Subject: acka-research-digest V3 #74
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest     Saturday, April 18 1998     Volume 03 : Number 074

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 02:22:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Are we that busy?

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Hubert wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> > That was how I joined!
> > Straight into the Quorum Crisis. 
> > Niccolo Flychuck
> 
> Was this intentionally a near-haiku?
Entirely not. Had I thought haiku, I might have used 'to' instead of
'into' - I can still parse that. 

Then again, having 
a pentasyllabic name
helps the creation

 > 
> - -Hubert
> 
> Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine. 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 05:41:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2895

On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> 
Proposal 2895
> You'd think we'd notice these things...
> Vynd (John McCoy)
> 
> {{[Originaly, I thought that the Nyarlathotep Blueprint was invalid because
> of the errors I have already pointed out in it. A closer reading of the
> Rules reveals there is no such thing as an invalid Blueprint, which this
> change is meant to address.]}}

However, I would note that currently Rex Mundi has yet to build
Nyarlathotep.  Rule 597 says that e "must post the text of the Discovery".
While Rex did post some text, what e posted violated the rules by which a
Discovery of an FM is created, and hence what e posted is not a Discovery,
even though he said it was (calling a cow a horse need not make it a
horse).

E has yet to send a public message containing the entire text of the
Discovery correctly, and hence construction of Nyarlathotep is yet to
begin.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - ex-President/still Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 05:47:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2898

On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> 
Proposal 2898
> Feuds
> Niccolo Flychuck (Uri Bruck)
> 
> 4. If a Feud is over as described in 3a. and members of one Organization
> have won Duels than members of the other Organization it Feuding with.
> Than each member of the former Organization receives 6 points, and each
> member of the latter organization loses 6 points.

Shouldn't this be "have won more Duels"?

> 
> 5. When Organization A is Feuding with Organization B, and a player from
> Organization A is dueling with a player from ORganization B, it is
> considered good form for the each player's Second to be a member of the
> same organization that player is a member of. It is permissible for the
> Second to be a member of neither Organization. It is impermissible for the
> player to have a Second who is a member of the other Organizations.
> However, if a player is a member of both ORganizations A and B, then it is
> permissible for him to have a Second from Organizations A when he is
> Dueling a player from Organization B, and vice versa.
> 
> 6. Any single Duel may count towards more than Feud. No Duel may count
> towards a Feud that started after the Duel ended.

"more than Feud"?

> 
> 7. If a player is a member of two Feuding Organizations A and B, then any
> victory in a duel against a player from Organization A will count as a
> victory by a member of Organization B, and any victory in a duel against a
> player from organization B will count as a victory by a member of
> Organization A.
> "

What if two players are both members of orgs A and B? 

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - ex-President/still Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 11:32:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:

Now I'm really giggling. I thought 600 had been fixed.. But I was confused
with the FM fix, so 572 is not a CWCFJ _yet_. By the time it becomes
unappealable,however, (tue at the earliest) it will be :)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 11:55:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Winter Cap

>+185 breadbox: got a winter cap cause the Harf was back
>
>Intere stingly bread box now has the highest score, and is in excess of the
>Magic Number, but is not achieving a Win ning Condi tion.

This cyle is going for strange to surreal :0

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 11:55:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Big Scam Rising

Does anyone want me to ensure that this cycle cannot be won by points
without a further change in the rules?

I could do it you know.  All I have to do is retract proposal 2878.

Yours,
Slakko

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 12:03:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: K2 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Big Scam Rising

A very nice move ;)

While i'd prefer you didn't... it is counter-scam...

I'll get a chuckle either way

K 2

At 11:55 18/04/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Does anyone want me to ensure that this cycle cannot be won by points
>without a further change in the rules?
>
>I could do it you know.  All I have to do is retract proposal 2878.
>
>Yours,
>Slakko
>
>-- 
>Duncan C. "" Richer aka
>Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
>Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
>Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer
>
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 12:40:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: A break

First: I'm going on a week long vacation in a few hours.  If TGW hurries
with his move in Eleusis I'll have time to make one more move.

Second: I think we should get rid of "Harf the mail"  What do other people
think?

Third: Could someone informally calculate the stock market while I'm gone?
Otherwise it would cause a mess and I don't like the idea of sorting close
to a thousand messages and figuring out how the market changed.  Perhaps
Alvaen or breadbox, who need to deal with most of that stuff anyway.

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 13:04:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A break

On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Towsner wrote:

> First: I'm going on a week long vacation in a few hours.  If TGW hurries
> with his move in Eleusis I'll have time to make one more move.
> 
> Second: I think we should get rid of "Harf the mail"  What do other people
> think?

