Subject: acka-research-digest V3 #47
From: [email-masked] (acka-research-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-research-digest     Saturday, March 21 1998     Volume 03 : Number 047

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 13:43:27 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: ASS

> > > I place A$5 into the banna-shaped slot in the ASS control panel(since I
> > > do even happen to be in the Library), and request the song
"Tubthumping"
> > > by Chumbawamba.
> 
> > I'm sorry, but this is more than I can stand. I go to the Library.
> 
> Hey, don't you impugn my favourite song of all of last year!  "I get
> knocked down, but I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down..."

Absolutely. Truely inspired lyrics. "He drinks a whiskey drink, he drinks a
vodka drink, he drinks a lager drink, he drinks a cider drink." Undeniably
the very peek of sophistication... :-)

Just thank your lucky stars you're already embroiled in a duel. Actually,
nothing in the rules prevents me from having a duel with you whilst you are
acting as Goldenmean's second. Which would mean that this is the perfect
chance for us to have that rematch from our ghost duel a while back (if of
course you choose ghost as the game...). Anyone else dislike Chumbawumba
enough to want to be my second (I'm not going to ask anyone privately because
it might turn out that they actually like them (for some bizarre reason))?
Reply privately (i.e. don't just hit reply) if you are interested.

> > And inside, the jukebox roars like thunder.
> 
> > I place A$5 into the banna shaped slot in the ASS control panel, and
request
> > the song "Don't stop me now" by Queen.
> 
> Okay, this has been one of my favourite songs for a long time(since I was
> about 8, I think), so I guess I'll let it pass this time.

I'm glad to hear it. If you had said otherwise then I don't think a duel
would suffice. I think a personal vendetta of vengeance starting with voting
against all your proposals and finishing out with me seeking you out in the
real world and torturing you until you said you despised Chumbawumba and
loved Queen. But you didn't. So I don't have to (phew).

TGW, surprised at how violent e can get.

PS if anyone says that the lyrics to "Don't stop me now" aren't exactly
sophisticated then I'll thwapp them so many times they'll wish they'd never
been born.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 19:50:24 -0500 (EST)
From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2790

>K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

>{{[ For those of you who are champing at the bit to submit agenda hats,
>this proposal will speed up the process ;) ]}}
	And give you a win as well.  Frankly, I like the CSR better.

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	Success is the child of audacity.
		-Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 21:18:27 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: ASS

> > Hey, don't you impugn my favourite song of all of last year!  "I get
> > knocked down, but I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down..."

> Absolutely. Truely inspired lyrics. "He drinks a whiskey drink, he drinks a
> vodka drink, he drinks a lager drink, he drinks a cider drink." Undeniably
> the very peek of sophistication... :-)

Catchy, though, aren't they?  I must say that I've never been of the
"lyrics are the only thing about a song that matters" school of thought.
If that were the case, I'd read poetry.  I go more towards the "lyrics
are there to make people listen to music longer than they normally would".
No, not quite there either, but I'm more likely to like a song because of
its interesting rhythmic pattern than its erudite lyrics.  The overemphasis
of lyrics is one thing wrong with music in the 90's, IMHO.  But then, I
may just be a curmudgeon whose musical up-to-dateness peaked in 1986.

> Just thank your lucky stars you're already embroiled in a duel. Actually,
> nothing in the rules prevents me from having a duel with you whilst you are
> acting as Goldenmean's second. Which would mean that this is the perfect
> chance for us to have that rematch from our ghost duel a while back (if of
> course you choose ghost as the game...). Anyone else dislike Chumbawumba
> enough to want to be my second (I'm not going to ask anyone privately because
> it might turn out that they actually like them (for some bizarre reason))?
> Reply privately (i.e. don't just hit reply) if you are interested.

I'm game, anti-Chumbawamboid!  I await your challenge.  (And anyone who
likes Chumbawamba, or at the very least thinks that my musical thoughts
above make sense, contact me about being _my_ Second...)

> > > the song "Don't stop me now" by Queen.

> > Okay, this has been one of my favourite songs for a long time(since I was
> > about 8, I think), so I guess I'll let it pass this time.

> I'm glad to hear it. If you had said otherwise then I don't think a duel
> would suffice. I think a personal vendetta of vengeance starting with voting
> against all your proposals and finishing out with me seeking you out in the
> real world and torturing you until you said you despised Chumbawumba and
> loved Queen. But you didn't. So I don't have to (phew).

Well, in my formative years I listened to pretty much two bands--ABBA and
Queen.  And a lot of musicals.

> PS if anyone says that the lyrics to "Don't stop me now" aren't exactly
> sophisticated then I'll thwapp them so many times they'll wish they'd never
> been born.

You can't get much better than "Two hundred degrees, that's why they call
me Mr. Fahrenheit", can you?  Unless those aren't the actual lyrics, since
they are admittedly based on what I thought they were when I was 8...

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Song--Falco:The Sound of Musik
Current Book--Jane Yolen:White Jenna
Turgid saxophones blew over Mick's jazzy quiff.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 22:49:16 -0500 (EST)
From: Hubert <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: ASS

On Sat, 21 Mar 1998, Aaron V. Humphrey wrote:

> Catchy, though, aren't they?  I must say that I've never been of the
> "lyrics are the only thing about a song that matters" school of thought.

Hmmm.  I've heard very persuasive arguments in favor of the exact opposite
view, and tend more toward that opinion myself, especially with regards to
pop music.  In terms of musicals, though, the lyrics are obviously more
crucial than in pop, since they have a plot to advance.  (Anyone want to
agree with me that the lyrics to symphonic music are by far the best? :-))

> Well, in my formative years I listened to pretty much two bands--ABBA and
> Queen.  And a lot of musicals.

While we're on the subject of musicals, does anyone remember the actual
name of the "Try the Priest" song from Sweeney Todd?  I've been trying to
remember the name so I can play it for about a week now.  Speaking of
which, I saw a performance the other day with Angela Lansbury as Mrs.
Lovett.  A far cry, if I may say, from "Murder, She Wrote," and
commensurately delectable.  So to speak.

> You can't get much better than "Two hundred degrees, that's why they call
> me Mr. Fahrenheit", can you?  Unless those aren't the actual lyrics, since
> they are admittedly based on what I thought they were when I was 8...

Good memory.  Both songs are now up on the DJ's page, with a link to
(Alfvaen should appreciate this) the Chumbawamba home page.

[ And you can get better than it: "And though their souls may not have
been saved, they went to their Maker impeccably shaved... by Sweeney
Todd... the demon barber of Fleet Street." ]

Sorry, it's just so hard to get these songs out of your head.

- -Hubert

Dog for sale: eats anything and is fond of children. 

------------------------------

End of acka-research-digest V3 #47
**********************************