the standard Harfer Fee.  If three days have passed, and the
Registrar has yet to acknowledge a players attempt to change his name, and
the new name complies with all applicable rules, then the name change
takes effect.  In this case the player does not pay the standard Harfer
Fee, but the Registrar is still required to record and announce that the
change occurred.  If a player attempts to change his name to something 
not in compliance with the rules, that attempt fails.  Notification of the
failure by the Registrar is encouraged but not required.  When a
player changes their Ackanomic name, all Ackanomic business will be
changed to follow their new name.

This adds some text to deal with the case where a player makes a legal
attempt to change his name, but the Registrar never acknowledges it.  I
may be mistaken, but I think H*bert is in such a position at the moment.
It can actually be rather problematic, since if people start using the new
name, but it is never acknowledged by the Registrar, then all the trades
etc that they think they are doing properly never occurred.  I'm not even
sure if pragmatism would clear this up.  Hopefully this change would
eliminate such possiblities.  

That is the important part, but I also made it so if your name change
doesn't get harfed properly, you don't pay the harfer fee.  I also threw
in a sentence spelling out what happens if a proposed new name is illegal,
just to be extra special sure that my other changes wouldn't allow people
to make illegal name changes through Registrar inaction.

                               - Vynd

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 11:13:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Just Like Majik

I seems I have put my foot in it once more.
My apologies for altering trinkets in your possession in this manner.
Ishould have thought before acting. After reading Malenkai's 10/Jan 
posting I just acted....

Sorry

K 2

John Bollinger wrote:

> K2 wrote:
>
> >Ahem,
> >    By the power invested in me by rule Rule 506.1 as Archaeologist I
> >declare the following Trinkets to be Majik :
> >
> >All trinkets who's name contains the string : 'Runestone of Jukkasjarvi
> >Fragment'.
> >Evil
> >The Pedestal of *ping*
>
> I am not convinced that you can do that.  If you can and did, then I am
> quite put out.  Even a bit angry, in fact.  I strenuously object to you
> modifying trinkets in my possession without my prior approval.  Not only
> as a matter of principle, either.  It doesn't help that I see absolutely
> no point to the action.
>
> ThinMan
> >-(

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 17:55:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CotC-ness

I think I've got sent out everything to do with CFJs that needs doing but I'm
not sure. If there is anything that I've not done then please tell me so I
can get it done (I know I need to update the web page, so you needn't tell me
that).

TGW.

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V3 #86
**********************************