The concept is great - the execution is the problem.
I would suggest that there be a cap on the maximum number of points that
can be scored at once - say reduce it to 50.  That should stop super-large
sudden scams leading to cycle wins from it, while still making it useful.

Yours,
Slakko
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 13:47:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: A break

> > Second: I think we should get rid of "Harf the mail"  What do other people
> > think?

> The concept is great - the execution is the problem.
> I would suggest that there be a cap on the maximum number of points that
> can be scored at once - say reduce it to 50.  That should stop super-large
> sudden scams leading to cycle wins from it, while still making it useful.

I agree that this may be more the way to go.

Also, the names of players should not be allowed as word choices.  :-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Leslie Spit Treeo:Book of Rejection
Current Book--Jack L. Chalker:The Cybernetic Walrus
If you understood everything I said, you'd be me.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 13:55:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2890

> Proposal 2890
> Do the Banna
> K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

It would have been absolutely perfect if this Proposal had been 2899...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Leslie Spit Treeo:Book of Rejection
Current Book--Jack L. Chalker:The Cybernetic Walrus
Champagne for real friends, and real pain for sham friends.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 14:07:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2890

> > Proposal 2890
> > Do the Banna
> > K 2 (Kelly Kelly)
> 
> It would have been absolutely perfect if this Proposal had been 2899...

But as it is you had P2899 and will be hogging the amber banana tree for at
least another 90 proposals.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 15:23:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Raquel Peres da Silva" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: A break

> > Second: I think we should get rid of "Harf the mail"  What do other
people
> > think?
> 
> The concept is great - the execution is the problem.
> I would suggest that there be a cap on the maximum number of points that
> can be scored at once - say reduce it to 50.  That should stop
super-large
> sudden scams leading to cycle wins from it, while still making it useful.

I hadn't payed much attention to "Harf the mail" yet, but now that I've
read it, I don't dislike it. I'd rather reduce the maximum number of
points, instead of repealing the rule.

Ayla
Priestess of the Order of the Razor Boomerangs

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 15:41:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Question

We're all sending these public messages, but we're not speaking are we -
we're typing.  So there is no proof that anyone has ever "said" a target
word as per Rule 1136, is there?

Did K 2 actually get any points, or was it just a figment of our
imaginations?

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 16:32:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RFC: Stocks proposal

I was looking back over some of my proposals from early on in my time in
Acka, and thought I might try a reworking of my first ever proposal. What do
you all think?

TGW.

- -----

Create a new rule numbered 708 entitled "To the Stocks" and reading as
follows delimited by "ROTTEN-EGG"

ROTTEN-EGG
There exists the location of the Ackanomic Town Square (square) It is a
common location, and it occupies four kaas of land. Located in the square are
several sets of stocks. Whenever a player is sentenced to a sentence in the
stocks they are transported to the square and considered to be "in the
stocks" for the duration of the sentence.

Whenever a player is in the stocks they are treated as if they were in gaol
except for the following differences:

1. There is no limit on the number of public messages they may post in a day
due to the greater ease with which someone in the stocks may communicate.

2. A player in the stocks may give any gift entities to another player [not
organisation], provided the other player is in the Ackanomic Town Square.

Any player may release any other player from the stocks providing they are in
the square and not in the stocks. To do so however is the crime of aiding and
abetting [It is considered good form for any CFCJs with a TRUE verdict on
this crime to give as a penalty a time in the stocks]. If a player is
released from the stocks then their sentence is considered to have ended.

There exists a unique unownable entity called "Cut-me-own-Throat Dibbler"
[Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures, page 15] (Dibbler). Entities owned by
Dibbler are not considered to be in the Treasury. Any player who is in the
square but not in he stocks may purchase any of Dibbler's merchandise for the
prices indicated below:

	Miscellaneous Vegetables:		A$3
	Tomato:				A$5
	Rotten Egg:				A$10

Any merchandise purchased from Dibbler must immediately (i.e. in the same
message) be thrown at a player in the stocks, otherwise it will decompose
(due to it's low quality).

Any player in the stocks who has had anything thrown at them may be ridiculed
with immunity to the politeness moon (within reason). In addition, for each
item thrown at a player there is a chance that that player becomes ill. The
odds are 1 in 20 for miscellaneous vegetables, 1 in 10 for tomatoes and 1 in
5 for rotten eggs. If a player becomes ill in this way then upon their
sentence in the stocks ending they are transferred to the hospital where they
must remain for three days.

