Subject: acka-research-digest V3 #76
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest      Monday, April 20 1998      Volume 03 : Number 076

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 00:23:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2895

On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> There can be only one Nyarlathotep. 

Wasn't that a line from a movie?  "Highlander vs. Cthulhu?"

> However, if you do claim that one of them is called granting Sanctuary of
> Salvation, it cannot be the monster, so it must be the Office (the Monster
> does not yet exist, so all references to Nyarlathotep in the Blueprint
> must refer to the entity named Nyarlathotep, i.e. the Office).

So... you calling for a nomination for granting Sanctuary of Salvation or
not?

> I'm getting to the stage where the FM appears to be scambait and very
> little else.  I wouldn't mind seeing Rules 596 and 597 bite the dust.

Scambait, sure, but that's what makes 'em so fun IMHO.  The blueprint for
Valaraukar made me laugh as hard as I've laughed at anything in Acka
before or since, and Nyarlathotep's was not far behind.  I hope they don't
get repealed.

I could see the powers and scope of FMs being restricted, as you tried to
do with the Beldin's Pants thing, but I'd rather that not happen unless
absolutely necessary.  I like scams.  (Scam, bacon, eggs, and scam...)
Another thing that made me laugh was your attempt to cash in on K 2's win
by submitting the CWCFJ; sorry it didn't work out.

- -Hubert

Quoth the Raven, "Eat my shorts." 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 00:29:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A break

On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> The concept is great - the execution is the problem.
> I would suggest that there be a cap on the maximum number of points that
> can be scored at once - say reduce it to 50.  That should stop super-large
> sudden scams leading to cycle wins from it, while still making it useful.

I'd prefer to keep it relative.  How about either one-half of the target's
score, or one-sixth of the Magic Number, whichever is lower?

Six is a pretty harfy number.

- -Hubert

Quoth the Raven, "Eat my shorts." 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 04:08:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: My Eleusis Game

Why do I get this again and again and again and again?

JT Traub schrieb:

> I have said this to Alfvaen privately, but I'll say it publically just
> in case :)
>
> a) I want to play (in addition to ref'ing the first game)
> b) It wasn't meant to be exclusive, it was meant to be a small game in order
> to give a shakedown to the rules.  However, having a small game (game 1)
> and a larger game (which this seems to be shaping out to be) would be a
> good idea.
>
> --JT

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 06:00:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Burning Mountain

> In a shocking message three days ago, the being who was destined to later
> become the putative winner of the current Cycle stated, when asked about
> the shape of the elusive and indescribably amorphous banna, that it was
> earth-shaped.

As all enlightened beings know... it is :p

>  The populace of Acka, with little dissidence, recognized
> this comment for the heresy it was.  Voting on the issue was as follows:

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 09:24:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Frederic Mc Coy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: Winning by Points

On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> > > Should one player crossing the Magic Number(let's say by a controversial
> > > means, so if the above amendments are in place the Scorekeeper can't end
> > > the cycle)make it impossible for any others to?  Or if two players cross
> > > it?  If Player A crosses, then Player B, do either of them have a Winning
> > > Condition, neither, or both?
> 
> > Clearly Player A has to have a winning condition for at least some of the
> > time.  What I would suggest is the following (yes, it leads to thread
> > splits, but the first CWCFJ determines the issue, as it would in any other
> > case, so there's no extra work hopefully):
> 
> > When the points winning condition is achieved, the Magic Number is
> > increased by 100, or to 11 above the current highest score, whichever is
> > greater.
> 
> > Note that this will disappear again at the start of the next cycle, as the
> > Base Magic Number is unaffected.  It stops other players achieving winning
> > conditions, so first over wins unless something really, really drastic
> > involving at least 101 points happens as well (and if Harf the Mail
> > amendments along my lines succeed, it won't be able to do that).
> 
> > Amend the language in the "two players simultaneously reach" to be "two
> > players simultaneously reach or exceed".
> 
> This sounds the best, and more or less what I was thinking of.  I'll
> let you put together that Proposal if you want.  (I had about five
> Proposal ideas this afternoon, not including the Scorekeeper one, so
> I'll be inundating the Promoter enough...)

