Subject: acka-research-digest V3 #55
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest     Wednesday, April 1 1998     Volume 03 : Number 055

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 12:35:14 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Where's all my mail?

> >> If we need a scandal, what about ties of certain players to the
> >> notorious imperial nomic conspiracy that's reaching its tentacles across
> >> the world?
> >
> >And what of it, peon?
> 
> It's Evil, darling puppet.      ; )

CnH, you're missing the entire point. This is not an Imperial nomic
insurgency into Acka but an Ackan insurgency into IN. I think that all but
one of the current players of IN 29 are players of Acka now soon my plan to
crash every other nomic except for Acka will come to pass. The world would be
our oyster. BWAAAHAAAHAHAHAHAAAAHAAAAA!!!!! (Sorry, I was getting a bit
carried away there, I think I've been frinking too much). Actually, there's
my proof, the words frink and harf are both used in IN 29.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 12:35:39 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Inventor

> Does ineligiblity to be nominated for the office preclude one from
> continuing to hold the office if the office was won before the
> ineligibility started?  I don't believe the rules say that, and I thought
> we agreed that it wasn't the case.  In such a case, there is no
> nomination.
> 
> Besides, how can we have a nomination?  No rule has removed two-star from
> the office of inventor as far as I can see, so e's still there performing
> eir duties.

I looked at this in my reasoning for CFJ 541 and did reach that conclusion.
I'm thinking that two-star might be getting a bit more usage out of eir round
tuit at the moment, though.

TGW

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 13:04:37 -0500 (EST)
From: Thierry Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Where's all my mail?

>CnH, you're missing the entire point. This is not an Imperial nomic
>insurgency into Acka but an Ackan insurgency into IN. I think that all but
>one of the current players of IN 29 are players of Acka now soon my plan to
>crash every other nomic except for Acka will come to pass. The world would be
>our oyster. BWAAAHAAAHAHAHAHAAAAHAAAAA!!!!! (Sorry, I was getting a bit
>carried away there, I think I've been frinking too much). Actually, there's
>my proof, the words frink and harf are both used in IN 29.

I wasn't particularly interested in right or wrong, true or false. I'm just
having fun following the rulebook about creating a scandal.    : )

Mind you, finding out about this great plan of yours is very interesting. I
like the idea. I think a full report from our ambassador (with help from
other spi... players), much like a compilation of an atlas/encyclopedia of
other nomics would be invaluable.

I'm going to try something like Tocqueville did in the US. Take a trip to
other nomics and write about them. Hmm... "the hitchhiker's guide to Nomic X"...

CnH
who is ambivalent about oysters: are they good or evil?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 16:49:00 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2794 rejected

On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> Results of Proposal 2794
> 
> 4/11 YES votes: Proposal rejected

Why did people vote against my attempts to clear up long dead harf?

> > Proposal 2794 - Tue 24 Mar 1998 19:13 EST
> > This Has Just Gone on Long Enough.
> > Slakko (Duncan Richer)

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 16:49:45 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: New Players (TGW, Hubert)

> I suggest the Razor Boomerangs change their membership policy to open.
> Since Goldenmean has proxied eir approval and I approve, this happens.

Hahahahahahahahahaha!! You really don't want to do that. I leave Klingon. I
join the Razor Boomerangs and suggest that we kick Hubert out. I then approve
this. Goldenmean has eir approval proxied and Hubert can't vote against this
so it happens. I then suggest the Boomerangs give all their cash to me and
this happens too. I vote against anything to get rid of the boomerangs open
admissions policy. I vote on all proposals in such a way as to stop the
Boomerangs getting a unity vote. I then cackle maniacally. I had problems
like this with Klingon and we had them at SPAM too. Malenkai would have got
in as a permanent member capable of disrupting us if it hadn't been for his
slight lapse in forgetting to leave Vulcan first. It's so nice for this to be
on the other foot.

TGW.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 17:10:33 -0500 (EST)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2794 rejected

On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Duncan Richer wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:
> 
> > Results of Proposal 2794
> > 
> > 4/11 YES votes: Proposal rejected
> 
> Why did people vote against my attempts to clear up long dead harf?