At the end of every month Dibbler has all his money confiscated for selling
bad quality goods and this is transferred to a random active player "for
bringing this man's dreadful merchandise to the state's attention".
ROTTEN-EGG

Create a new rule called "The Ackanomic Hospital" with the text as delimited
by KING_SYNDROME

KING_SYNDROME
The Ackanomic Hospital is a common location and a cosy building. Whenever a
player is ill and in the hospital they are encouraged to groan in any public
messages .
KING_SYNDROME

Modify rule 1123 by appending the following LUNATIC delimited text to the
end:

LUNATIC
In addition, whenever a player is found to have snowgod's disease they are
transported to the Ackanomic Hospital where they must remain for three days
whilst they are recovering from their illness.
LUNATIC

Modify rule 709 by replacing the following BORING delimited text with the
following BRAND_NEW delimited text:

BORING
If a player has been selected to judge a CFJ and has not yet accepted or
declined the appointment when e enters the Gaol, e is considered to have
declined the appointment as judge. 
BORING

BRAND_NEW
If a player has been selected to judge a CFJ and has not yet delivered the
verdict, e is considered to have declined the appointment as judge and the
Clerk of the Courts must select a new judge. 
BRAND_NEW

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 16:59:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2894

> Currently the only possession (I don't know whether it qualifies as an
> entity or not, hence the term possession in the rule) which I believe would
> qualify is the Amulet of Yendor. In future, things such as the Little Lamb
> might end up in here.]

For now, entities remain entities even if no longer defined as such by the
Rules.  And what about the Keys to the Vault?

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Leslie Spit Treeo:Book of Rejection
Current Book--Jack L. Chalker:The Cybernetic Walrus
Saturn's saying 'hello' to the DNA

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 17:09:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: Stocks proposal

> I was looking back over some of my proposals from early on in my time in
> Acka, and thought I might try a reworking of my first ever proposal. What do
> you all think?

I think you should tie the Stocks to the Stock Market.  C'mon, you can do
it...:-)

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Leslie Spit Treeo:Book of Rejection
Current Book--Jack L. Chalker:The Cybernetic Walrus
Barkis is up the wrong tree

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 17:11:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2890

> > > Proposal 2890
> > > Do the Banna
> > > K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

> > It would have been absolutely perfect if this Proposal had been 2899...

> But as it is you had P2899 and will be hogging the amber banana tree for at
> least another 90 proposals.

Not if P2890 passes and someone gets three Amber Bananas...  Frankly, I'm
amazed I got P2899, though.  "Mental sharpness."

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Leslie Spit Treeo:Book of Rejection
Current Book--Jack L. Chalker:The Cybernetic Walrus
Day++, Dollar++;

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 17:38:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: Stocks proposal

> > I was looking back over some of my proposals from early on in my time in
> > Acka, and thought I might try a reworking of my first ever proposal. What
do
> > you all think?
> 
> I think you should tie the Stocks to the Stock Market.  C'mon, you can do
> it...:-)

Hmm...maybe I could make a player being released from the stocks into an
action but it's hardly very satisfying. If anyone has any better ideas
then...

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 17:42:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: Stocks proposal

On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> > > I was looking back over some of my proposals from early on in my time in
> > > Acka, and thought I might try a reworking of my first ever proposal. What
> do
> > > you all think?
> > 
> > I think you should tie the Stocks to the Stock Market.  C'mon, you can do
> > it...:-)
> 
> Hmm...maybe I could make a player being released from the stocks into an
> action but it's hardly very satisfying. If anyone has any better ideas
> then...

A player in the Stocks receives a random number of stocks between 1 and 5?
It's cruel to be kind.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 17:51:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2890

On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:
> > > > Proposal 2890
> > > > Do the Banna
> > > > K 2 (Kelly Kelly)
> 
> > > It would have been absolutely perfect if this Proposal had been 2899...
> 
> > But as it is you had P2899 and will be hogging the amber banana tree for at
> > least another 90 proposals.
> 
> Not if P2890 passes and someone gets three Amber Bananas...  Frankly, I'm
> amazed I got P2899, though.  "Mental sharpness."

What do you mean, gets?
Check the entity lists. :-)
I know I'm voting YES on 2890.  Helllloooooo, Acid Rain Dance!
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 20:04:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2890

> > Not if P2890 passes and someone gets three Amber Bananas...  Frankly, I'm
> > amazed I got P2899, though.  "Mental sharpness."

> What do you mean, gets?
> Check the entity lists. :-)

What, I'm the Financier and I have to try to look at the entity lists
_too_?  Geez!

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Song In My Head--Sam Brown:This Feeling
Current Book--Jack L. Chalker:The Cybernetic Walrus
Your cleverness ferments meat without the need of oxygen

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V3 #74
**********************************