This seems like an overly complicated way of dealing with things.  Why not
simply change the Rule to say that the FIRST player to meet or exceed the
Magic Number in a Cycle achieves a Cycle Winning condition?

                               - Vynd

[email-masked]

> 
> 
> --
> --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
> Current Album--Liz Phair:Exile In Guyville
> Current Book--Jack L. Chalker:The Cybernetic Walrus
> I have nothing to say, and I am saying it.
> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 09:59:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT Traub <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: My Eleusis Game

>Why do I get this again and again and again and again?
>
>JT Traub schrieb:

>> I have said this to Alfvaen privately, but I'll say it publically just
>> in case :)
>>
>> a) I want to play (in addition to ref'ing the first game)
>> b) It wasn't meant to be exclusive, it was meant to be a small game in order
>> to give a shakedown to the rules.  However, having a small game (game 1)
>> and a larger game (which this seems to be shaping out to be) would be a
>> good idea.
>>
>> --JT

I honestly don't know why this would have shown up in your mailbox
multiple times.  I am sure I only sent it once, and it isn't in my
mail queue here and hasn't been since shortly after I sent it.  If
you are still getting copies of it, something somewhere is seriously
confused, but as far as I can tell it's not at my site.

- --JT

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 12:40:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Burning Mountain

> Therefore, by a margin of 8 to 5 [to 1], K 2 was found to be so heretical 
> that only one of eir fellow bannists voted to save em.  As Witchfinder
> General, I have only this to say on the matter:
> 
> Burn, baby, burn.

I could hardly vote to save em, could I. Burn the witch would have him
burned, and no e said the earth was flat would accuse em of heresy, since we
all know that the earth is not flat. Nor is it round or hemispherical. We all
know that it is banna really.

TGW, who must have made more heretical comments than anyone else who hasn't
had a witch-hunt called against em.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 19:01:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Burning Mountain

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> Come to the banna side, Hube.

Never!  And you're not my father either.

> The banna is benevolent.  Only those who do not understand the banna could
> fail to see the benevolence inherent in banna.
> 
> BURN ME NOW!

I am calling a Politeness Moon Hearing, a Public Health Emergency, a
Forehead Tribunal, a CPPIA hearing, a Bogusity Hearing, an Inquisition,
and an Auction Them Entities against Slakko for this message.

- -Hubert

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from? 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 19:05:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Burning Mountain

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Hubert wrote:

> 
> On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:
> 
> > Come to the banna side, Hube.
> 
> Never!  And you're not my father either.

Unfortunately, because you don't own an "I Opposed P2241 #n" type Trinket,
there is no lightsaber to make impressive noises.

> I am calling a Politeness Moon Hearing, a Public Health Emergency, a
> Forehead Tribunal, a CPPIA hearing, a Bogusity Hearing, an Inquisition,
> and an Auction Them Entities against Slakko for this message.

If it is possible for me to do so, I issue an Impeachment Paper against
Hubert from his position as Witchfinder General.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 19:23:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: The Burning Mountain

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> Unfortunately, because you don't own an "I Opposed P2241 #n" type Trinket,
> there is no lightsaber to make impressive noises.

I swing my Razor Boomerang around and make impressive lightsaber-type
noises.  Then I hold my index finger and thumb really close together while
looking at Slakko (kinda like the "Squish Your Head" move) and make heavy
breathing noises.  Then I set Ackanomic to Ludicrous Speed.  None of these
are regulated by the Rules, so all would happen if I hadn't cleverly
posted this to acka-research.  Which also makes the following rather moot:

> If it is possible for me to do so, I issue an Impeachment Paper against
> Hubert from his position as Witchfinder General.

- -Hubert

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from? 

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V3 #76
**********************************