My situation is apparently somewhat ambiguous.  When I was voting on a
string of proposals starting with 2785, I missspelled '2785' as '2794.'
So, according to the Tabulator's files, I should have voted YES on this
one, since I'd intended to vote YES on 2785.

Yesterday, I sent in my actual votes for the series starting with 2794.
It was too late to actually vote on P2794 and the other two due yesterday,
but the votes from the previous message, though erroneous, should have
stood.  The only thing I could think of was that when I admitted those
previous votes were the result of a typo, breadbox discounted them.  In
which case, I thank em for harfing by my intent rather than my actions.

In any case, I'd intended to vote NO on this because I like the fact that
buildings are dangling from tethers.  Even if we can't do anything with it
now, perhaps one of the many fresh new faces will come up with something
even more harfy.

Also, did the recent Tornado rip up any dangling houses?  I didn't see
any such message, but could well have missed it.

- -Hubert

The dog ate my .sig. 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 17:34:26 -0500 (EST)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: New Players (TGW, Hubert)

On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> Hahahahahahahahahaha!! You really don't want to do that. I leave Klingon. I
> join the Razor Boomerangs and suggest that we kick Hubert out. I then approve
> this. Goldenmean has eir approval proxied and Hubert can't vote against this
> so it happens. I then suggest the Boomerangs give all their cash to me and
> this happens too. I vote against anything to get rid of the boomerangs open
> admissions policy. I vote on all proposals in such a way as to stop the
> Boomerangs getting a unity vote. I then cackle maniacally. I had problems

All I have to say is: You are _so_ lucky you did this on acka-research.

Didn't you found Klingon in order to stop exactly this kind of thing? :-)

- -Hubert

The dog ate my .sig. 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 17:37:03 -0500 (EST)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2812

On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Brian Raiter wrote:

> end, I wanted to have a good BoF proposal rather than a patchy one that
> would get the (ridiculously) small amount of extra points. Any one else
> find that problem? ]}}

You wouldn't believe.  My in-the-works "ASS Song: Istanbul (Not
Constantinople)" proposal has a similar problem.  Unless I'm somehow able
to resist the allure of two or three points, pretty much every other
sentence is going to be a Literature citation.

- -Hubert

The dog ate my .sig. 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 20:23:32 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2794 rejected

> Also, did the recent Tornado rip up any dangling houses?  I didn't see
> any such message, but could well have missed it.

I always forget to do that.  Of course, this is my first Tornado as
Speaker, so "always" is a little bit of an overgeneralization...

I'll take a look at the Map tonight and make the determination.  Maybe
it's time for me to revive the Electrolux, perhaps as a Gadget this
time...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Phil Collins:No Jacket Required
Current Book--Jo Clayton:Quester's Endgame
A German time-domain reflectometrist of the eighteenth century liked lettuce.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 23:24:07 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Inventor

> > Does ineligiblity to be nominated for the office preclude one from
> > continuing to hold the office if the office was won before the
> > ineligibility started?  I don't believe the rules say that, and I thought
> > we agreed that it wasn't the case.  In such a case, there is no
> > nomination.

> > Besides, how can we have a nomination?  No rule has removed two-star from
> > the office of inventor as far as I can see, so e's still there performing
> > eir duties.

> I looked at this in my reasoning for CFJ 541 and did reach that conclusion.
> I'm thinking that two-star might be getting a bit more usage out of eir round
> tuit at the moment, though.

Stuff and nonsense.  There is a difference between being "eligible" for an
Office, which only affects Nominations, and not being able to hold the
Office at all, which is what happens with non-voting players for most
offices.

Besides, this is irrelevant because Rule 254 did, in fact, remove two-star
from office quite explicitly.  The nomination is proceeding apace.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Stan Ridgway:Black Diamond
Current Book--Jo Clayton:Quester's Endgame
I was an immortal in a past life.

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V3 #55
**********************************